CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

rAvg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 825 | Hads: 1,861
4.64/5  rDev +16%

12oz can poured into a pint glass courtesy of MASPuros.

A: Pours a dark cola with a tan head that fades to near nothing and leaves no real lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is excellent. Baker's chocolate, fudge, vanilla, and cocoa. It smells like fudge and had me very excited to take a sip.

T: Taste is chocolate/cocoa, sweet vanilla, and a roasted maltiness. Great stuff although I'm not picking up much coconut.

M: Mouthfeel is thin but this isn't exactly an Imperial Porter. It could be a bit creamier.

D: I would drink this all the time if I could buy it here.

Thanks for the can, Mike! (598 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%

Bought this from the brewery in Maui. Cool looking can. I drank alot from the cans over there, now I'm home and poured it into a pint glass.

Decent head, but it fades pretty quickly. I was expecting this because coconuts are so fatty, which would deter the foam. Actually I'm amazed it even has any foam. Otherwise, it's a pretty average looking porter.

Really chocolatey aroma, super rich and appealing. None of that east coast porter nose thing going on, and smells better than most Irish stouts. I smell toasted coconut, but I knew to look for it.

Really one of the best porters I've ever tasted. Big rich chocolate taste, like a melted Hershey bar. Lots of roasted, toasted notes. Very faintly hopped, with a gentle bitterness that's perfect for the beer.

The mouthfeel is the highlight with this one. Very silky and creamy. Light on the palate, allowing for big sessions. Perfect amount of carbonation, just enough to carry the maltiness and nothing more.

Great drinkability as well. Never too heavy. Wouldn't have guessed they could make a porter that's light enough for a hot day at the beach, yet full of rich flavor, but they came through in a big way. Highly recommended, especially for chocolate lovers, red wine buffs, and people who think dark beers suck.

Big time cheers! (1,303 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

C. Clear
H. Super Dark Red Almost Brown
N. Coffee Coconut and Slight Chocolate Hints

Ok, well we know I love beer from a can, as long as it is good beer from a can. This beer had a super light body that was smooth and pleasant to drink. The coconut really shines in this Porter. Its really amazing how the delicate flavors shine through but still dont over power the beer. The coconut plays well with the hints of dark chocolate and light coffee that is in this beer. THIS IS WORTH FINDING AND DRINKING ALL SUMMER IF POSSIBLE! Great Beer! (539 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce can purchased as part of a four pack at the BevMo in Redlands for nine dollars, drank two tonight while enjoying all my TV shows being back on, poured into my new Samuel Adams glass

A-Black with no light going through, small 1/2 creamy light tan head that settled after three or four minutes, some retention, also decent lacing

S-Coconut but not sweet at all and actually a little bit of burned scent, roasted malts, toast, a slight coffee aroma, some milk chocolate, and barley

T-Could taste toasted coconut at first, then some coffee and roasted barley in the middle, finish was slightly dry, as it warmed there was a little bit of tart and slight sweetness caused by the coconut but it still did not taste sweet like other coconut beverages I have had in the past, some chocolate came to the surface towards the end in the finish, not as dry as most porters, nicely balanced with the malted barley and coconut, the six different types of malt make this one unique and allow its complex flavor to shine, very enjoyable flavor

M-Roasty, calm, sweet, and dry mouthfeel, medium to full body, nice level of carbonation, taste lingered for a good amount of time, slight sensation on the tongue

D-Could have easily drank all four tonight, light on the stomach for a porter, low ABV, smooth as can be, alcohol is completely hidden

Thought I was going to have to wait until I went to Maui in August to try this one and was shocked to see it at my local spot, worth all the hype I have heard, pretty much what I was expecting, will be drinking this a lot more in the future, especially if it is readily available in my area, highly recommended (1,651 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%

A: Black. Very black, w/ a thin tan head that lasted for about 3 minutes.

S: Malts. Candy like aroma, and lots of malts. A hint of hops lingers in the aroma as well. Some chocolate, roasted nuts and bread round it out.

T: Very very tasty!!! Delicious. Lots of malty goodness. Man this is yummy.

M: This is the best thinnest beer I've had. Crisp and clean, great carbonation.

D: I wish I had a bushel of crabs and a case of this beer.

I need more! (451 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nice dark color out of the can and into the glass. There is a pleasantly large, slightly off white, foamy head, which lasts. The smell is a nice mixture of coffee, with slight hints of coconut. A very enjoyable taste, coffee, with a coconut finish. A very nice beer that I would certainly drink again and recommend. Enjoy! (330 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very gorgeous dark chocolate with almond lacing...

