CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Avg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 846 | Hads: 1,981
3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Dark brown with a decent mocha head. Some light penetrates at the edges.

S: Nice roasted malt with a very satisfying sweetness that is likely from the coconut.

T: No coconut in the flavor really. It starts with a pretty good roast that fades in the midpalate to sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with a thinness towards the end of the palate.

D: Not a bad porter but I don't specifically get any coconut in the flavor.

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

All right... more canned goodness, this time from sunny Maui. I hope I get lai'ed.

It pours a porter black with a one finger tan head. Smells like chocolate, coffee and coconut. A lot of coconut actually... more than I thought even though the name of the beer is sort of a giveaway.

Along with the coconut, I get a lot of roasted malt and dark chocolate upon first sip. Pretty much stays true the entire glass. Minimal carbonation and a thin mouthfeel.

You know, this beer is what it is... a coconut inspired porter. No real surprises in store. It's extremely yummy but I don't know if it can shake being a novelty for me. Ah hell, it's good. This mainlander will order some more in the future.

This is my first experience with Maui Brewing Company and would like to search out other offerings.

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: snifter. pours a impenetrable dark brown that looks black. light brown head, quick dissipation, practically no lacing.

S: aromas of rich roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, light hint of coconut. some cherries as well.

T: big and rich. tons of chocolate, coffee, light hints of tobacco. light coconut, some serious cherry flavors. wonderful roasted malts. like a cherry Mounds candy bar. very intense palate for a porter.

M: low carbonation level, which is really enjoyable. medium to full bodied for the style. big palate on this one, very chewy.

D: ABV is according to style, and the flavor is just phenomenal. well worth getting and drinking over and over again. very drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to CoreyRhoads for this beer.

12oz. can poured into a tulip.

A: Very dark for a porter, completely black and doesn't let light through. 2 fingers of latte foam with decent retention but not much lacing.

S: Good porter aroma. Lightly roasted malts, not too bitter or harsh. A light cola aroma. Picking up just a bit a sweetness that might be from the coconut but really no other indications.

T/M: Coconut comes out a bit more in the taste and plays a good supporting role to a milky chocolate taste and texture. It's probably a good thing that the coconut doesn't get too big. Chocolate body is nice and is accompanied by some buttery creaminess and a touch of lightly roasted malt. Body is about medium with assertive carbonation.

D: Drinks pretty easy and has a low ABV. Add tasty and you got yourself some pretty good drinkability. I was a bit worried about this one, thinking the coconut could easily get too potent and ruin things. Not the case here.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

can poured into a snifter has a dark chestnut brown color and a thin layer of frothy thick brown head. aroma has bakers chocolate, light toasted coconut, thick chewy malt, and faint underlying hops. chewy nose and a little nutty. mouth feel is medium thick with fine carbonation and good coating. flavor is loaded with malt, heavy chocolate, coffee notes, and more toasted coconut than anticipated. sweetness is enough to keep the bitterness in check and the finish is roasted sweetness with a long duration. really full and chewy bordering on milkshake with roast that just puts it over the top.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Big thanks to swnicholson for tossing in this one of many extras.

A: Pours a dark chocolate brown with a huge, foamy sugar cookie--colored head that produces a bar or two of lacing as it slowly sinks to just a blanket.

S: Simple but inviting aromas of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, and yes, hints of fresh shaved coconut. However, I likely wouldn't have been able to pinpoint the coconut aroma had I not known this was a coconut beer.

T: Yeah, this is a tasty stout. I said stout, not porter. Big flavors of sweet chocolate and roasted malts, tad of coconut and bitter(chocolate)ness on the finish. Really delicious.

M: Smooth and creamy, medium bodied with mild carbonation. Real winner here as well.

D: I'd certainly call this both a highly drinkable and sessionable beer. I would seel this beer out, and will likely do that shortly after I finish this one. It's canned too, which is a plus.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Another donation from jtrockchalk. 12 oz can poured into pint glass.
A - Nearly black with 2 finger tan head that diminished a bit quickly. Thin lacing on glass.
S - Toasted malt, milky chocolate, coffee, and very subtle toasted coconut.
T - Well roasted malt, milk chocolate with notes of coffee with a subdued toasted coconut on the finish.
M - A bit lighter on the mouthfeel than some porters, but very balanced and palatable. Surprisingly clean on the finish.
D - This is VERY drinkable. Anyone put off by the fact that it comes in a can and is called 'coconut porter' should give this a try. It's one of the most drinkable porters I've tried. Too bad it isn't readily available here. I would always keep it on hand.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to pretzelcity for the trade.

