Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Avg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 837 | Hads: 1,917

This porter was an amazing surprise. When I first noticed it in the store I saw that it was made with Coconut and was also a World Beer Cup Gold Award winner. This seemed completely counter intuitive to me since I am a cook and home brewer I am able to imagine tastes combinations before combining very accurately. This one was not connecting my head. Therefore I had to try it, regardless of the $10 for 4 cans price.

Now that I have tasted it, I would have paid $20! One of the best beers I have ever tasted and now, officially my absolute favorite porter.

The beer pours a wrongfully rich dark black that is impenetrable to a 100 watt light bulb. The head is incredibly thick, rich and long lived with a perfect tan coloring. The lacing is thick rick and slow to settle down the sides.

The nose is wonderful sweet malt, chocolate, nutmeg, roasted coconut, fresh cut grass and hints of the fragrant perfume orchid. It is a sweet floral nose with earthy undertones that is just fantastic.

The taste, the greatest surprise, is very much not overwhelmed by coconut. Even if you hate coconut, you will not hate this. There are notes of savory, sweet bitter and the subtle yet satisfying level of bitterness from the hops. The beer is perfectly balanced flavors that have a combination of bitter dark chocolate, some coffee, bread, heavy cream and rolls over the palate from savory sweet to bitter with almost no after taste. The mouthfeel is rich, creamy and super smooth.

I absolutely love this beer and it will become a staple for me. I rarely give 5 out of 5 for any beer. This is rare and wonderful treat. I just recommend letting it warm to about 54 degrees to get the complexity of the flavors. I took my from the fridge and let it set for about 20 minutes before pouring.

I didn’t go to Hawaii for the beer… but I will go back for the beer. Holy crap, did we discover one of the best beers ever made. We actually found it by accident. While on the island of Oahu, we stopped in for a drink at Yard House. I LOVE Yard House, as they have one of the most impressive beer selections of anywhere. Hundreds of beers on tap; not even kidding. One of the beers was the Coconut Porter from the Maui Brewing Company. We were in Hawaii, so why not try a beer from the island?

Now I don’t like coconut… but this beer might change my mind. The beer smells incredible, and tastes even better. Smelling this beer makes me want to take a bath in it. (Is that possible?) The beer is also quite smooth, with a bit of a kick toward the middle of the palate. Then you are hit with a smooth, somewhat sweet aftertaste that just sends you to the next sip.

Having left the island, we figured we could order this back home in the Hoosier state. Wrong… only on the FAR west coast and on the island. The beer is also only served in a can (1000 bottles and a can on the wall?) They have a good reason for only serving in a can, so I won’t hold it against them. It tastes just fine out of the can and just as good on tap. (We ended up going back to Yard House three more times while we were on the island.)

The beer is just so well balanced. I think part of the reason I like it is because I can’t get it here at home. Sheryl actually took a trip to California last year and brought a few four packs home with her. She even grabbed a four pack of their IPA. I have not yet visited the island of Maui, but I can’t wait to go back to Hawaii, if nothing more than this beer. That, and to meet the man who goes by @Hawaii on Twitter! (He doesn’t drink beer, but he comes from the place that produces this sweet nectar of the gods.)

This beer is fantastic. Even if you don’t like porter, give it a chance. You won’t be sorry. And don’t let the coconut part throw you off. I despise coconut, and love this beer. Well done boys… bottoms up!

4.97/5  rDev +24.3%

Thanks a million to Weibull for this amazing porter!!!!

12oz can into a Pint Glass

A- Solid black with a thin 1 finger tan head that doesn't leave to much lacing.

S- Roasted sweet coffee with a nice hint of coffee and coconut.

T- Delicious roasted dark malts compliment a sweet coconut coffee flavor that makes this beer so amazing. This porter will forever be my favorite. There's no other one like it, so well blended and so flavorful. Get Some!

M- Medium to full body with a nice creamy fullness that also has some chalky characteristics but not bad. Moderate carbonation on the tongue and a slight bitter dry finish.

4.94/5  rDev +23.5%

Epic brew from Maui! Light nutty brown pour from 12oz. can. Nice two finger frothy head and a real coconut aroma. The coconut hits the nose immediately and is a proper introduction to what flavor was to come. Great coconut flavor, not overly sweet, and well balanced with a malty mocha notes. The creaminess of the beer is spectacular, it's richness in body is truely unique in my experience with porters. Grade A Maui, hopefully I won't have to drive 12 hours to get your next offering!