Smells of cacao beans...

Tastes like a Porter made for Summertime. A Porter like this could only come from Hawaii. Roasted coconut accents a traditional Porter malt base. Five different roasted malts were used, making a complex beer. Chocolate, caramel, peanuts, coffee, and dark fruits...

As mentioned above, this Porter was made for Summer!

Goes down way easy...easy to savor...easy to guzzle...It's up to you! (467 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +15%

Pours an espresso head atop a dark brown body, almost impenetrable. A decent amount of lacing down the side as the head dissipates.

Aromas include coffee, chocolate, coconut (duh!), some bananas, and perhaps even macadamia nuts. Smells yummy.

Flavors are delish, and reveal the roasty-ness of the malts combined with the right amount of coconut, cocoa, the aforementioned macadamia nuts, and a slight bitterness on the back end. This has all the qualities of a good roasty porter but with nom nom coconut added to the mix.

A pleasant, tingling mouthfeel, with a nice fullness upon swishing. Sticks to the gums quite well.

Overall, while at first this may seem like a novelty item (coconut? really?), this is delicious. It's well balanced and highly flavorful for a beer of only 5.7% ABV. In the words of alexd3891, this is dessert in a glass. Great job Maui Brewing Company.

(Since my initial review, this has become one of my top three favorite porters) (964 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Can courtesy of CrellMoset poured into a snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with only a hint of mahogany around the edges when held up to the light. The two-finger off-white head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves decent lacing.

S: Big sweet toasted coconut aroma with roasted coffee in the background. There is also a big sweet malt background.

T: Taste is huge on the toasted cocunuts - so sweet and so tasty. There is also a bit of coffee and dark chocolate on a sweet malt base.

M: Mouthfeel is silky smooth with strong carbonation that tickles the tongue.

D: This porter is absurdly drinkable. I wouldn't trust myself if I had a lot of this in the fridge. Sweet, but not overpoweringly so, this is a fantastic porter. (724 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +15%

A: Pours a dark black hue with an average head and no retention.

S: Not as bold as an aroma as I would wish for. There are hints of milk chocolate, caramel, and toasted coconut.

T: Ahh yes, that is what I am talking about. I really dig this beer. Tons of roasted coconut from start to finish. The coconut melds into wonderful milk chocolate with a touch of vanilla. Someone at the table described it as a mounds bar and I have to agree.

M: Medium in body, smooth, easy drinking.

D: Very enjoyable and damn drinkable. I really like this one. (544 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sweet find in the exhibitor's tent free beer fridge during Mondial de la Biere. I've been after trying this one for a long time!

Pours a very dark brown with a large tan head. Good retention and lace. Nice roast coffee aroma mixing with chocolate and sweet coconut delights the senses and smells awesome. The coconut is perfectly integrated into the flavour, lurking in the finish and providing a beautiful finish to a great beer. Its preceded by big chocolate notes, moderate coffee roast and caramel. This would have been a great porter even without the coconut, but its addition takes this beer to the next level. Medium body, with a silky smooth carbonation.

Well worth the wait. (685 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

Thanks again Santa (Deuane)
The can poured into my new Smuttynose snifter produced a good two fingers worth of tan thread that turned to a thin lace. The body was the typical black porter color.

Awesome aromas of chocolate and coconut it smells like a mounds candy bar, this is great stuff. The flavor is nice and balanced not too much bitterness from the roasted malts and not too much sweetness from the toasted coconut. The only thing I wish is that it was a little thicker in the mouthfeel department.

Another easy drinking Porter enjoyed every drop and was left wanting more. If I saw this in the store I would grad a 4 pack of this for sure (649 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

Man, really good porter! Let the can warm some out of the fridge then poured a giant, foamy, frothy, fluffy, sudsy tan head that quickly settled to some islands, a ring, and a little lace. Color is almost opaque black brown; in the narrowest part of the glass it was clear. Aroma is malt, roast, cocoa, coffee, and a bit of coconut. Flavor's much like nose with malt, roast, sweet, and carbonic tang on top, other stuff later. Body and carbonation are smack on. Finish is like flavor with certain flavor lasting longer than others, but in a satisfying way. I could have a few more of these. (590 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

Welcome to washington, Washington, Maui brewing. Good to see you again...
And I see you pour a lovely light black (oh, yes) with amber highlights, nice tan cushion atop the liquid, bubbling steadily away. It's good to see you outside of a can. How long has it been? 6, 7, 8 months? Never again shall I mistreat you.
You smell like you've been sunning yourself..is that cocoa butter? A hint of coconut oil? The roast of the sweet heat?
You taste like a stripper at the beginning of her shift, all lust and thrust, coconut and chocolate oil, you leave my mouth watering for more. Welcome home, baby. (597 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

Wife brought this back from Maui. Eventhough readily accessible here on the mainland, I like to think this one tastes better.