A - A deep tiger's eye pour with a sand head that disappears after a bit, some lacing.

S - Caramel, candy, maybe a little butterscotch (not in a bad way), and quite a bit of coconut.

T - Okay, I need to level with people now. Coconut is one of the most polarizing flavors that I've encountered amongst my friends and comrades. You either dig it or you don't. I happen to like it a lot, that's why I wanted to get the beer. Starting out, the coconut is not a huge flavor, but roastiness, coffee, and a hint of burnt sugar give way to the coconut quite a bit as it warms. It's really quite nice for someone who likes coconut. For a friend that does not, it might not be a pleasant experience. Some vanilla also comes through in the warming. Fantastic.

M - Quite creamy, I like that in a porter, or any beer for that matter. Coats the tongue just enough, pleasant aftertaste. Would go great with angel-food cake. A little bit of alcohol comes at the end when it warms.

D - This is definitely something I would have every day if forced to only drink one beer... in Hawai'i. But since that isn't the case, I will say that, while it isn't something that I would go absolutely bonkers for, it's certainly a beer with having once or twice at the end of a nice day.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Cool looking can.

A- Deep brown cola color with a monster brown head.

S- toasted grain and chocolate malt in the nose as well as sweet creamy coffee aromas.

T/M- Burnt coconut appears late on the finish, its flavor is not as abrupt as i thought it would be, no alcohol burn, very slight bitterness and notes of burnt stone fruit and some yeasty notes as the beer warms. Light in body.

D- Good drinkability, i expected something more extreme but im pretty satisfied.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

This beer pours a very dark brown color, with a light brown head. the head fades slowly, leaving a sparce lacing.

This beer has a toasted coconut aroma. Ity smells sweet and malty. It have a very subtle chocolate aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. A very nice toasted coconut flavor. Very nice. It has a malty sweet flavor as well, mixing in with some coffee.

This beer is crisp and smooth. It leaves a coconut like aftertaste. It is a little highte in carbonation than I would have expected.

This beer would probably make a decent session beer. It is low enough in alcohol. The flavor though may become cloying after a time.

Overall: This was probably the best beer I had while in Hawaii. I am glad to have brought back a few 4 packs, since I have never seen it in the continental US. Great beer, and I will buy it every time I see it.

3.94/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, near black body with no real substantial head formation, but I was running my damn mouth, so I could've just missed it.

Smell: Pleasant aroma; a blend of chocolate, coconut, dark malts, and morningtime coffee.

Taste: Dark maltiness tasting of roasty coffee and baker's chocolate and, of course, there's the toasted coconut shavings. Medium sweetness. Light, earthy hops and bitterness. Sweetish finish where the coconut really gains a hold over the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A yummy porter is what it is. And in a can, no less. The addition of coconut breathes a bit of new life into the humble, sometimes lackluster porter style. I feel a trip to Hawaii would be entirely wasted on me, as I'd spend a considerable amount of it at the Maui Brewing Co.

4.19/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Saw a 4 pack at BevMo and probably wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't heard about it from Nick the Wiseman since it's in cans. You truly are wise Nick.

Appearance: Dark crimson and pours with a thick tan head. A little bit of lacing but not much.

Smell: Wow! After the first whiff I had to remind myself I was smelling a beer. I really could smell the coconut and chocolate. Almond Joy anyone?

Taste: Roasted and malty. And I really can taste the coconut. It is an excellent touch. I think I will start adding coconut to everything I drink now. Almost tastes like they should be selling it at starbucks (I wish).

Mouthfeel: It feels a bit diluted. Not viscous enough for a porter. However, the aftertaste leaves my mouth watering for more.

