Caybrew - Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.

CaybrewCaybrew

poor

Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Cayman Islands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2007)

phideltashaggy, May 22, 2012

Kyrojack, Apr 24, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -44.9%

buzzed, Feb 04, 2013
1.9/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I met this gentleman during a week long excursion to the Cayman Islands. Not the life of the party like Guinness Export was.

Appearance: Yellow! Clear!

Smell: Can beer smell yellow?

Taste: It tastes like beer. With a slight plastic and fish note.

Mouthfeel: Thin with sharp carbonation.

Drinkability: Beyond the taste, nothing to stop you from pounding ten of these. The heat helps.

SassyBootblack, Jun 23, 2010

doremite, Jul 13, 2013

mobrockman, May 04, 2014

Had this on vacation and writing this from notes I scribbled on a napkin.

Green bottle but appears to be a clear yellow color--nothing remarkable.

Smelled slightly skunked, otherwise there wasn't much to this.

Tastes almost exactly like you'd expect a Budweiser to taste.

Light and boring mouthfeel. Not much going on.

I wouldn't try this again. In the hot summer sun it left me thirstier than I had been before I started on it.

Kooz, Oct 08, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -17.3%

I've had a couple (40-50) in the past couple days. Good for an Island style lager but definately not anything to call home about. They are one notch above BMC swill.

Yellow with white quick vanishing head, good carbonation. Had mine out of cans and bottles and the both taste the same. Has a strange modeling clay flavor similar to a Yuengling. Most people call it a malty flavor but being an avid hombrewer I have to disagree, malt does not taste like modeling clay, at least not any malt I have purchased and brewed with.

They equip it with that nasty skunk flavor which again everyone has been attributing to UV violation but I have to again disagree. I think it is coming from the hop species they are using. The Uropean lagers all seem to have it and it's nasty. Nobody who shoud be in bussiness would intentionally skunk there beer...I hope?!

streetcommander, Nov 05, 2011

TXhomebrewer, Feb 24, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Straw yellow, clear little head that vanishes rather quickly

Skunk

Skunky rather Hieniken like due to the green bottle.

Little to none

Overall I would only drink this on tap. You can definitely tell there is a difference between the bottle and tap. Green Bottles serve there purpose but not in this beer it is better out of a keg and I would assume a can as well to keep light from skunking the beer. Not that skunking is a bad thing its just not my thing.

jeremy2027, Jul 19, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured a light golden color with a small amount of white fluffy head.

The smell was mostly of corn, grains, and yeast.

This beer tasted mostly of the above, corn, grains, and yest.

Light-bodied crisp feel, a bit watery with high carbonation.

This was an average drinker, although not very tasty, it was basically a cheaper tasting Heineken but more expensive. Not a bad idea to give it a try if you're in the Caymans but it's not something I would seek out.

BeerCon5, Aug 07, 2008

jerefreakinmiah, Dec 19, 2013

BSuter, Apr 24, 2014

Jim_DemonDeacon, Mar 10, 2012

Sludgeman, Mar 01, 2013

ummswimmin, Aug 13, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a Sierra Nevada tulip glass.

A: A light goldish yellow with a large white fluffy head. No glass lacing.

S: Grainy, malty, very macro-ish. Not a lot going on here.

T: Grainy, grassy, malty, with the tiniest bit of hops. Flavor is very macro lager-ish with some bitter and metallic flavors towards the finish. Not a very good beer, no body to it.

M: Light. That's it.

D: Not very good when even compared to other island macro style lagers.

Overall this is not worth drinking really. Do your homework if you visit GC and go find some Guinness Export, that beer kicks ass. Heck, even the beer I had last year in the Bahamas (Kalik and Kalik Gold) were better than these.

Kadonny, Feb 04, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -5.1%

I've been craving some light bodied lagers lately, preferably not a BMC, and a buddy of mine just got back from the Caymen Islands and brought back some caybrew.

Poured into a Pint Glass.

Appearance-Straw yellow. American Adjunct looking. Very watery appearance. 2 Finger head thats gone in a blink. No lacing.

Smell-Grain, sour bread.

Taste-Grainy, Sweet malts, very lightly hopped

Mouthfeel-Pretty Crisp. Nicely carbonated.

Overall-Just another light bodied Lager, you know what your getting.

SWMeyer4141, Jul 27, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -3.3%

a: This was a clear, very pale golden color. It was served to me with a small, wispy head.

s: Not a lot going on, but nothing off either. Lightly sweet grains and little else.

t: Sweet breadiness and maybe some corn syrup. Not overly sweet, basically just bland. Relatively clean overall though.

m: Fizzy and wet.

o: Bland and refreshing. Pales in comparison to the Kubuli we had last year in Dominica

DIM, Jun 09, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

11.157 (?) oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. 5% ABV, Best by end (BBE): Jun/10 on neck.

Thanks to my friend Jason for bringing two bottles of this to share from his Honeymoon!

A - Pours crystal clear allowing all the carbonation bubbles to be visible. A big white head pops up with some loud effervescence only to drop to a thin layer quickly. No lace.

S - It's got the classic Euro Lager skunkiness to it. In the background are pale and pilsner smelling malts wrapped in a dry straw and husky nose. Crisp and clean with a low sweetness.

T - Pale malts with lots of dry straw and an off-putting huskiness. The typical skunkiness is there giving the finish a slightly unpleasant taste. Low lingering sweetness.

M - Slick on the tongue with a thin body and flavor. Moderately carbonated and crisp to the finish.

D - I can see it washing down well on a warm island but here, it's mediocre at best. Just another Euro lager that's a fair session beer. I can't say I'd be opposed to pounding a bunch of these under the sun though.

BeerFMAndy, Feb 04, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

I was on Grand Cayman as part of a cruise and spent the day at a beach front bar on the famous 7 mile beach. I was more than excited to try the local brew, as I am everywhere I go. I ordered a Caybrew draft, which when poured into a plastic cup (less than ideal I know) looked very light and resembled many of keg beer that I drank in college. The smell and taste was also very reminiscent of a cheap domestic keg beer. I wouldn't have been surprised if the bartender had told me that they hooked up the wrong keg and I had received a draft of Busch or Natural light. I was fairly disappointed and spent the rest of the day drinking Red Stripes. I would only recommend this beer just to say that you have tasted it.

stinoski, Feb 17, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

I was on cruise and traveled through the Cayman Islands. I tried this beer over lunch both on tap and in the bottle. It was what I would expect from a pale lager from an island countries.

L - It poured very light and had the typical head of many american pilsners.

S - It smelled like corn and grains noticeable in many beers of the same quality.

T - The beers taste was bland with no distinct flavor. The draft version had a very bitter aftertaste similar to a beer from a keg of busch light.

F - Although the taste wasn't that great It was light and refreshing for the warm tropical climate.

D - Drinkable for the hot weather. Goes down easy due to the light and carbonation.

Worthy of drinking in the Caymans but not one to seek out.

spycow, Jan 11, 2009

catfan2000, May 30, 2013

FFATS, Apr 16, 2014

sgregory, Sep 02, 2013
Caybrew from Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.