Join our email list →

CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

American Porter | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 862 | Hads: 2,059
3.66/5  rDev -8.3%

Enjoyed at an home tasting with fellow BAer proteus93, courtesy of Dan (who got it in a Secret Santa trade from that OTHER beer site, but that's ok). Poured into a tasting glass.

Appearance: Rocky tan head, average retention, deep black body that may perhaps be sportin' some carbonation, but who the heck knows?

Aroma: Insanely pungent, I could smell it from halfway across the room. Cocoa nibs and coconut esters (whoa!) mix with some higher molecular weight alcohols.

Taste: Coffee and bitter chocolate maltiness - highly roasted but not too much, though smoky in places. Definitely a porter here, though. Looks more extreme than it actually turns out to taste. There are some coconut esters here, but they're not as obvious as they are in the nose.

Mouthfeel: Thick, with medium carbonation. Pretty uneven, unfortunately.

Drinkability: Novelty of the coconut wears off pretty quickly. Fortunately, the backing porter is pretty solid, so it's still decent after that, though a little less interesting. Recommended.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Head: Has little to no head with no lace when drinking.

Color: Beer has a nice dark brown color.

Aroma: Has a strong nutty/chocolate scent.

Mouth-feel: Smooth & creamy…heavy feel but low carbonation feel compared to visible carbonation.

Taste: Has a balanced sweet & bitter flavor…a malty start and hoppy finish.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Pours the darkest of browns with a creamy light tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving a beautiful swirls on the surface and a thin ring. Spotty lacing.
S - Dark roasted malt, cocoa powder, and coffee. Smells great, very nice Porter aromas. However, where's the coconut? Perhaps I can detect a tiny bit, but there's not nearly as much as I'd hoped.
T - Again, very nice (but typical) flavors of dark malt, chocolate, and coffee, but I don't see where the coconut comes into play.
M - Creamy with a medium body and medium carbonation.
D - Had no problem with this one, but without the coconut it's just a regular porter, which I can get anywhere. Too bad, I've been excited about this one for a while.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Creamy black pour with mild 1 inch head that recedes within a few minutes, leaving a few specks of lacing.

S: Smells like Hawaiian Tropics sun sunscreen... like hot chicks on the beech (proof that I can read and regurgitate the slogan on the can). Also some tasty coffee, mocha, and hazelnut in there.

T: The chocolate and coconut are the main things here.

M: subtle booziness rounds off the sticky sweetness.

D: a tasty beer, I can feel the sugar rushing through my head tho... so I don't think I would drink too many of these... I might just be a bit hungover from Winterstorm at Stone last night???

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Thrown in as an extra by Kshock -- what a nice guy!

Appearance -- pours like dark maple syrup, nearly black in the glass, with a rush of tan head that quickly dissolves into the dirty halo.

Smell -- Roast malt, molasses, maple syrup, faint coconut. Overall, mildly sweet.

Taste -- Plenty of roast maltiness, dark roast coffee-like notes, mild molasses sweetness, and again, the faintest shadow of coconut.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to light in body with mild carbonation.

Drinkability -- This one didn't knock my socks off, and I couldn't taste much coconut. Beyond that, it's tasty and, while I was hoping for a fuller-bodied brew, the lighter mouthfeel made it especially easy-drinking.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Very dark brown almost black. Head is coffee with too much cream. Creamy head dwindles to a thin ring pretty quickly. Some lacing. Almost opaque, but clear around the edges.

Smell: Loads of chocolate. We're talking all chocolate malt aromas. Runs from milk to the faintest touch of bitter baker's chocolate. Coconut is prevalent and adds a silky smooth aroma to the chocolate backing. Sweet, definitely smells sweeter than expected. Some booze and roasted malts aplenty.

Taste: Toasted coconut and creamy chocolate. Nice compliment of roasted malts balances at a level just shy of burnt. Touch of smoke and an earthy/woody punch on the back. Nice amounts of flavor, but lacks some depth. Cocoa lingers on the back of the sip. Drops of vanilla amid the chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Starts creamy, but becomes a bit drier as it warms. Carbonation is on point for the style, but doesn't quite jive with the almost creamy mouthfeel. Almost drinks like a heavy lager.

Overall: Definitely good, and the use of coconut is perfect. I'm thinking this doesn't travel all that well as the flavors seem a little out of balance and breadth.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Not sure I've ever seen a beer with a body that looks this much like coca cola, aside from the two finger tan head that pops up and dies down soon after. Some lacing, but patchy.