Drinkability: I'm having a hard time deciding if I should drink some more. If I were in the mood to toss back a lot of beer I would be inclined to do so with this beer just because of the taste. However, I think I would probably start to get sick of it after a few more. It's definitely worth 1 or 2 at a time though.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Almost black. Dark ruby streaking is apparant when held to a light source. medium sized light brown head. Good staying power. Lacing comes in full sheets. Very nice aroma of with thick roasted malts and chocolate and cocoa. Vanilla too and toasted nuts. the first thing I notice is the light body this porter has. It's light to light-medium on the viscosity meter. Too low in my opinion. Carbonation is appropriate. The toasted coconut is apparent on the buds. And it really adds a nice counterpoint to the thickly roasted malt character and bitter chocolate notes. I like the flavor. And this one is going down too fast. Good beer.

3.84/5  rDev -4%

Received a couple of these from TexasWayne a few days ago and have been dying to give one a whirl. This will be my first brew from Maui Brewing. Drank out of my Port Brewing Company pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a super dark brown with a fizzy half finger dark tan head that recedes very very quickly. I don't know if the oils (or anything else for that matter) in the coconut kill head retention but there isn't a single trace of head on this thing.
Smell- Some nice dark roasted maltiness to start that may have SOME toasted coconut but I'm leaning more toward it's just me wanting to smell the coconut. Tinges of vanilla and loads of milk chocolate that seems to be the focal point as it warms. Really nice nose. Maybe they should drop the nut and just call this Coco Porter because that's the nose.
Taste- Right where the nose left off. Loads of rich milky chocolaty goodness that is reminiscent of carbonated Nestle Quick. I'm assuming the coconut is that woody vanilla like nuttiness that I get. It's a nice combination with the chocolate. Very light citrus bite toward the end that adds a bit of twinge that I wish was a bit lighter. Finishes with a long toasty nuttiness that lingers nicely.
Mouthfeel- On the lighter side as the aggressive carbonation really makes it feel a bit lighter than it probably actually is. Not terribly bad but I could use a bit more body or creaminess.
Drinkability- Well the look and feel of the beer isn't that great but come on, in reality that's not why we drink this stuff. The taste is really nice and although I would like more of a coconut flavor the beer is solid. Very chocolaty and quite tasty. Thanks again to Wayne for sending this my way!

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%

A big thanks goes to Ducksfan for this one.
I had my share of these when I was in Hawaii last summer and i am glad to have a chance to review this one. Smells of coffee with some subtle coconut right after. The taste follows the smell with coffee, bitter chocolate and coconut. The mouthfeel has medium to light body. Drinkability is good, I could have a few of these no problem. Overall this beer is certainly worth a try. Taste's even better on a sandy beach in Hawaii.

4.06/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. can into a DFH snifter. Great can...Like Hot Chicks on the Beach. Classic!

A- Pours almost black...red/brown hits along the edge of the glass. Head is a 1/2" light tan in color that retains alright.

S- Not what I expected...where is the coconut? Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. Coconut starts to appear as the beer warms.

T- Coffee, chocolate, and a good malt presents. Coconut because somewhat present on the finish and more so as the beer warms.

M- Medium body and a smooth drinker...a little creamy. Nicely carbonated.

D- Very drinkable...taste is good...very well done. Something I'll try to find again or they can just ship to Washington.
A big Thanks to Georgiabeer for this one!

4.12/5  rDev +3%

Clear Dark brown colored beer with a tight light brown colored head.

Smell is fruity esters from the yeast a British strain from the scent of it. Great chocolate and coconut aroma for the bulk of this beers scent. More than a little Almond Joy candy aroma here, almond and vanilla are the other major scents here. Finally a trace of coffee aroma.

The taste starts out mildly sweet and mostly chocolate at first. Coconut really only comes in on the third sip and gives this a really creamy taste. Bit of coffee in the aftertaste and almonds.

Mouthfeel is good.

Nice tasty beer here, will probably buy again.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Weibull for this can!

Pours a deep, dark brown...almost black. A tan head made a quick appearance. It did leave some nice lacing behind, though.

The aroma was a bit light. I was hoping for more here. I picked up a faint coconut scent hiding behind the coffee and chocolate.

The flavor was better, though. The coconut, while far from dominant, was noticed more. Coffee and dry, dark chocolate are the main players.