4.89/5  rDev +22.3%

The can design looks like one of those Starbucks coffee and cream drinks found in supermarkets. Short explanation of why cans are better than bottles, and lots of words and designs on the can. On to the beer:

Some ruby brown hues can be spotted at the bottom of my glass. The beer is opaque in color with a short-lived rocky head before it settles into a one centimeter creamy head. Wow, what a wonderful smell! Fresh coconut and semi-sweet baking choclate tease the nose, molasses creeps out too. Exceptional! Exceptional! One of the best smells I've run across in a beer.

My mouth waters as I anticipate the flavor in my mouth. Yummy yum yum! The flavors are great...semi-sweet chocoalte and molasses are the mainstays, with the coconut flavor close behind. The coconut gains its dominance towards the end of each drink. Has an Alomnd Joy finish to it.

...like hot chicks on the beach, CoCoNut PorTeR (eah! that hurt my eyes!) is mysterious, deceptive, and could never have too many.

Long overdue update on 4/12/11: CoCoNut Porter has become one of my favorites. It also makes a great desert beer.

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

WOW! Poured a very dark brown, with a slight amount of tan foam. The smell of sweet coconut and chocolate fill the nose with a pleasant sweet aroma of the tropic's. The taste was the same as the aroma, except the taste of coconut was number one, the semi sweet chocolate was number two, with a slight hint of the roasted malts being number three. I just loved this porter. This will go as one of my favorites and will buy six packs upon six packs next time I visit Maui, next year for sure. Aloha and Mahalo to Maui Brewing Company!

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

I can get this now that they started distributing it to Southern California. It is about the 4th can of it that I have had and I love this stuff.

It pours a nice very dark brown color with a nice size light brown head that was about 1/2 and inch thick.

The smell is awesome. Smells of hints of coconut, bitter chocolat, and expresso beans.

Taste is exactly as it smells with all the roasted flavours and a good malt base. I wish it had a little more coconut flavour since that was what i was expacting and hoping for because the coconut is very hidden in the background.

Mouthfeel is good and of any other porter but i wish it had a creamier mouthfeel because with the coconut it feels appropriate.

A very good beer none the less and i will drink many more of thease but I just wish it had a little more coconut character (creamyness and flavour) which is why im experementing with homebrew...

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

special thanks to JoshuaGarrett4 for the cali delivery.

A - its pretty beautiful, nice dark color, thick head that might be a little much, but a beautiful lace that lingers for a good while.

S - really great and interesting as well, has coconut and chocolate notes. really nice.

T - really impressive complex tastes, chocolate notes linger long after, coconut on the initial taste was great.

M - little lacking, but everything else makes up for it.

O - pretty solid, would love to find some more of this sometime.

4.74/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really liked this beer. One of few I have to completely disagree with the ratings. Maybe people are thrown off by the coconut, but it's a solid porter, with a smooth, full mouth feel, and a well balanced coconut flavor in the finish.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pint Glass: Dark brown, 1 finger foam.

S: Cocoa, coconut, roasted malt & a bit of coffee.

T: Bitter chocolate coffee. Liquid almond joy aftertaste.

M: Sweet chocolate coffee notes, very smooth.

D: Have you ever tasted an Almond Joy? That's what this beer tastes like a liquid almond joy. I wish it was a bit stronger but otherwise it is quite delicious. Treat yourself to some! Drink up!

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

First tried this beer at Sone Brewery (Escondido, CA). I was a little skeptical when the CAN was brought to the table, but that feeling quickly disappeared when it was poured into a proper pint glass. Beer looked great with ample head. Loved this beer from the first sip - great coconut/vanilla aroma to accompany the balance of hops. Got better as it warmed (although I didn't give it much chance to do that!).

Encouraged a neighbor to try it a few nights ago, but he didn't care for it (he normally drinks "fizzy yellow beers," so no big surprise!).

This beer is a little pricey, if you can find it in the store (comes in 4-pack cans, ~$11).

If you like porters, I'm betting you'll like this one!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer has a great brown/black opaque porter color with a robust coffee colored head.
S: Great blend of rich dark malt and toasty rich chocolate aromas. there is also a fantastic aroma of toasted coconut.
T: The overarching flavor is a great roasted malt flavor with a subtle coconut finish. Great complexity of dark malt and rich flavors. The coconut is a great balanced flavor that really adds an interesting twist.
M/O: Great mouthfeel. This is a fantastic porter that adds a great coconut flavor. It's great because its a new twist on a classic beer I like.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What can I say, when I saw this at BevMo I bought four 4-packs, without even reading a review. I ended up buying two more 4-packs shortly thereafter. I wanted others to enjoy it, so I traded away about 2 full 4-packs, and pretty much drank the rest. The wife loves it and says I should always keep some in the fridge.

A: dark black, nice light tan head that quickly dissipates

S: Like a sweet porter. Nice caramel, malty sweet with a hint of the coconut.