S: Roasted coconut is, go figure, very prevalent. Along with that is nuts, toasted wheat, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Sweet toasted coconut is followed by a bitter roasted grain taste that dies off with a mixture of both. Definitely, unimistakably a coconut porter. I really love the taste of coconut in this but I'm not sure it has that much more going on, and the slightly bitter toasted grain touch at the end isn't too helpful to the enjoyment of this beer.

M: Mouthfeel is a little bit watery. I think given the coconut flavor, it could shoot for a creamier mouthfeel. Carbonation is prickly and soda-like, again, I think that probably works against the flavor profile more than it helps it.

O: This is undeniably a tasty, coconut porter. That being said, there's a reasonably long road to perfection for this. More complexity, work on the aftertaste, a creamier body, and I think you'd have an amazing coconut porter here. As it is though, while still preferable to the majority of porters I've tried and probably the best coconut taste of any year-round beer I've had, it's just a better-than-average porter with occassionally exceptional good flavor.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks again to Big Grocery for the can at Perennial!

A - Pours a dark brown color, tan head, thin collar, spotty lace.

S - Whole cream, light chocolate, light coconut, roasted malts. Not quite as much coconut as I was expecting, but still good.

T - Roasted dark chocolate, cream, coconut, malts, toasted bready notes. Very creamy and a good amount of chocolate and roast. Finish is dark chocolate and malts.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - A nice porter, but I was actually hoping for more. That said, I would drink this often if it was available in cans around my area. I love Porter's, and the coconuts are just about the perfect level (perhaps a tad more would be nice). Good stuff.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Deep dark brown with a medium tan head that has pretty good retention. Smell is lightly roasted and overall sweet. Chocolate, caramel, hint of coffee, toasted coconut, grassy hops. Taste is much of the same. Good sweet malts with light roast again. The hops provide a solid bitterness near the end. It's pretty nice aside from an overly sweet flavor that lingers in the finish. It's like a Werther's but more milky and creamy. If not for that, this would be the real deal. Pretty smooth and almost silky, just a little thin. Drinks pretty well also.

Thanks to jhenry04 for throwing this in as an extra in a recent trade.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Picked up a solo can of this brew at the Pike Place Whole Foods to consume in my room after I tired of wandering the streets samping Seattle's best on tap. One must know one's limits. Especially on a Wednesday night.

Pours black. Like One-Eye. Smells favorable with a chance of swishing malts, coconut. Lightly roasted, all of it.

Maui CoCoNut Porter takes a pretty standard style & perverts it ever-so-slightly. This is a nice beer, with a jumbalya of sweet malts, distant cashews, hard coconut, roast/coffee. There's a nice hop zing to the end to keep the whole thing on a tight-rope. It's appealing enough to keep my lips seeking out the weird little glass repeatedly, at frequent intervals, to keep the porter flowing into my gourd.

Good beer. I can certainly understand the appeal - a solid porter, with a neat little twist, packaged up nicely, from a place that doesn't send much to the mainland.

Maui brewing coconut

Served in pint glass
A: Dark body, head dissapears quickly
S: Not a whole lot besides roasted coffee and toast.
T: Definite coconut meat flavor along with nutella on toast, Sumatra coffee beans roasted with Cardamom Turk style.
M: Mouthfeeel a little fleeting on the finish. A little too light bodied I think for this style.
D: As far as can beers go, this is definitely a drinker.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can poured into a tulip. A dark brownish black with a finger of clingy, frothy light tan foam on top... Leaving a thick bar of lacing on the sides of the glass but otherwise breaks down rather quickly.

Aroma is that of malts rather than the signature ingredient ... Roasted coffee, lightly singed grains. There is a distinct candy bar note, burnt almond and sure, some coconut flakes. The taste is rather ashy up front but mellows out into cola and toasted nut territory along with some semi-sweet chocolate. Chocolate covered coffee beans and vanilla. Reminds one of a Malibu chocolate bar as the bitter receptors acclimatize. Some herbal/tannic hop notes emerge in the semi-dry nutty finish. Solidly medium body and carbonation.

Although not my favorite porter by any stretch, I think this deserves props for not being overbearing on the signature ingredient and still conveying some unique character.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from can to a pint glass. No date I could locate on the can to indicate packaging or freshness.

A - The beer pours a deep dark brown color. I'd call it black if not for the brown edges when held to the light. A nice 2 finger milk chocolate colored head with very good retention and lacing. The head slowly fades to a thick film that lasts throughout and leaves gobs of lacing.