A- Initially black liquid with a nice contrasting off white head, kind of a vanilla color. Then once I hold it up to a light, the edges of the glass glow a dark garnet color.

S- A sweet coffee chocloctish aroma wafts around my nostrils. Some vanilla notes with toasted coconut in there. Definetly not overpowering coconut. The chocolate flavor smells like when you open a packet of hot chocolate. Is it the power of suggestion, or do I detect a hint of metallic?

T- The coffee is still there, but much more subdued than the nose. The chocolate is there, more of a milk chocolate, that briefly gives you some bitterness, that then fades into a tanginess (a good one) that develops into the toasted nutty coconut flavor. This is a nice flavor to have lingering on your palate.

M- This is not a heavy beer at all. Despite its color it is actually light and refreshing. With that being said, there does seem to be a creaminess to it that I assume is the flavor tricking my tongue. Whatever it is, I like it.

D- Once again, despite being a porter, this would be a very sessionable beer for me. The flavors work well together, and don't over power. This is a unique beer that could have easily been a mess. I don't even like coconut that much, but I like this beer very much. I am glad I don't have to wait for our next trip to Hawaii to get it again. (1,477 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

This has been a long time want. Acquired this from G311 via Nobody Wants to See a Beer Geek naked 3! so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured in to my Sly Fox tumbler

A: This beer pours a nice, deep, dark chocolate brown that borders on black. A two finger of creamy brown head sits on top. Head recedes relatively quickly leaving spots of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is a fantastic mixture of roasted malts, fresh ground coffee bean, chocolate, coconut and a touch of nuttiness.

T: WOW! Yum! Taste starts off with a burst of light coconut that quickly turns in to a nutty, somewhat hazelnut flavoring. Espresso flavoring comes in to give a bite before a milk chocolate comes in with a healthy does of coconut. It's in the latter portion of this beer that the coconut really comes through. Nicely blended with chocolate notes. Yuuum! Ooo - finish has a bit of coffee and citrus bite that hits the very back of your tongue in the aftertaste.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, crisp at first, somewhat prickly on the tongue, with a sticky finish.

D: Goes down very easy, extremely tasty, not too filling, mild kick, very nice representation of style. This would hands down be my new go to beer if it were more readily available. If only I had more of it!!! (1,268 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

Let me start out by saying that this beer is fantastic!
Although it is in a can, the design on the can it pleasing, but it does not benefit the taste of the beer at all, but we all knew that already.

Head - Medium w/ light brown shading
Carbonation - Medium
Color - Dark brown, giving it a thick quality
Aroma - CHOCOLATE, not hoppy, but definite malty sweetness.
Body/Mouthfeel - Just like liquid chocolate with hints of coconut, making it smooth and creamy and very sweet. Finishes with a bitter taste making it slightly heavy and taste a couple swallows to cleanse my mouth of the flavor.
Flavor - Chocolate covered coconut pieces (634 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

12oz. can into shaker pint on 2/3/09. Thanks to d0ggnate for including this as an extra in the current GATM BIF.

A - Poured a deep, dark brown-colored body with burgundy highlights around the edges and almost two fingers of rich tan foam that settled into a quarter inch of retention and left behind some sticky lacing.

S - Initial aroma is surprisingly chock-full of fudgy, milk chocolaty goodness, while the toasted coconut character resides in the background. Some roasted malt is also present, but this is all about the chocolate.

T - Much like the aroma, the flavor opens with smooth, rich milk chocolate and just a hint of toasted coconut meat. Some dark roasted malt makes an appearance, but the malt consists of primarily sweet caramel and chocolate notes.

M - Thick and robust body with a touch of carbonation and an overall slick, oily mouthfeel. Finishes with just a hint of earthy bitterness on the palate.