Nice medium body with average carbonation. Very smooth and silky. The low abv and the canned factor make this tasty treat pretty damn drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

From a 12oz can - Pours a dark brownish/black. Below average carbonation, no lacing whatsoever. Smells of strong coffee and chocolate. First sip is all dark chocolate and coffee with just a little coconut notes shinning through. A nice hoppy presence all make it work. Great bitter dark chocolate finish. A very fine beer from our 50th state!

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Can. Cool.

Black liquid. Reasonable head.

Poured into a glass, but still smell the can. Do I smell a coconut or is it a subliminal message to the brain? Smell is not very good.

Tastes just like a Mounds bar. Or maybe an Almond Joy. The coconut is omnipresent.

Pretty smooth. Silky smooth actually.

I'm not big on coconut, in fact I hate'em. Bought this particular beer for the wife, who says it's instantly one of her favorites ever. Cool, maybe she'll stay outta my Founders Breakfast Stout.

Overall: if you like coconuts, you will love this well-crafted brewski.

4.89/5  rDev +22.3%

The can design looks like one of those Starbucks coffee and cream drinks found in supermarkets. Short explanation of why cans are better than bottles, and lots of words and designs on the can. On to the beer:

Some ruby brown hues can be spotted at the bottom of my glass. The beer is opaque in color with a short-lived rocky head before it settles into a one centimeter creamy head. Wow, what a wonderful smell! Fresh coconut and semi-sweet baking choclate tease the nose, molasses creeps out too. Exceptional! Exceptional! One of the best smells I've run across in a beer.

My mouth waters as I anticipate the flavor in my mouth. Yummy yum yum! The flavors are great...semi-sweet chocoalte and molasses are the mainstays, with the coconut flavor close behind. The coconut gains its dominance towards the end of each drink. Has an Alomnd Joy finish to it.

...like hot chicks on the beach, CoCoNut PorTeR (eah! that hurt my eyes!) is mysterious, deceptive, and could never have too many.

Long overdue update on 4/12/11: CoCoNut Porter has become one of my favorites. It also makes a great desert beer.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Near black pour and head leaves fast. Light small bubbled persistent lacing remains.

S - Sweet burnt coffee, some coconut notes behind it.

T- Taste follows smell. Coffee, bitter chocolate, faint reminder of coconut.

M - Medium to light bodied. Not great coating. Good Carb. This beer had me going for gold until the 'M'. It's just thinner than I expected.

D - Having said that, it's very sessionable!

I took this, Old Chub and Dales on a camping trip lately.
GREAT stuff all!

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%

This is another from the mixed sixer I won when I beat mymrnngjckt in fantasy baseball. You suck Kevin.

Pours nearly pitch black, surprisingly dark for a porter, with just a bit of ruby around the edges and no light getting through. Head is a creamy khaki color. Retains quite well and leaves a bit of stick.

Smell is not very powerful, but consists of some roasted malt and coconut. Unfortunately it's a real struggle to get even that.

Taste is much more robust than the smell; that's more like it. Nice roasted malt and coconut nuttiness. Bit of cocoa flavor and some earthy hops. Little bit of coffee, too. Very smooth and flavorful.

Mouthfeel is a creamy medium body, appropriately carbonated and quite smooth.

This is a very tasty porter. The coconut is a subtle flavor, but it's definitely there. Quite drinkable. Tasty stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

I slammed quite a few of these bad boys when in Honolulu on my 24th bday. Review from notes:

Dark cola brown, near black, with a nice cap of tannish espressoy foam. Aromas of conut, dark roasted malts, condensed milk, coffee, chocolate, and more! Taste is very chocolate/coconut up front with more bitter malt/hop/coffee in the back end. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and excellent, as is the drinkability. Great stuff.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

You can't judge a beer by its container I suppose. Although a canned beer, the appearance as it pours is a pretty opaque brown with a nice tan head.

This Hawaiian import definitely has some coconut aroma, but it's not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. The aroma is there, but in taste it's almost only an aftertaste. It's smooth and very drinkable and isn't too overpowering in any particular facet. I recommend it, but as more of a tasty session beer than something more memorable.

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.