S - A strong roasted malt presences: black patent roast, coffee, chocolate tones. The coconut isn't as dominant as expected and provides a nice compliment in toasty character to the roasted malts. Nice well-balanced nose.

T - Similar to the nose in that the first flavors are the roasted malts on the tongue. Immediately the roast is paired with a malty sweetness and a mild bitterness. The coffee and chocolate malt character develops in the middle. It's not until the back end that the coconut flavor develops. The beer finishes with a lingering roast flavor complimented with a light light coconut toast.

M - Medium carbonation and medium bodied.

O - A good offering from Maui Brewing. I think the flavors somewhat struggle within the beer to really blend to a cohesive flavor. It's good but could be great. I'd still happily put a few down there for something different than the usual Porter.

Review input from notes. Enjoyed 03/11/11

Black opaque body. Three and a half finger sandy white head. Retention is fair, fades back leaving a slim cap. Spotty lacing clings to the walls of the glass.

Fairly straight forward aroma. Sweet chocolate and lightly toasted caramel up front. Slight caramel flavor just behind.

Sweeter chocolate and caramel flavors upfront. Toasted coconut sits on the back of the palate. This porter leans a bit too far to the sweet side. More of a roasted characteristic would provide much more balance.

Medium bodied porter, moderate carbonation. The texture is smooth. Medium finish, the sweetness lingers a bit on the tongue.

Enjoyable beer for the most part. Very approachable and would work well as a dessert beer. The sweetness is just a bit much for me, one can would be enough and then it is time to move on.

3.64/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours black with a large, fading tan head.
Nose shows rich chocolate and roasted malt along with softer coffee. Some coconut is noticeable but its faint as you'd expect.
Flavours are a bit harsher, with more emphasis on on the roasty malt and less complexity. Some roasted coffee remains.
Could use a thicker mouthfeel.

3.64/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Maui Brewing 'CoCo Nut Porter' @ 6.0% , served from a couple of 355 ml can purchased for $3.20 each

A-pour is cola brown from the can to a dark brown in the glass with some ruby red peeking thru a small tan head leaving a minimal lace along the pint

S-hints of coconut

T-bad tasting porter , just not a fan of coconut , tad dry on the swallow

MF-pop like carbonation , feels full bodied

Ov-poor beer , bad porter , should be a one & done

prost LampertLand

3.63/5  rDev -9%

First off I am not a big fan of porter brews so my rating might be skewed a little bit, but I must say this porter has changed my mind about them. Also I am a bit of a snob when it comes to drinking my beers out of a can, but Maui Brewing has changed my mind about this too.

When I poured it out of a can and into my mug it was a deep brown color with a tan head.

I smelled an overwhelming scent of cofee with a hint of chocolate.

I my first sip I was hit with cofee and the next sip I was able to taste the coco and molasses.

Overall I liked this beer a lot and has changed my mind about porters. I will definitely recommend this to others. In the future I will try more porters thanks to Maui Brewing.

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark, opaque brown that is almost black. It has a huge, frothy, mocha colored head with good retention that eventually reduces to a thin film.

S: A big roasted malt presence and a huge earthy scent is the backbone for the aroma. There is also a nice touch of sweet coconut.

T: Once again, as in the aroma, there is the huge roasted malt presence. It has a unique soil-like earthy taste that is sort of overpowering. It leaves me wondering- what happened to the coconut?

M: It is medium bodied and very smooth. Nothing extraordinary here, pretty much a feel you'd expect from a porter.

O: After the great appearance and nice aroma, I was thinking I was really going to enjoy this beer. Unfortunately, for me, the taste fell short and was overpowered by the earthiness. There are many other porters out there that I would rather have than this one, especially at over $10 for a four pack.

3.63/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: black and opaque: barely any light gets through. Pours with almost an inch of light-colored foam that fades quickly.
Smell: Sweet, round, and lightly roasty. Hints of chocolate and vanilla. Not much coconut that I notice specifically, at least in the beginning, but maybe that's what is giving it the soft, round smell.... Now that I've let it warm up a bit, more of a nutty scent is emerging and the coconut is noticeable. I must have had it too cold initially.
Taste: Where's the coconut? This porter has a light sweetness, and I'm getting roasty malt with hints of chocolate and vanilla, but if I were drinking it blind, I would not guess that it's a coconut porter. I might have guessed it was a thin chocolate milk stout.
Mouthfeel: about average for a porter. Not a lot of carbonation.
Overall: I was hoping for a really intense, coconut-forward profile, but this one is more subtle. It's good, and unusually sessionable for a porter, but I would definitely want to bump up the intensity on the coconut.

