CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Avg: 4
pDev: 17%
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 846 | Hads: 1,987
3.37/5  rDev -15.8%

Maui coconut porter 5 abv,

A: This beer has a low viscosity with small cola bubbles. There is a dr pepper color at the edges

S: It smells like a solid porter with the traditional chocolate and malt, however, this imparts strong smells like macaroons and caramel. It feels like a watery bakery, something like sugary sweetness whose succor has not been beat from the cane.

T: The taste is a light sweet roasted nut with mild coco malt. There is no middle, however, the one noteworthy taste is a praiseworthy coconut finish with fleeting dryness. Ultimately, it is disheartening to close the taste with a disappointing watery residual

M: Minimal coating is presented throughout with no exceptional stickiness. Not terribly filling and the transportation costs make this too expensive to be considered for a worthy session beer either.

D: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer, however, it’s greatest virtue serves as its greatest vice. It just isn’t interesting to mow through coconut after coconut. It’s like making out with an Almond Joy technician for an hour. The coconut is delicious but after a while you want to move on, you grow up, you stop eating Snoballs and you seek more from life.

Narrative: Day 157, the sand seems to have retreated to a more south eastern sedimentation, signaling the coming of the vernal equinox. I never thought that I would spend almost a half year on this god forsaken island but here I am, carving my exploits into another coconut tree using coconut shards to commemorate this day. Milk in milk out. It seems coconuts are the only vexing produce available and I long for variety. A crate washed up on shore and I prayed for provisions or a flare gun, lamentably, only a driftwood case of Coppertone presented itself. The smell was too much to bear. I fear that I am going mad sustaining only on a diet of coconuts. There is a pun available somewhere but my rancid coconut breath can hardly utter such trifles. I long to hold my beloved and drink a pina colada with her as soon as I escape; someday.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

A-dark brown, near black, with a nice tan head

S-creamy iced latte with just a hint of coconut. medium strength

T-comes in with a thick taste of ground coffee. it slowly transitions to a long lasting after-taste of ground coffee with a hint of chocolate coconut. very simple

M-thick, soft carbonation with a dry finish

O-definitely tasty but i don't find any uniqueness to it. i was hoping to find more coconut in this. this is just average.

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hmmm...interesting brew to say the least. This beer's motto should be: BE PATIENT...IT GET'S BETTER

Poured a black/dark brouwn in my pint glass...decent head initially, but fades quickly...very little lacing left behind.

Slight hint of coconut; not what I was expecting...mainly burnt,sweet malt...what the heck?

What the? First sip was like sucking on an aspirin...quite tinny. Luckily, the brew did get a bit better as it warmed. Coconut and a little sweet malt did come out a bit more...thank God. Still, the initial blast of tin may have soured this for me.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but this certainly did not come off as an excellent brew by any means. Thankfully it's one of those beers that gets better as it warms, so be patient. The scent and taste certainly did improve as it sat in my pint glass.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a Port Brewing pint glass. Really like the explanation of why the brewery uses cans over bottles. Hopefully we will see more craft in cans in the future...

A - Pours a deep brown with three finger frothy tan head on a fairly aggressive pour. In hindsight I probably should have poured a little more passive. Head retention is decent at best and there is a little slippery lacing to be had...

S - Dont pick up any coconut in the scent. Black patent, coffee, and lots of roast...

T - Starts with chocolate and a little vanilla. Toasted coconut comes through in the finish with lots of roast. I probably wouldn't even have detected the coconut if I hadn't brewed with it before. Very subdued...

M - On the thin side of being medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. A little light for the style...

O - Pretty run-of-the-mill Porter. Bumped up the overall score because I liked the can, but definitely not something that is going to be in my rotation...

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12oz can into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip. Big thanks to my buddy Chris for bringing this back from the Mountain Brewers Festival.

A: Pours a deep deep brown - almost black. Aggressive, center pour leads to a beautiful mocha 2 finger had that disappears relatively quickly leaving a thin ring along the top. Lacing is spotty and ind inconsistent. This is a beautiful looking beer.

S: Toasted malts and barley, chocolate and coffee are the highlights of this brew. I'll take the brewer's word for it that there is coconut in here cuz the other notes are just really in your face - in a good way.

T: Following the nose almost to the T - with the coffee and chocolate taking center stage with the toasted malts following closely behind. I was able to pick up faint coconut on the tongue which was welcome. Hops add to the bitterness of the brew towards the end of the swallow.

M: Thick and chewy, crisp and refreshing. Plenty of carbonation. Sticky coating leaves a wonderfully bitter aftertaste.

O: This is a really delicious beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it and I'll be looking for more of this as well as the Imperial. Both really wonderful brews.

