Caybrew - Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.

CaybrewCaybrew

poor

Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Cayman Islands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2007)
Reviews by WoodBrew:
3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

3.33/5  rDev +22%

Poured from a bottle into a clear plastic beach cup. Pours deep straw/light golden in color with a thin and airy head. Retention and lacing are typically light for the style.

Offers a clean lager nose with some yeast, a touch of hops and a small amount of corn mixed in with other grains. Not skunky at all and the corn isn't a deterrent given the ratio.

Taste is slightly sweet but pleasant and easy. Any sweetness present is light in viscosity yielding a smooth feel and a light creamy texture on the finish. Offers good drinkability and is pretty well balanced. More of a less robust and improved Pacifico than a Heineken I would say. Moderate in body, drinks like a Euro/American combination lager; Euro in the hops department and with a light corn adjunct.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

11.157 (?) oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. 5% ABV, Best by end (BBE): Jun/10 on neck.

Thanks to my friend Jason for bringing two bottles of this to share from his Honeymoon!

A - Pours crystal clear allowing all the carbonation bubbles to be visible. A big white head pops up with some loud effervescence only to drop to a thin layer quickly. No lace.

S - It's got the classic Euro Lager skunkiness to it. In the background are pale and pilsner smelling malts wrapped in a dry straw and husky nose. Crisp and clean with a low sweetness.

T - Pale malts with lots of dry straw and an off-putting huskiness. The typical skunkiness is there giving the finish a slightly unpleasant taste. Low lingering sweetness.

M - Slick on the tongue with a thin body and flavor. Moderately carbonated and crisp to the finish.

D - I can see it washing down well on a warm island but here, it's mediocre at best. Just another Euro lager that's a fair session beer. I can't say I'd be opposed to pounding a bunch of these under the sun though.

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

I've had a couple (40-50) in the past couple days. Good for an Island style lager but definately not anything to call home about. They are one notch above BMC swill.

Yellow with white quick vanishing head, good carbonation. Had mine out of cans and bottles and the both taste the same. Has a strange modeling clay flavor similar to a Yuengling. Most people call it a malty flavor but being an avid hombrewer I have to disagree, malt does not taste like modeling clay, at least not any malt I have purchased and brewed with.

They equip it with that nasty skunk flavor which again everyone has been attributing to UV violation but I have to again disagree. I think it is coming from the hop species they are using. The Uropean lagers all seem to have it and it's nasty. Nobody who shoud be in bussiness would intentionally skunk there beer...I hope?!

2.3/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured a light golden color with a small amount of white fluffy head.

The smell was mostly of corn, grains, and yeast.

This beer tasted mostly of the above, corn, grains, and yest.

Light-bodied crisp feel, a bit watery with high carbonation.

This was an average drinker, although not very tasty, it was basically a cheaper tasting Heineken but more expensive. Not a bad idea to give it a try if you're in the Caymans but it's not something I would seek out.

2.9/5  rDev +6.2%

The CANQuest (TM) lives! My uncle came by with a few boxes for me and my first reaction was incredulousness since I was only expecting a couple of boxes. I opened one to discover this gem along with a Cigar City BC bottled beer to keep it company! It came with a handwritten note from GallowsThief explaining that he had recently been traveling in the Caribbean and thought of me and my madness. Wow! It is moments like this that reaffirm my devotion to CANs.

It was a pretty innocuous looking red, white and blue CAN without much to impart other than: "Brewed and packaged to the highest international standards by the Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd."; "The Premium Beer of the Cayman Islands".

The Crack & Glug resulted in better than a finger of fizzy bone-white head that looked like meringue atop the beer until it slowly fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a slightly metallic tang along with a cereal quality. This site has it listed as a "Euro Pale Lager", but it smelled like an AAL to me. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was initially slightly metallic, but I also got a standard lager sweetness, so I may have been mistaken about the presence of adjuncts. Finish was semi-dry and refreshing, which would be a definite plus in the Caymans. It is a pretty standard lager, in keeping with the low-key style. Decent, but not worth seeking out.

Keep 'em coming!

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.15/5  rDev +15.4%

First stop on my recent cruise was Georgetown Grand Cayman where I had the opportunity to sample a few bottles of Caybrew while waiting for the line to the tender to go down. Served in a green bottle at Margaritaville by a waitress who seemed put out when I asked for a glass.
Pours a fizzy yellow bordering on gold with a good sized fluffy white head that dissipates quickly.
Smells of light grains a hint of corn and a slight floral hop note if I think about it real hard.
Taste is light and refreshing and hits the spot on this 90+ degree day. Light sweet malt with a hint of floral hops and a hint of skunk. Reminds me a lot of Heiniken or what I remember of Heniken.
Light body, crisp carbonation, watery mouthfeel. Light and refreshing on a warm day but little in the way of flavor for my wrecked palette.

3.23/5  rDev +18.3%

Served in a plastic cup at the Greater Cayman Island turtle farm it produced a small white head that failed to lace the plastic. The appearance was straw yellow and clear. The aroma was lightly hopped. The taste was slightly bittered with a noticeable adjunct in the background. Light feel and moderate carbonation with clean finish. This is a very good item to use to wash down the turtle soup on a hot day. Comparable to the US majors but closer to Bud than Coors, for example.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

I was on Grand Cayman as part of a cruise and spent the day at a beach front bar on the famous 7 mile beach. I was more than excited to try the local brew, as I am everywhere I go. I ordered a Caybrew draft, which when poured into a plastic cup (less than ideal I know) looked very light and resembled many of keg beer that I drank in college. The smell and taste was also very reminiscent of a cheap domestic keg beer. I wouldn't have been surprised if the bartender had told me that they hooked up the wrong keg and I had received a draft of Busch or Natural light. I was fairly disappointed and spent the rest of the day drinking Red Stripes. I would only recommend this beer just to say that you have tasted it.

Caybrew from Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.