12oz can (thanks Vitese) poured into a pint glass

A: Fairly standard pour leads to a 2-finger mocha brown head that billows out of the brim out the glass. Tight bubbles, frothy on top. Great retention, leaves a little lacing. Dark brown/almost black body, opaque of course.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, a little coffee, coconut, light molasses.

T: Moderate level of roasted malts (not weak, but not robust, medium roast level). A touch of sweetness in the middle that leaves a semi-dry finish. Hop presence is a little floral but not there too much and there's is very little bitterness (if any really). Coconut, chocolate, and coffee flavors play on an equal playing field.

M: Light body, moderate to slightly high carbonation, fairly smooth, a little creamy. Easy finish and drinkability. A little weak overall.

O: A light, clean (bitter-free) tasting porter with a rather light body that's highly drinkable. Nothing unpleasant about this, just not big or bold enough for my taste.

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%

On vacation in Hawaii I'm in need of beer! Everything on the shelf in the grocery store is distributed in Oregon so I went with the canned stuff I can take to the beach. Now back at the cottage kicking it with a can properly poured into a red wine glass, I can tap out a review while TulipSnifter watches Jersey Shore slack jawed. We've all got our guilty pleasures.

A: Tan head that's as thick as you want it to be depending on how hard you pour. Recedes to nothing more than a thinly wispy cap pretty quickly. The body itself is dark brown with light brown edges. Some spotty lacing is left. 3/5

S: Hard to smell the coconut behind heavy dose of baking cocoa up front. Smells like a decent American Porter here. 3.5/5

T: Chocolate, nutty, a little pruney, and a nice dose of ash and chalk. Again this is a solid American Porter. 3.5/5

M: Spritzy, scrubbing, and good with food. It knows its role and plays it well. 4/5

O: A good enjoyable porter that I won't quite put among the ranks of Edmund Fitzgerald or Black Butte, but it sure beats the hell out of Yuengling's version. 4/5

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours black with three fingers of tan head that recedes into a thin ring with a foamy ring with a little lacing.

S: Some roasted malts with lots of sweet chocolate aromas. There are some floral aromas in there as well. The sweet coconut is there, but subtle.

T: Again, roasted malts with some semi-sweet chocolate flavors. There are some smoke and char flavors as well. The coconut is almost unnoticeable and may just be my imagination. The finish is lightly bitter.

M: Medium-thick body with medium carbonation, the carbonation goes well with the char and smoke flavors, but keeps it from being creamy.

O: A pretty decent porter, but I really wish there was more of a coconut presence. Not a bad beer at all, though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz into snifter, thanks to Scalene for this brew via "Everything Local BIF"

A- Deep brown with medium dark head, not as dark as I expect a porter to be.
S- Very roasty, typical porter aroma.
T- Roasty, just a hint of sweetness, a little bitter at the end
M- Thin, but its a 6% porter so I guess that is to be expected
O- Glad I got to try this, probably wouldn't seek it out, but a nice beer, definitely the best (and only) canned porter I have had.

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a can into a brandy snifter glass. Ok head on first pour, however nice residual left behind once it settles. Smells strongly of milk and coconut up front with a slight hint roasted malts in the background. Taste upfront is analogous to the aroma; milk and coconut upfront, with the bitter roasted malt taste following soon after. Has a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, I really enjoy this beer. The coconut really tames the porter and blends nicely. I am curious to how this would taste on tap.

12oz Can poured into a Chalice

One of the first 4-packs off the truck at Argonaut, at $10 I'm looking for true greatness here, as we're nearing Oskar Blues territory.

L: Drip coffee black, and drip coffee thickness. 2 - 3 fingers of pillowy-foam head, with decent retention and lacing. As it opens up, things start to look a bit thin though.

S: Huge roasted malts up-front, with a touch of roasted coconut in the back. Smells a touch thin, but good.

T: Big malts up front with coconut rising into prominence in the middle. Maltiness trails off as the coconut rise through the finish. Good, very good.

F: A touch thin, particularly as it opens up, but good. Carbonation is above average.

D: A very well-considered and well executed little beer. For $10 a 4-pack, you'll find far better though ....

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.