Follow our progress ...

My Blueberry NightmareMy Blueberry Nightmare

Birrificio Del Ducato
Italy | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

An extension of Birrificio Del Ducato's Verdi Imperial Stout - My Blueberry Nightmare is a stout brewed with hot chili, then aged for 2 years in oak barrels with blueberries.

Added by woosterbill on 08-31-2012

Reviews: 50 | Ratings: 252
Reviews by vicsju1991:
4.25/5  rDev +29.6%

4.65/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this last night on tap at Ebenezer's, served in a tulip glass.

A: Looks like a stout almost, but has a slight blue hue. 1/2 inch of head lingers a few minutes before dissipating. I was surprised how dark it was.

S: Blueberries and vinegar. You can tell there's sourness awaiting.

T: Again, blueberries dominate, along with the sour element. There are also very subtle hints of oak, but they're overpowered by the fresh wild blueberry flavor. While drinking this, I had no idea the alcohol was 11%....it's hidden incredibly well. I've had several blueberry beers in the past, but this is by far the best.

M: Very nice for a sour. Certainly not watery, and leaning a bit more toward the creamy end.

Overall: I don't understand nor agree with a few of the low reviews of this beer. I'm guessing they're from people who don't appreciate the sour style. I found it to be fantastic and cannot wait to have another poured at Ebenezer's today. I usually gravitate toward the IPA's, but if this is what a sour can be, count me in as a fan.

4.85/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Italian Beers get a bad rap. Especially because Italians drink them, and the beer scene over there is still growing, so a lot of Italians aren't used to extreme beer.

If someone who's not really into beer tries most of Ducato's offerings, they might find it repulsive.

Ducato truly encompasses the idea of 'artisanal' beer. For this reason it takes quite the palate to appreciate the complexities of their creations. And I promise I only sound like this much of a snobby cunt when talking about Italian beers.

This is batch #4. Can't tell how old it is - Italian brewers aren't the best at dating their bottles.

Its base beer is (I believe) Ducato Verdi, which is the best stout coming out of Italy in my opinion. Brewed with some chiles, but they only add a bit of extra complexity; it is by no means a chile beer. This stout is then aged on blueberries in (I believe) some sort of oak whiskey barrels for two years. The souring yeast is not brettanomyces but rather pediococcus. This gives it a different sort of tartness.

On the nose, very sour (but not the same brett sour we're used to with things like OEC's beers). I can actually smell blueberry.

Taste is first a quick hit of sour, follow by a wave of juicy tartness. It doesn't scream blueberry unfortunately, but not many sours do. I do get hints of that berry flavor. It mellows out and you can pick apart all of the complexities; the oak is strong, but there's a bit of whiskey-ish barrely notes (if that makes sense). The end is the best part; aftertaste stings just a bit with that lingering chile.

Overall, a truly unique beer. I was hesitant to try it because of the Italian price tag (and because, no matter how much I love Italian beers, some are big hits and others are big misses). I'm glad I did.

My ending message: Don't pay attention to ratings on these sites when you're looking at Italian beers. Many of the ratings are from people who's craftiest beers are Guinness and Hoegaarden.

Ducato, once again, great brew. Keep being fucking weird.

Deep, dark and delicious. Unique blend that results in a memorable sour blueberry malt with a tasteful touch of seaweed. The feel is a pretty dead but I love the unusual flavors.

4.75/5  rDev +44.8%

3.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

4.5/5  rDev +37.2%

L: Pours opaque deep dense dark brown to black with virtually no cap.
S: The nose is huge, searing the inside of your nostrils and is detectable from a few feet away and everchanging with blueberries, sour funk with traces of wet diaper and old sweatsocks, chilis, chili vegetal, coffee, chocolate and dank.
T: there is chili heat all the way through with blueberries bigger in the middle, a light chili vegetal undercurrent, and finishing with a big, intense tartness. The imperial stout flavors are way in the background and provide more int terms of texture and flavor. Not much whiskey going on either.
F: Medium body and medium high carbonation.
O: This is more of an experience than a drink with the heat, blueberry and tartness playing off one another. A lunatic beer not for the faint off heart.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Complex and wonderful - amazed by the low reviews.

2.25/5  rDev -31.4%

2.47/5  rDev -24.7%

A - Dark chocolate with blueberry accents. No head or foam.

