CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

rAvg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 829 | Hads: 1,865
4.16/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

General - This was a 4 pack of cans that I managed to get from a small beer store around my area. The can idea has always been a turn off for me but it completely makes sense. I poured the beer into a New Belgium Tulip glass.

Appearance - Black as night with a tannish head on it. The head doesn't last too long and there wasn't really any lacing to speak of.

Aroma - You can tell that there is coconut in this beer, it is the pronounced aroma with a heavy malty sweetness.

Taste - Just the like aroma indicates, big coconut hit in the cace with a very heavy maltiness. It almost seems like there is a thick syrup flavor to it with a molasses or something. It's really sweet, a little too sweet for me but it's still a good porter.

Mouthfeel - Really good mouthfeel on this, it is almost creamy because of the malt content. I enjoyed it. There wasn't a lot of carbonation but enough for the style.

Overall - Good specialty porter, it's not something that I would want to drink every day but it's something that is enjoyable every once in a while. For people who like lighter microbrews this could be a nice introduction into the heavier styles. (1,153 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10%

L: is very dark and black
S: is bitter coco and licorice and a faint coconut smell.
T:is a good porter clean tasting, spicyness and licorice. With a SOY sauce taste. Of you have ever had Thai dark soy sauce this is reminiscent of it. But it does not have a sweetened or toasted coconut flavor. It is good for the price point. (325 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

This brew poured dark black with a fluffy, light cocoa-colored head that lingers, lacing up the glass. The smell of sweet coconut and licorice is prevalent. The taste is thin and tinny, but has a bit of a hoppy aftertaste that is not unpleasant, but it soon disipates into a bitter finish on the tongue. The mouthfeel leaves little to encourage you to hold it in your mouth. Overall, the beer is drinkable, but not great. The coconut and hops kind of battle each other. (469 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

This was a gimme from my lil buddy ~ Mr. Mustachio. Highly anticipated, greatly appreciated & well worth the wait. When my coconut freak sister in law saw it in the refrigerator she said she wasn't leaving until I opened it. I willingly obliged.

A ~ Predominantly black, opaque body with ruby edges showing when back lit. Khaki colored, foamy head with good retention & nice lacing.

S ~ Very nice. Coffee, cocoa & creamy malts with a pleasant & not overpowering hint of toasted coconut. Fresh & clean.

T ~ Nothing unnatural or artificial about the taste. Coffee & bitter chocolate with a little nutty smoke, toasty malts & the ghostly presence of fresh, toasted coconut. Well blended all around. My sister in law looked like she was gonna cry!!! "OH YEA! You GOTTA get more of this~ PLEEEEZE!"

M ~ Creamy, chewy crisp & clean with a superb finish. Full bodied & deeliscious.

D ~ Hard to beat & hard to beleive it's from a can! This is a well done Porter that's a little different, very approachable & very easy to drink & enjoy. Too bad it's not as easy to find. I'll be trading for more. (1,093 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

A = Really dark brown to black with a khaki or off-white head less than a finger thick. Head quickly dissipates.

S = Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and subtle roasty coconut aroma. As the beer warms the smell intensifies.

T = The taste follows the smell. Roasted malt sweetness, chocolate, coffee and coconut. The finish is dry due to some hop presence.

M = Dry, medium, smooth. Goes down easy and fast.

O = This is a great year-round beer and at 6% ABV you can session this one while you think of Hawaii and Hula girls. One interesting note, the more I drink this beer the more the taste reminds me of a muted Almond Joy. Ans I love Almond Joy bars. YUM! Cheers!

Glass = Imperial Pint.

Serving Temp 42F warmed to 52F before finish. (740 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours deep black with a tan head that stands tall.

Smells like a porter. Mainly roasted barley, slight hop bitterness, light amount of esters. And then, hidden amongst the flavors is that trophy of coconut.

Tastes like a porter. A very good porter at that. Well balanced, sweet chocolate and burnt tones without being heavy and packing a well measured amount of barley flavor. But what's that other flavor I'm getting? It's like there's a tiny little pina colada hiding somewhere in this glass.

Mouthfeel is good. Slightly more carbonated than I like my darker beers, but it's from a can and I haven't really seen a brewery undercarbonate in cans correctly yet.

Overall: *steps up on soapbox* Hear yee hear yee... All yee brewers take notice. When you make a flavored beer, do not make the flavoring the only thing you can taste. You're brewers for crying out loud. If I wanted a porter that tasted like an island themed air freshener, I'd buy a wine cooler. This beer has performed a deed known to be nearly impossible, to hint at a flavoring, and have it compliment the beer without dominated it. Here's looking at you, Hell or High Watermelon. CoCoNut Porter is a great beer because it is first and foremost, a great porter. The coconut in it is just a silver lining that makes me like the taste of the beer more, as all beer flavoring should do. (1,353 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Received as part of an awesome trade. Surprisingly, my first craft beer from a can.

I'm not a big fan of coconut, so I'm not so sure about this one.

A - Pours dark brown/black color. Thin white head dissipates into nothing quickly. The beer looks basically uncarbed after 15 minutes.

S - Good smell. Nice porter smells with sweetness from the coconut.

T - Very good and smooth. I really enjoy this. Nice tasting porter with some sweetness from the coconut. The coconut definitely doesn't overpower, but is a nice compliment to the beer.

M - Starts off excellent, but the beer is literally flat 10-15 minutes into the tasting. Strange.

Overall very good beer. I really enjoyed it. (685 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Gracias to Einweizenbitte for this canister.

a- Dark brown with a big foamy billowy head. Looks similar to cola the way it pours.

