Caybrew - Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.

CaybrewCaybrew

poor

Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Cayman Islands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2007)
3.73/5  rDev +37.1%

Could have sworn that I reviewed this beer before, but I guess not. Luckily, I had a friend bring me a 6er back from his trip. There's nothing that really stands out about this beer, except that it's not as skunky as other Euro lagers I've had. If anything, it's quite refreshing, with a nice balance of malts and hops. It's definitely a great beer for the hot summers down here, but I enjoy it on a cool evening as well.

The first time I tried it, I went on the free brewery tour. They gave out free bottomless "samples" in huge pilsner glasses, so I couldn't really complain about that at all. Very nice people run the brewery and a cool black lab out back.

JISurfer, Jan 21, 2010

mojohawk21, Nov 30, 2012

WoodBrew, Feb 22, 2014

SteveSexton203, Jun 27, 2014
3.33/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured from a bottle into a clear plastic beach cup. Pours deep straw/light golden in color with a thin and airy head. Retention and lacing are typically light for the style.

Offers a clean lager nose with some yeast, a touch of hops and a small amount of corn mixed in with other grains. Not skunky at all and the corn isn't a deterrent given the ratio.

Taste is slightly sweet but pleasant and easy. Any sweetness present is light in viscosity yielding a smooth feel and a light creamy texture on the finish. Offers good drinkability and is pretty well balanced. More of a less robust and improved Pacifico than a Heineken I would say. Moderate in body, drinks like a Euro/American combination lager; Euro in the hops department and with a light corn adjunct.

HalfFull, Feb 13, 2009

beerhunter13, May 05, 2012

pourmeadrink, Oct 16, 2013

BlueMoon10, Jul 28, 2013

Scott_at_Beer_Frog, Dec 29, 2012

Julian4077, May 11, 2012
3.23/5  rDev +18.8%

Served in a plastic cup at the Greater Cayman Island turtle farm it produced a small white head that failed to lace the plastic. The appearance was straw yellow and clear. The aroma was lightly hopped. The taste was slightly bittered with a noticeable adjunct in the background. Light feel and moderate carbonation with clean finish. This is a very good item to use to wash down the turtle soup on a hot day. Comparable to the US majors but closer to Bud than Coors, for example.

rfabian, Nov 29, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +15.8%

First stop on my recent cruise was Georgetown Grand Cayman where I had the opportunity to sample a few bottles of Caybrew while waiting for the line to the tender to go down. Served in a green bottle at Margaritaville by a waitress who seemed put out when I asked for a glass.
Pours a fizzy yellow bordering on gold with a good sized fluffy white head that dissipates quickly.
Smells of light grains a hint of corn and a slight floral hop note if I think about it real hard.
Taste is light and refreshing and hits the spot on this 90+ degree day. Light sweet malt with a hint of floral hops and a hint of skunk. Reminds me a lot of Heiniken or what I remember of Heniken.
Light body, crisp carbonation, watery mouthfeel. Light and refreshing on a warm day but little in the way of flavor for my wrecked palette.

johnnnniee, May 04, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +14%

A surprisingly good Lager comming out of the hot-weather culture that applauds beers of low flavor in favor of fizz, cold, and anything void of true malt.

Caybrew has a firm, yet light, malt character of pilsner grains, cracker-like flavor and soft sweetness- low on grain flavors, this beer is mellow and smooth. Hop aroma is floral and elegant, similar to noble German varieties and is present in aroma, flavor, and a soft bitter balance. No real flaws to the beer except maybe a light buttery note that blends in well with the malt sweetness and may even give the body a smooth texture, rather the being a deterant.

A good beer in the end- one I didn't expect to be.

BEERchitect, Mar 11, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer smells a bit sweet and slightly malty.

Color is light yellow with a nice 2.5 finger head that dissipates to less than 1/4 inch after a few minutes. Clumpy lacing remains on the inside of my glass for the duration..all is well with apperance here.

Taste is of bready malt, slightly sweet with a sharp finish reminicient of Euro beers, but not like the sharp skunk of a Heinekin...more like that of a beer with more quality. Other reviews mention the macro quality of the beer, which is there for sure, but its much better (in my opinion) than Bud, Coors, or Miller.

