My Blueberry Nightmare - Birrificio Del Ducato

My Blueberry NightmareMy Blueberry Nightmare

Birrificio Del Ducato visit their website
Italy

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.40% ABV

An extension of Birrificio Del Ducato's Verdi Imperial Stout - My Blueberry Nightmare is a stout brewed with hot chili, then aged for 2 years in oak barrels with blueberries.

(Beer added by: woosterbill on 08-31-2012)

1.31/5  rDev -59.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Sweet Jesus, this was awful. I give an "A" for effort, as the list of ingredients was appealing, but after pouring it in my glass and taking a whiff, I got nervous. It has a bizarre, slightly-sour note to it, but it reminded me of the smell of nail polish. I thought "what the hell", took a gulp, and knocked it down. Before it could clear my throat, I thought my flesh was under attack from the inside. The peppers literally felt like they were clutching at me and trying to eat a hole through, and I had to gag down one more taste just to confirm that I didn't make up that sensation. Only thing I enjoyed was the color, as it looked deep and inviting with a rust-tinged hue to it. Otherwise, one of the worst things I've ever had.

1.36/5  rDev -58.2%

Appearance - pours dark like a typical stout. No head whatsoever.

Aroma - funky with blueberry notes. Vinegary, a touch of wood.

Taste - super tart and acetic. Tart blueberry, vinegar, and chili pepper heat on the aftertaste. This is really hard to drink, even for the purpose of sampling. The vinegar is over the top, making it near impossible to find anything remotely beer-like.

Mouthfeel - medium-bodied is about as far as I'm going. I don't want to drink anymore to expound on this.

Overall - split with my buddy Nick, half glass shouldn't be hard to polish off, right? One and done. Actually, less than one, first drain pour in years.

1.64/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Yikes...
Dark purplish-black pour, muddy, with just a few straggling bubbles on top; no lacing to speak of. Big whiff of acetone and Easter egg dye, thick berry muddle. Yeah, this was...well at least they got the "Nightmare" part right. This was tasting pretty dreadful, as promised by the aroma, pretty much all acetone and vinegar, solventy booze, sour wet bread. Whew...what a mess. Nothing worth noting as far as mouthfeel and drinkability, other than it really wasn't drinkable. Some folks might enjoy this as a novelty item, but I think it's crazy that this is actually marketable.

1.75/5  rDev -46.2%