D - This one exceeded my expectations. I was expecting more coconut, but instead I was treated to a robust porter with plenty of chocolate sweetness and lots of body. The drinkability is simply fantastic with this one, perhaps the easiest drinking porter I've ever had. (1,196 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +14%

Excited to finally try this. Pint glass pour and a motor oil black ale is produced with a beige small head. Aroma is amazing. Coconut is definitely the big whiff but also dark chocolate, espresso and roasted malts are in there. Wow. The entire taste hits you well after the swallow. Creamy, chocolate, coconut goodness is created. Not an overwhelming coconut taste so fear not all coconut haters. Creamy smooth mouthfeel and the lower ABV invites multiples. I will definitely be going back to this beer in the near future.

Overall I had high hopes for this brew and I was not disappointed. This is without a doubt an amazing beer (in a can no less) that needs to be enjoyed. I am not a huge fan of coconut but this beer had just enough to change the complexity and bring something new to the beer world. Excellent work MB. (823 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

So far I am very impressed by everything from Maui Brewing Co. Ingredients are top-notch -- great unique flavors you won't find anywhere else -- and they put a lot of care into brewing. I wish I could get anything from Maui Brewing Co in Missouri.

A: Very dark (almost black) with a frothy tan head.

S: Strong tones of toasted coconut, dark chocolate, and coffee.

T: Complex and well-balanced -- tastes like it smells. Coconut is much lighter on the palette than you expect from the aroma. Mildly sweet from the toasted coconut -- a nice surprise for a porter.

M: Exceptionally smooth finish, plenty of carbonation.

D: You can easily drink several of these in one sitting -- the smoothness really helps. (709 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into my Darkness snifter from a can.
A nice extra from my buddy Afksports. Thank you sir.

Pours a nice velvety black with a tan hue around the top. About a half inch of head. No lacing is present.

Chocolate and malt are spewing from my glass to my nose. I pick up the smell of nut too. It's delightful.

Taste is exactly the same as the smell. Chocolate is the very first thing on my palate. The malt is there but not overpowering by any means. A nice compliment. The coconut is in the back end of the sip and lingers on into the aftertaste.

Perfectly carbonated. Feels particularly light in the mouth. Goes down easy.

Overall this is a tasty beverage. In fact I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I would definitely like to have a few more of these. A six pack in a night would be no problem. (796 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz can.

A - Pours a thick dark black with a huge brown head that quickly recedes to a few bubbles around the rim. No Lacing.

S - Emmm. Chocolate and toffee dominate. Small hints of coffee and coconut, but this is one of the richest smelling porters I've smelled.

T - Delicious coffee and coconut flavor, with some chocolate and toffee involved. Almost exactly what I caught in the nose. Nice a sweet in the front with a good bitter hoppy finish. This is a complex beer and very very good.

M - This has a heavy body with high carbonation. Not overly cloying with the coconut and has good drying on the finish.

D - Comes in a 6pack of cans and is delicious and fairly inexpensive. I'd say very drinkable. (746 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

a very brown/black pour with 2 fingers of frothy tan head which quickly dissipated. sudden nutty smells once i popped the can open.. smell of roasted coffee, roasted grains, and overall smokyness followed. a toasty, yet sweet overall taste. the coconut seems to act like lactose in sweet stouts, but does have that coconut taste as well which makes this beer fantastic. usual suspects are there too (roasted grains, tobacco flavor, coffee beans). its' medium body does not take away from the silky smoothness one bit.. it's slightly creamy yet balanced perfectly with the amount of carbonation that it just goes down extremely smooth.

overall, this has got to be one of the best porters/dark beers in general i've ever had. i tip my hat to the brewers at maui, this is a damn fine beer. (788 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Oregon Brewer's Festival in a mighty plastic mug.

appearance - dark with tan head, medium head, good retention

smell - coconut and roasty malt along with a bit of chocolate on the nose

taste - coconut, chocolate, roasted malt profile, big and flavorful, earthy

mouthfeel - medium body, not too light, just about right for a porter, exceptionally smooth

drinkability - smooth and rich, great for the style (409 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +13.5%

A: the appearance is black with a brown found in the edges when held up to the light. Little head retention which was disappointing.
S: The smell is really good on this beer. Huge in caramel and chocolate malts. Also the slight spicy smell in the background.
T: The taste is nice a full for a porter. Lots of strong malt characteristics with spices.
M: A little too carbonated for my taste but really has a smooth feel.
O: This is a very nice porter to kick back and enjoy. (474 characters)

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.