Caybrew - Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.

CaybrewCaybrew

poor

Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd. visit their website
Cayman Islands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-05-2007

2.83/5  rDev +3.7%

"Our islands, our beer."

Basically, it is your only real choice if you want to spend under $5 for a pint.

Overall, the beer is quite drinkable and can be compared to the mass-produced American beers e.g. Bud Light or even some of the cheaper Mexican beers. A twist of lime goes a long way. The water in the Caymans is less than potable, which is why the beer may seem to have a slight metallic after taste. Nevertheless, drink with a Roti or a Goat's Leg and it will be all good.

For what this is, and toward whom it's targeted, this ain't bad. The fellow across the street knows I'm "into beer" and brought me a can of this back from a trip to the island. It poured up a straw yellow colour, just as I suspected. Smelled a little biscuity and kinda reminded me of MGD. Tasted that way, too. In the heat on the island, I can totally see pounding these ice cold. Buying this on a routine trip to the beer store? Definitely not. Oh well. Glad I got to taste something out of the ordinary.

2.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Drank this one on a sunny beach in March on Grand Cayman. My review is almost certainly biased by the beautiful environs.

A-Yellow gold, fizzy, thin white head. About as expected for the style.

S-A little yeasty sourness is about it.

T-Not bad, again considering the style. A bit of yeast, a touch of malt, a memory of a hop.

M-Crisp, refreshing, unmemorable.

D-One to say I tried it, then back to margaritas and off to the package store across the street to get some Guinness Foreign Export Stout.

HV

2.96/5  rDev +8.4%

A pretty looking beer but has very little else going for it.
Reminded my of a English export lager but without much bitterness. Taste is American macro.

Nice bright color and a thin head. Smells a bit grassy with some sour noes. Flavor not impressive. A bit watery on the tongue.
Quite drinkable for a hot climate but I wouldn't go out of my way to find this.

Only real advantage is this was cheaper than the imported beers in Grand Cayman. The local water there is not so great and perhaps that has an impact on this beer.

3.3/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a bottle into a clear plastic beach cup. Pours deep straw/light golden in color with a thin and airy head. Retention and lacing are typically light for the style.

Offers a clean lager nose with some yeast, a touch of hops and a small amount of corn mixed in with other grains. Not skunky at all and the corn isn't a deterrent given the ratio.

Taste is slightly sweet but pleasant and easy. Any sweetness present is light in viscosity yielding a smooth feel and a light creamy texture on the finish. Offers good drinkability and is pretty well balanced. More of a less robust and improved Pacifico than a Heineken I would say. Moderate in body, drinks like a Euro/American combination lager; Euro in the hops department and with a light corn adjunct.

2.63/5  rDev -3.7%

I was on cruise and traveled through the Cayman Islands. I tried this beer over lunch both on tap and in the bottle. It was what I would expect from a pale lager from an island countries.

L - It poured very light and had the typical head of many american pilsners.

S - It smelled like corn and grains noticeable in many beers of the same quality.

T - The beers taste was bland with no distinct flavor. The draft version had a very bitter aftertaste similar to a beer from a keg of busch light.

F - Although the taste wasn't that great It was light and refreshing for the warm tropical climate.

D - Drinkable for the hot weather. Goes down easy due to the light and carbonation.

Worthy of drinking in the Caymans but not one to seek out.

2.33/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured a light golden color with a small amount of white fluffy head.

The smell was mostly of corn, grains, and yeast.

This beer tasted mostly of the above, corn, grains, and yest.

Light-bodied crisp feel, a bit watery with high carbonation.

This was an average drinker, although not very tasty, it was basically a cheaper tasting Heineken but more expensive. Not a bad idea to give it a try if you're in the Caymans but it's not something I would seek out.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

I was on Grand Cayman as part of a cruise and spent the day at a beach front bar on the famous 7 mile beach. I was more than excited to try the local brew, as I am everywhere I go. I ordered a Caybrew draft, which when poured into a plastic cup (less than ideal I know) looked very light and resembled many of keg beer that I drank in college. The smell and taste was also very reminiscent of a cheap domestic keg beer. I wouldn't have been surprised if the bartender had told me that they hooked up the wrong keg and I had received a draft of Busch or Natural light. I was fairly disappointed and spent the rest of the day drinking Red Stripes. I would only recommend this beer just to say that you have tasted it.

Caybrew from Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.