Hip Hop - Hollister Brewing Co.

Hip Hop
No picture uploaded.

Hollister Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: ReDave on 06-22-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

Believe I had this at the Bistro Double IPA fest, memory kind of has a hard time keeping up at that thing. Good think I took notes.

Appearance looks just as good as any IPA. Developed some darker hues than I typically see for a double IPA. Smell isn't too piney or citrus. Has a more restrained effervesence as the carbonation was very much in a proper way.

Taste was quite well, I didn't vote it for a medal, but hey, the competition's tight. Very alcoholic, but enjoyable. Couldn't pin the exact hop profile with this one. Didn't disappoint, didn't make me want, in terms of drinkability, to go after more. Mouthfeel, remained constant throughout.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 05, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

I haven’t been on my crazy insanely highly hopped kick for a few months. I just haven’t. I guess I kind of forgot how fucking brilliant a truly delicious DIPA fresh off the line can be. This was a fine reminder.

Pours a an amber color – I went with a 10 ounce pour since I knew this trip to Santa Barbara was a beer trip and there was still miles to go before I slept. It didn’t make much matter, as I ended up having 2 of these – so much for my smaller pour plan. There are a lot of hops here in the aroma. You get a bouquet of citrus, pine and caramel. You get a good ole Cascade hop mouth punch with your first sip. It’s glorious. I may a pact that I would keep my weekday drinking to a minimum now that the World Series is over. It hurts. I wanted a growler of this so badly. Hollister is great.

sloejams, Nov 13, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

On-tap at the brewpub, served in a 10oz nonic. This batch weighs in at 9.5%. Reviewed from notes:

Decent clarity, light amber body with a thin smattering of ghost white foam which recedes to a minute collar and slick. Average lacing, light tears.

Nice potent aroma with sweet floral and light citrus notes, along with a touch of pine-like spice.

Super fresh hops on the palate without being as potent/abrasive as some more extreme examples of the style. Nice citrus-skin fruit flavors are absorbed by pine. Long bitter finish with a touch of grapefuit pith and a faint herbal note.

Medium-bodied, almost creamy, but well carbonated. The bitterness and alcohol play off one another for different types of "warmth" in the mouth-feel.

A typical West Coast DIPA here, but the freshness and light malt balance elevate the flavor profile and drinkability compared to many others. Well done.

augustgarage, Jun 13, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

I am in Santa Barbara with my parents for the Thanksgiving holidays and had to check out Hollister's for a quick drink after alex3891 recommended I try their DIPA.

Appearance - Poured into a standard pint glass with a deep orange/caramel color. About a finger of nice sticky white head was achieved with the bartenders pour that dissipates relatively slowly, literally coating the sides of the glass all the way down once the drink is finished.

Smell - Freaking amazing. Massive amounts of sweet peach and apricot explode from the nose. Slight bitter citrus such as grapefruit rind orange peel come through a bit later, mixed in with slight hops and pine. Overall, an utter citrus bomb in aroma. I can't wait to drink this.

Taste - I was hoping the taste would be similar to the nose, and it most certainly was. The initial flavor is like candied citrus. Peaches, mangos, apricots...immense sweet fruit. I love the sweetness to this beer not from the malts but from the fruits. Reminds me of the Oracle from Bell's. Very good.

Mouthfeel - Nice and creamy, medium bodied, lower carbonation. Finishes slick.

Drinkability - For an almost 10% DIPA it was quite drinkable. It did become just a bit cloying from the sweetness at the end of my glass but honestly, I could drink this all night long. Hollister's made a knockout!

SpdKilz, Nov 25, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance -Body is a deep orange/caramel color.Nice, sticky, white 2 finger head with decent retention.

Smell - Very nice hop aroma. Good floral hops with notes of citrus (orange peel and grapefruit). Nice, subtle pinyness in the nose too.

Taste- Powerful malt presence well mixed with hops. Very little malt sweetness. Good amount of citrus and pinyness without being cloying.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, good carbonation.

Drinkability - Quite nice!

theopholis, Dec 12, 2010

jaydoc, Nov 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I've had this on tap dozens of times - my go to beer at Hollister when it is on tap.