4.01/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A- pours jet black with a puffy, two finger tan head. Head sticks around for awhile. Solid

S- roasted malts and hints of coconut. Aroma is a little weak

T- getting a lot of roast, and the finish is sweet coconut...the coconut isn't too sweet though. Nice flavor, not nearly as overwhelming as I thought it would be

M- the body on this one is good. Maybe a tad bit watery, but it's fine

O- not what I expected, but I'm pleasantly surprised. The fact that it's in a can gives it even more bonus points

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Special thanks to cullumbeer for bringing me one of these back from Hawaii.

I split a can with my wife.

A: Poured a dark, dark brown... about the color of a burnt sierra crayon, with a whopping 1-2 finger mocha head that retained itself throughout the session.

S: No coconut detected. Actually, I got more roasted malts than anything, with a tinge of dark chocolate.

T: Metallic.... I mean really. I could actually taste the can. It improved substantially as it warmed, but still, for a beer called "Coconut Porter," I didn't feel like it lived up to its title.

M: Moderately thick, with plenty of carbonation for the style and moderate lacing. Bitter finish.

O: I was a bit let down by this one considering the fact that I know people who swear by this brew. However, I'd love to try it on tap sometime.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Don't take my word on this as written in stone - my light bulb burned out just before popping this sucker. Appears to be very dark brown without any light penetration. Two finger tan head quickly dissolves into a half-finger and there it stays.

S: Nose is delicious, like sweet milk chocolate and toasted barley.

T: Very nice malt landscape with this one. If it wasn't called the CoCoNut Porter, I'd have never guessed there was coconut in it. This isn't a bad thing, and I won't dock points for it. It's got a bit of bitterness both derived from hop and some roasted grain. Chocolate flavors are the real showcase of this beer. Very tasty!

M: I'm not sure if it's from the coconut or not, but this has a fairly creamy body that's very evident right before the bitter finish sweeps it away.

O: If this were available in my state, I'd drink on it with decent regularity. Since it isn't, I look forward to my next opportunity to drink it again.

4.32/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a very dark brown....wouldn't call it black, and has reddish hues right around the edges. This has a mocha latte colored head that is rich and dense, a couple of fingers thick, and settles to a fine film over the brew. The lacing is modest at best, and it's hard to tell how carbonated the beer is, but I can see some small columns rising up.

S- I smell robust, toasted coffee beans and dark unsweetened baker's chocolate for the most part. There is a hint of sweetness that I don't smell in other porters....I'm guessing it's the coconut but I don't really smell the nut in particular. Mild bitterness on the finish, but mainly earthy dryness.

T- This is a very robust, very creamy porter, that's for sure. Again, dominant flavors of cocoa and some coffee bean, along with toasted malt, burnt brown sugar and some vanilla bean. The coconut flavor is slightly more noticeable but it is very modest, providing just a hint of milky lactose-like sweetness. The finish is a balancing act of bitter and dry....just enough to keep the glass close by for another drink soon after.

M- Super creamy, and such a well balanced flavor profile, this medium-full bodied porter is rich and exotic. Really gets me in the mood to lounge around and sip on this, while letting the afternoon sun pass me by.

O- A very well crafted brew overall! Slightly sweet, almost Guinness like, but more tropical. This is an excellent all weather dark beer, and would be great with a steak dinner or even as a desert brew. As it warms, the robustness gets even deeper and the buttery texture gets even smoother. When I go to Maui in a few months, this could very well be a go to brew for me!

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Big thanks to Matty D. Martin for the share. Out of a 4-pack, two seemed borderline infected, and two are pretty good. This review is for a good can. The brew pours a coffee-brown hue, visibly thinner, and is capped with a tan froth that recedes quickly. The nose offers some roastiness and some small coffee hints. I don't get coconut aromatically. The flavor actually reveals a bit coconut, just a hint. It is not very sweet, more of a straight-up porter, offering notes of roast, coffee grounds, and herbal hoppiness. As it airs out, the coconut is more pronounced. The feel is relatively thin. Overall, pretty nice, but not outstanding; I wish this beer was good as it theoretically sounds.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a deep cola color with a small light brown head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. Head fades too fast.

Smells is of some mocha like roasted malts.

Tastes of chocolaty malts rounded out by coconut. Roasted malts hit up front and give off some sweet chocolate along with mild coffee notes. Coconut makes an appearance on the end and adds depth to make this very tasty. A good combination of flavors that are not overdone.

Mouthfeel is medium, but carbonation is a little flat. I can get some creaminess, but I expect more.

Overall, I was fairly surprised by this given some of the other Maui brews and a large amount competition from other American porters.

3.68/5  rDev -8%

12oz can

Appears black, opaque, with a fluffy ilght brown head. Shortens quickly but leaves some lacing.