T: The taste is amazing, it's sweet without overpowering, the coconut is there, but also not overpowering. Tastes MUCH better as it warms, and the flavors enhance substantially. DO NOT drink this straight out of your fridge!

M: It is pretty thick for a porter, almost bordering stoutiness. I like the mouthfeel quite a bit, very good for a canned beer.

D: This is going to be a pretty regular beer around my place. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it's worth keeping a few around to share with others, especially if they are not very beer savvy. It's a great way to start inexperienced drinkers on "dark" beer.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

I'm a bit biased when it comes to this beer, I was born and raised in Maui...moved well before I started drinking beer though.

So, found a can of this in the back of the "cellar" the other day, was canned over a year ago. Figured it was about time to drink it...have had it many times but usually on the fresh side.

Pours a deep dark brown, with a 2 finger tan head.
Aroma;incredibly roasty, coffee, milk chocolate.
Taste; matches the nose but the best way to describe it is toasty...could be the fact that the coconut is toasted. The only time I have really ever detected an actual note of coconut is when it's super fresh...it's been a while since I have had that happen.

Thought it was time to review this beer, as it is a personal fav of mine. I'm stoked that it held up as well as it did; it's an excellent beer and am also glad that it is becoming more and more available...was even available for a short time here in Paris!

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

a- insane mass of head, and an obsidion body beneath it! i like! left some lacing, and the head takes its time leaving.

S- COCONUT, a tad of roasted crystal malt, lots of sweet smells, such as plum, and a little fig.

T- A very thin body at first, then you are greeted with a subtle amount of coconut and a sweet, mellow finish. I like how easy this is to drink.

M- A little thin, but its exactly as advertised! I'm impressed with this beer.

D- at 10.99 a 4 pack its a little steep but beyond that, 5.7 abv i could drink this all day!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes taken during vacation in Oahu. The day after my plane touched down my 1st stop was at Tamura's in Kaimuki to buy this beer. To my surprise there was also a beer sale-$7.29 for a 4 pack. If I could have drank one in the store I would have. I was amped to try this beer.

Appearance-Medium-brown. Didn't pour went from can to mouth.

Smell-Coconut, sugar, chocolate (milk chocolate), light roastiness

Taste-Coconut and chocolate came through--thank goodness this beer was living up to the hype.

Mouthfeel-Medium mouthfeel, well carbonated.

Overall-This beer was my go to beer when in Hawaii. From haupia to shave ice to plate lunches I would try this beer with just about anything. A big Mahalo to the folks over at Maui Brewing. This is brewing done right.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to pretzelcity for the trade.

A - A deep tiger's eye pour with a sand head that disappears after a bit, some lacing.

S - Caramel, candy, maybe a little butterscotch (not in a bad way), and quite a bit of coconut.

T - Okay, I need to level with people now. Coconut is one of the most polarizing flavors that I've encountered amongst my friends and comrades. You either dig it or you don't. I happen to like it a lot, that's why I wanted to get the beer. Starting out, the coconut is not a huge flavor, but roastiness, coffee, and a hint of burnt sugar give way to the coconut quite a bit as it warms. It's really quite nice for someone who likes coconut. For a friend that does not, it might not be a pleasant experience. Some vanilla also comes through in the warming. Fantastic.

M - Quite creamy, I like that in a porter, or any beer for that matter. Coats the tongue just enough, pleasant aftertaste. Would go great with angel-food cake. A little bit of alcohol comes at the end when it warms.

D - This is definitely something I would have every day if forced to only drink one beer... in Hawai'i. But since that isn't the case, I will say that, while it isn't something that I would go absolutely bonkers for, it's certainly a beer with having once or twice at the end of a nice day.

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%

I find coconut flavor rather unpleasant, but this beer is wonderful. Pours a half finger of dark caramel head over a pitch black liquid. Fizzy soda pop kind of carbonation. Smells dry. Coffee and delectible coconut. Vanilla. Alcohol is mild and comes across as a bit of spice zing. Perhaps some oily.

Tastes rich caramel. Mounds candy bar without the sticky sweet granulated sugar. Nice and refined richness. Chococlate and dark toffee with just a subtle hint of coconut. Coffee in a rich dark lingering flavor. Coconut carries a berry ester and milky wonderful. Perfect use of coconut in a fantastic sweet dark beer. Touch of nut. Light body which tends to stick, but dry carbonation cleans it away without any hope.

Delicate, yet complex. Truly phenomenal. Add some caramelly oxidation from time in my cellar and this beer would be a masterpiece.

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

Finally reviewing this after having (too) many in Hawaii months ago, Nice black body with a fluffy, sand coloured head. Creamy, chocolate and light coconut scent. Sweet chocolate, coconut and a decent hoppy bitterness in the taste. Very smooth, creamy -almost oily- mouthfeel. Great, rich and tasty beer. Well worth seeking out. My can says 6.0%, not 5.7%.