S - Blueberry pie, lactic acid, slight acetone. Tart nose to it.

T - Balsamic vinegar with a slight funky, almost gym sock presence to it. Barely any blueberry but lots of acetone.

MF - Tart with tons of carbonation to it. Good funk and dry finish

O -I didn't enjoy this one too much as the gym sock presence with the acetone threw it off.

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

4.12/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Batch 3 poured into Ommegang chalice.
A - Color over a blackberry, black with reddish-violets tones underneath. Nearly no head at all. No lacing.
S - vinegar, stewed blueberries,
T - a bit acetic, puckering, very faint barrel, chocolate and berry. Some spice from the pepper. Borderline of being a mess or a genius balance of vastly different flavors. I tend to be swayed to the genius side.
M - on the dry side of light medium feel. No presence of alcohol for a 9.4% brew.
O - Wow! A bit all over the place. Not really much presence of stout qualities. If you like tart, sour beers, this is a must try. 1 bottle max though.

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

2.11/5  rDev -35.7%

This was one of our New Year's beers. The venue was Trappist Provisions in Oakland - the new satellite bar of the excellent Trappist, Oakland.

We did their list, beer by beer, from BFM to Black Hole, and it was varied and mostly marvelous.

The only loser on the list was this Italian fiasco. We ordered it for the sake of completion, to make sure we tried everything. We knew full well that anything called "My Blueberry Nightmare" is probably a mistake. But how big? Well read on...

So the beer was pretty enough. Trappist Provisions will provide a masterful pour no matter what. The Ducato had a good thick chocolaty head, a rich dark color, and was picture perfect. But take a whiff....that's where the problems begin.

The taste and the smell.... I'm reminded of the Violet Beauregarde scene in Willy Wonka. The blueberry is a giant swollen overpowering mass. Charlie and Grandpa could rip off all your shit while you aren't looking because all you can do is pay attention to the giant blueberry while the Oompa Loompas run around trying to mitigate the disaster.

And then when the blueberry has died down, there's the chili flavor. It's subtle. Not spicy. Just a touch of acrid bite at the back of your throat. And that's really not good. It's less of a flavor than just a feeling, like a touch of acid reflux much earlier in the evening than you were planning. Foreshadowing in literature = good. Foreshadowing in digestion = bad.

So, overall this beer is a gimmicky mix of overpowering elements. And not a very well considered mixture at that. In fact, there might be a beer under there, but I wouldn't know.

Sorry Italy, we gave this beer the boot.

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

3.92/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this one on a past ticking trip to Asheville! Served from tap into a sampler snifter. Poured a massively dark brown (almost black) with a one finger tan head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, blueberry, tart, sour, and subtle roasted malt. The flavor was of sweet malt, blueberry, blackberry, tart, sour, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. I really rather enjoyed the fruit aspect that was going on this one. As the name would suggest blueberry played a substantial role in this brew. Since blueberry is a very delicate flavor I was surprised at how well they were able to keep in forward in the brew throughout. I would definitely enjoy having this one again and would not hesitate to suggest it to others.

4.1/5  rDev +25%

Definitely strange, but I like it. Mainly roasty, but with traces of sweetness and some spiciness on the roof of the mouth in the finish.

3.88/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: This beer is terribly awesome. If you're into sours, you're golden except for the smell.

A: Dark dark purple as it gets. Hardly any head retention after pouring.

S: Imagine smelling nail polish remover with a bit of sharp dried fruit behind it and the tiniest of oak notes. Not very appealing.

T: Just tastes super sour (which I'm all about) with tart blueberries, oak, vanilla, dried plums, decaying chillis and some chocolate. It's a vast improvement from the nose for sure.

F: Fuller body with almost no carbonation but still pretty smooth and a good amount of tannins adding in a lot of dryness. Definitely suits the flavor profile.

O: I'm actually a big fan of this beer excluding the smell. It was just very hard to bear because I love smelling my beer before I take a sip every time. This made me take a lot of self control to not do that.

1.5/5  rDev -54.3%

3.95/5  rDev +20.4%

Very murky in appearance. Lots going on with this one. Surprised by the low ratings, but the complex flavors were great

My Blueberry Nightmare from Birrificio Del Ducato