Excellent floral hop aroma that informs you quite nicely that you are in for a juicy hop bomb.

Lots of citrusy, West Coast hops in the taste. Very juicy with just enough malt backbone to keep this from being a super-dry DIPA. Nice bitterness at the end.

Through and through an excellent West Coast DIPA.

Also, while listed at 8.6%, this beer is usually running around 9.2% or so.

rallison, Dec 31, 2009

kdown, Jun 27, 2012

raulazzer, Nov 30, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Consumed 05/25/08. Noted as 9.3% ABV on my visit.

Clear amber/gold with a thin skin of foam for a head.

Aroma is piney hops.

First thing I noticed about the flavor was a hint of solvent. Ack! Raw, green hop character also present; if you've had DFH 120 Minute without proper age on it, you know what I mean. Strong sweet malt character here as well. Thick, almost oily mouthfeel thanks to the aggressive hopping.

Balance isn't really pulled off despite obvious effort of brewer.

All that being said, this is still a drinkable enough DIPA and you could do a lot worse.

charlzm, May 27, 2008

drewone, Jun 01, 2013

On-tap at Hollister Brewing

Pours a golden orange color with a white head and some mild lacing. A lot of fruity hop notes on the aroma. Heavy on the pineapple and grapefruit, for the most part. There is a touch of caramel with a fair amount of pine. Nicely fruity, though somewhat sweet. Tropical fruits, pineapple, and grapefruit along with a little sweetness of caramel. The pine hop flavor does provide a nice bitterness, too.

womencantsail, Feb 01, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I had several "pulls" at the Real Ale Festival at Port Brewing in Carlsbad. I went back several times as it was very tasty.

At the time i assumed it was Hollister as in the city south [ish] of Gilroy. WRONG!

With in a couple of weeks I read about the Santa Barbara Breweries article, and realized This was Hollister as in avenue, as in my home town of SB/Goleta [the good lands]

So, to the beer, I also raced down and had a couple of pints in the tavern, so this is also about the tap beer as well.

Nice color, nice aroma, nice bitter ipa with the double action of extra malt. Would like to have this again!

ReDave, Jun 22, 2007

jakecattleco, Jul 20, 2014

bh123, Apr 17, 2013

Sideswipe, Jul 09, 2014
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Enjoyed on 08-16-2008. From the tap. The first in a sampler of 6 at Hollister Brewing Co. in Goleta, CA.

A: Medium amber, clear thin head.

S: Hops up front. I got some herbals & citruses.

T: Hip-hoppy. Some citrus. Somewhat bitter.

M: Medium-full. Mild Carbonation

D: Not quite a session (ABV up around 9%), but quite drinkable.

Overall, a very good example of a Double IPA. I even bought the t-shirt (well, how could you turn down a cartoon hop with a gold chain & teeth?).

ILikeGoodCider, Aug 17, 2008
3.44/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Hollister Brewing Company in Goleta, CA.

Pours a clear gold with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. A foamy curtain of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, herbal hops, and slight citrus aromas. Taste is much the same with honey and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that has a better taste over smell in my opinion.

UCLABrewN84, Jun 04, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -14%

CelticAleMan, Jun 23, 2013

largefarva, Feb 21, 2012

EinWeizenbitte, Dec 29, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a burnt orange color for me with a little white head. Carbonation was good. Nose was a little citrus, mainly orange peel and grapefruit and hoppy but not hoppy. Taste followed suit with some big citrus and a floral notes and lots of hops. Tasted like it was dry hopped as well. Tasted fresher of course from the tap. Lots of grapefruit and orange peel. Very good IIPA
///
My 2nd growler fill on 9-19-2009
This batch was BIG grapefruit, orange peel, toasted malt, caramel. BIG HOPS. Drinkability is low on this. This is the biggest IIPA I have EVER had! One pint and I was buzzed and I drink big beer. Taste is good but the pucker fctor from the sheer amount of hops is unreal and obnoxious after the 2nd pint(as my speech slurs)

barleywinefiend, Sep 21, 2009

photomike, Dec 15, 2011

t0rin0, Oct 14, 2012

GraduatedCashew, Feb 24, 2014
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Hip Hop from Hollister Brewing Co.