4.66/5  rDev +16.5%

This is something that I've been wanting to get around to for quite some time. A porter with a twist of coconut which makes it sound delicious. First reviewed on December 25. 2011.

Poured a 12 oz can, no label present, into a JFF is my BFF pint glass.

A: Canned carbonation is always something that blew my mind, it poured 3 fingered being nice and tan. The head goes down slowly and beautifully. This porter is completely black and it even fills its corners with blackness. Carries a nice slow lacing.

S: A nice chocolate and coffee with wood (might be a slight alcohol though) comes through. Definitely not weak, but damn it smells nice.

T: A chocolate presence definitely comes throughout. The woodlike presence comes out smoky toasty. I feel like if they say this a coconut taste then the taste is the body of the coconut roasted adding a smokiness to this beer. The obvious coffee also comes through.
Tasting this again on August 12, 2013 the promised coconut body appears all the way through when it is cold, but as it warms it only shows at the very end of its taste (Will not change original score because of this, but it adds if anything).

M: This comes amazingly creamy with an almost full body and the carbonation comes through moderately. This creaminess comes through as it was a Milk Stout and damn that's from a porter.

O: This definitely feels like a porter and damn does it taste great. On the can its advertised that this won Gold in 2006 as a Herb and Spice Beer and I could see how it did this. I admit I truly can't taste the coconut, but damn does this beer taste great. I am such a sucker for porters and this is obviously another one that I have fallen in love with.

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

One of the best beers out of a can thus far...in fact most of the dark beers I've had out of the can have been amazing. Appears almost pitch black when held toward the light the body has dark brown edges, light tan head foms thick and dwindles quickly...even speckled lacing lines the sides of my pint. Aroma has dark chocolate, creamy tones it a hint of toasted coconut even a touch of kona coffee. Flavor is roasty with fresh coffee, dark chocolate, and toasted coconut very interesting flavorful dark beer probably the best I've had in or out of a can. Awesome porter, really nice blend of flavors colliding, mouthfeel is creamy but ballsy with a good bit of acidity going on with mild natural carbonation. Medium to fuller bodied porter wih coffee grounds lying on the palate. Drinkability overall is joyous when of the hyped beers out there that really really lives up to it. Awesome original take on a classic style this one is just a great base porter that the toasted coconut works well with the whole picture.

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer was a very pleasant surprise.

Appearance: It pours an almost pitch black color with a beautiful caramel colored head, Left a nice lacing on the side of the glass as well as a 1/2" or so of head that stuck around for long time.

Smell: Classic porter notes; malt, caramel, coffee, vanilla, and then towards the end of the you get a nice bit of roasted coconut, a smell that seems to enhance the malty deliciousness that is present in this beer

Taste: Honestly I was quite taken back the taste, as a stand alone porter, this would be a good beer, but the smokey and sweet flavor the the roasted coconut brings out an amazing complexity of malt, hops, and of course the coconut.

Mouthfeel: only place this beer lacks, the flavor and look would make you think the mouthfeel was heavy, creamy, and typical of a porter. It is not, it is a bit thin, but not enough so that you lose anything from the overall experience.

Overall: This beer, is really a nice surprise. The mixture of the hops, and malt meld very very well with the flavors of the roasted coconut. I expected a mediocre beer with this one, but was very surprised to taste something quite impressive and familiar with just little bit of a twist that coconut adds.

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

A - dark brown - almost black, with 2.5 finger tan head that recedes medium-slowly, looks very inviting, can't wait to indulge

S - chocolate, caramely, nutty, smokey

T - nutty, toffee, chocolate, coffee, coconut

M - medium bodied - decent carbonation, feels smooth, is there alcohol in this? no bite/burn

D - amazing drinkability - have lived in maui for a few years before coming back to NY and I can tell you I cannot get enough, especially at the brewpub. This is a solid beer I can drink gallons upon gallons of!

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Can from a trade, but im not sure from who, cause my girlfriend opened all my boxes and didn't remember.

Poured from a can into my pint glass, poured black with a dark brown head that quickly fades away.
Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate , some coconut and earthiness.
Flavor was very smooth, roasty , some chocolate and the smallest amount of coconut in the finish. A very smooth and drinkable beer, i wish it was sold around here, hopefully ill be able to get some more.

4.64/5  rDev +16%

I had this great porter at the Maui Brew Pub while visiting Maui. I really enjoyed the richness and flavor of the coconut. I liked so well I bought a six to bring home, but ended up drinking it on the beach with my son. Had to buy more to bring home! If you are in the islands find this porter!!

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.