The overall quality of this beer is pretty good, but not great. It tastes fresh and will quench your thirst. Its very drinkable. I will order it again when in the Caymans.

diverite, Feb 28, 2012

tfsimpkins, Feb 10, 2012

inspektor, Jul 22, 2013

wiltznucs, Jun 30, 2013

For what this is, and toward whom it's targeted, this ain't bad. The fellow across the street knows I'm "into beer" and brought me a can of this back from a trip to the island. It poured up a straw yellow colour, just as I suspected. Smelled a little biscuity and kinda reminded me of MGD. Tasted that way, too. In the heat on the island, I can totally see pounding these ice cold. Buying this on a routine trip to the beer store? Definitely not. Oh well. Glad I got to taste something out of the ordinary.

SilentSabre, May 07, 2009

DaveMiller, Apr 30, 2014

ZachRusk, Jul 22, 2012
2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours golden yellow with a foamy white head that fades after 30-60 seconds. Has a bitter, woody, light nose. The taste is pure macro lager, light bodied with slight saaz hops. Does not go down as clean as most lagers, and has a bit too sharp of a mouthfeel for the style. Over all it is a fairly drinkable beer. Great for those hot days in the islands.

dherling, Jul 23, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Purchased in the Grand Caymans and transported home. Had a few there but I was in no shape after multiple towers of mixed drinks to review. Or taste it.

A – Almost transparent straw yellow. One of the lighter brews I have seen in awhile. Quick foamy stark white head that leaves in a rush.

S – Very malty smell. Corn. Sweet.

T – Has a grainy taste with a bit of malty sweetness like the nose. Not much else.

M – Clean and light bodied. Good carbonation.

O – If you are in the Caymans hell grab a few. This is not memorable but it’s a great brew for drinking on a steamy hot day. Perfect island beer.

GallowsThief, Aug 07, 2011
2.93/5  rDev +7.7%

A pretty looking beer but has very little else going for it.
Reminded my of a English export lager but without much bitterness. Taste is American macro.

Nice bright color and a thin head. Smells a bit grassy with some sour noes. Flavor not impressive. A bit watery on the tongue.
Quite drinkable for a hot climate but I wouldn't go out of my way to find this.

Only real advantage is this was cheaper than the imported beers in Grand Cayman. The local water there is not so great and perhaps that has an impact on this beer.

joedon, Mar 10, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +6.6%

The CANQuest (TM) lives! My uncle came by with a few boxes for me and my first reaction was incredulousness since I was only expecting a couple of boxes. I opened one to discover this gem along with a Cigar City BC bottled beer to keep it company! It came with a handwritten note from GallowsThief explaining that he had recently been traveling in the Caribbean and thought of me and my madness. Wow! It is moments like this that reaffirm my devotion to CANs.

It was a pretty innocuous looking red, white and blue CAN without much to impart other than: "Brewed and packaged to the highest international standards by the Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd."; "The Premium Beer of the Cayman Islands".

The Crack & Glug resulted in better than a finger of fizzy bone-white head that looked like meringue atop the beer until it slowly fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a slightly metallic tang along with a cereal quality. This site has it listed as a "Euro Pale Lager", but it smelled like an AAL to me. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was initially slightly metallic, but I also got a standard lager sweetness, so I may have been mistaken about the presence of adjuncts. Finish was semi-dry and refreshing, which would be a definite plus in the Caymans. It is a pretty standard lager, in keeping with the low-key style. Decent, but not worth seeking out.

Keep 'em coming!

woodychandler, Jul 25, 2011
2.88/5  rDev +5.9%

"Our islands, our beer."

Basically, it is your only real choice if you want to spend under $5 for a pint.

Overall, the beer is quite drinkable and can be compared to the mass-produced American beers e.g. Bud Light or even some of the cheaper Mexican beers. A twist of lime goes a long way. The water in the Caymans is less than potable, which is why the beer may seem to have a slight metallic after taste. Nevertheless, drink with a Roti or a Goat's Leg and it will be all good.

Norfawkers, Jun 05, 2009
Caybrew from Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.