Some burnt smells, roasty malt, coffee, and extremely faint coconut.

Roast and burnt flavors up front, followed by bitter chocolate and earthy hops. Coconut on the back end with a lingering fresh sweetness.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, smooth and creamy, with a quick finish.

Well balanced, pretty good but not amazing.

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%

With thanks to Mr Kennedy for being the Maui to Oz beer-mule.

Dark chocolate colour, with a two-finger coffee-coloured head that's on the light and fluffy side. Vanishes over a few minutes to leave a ring at the interface.

Sweeter than it is roasty, with gobloads of milk chocolate, latte, strawberries and cream, muscovado sugar - and certainly coconut. The roasted malt character is seriously nutty and a little woody. Yum-o.

Taste marginally favours the roasty side, with iced coffee, wood, coconut, dark sugar and milk chocolate. Nicely developed flavours and very tasty.

Very kind in the mouth with great even-ness across the palate. Medium bodied, largely a product of quite lively carbonation.

Drinkability is excellent. The coconut is calibrated to perfection and does not obscure the base porter characteristics at all, which are anyway very solid. Really dig this.

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%

Got a can of this in a trade with BeerThursdays.
Quick note about this before I even get to the beer its self. For some reason when I tried to pour this slowly it clung to the can and got a bit messy. Probably user error, but I know i know how to pour a can of beer. My retardation can't be that severe can it?

This beer is quite a dark brown with a large off white head which quickly recedes to a thin foam on top. Not much lacing to speak of. The aroma is roasty with a touch of coconut and chocolate. Taste is similar, and is quite light with a bit of sweetness and a bit more coconut than the aroma. Very nice. Mouthfeel is smooth and nice, but is a bit short on carbonation. Overall this beer is nice and enjoyable.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A- Very dark mahogany, nearly black, with some ruby highlights peeking out. Pours with ~3 fingers of brown, effervescent head, which fades into a thin cap.

S- Nutty and roasty dark malts...coffee and coconut.

T- Roasty, burnt, chocolate and coffee, with the coconut tinge providing a nice smoothing of the flavors on the finish.

M- Moderate carbonation. A nice, smooth, almost creamy medium-full feel...

O- Good. Flavorful, easy drinking, and with a great feel...too bad I only have one....

Future outlook: Really exceeded expectations....too bad it was nabbed in California, and is not available here.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Picked up a can at Whole Foods , Austin.

Appearance is a dark brown color with a nice mocha head. Just as the name would lead you to believe, this one has a pleasant aroma. There is coconut, roasted malts, some coffee. Upon sipping this interesting beer, I taste some dark coffee, roasted malts and yes, some coconut, but nothing overpowering or too aggressive. MF leans towards full bodied, with a velvet texture. This one was fun to try, would be nice if some of this made it out closer to Connecticut.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Acquired via trade from turfy so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, a little coconut and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a rich black coffee flavor followed by background flavors of milk chocolate, vanilla and a touch of coconut. The malt character is hearty and the hops presence is mild but both are on-target for the style and provide a good balance. The coconut flavor is a bit more subdued than I had anticipated, but it’s a nice complementary flavor in the beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, decent kick, good variation of style, this is a good beer to drink for a long time if you’re looking for something a bit different within the style.

3.8/5  rDev -5%

A: comes out of the can a deliciously dark brown color with a massive 2+ finger head... some nice lacing left on the glass.

S: toasted coconut, chocolate, subtle roasted malt

T: very well balanced flavor, coconut is not overpowering and really brings the roasted flavors together nicely. a nice burst of chocolate at the end with a little more coconut shining through. delicious.

M: medium body with a nice amount of carbonation.

O: enjoyable porter that goes down easy. really makes me want to get back to the islands!

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%

12oz. can poured into a snifter.

A: Black, very dark. Finger and a half tan head. Dissipates pretty quickly. Hardly any lacing. Fairly carbonated.

S: Alcohol up front. Roasted coffee and chocolate in the background. Little toastiness. Maybe the slightest hint of coconut.

T: Roasted coffee. Nice toasted flavor. Slight chocolate hints. Again maybe getting a tad of coconut. No alcohol as in the smell.

M: Fairly thin for the style. Maybe a little to much carbonation.

O: A decent porter. Like the toasty flavor. Didn't get the coconut flavor I was hoping for. If there would have been a bigger coconut presence, and the smell was bette, this would've been an A beer.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

A- Pours a dark brown almost black. Reminds me of a watered down stout in color. Had a massive 2 1/2 finger thick khaki head that speaks to you if you put your ear to it. Dissolves very slowly leaving spotty lacing on the glass.

S- Upon first whiff I smelled, you guessed it...coconut. Then the malts and dark chocolate dance their way into your nostrils.

T- As I sip this brew, dark malts and chocolate lead the parade of flavors to your palate. As you swallow this masterpiece, what you thought was dark malts and chocolate morph into a coconut finish.

M- This is medium bodied and very smooth.

O- What we have here is the perfect dark beer for a hot day. The fact that it comes in cans makes it the perfect beer to bring anywhere. The ABV isn't that high so you can pound a few of these and still have a good time.

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%

A- Poured into an oversized DFH snifter... starts with a partially creamy, partially fizzy head that recedes quickly leaving little lacing. Beer is black in color with very little if any light coming through when held toward the light

S- Smells very chocolatey, VERY chocolatey at first wiff... after some swirls of the snifter a bit more of the burnt toasty notes come through

T- Very nice. Nicely balanced between chocolatey and toasty flavor... bit more chocolate at the start and a bit more burnt in the finish. Didn't really get much from the toasted coconut, but very enjoyeable all the same

M- Full body with light carbonation

O- This is gonna get a higher than average overall from me just because it seems its harder to find great flavorful stouts and porters like this one with a somewhat lower abv like this one ( My can says 5.7% despite the 6% listed on BA )

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. can dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very Cool graphics and coloring on the can.

Appearance - Poured a deep dark brown witha 2 finger tan brown head that slowley dissipated into a nice foam ring. Light lacing on the glass the whole way down.

Smell - A very slight hint of coconut but not as much as I expected. Smells of nice toasted chocolate and coffee.

Taste - Chocolaty and a major coffee influence. Toasted coconut on the back end. Not much coconut at first but the more this warmed up the more the coconut flavor came through.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel. A medium amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Highly drinkable because of the medium body and great flavor.

This beer was excellent. I recieved this beer in a trade with MrHirschybar and really wish I was able to get it in my area. Highly recommend!!!

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Dark brown to black with a monster explosive head that I could barely contain in a 16 oz glass, which dissipated after a bit leaving patchy lacing.

I smell typical porter smells, roasty and lightly burnt malts with little hops, although you might be able to perceive a touch of tropical island/coconuts if you use your imagination.

Taste is robustly malted, toasty with tinges of burnt malt, along with a tinge of coffee and sweet chocolate, and a mildly noticeable, but balanced amount of coconut.

I found the body to be medium with light, smooth carbonation, despite the initial explosion and monster head. Although there's some sweetness in the taste, the finish is dryer than expected.

Overall I believe this is my first sip of Maui brewery, and I do like it. This is a fine porter which certainly does make me want to try more selections from Maui brewing. The fact it's in cans is a plus, considering the number of miles this beer had to travel before I tasted it.

Purchased at Gabriel's superstore #60 in San Antonio, TX.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Masterpiece Porter right here.

Classic dark brown body. Very pleasant aroma. Lightly sweetened vanilla with rich roasted malt, fringes of chocolate/ coffee and coconut.

This is one of the most balanced Porters in existence. Unlike a lot of Porters, there isn't a huge roasted overwhelming presence. Instead CoCoNut Porter offers something special. Amazing refinement, great sessionability, and managed to turn a style from something usually aimed towards Winter, to something you can enjoy on the hottest day of Summer.

Upfront it brings a rich yet creamy refined malt backbone. A blend of dark chocolate with hints of roasted barley. Delicate touch of vanilla, and soft sweetness - and a very lovely toasted coconut note to round everything out. Finishes with some nice floral/citrus hops to blend with the toasted maltiness. Very nice.

This is one of those beers that can be enjoyed in so many ways. It's straight forward, yet flawless in it's execution. A great alternative to the heavily roasted dominated Porters. The best part about this beer is the versatility, you can pair it with tons of different foods. Sushi, Barbecue, Cheese, Chocolate, Fish, Sandwiches. I think that the balance really brings something that you can enjoy with just about anything. It would be great with a light to medium body cigar, or anything toasty or nutty.

Surely one of the finest things to come out of Hawaii.

3.88/5  rDev -3%

taster poured from a 12oz can @ Elegance. Thanks Carl!
reviewed from notes.

pours a warm, dark brown - i can feel the west maui sunset...
good head, slightly off-white. pretty big nose - the cocunut was there, but i picked up just as much toasted malt, definitely nutty, but coconut? i guess a bit...

pleasing palate. not striking in any sense, but a very nice representative of the porter style - nutty, a bit of chocolate, tons of malt, maybe a bit of hazelnut? if not for the smell, i'm not sure i'd pick up the coconut.

mouthfeel is pretty good, a bit less carbonation would bump it to a 4.5 from me.

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.