S- Faint coconut aromas, some sweet chocolate, and and earthy aroma tinged with pecan. Smells disctinctive and interesting

T- Bright initial sweetness, almost cane sugar esque that quickly gives way to a dry earthy flavor ( coconut shell?) with hints of coconut and roasted malts. I got a funny metallic flavor initially, but once the beer warmed it dissipated. Cola flavor in this one also.

M- Just about right, a little on the thin side towards the end of the swallow. Very dry finish

D- It's an extremely drinkable beer. I enjoyed it and would definitely like to have this around. (718 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -18.5%

(BA / BJCP)

Very dark brown. Creamy cola colored head forms and lasts quite long. Spotted etching remains, along with a scattered film.
(5 / 3)

Heavy chocolate, medium coconut, medium-light roast, light caramel. Very light herbal hop, and very light fruity esters.
(4 / 10)

Moderate roasted malt. Medium-light nuttiness. Light chocolate. High hop bitterness. Light acidity from the roast. Light herbal hop. Light vegetal characteristic starts on the finish and continues throughout the aftertaste. Stale-like qualities.
(3 / 12)

Medium-light body, medium-high carbonation. Moderate astringency.
(3 / 3)

The aroma gave me the initial impression that this beer was going to be stellar. However, the complex, beautifully balanced aroma did not carry through to the taste. The flavor was messy and had some off-flavors. Where is the taste of coconut?
(2.5 / 5)

(3.2 / 33) (873 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a snifter.

A- pours an opaque black with a thick tan head that faded quickly, leaving a thin film of bubbles on top of the beer.

S- roasty coffee dominates. Get some sweetness in the toasted coconut.

T- roast coffee carries through to the flavor. The coconut comes through as a sweet taste on the back end. Finishes semi-sweet but the roast grain does add a bit of dryness.

M- medium-full bodied with medium-high carbonation.

O- a very good example of the porter style. The coconut is there but gets a bit overwhelmed by the strong roasted malts. As it warms the coconut picks up some. Kind of reminds me of coffee and doughnuts. (673 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

I should start off by saying that this stuff is dangerous... my room mate calls it candy beer...

It pours beautifully into a tulip... DEEP brown, not quite black, but with zero opacity. looks somewhat light, but it's sticky lace leads me to believe it will be a bit more full than it looks. turning the glass to an angle allows for it's mocha tan head to leave a sheet of lace going down the side.

smells of milk chocolate, some light roasted malts and... yeah, coconut... lots of coconut. This stuff is sweet through the nose and the mouth.

tastes like wet, crisp malts and coconut right off the bat... it's sweet, but not overly sweet. slowly, as you aerate the palate, the sweet malts turn a touch bitter and all you're left with is some coconut at the back of your throat. This beer is a treat, that's the best way to describe it. it's for desert.

mouth is wonderful on this one. medium and creamy, it's really perfect... I honestly wouldn't change a thing.

scary drinkable, just as I said. the only downside is I would expect a stomach ache after a few of these... it's real sweet and I wouldn't expect that to sit too well... especially not overnight.

I love this beer... truly. (1,190 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to both BrewTull and younger35 for including this as a throw-in.

A: Dark brown with a small tan head.

S: I like it. The smell is not unlike a typical porter, smokey roasted chocolately malts. The coconut is there but not overpowering, just a nice subtle presence.

T: mmm - I like this shit! Much better than I anticipated. Very smooth. The coconut shines through perfectly. I think this would be a good porter without the coconut. But the coconut kicks up the complexity to the next level. I like it a lot.

M: Medium body, with nice carbonation.

D: I wish I had a six-pack of this stuff. Hell, I'd settle for a two-pack! (633 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thnx to ARenbeer for a can of this.
This beer came all the way across the country for me to try so i was very excited.

A- A very dark brown/black color with 2 fingers that receede quick with little lacing.
S- The aromas are in your face chocolate and coffee, toasted coconut, hazlenut, butter.
T- Chocolate toasted coconut and hazlenut coffee without the sugar.
M- Light bodied for a porter, moderate carbonation.
D- I could easily have a few of these, they are very tastey.
O- Glad to have tried this and would love more, It's unfortunate they are so far from where i live. (578 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a deep black with a nice light brown head which shrinks only slightly while drinking. Smell is only slightly of coconut but that works for me. Taste is nice for a porter - no smoky flavors that I can detect, but nice coconut, roast, and slight chocolate and coffee. Mouthfeel is also good - not too thick, not too thin, with good but not excessive carbonation. Overall, very good - the coconut flavor compliments a nice porter. (437 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Creamy black pour with mild 1 inch head that recedes within a few minutes, leaving a few specks of lacing.

S: Smells like Hawaiian Tropics sun sunscreen... like hot chicks on the beech (proof that I can read and regurgitate the slogan on the can). Also some tasty coffee, mocha, and hazelnut in there.

T: The chocolate and coconut are the main things here.

M: subtle booziness rounds off the sticky sweetness.

D: a tasty beer, I can feel the sugar rushing through my head tho... so I don't think I would drink too many of these... I might just be a bit hungover from Winterstorm at Stone last night??? (610 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

A friend brought a six-pack back from Maui including three of the Maui Brewing beers; this is the first I've tried. I really like the idea of a coconut porter, but nearly all among the few I've tried have been pretty mediocre -- one even verging on mildly offensive.

If, like me, you're enjoying this one from the can, let it warm up a bit before indulging. The aroma and flavor really benefit from the increase in serving temperature.

This one is dark and relatively full-bodied. Capped with a creamy coffee-brown tinged head and sporting light carbonation, this definitely a thick and robust example within the style. The aroma is very mild at first (especially if served too cold), mostly roasted malt. A few minutes on, I'm glad I let this warm before being too judgmental. It's starting to smell more like a mix between cocoa, vanilla and toasted malt.

On the other hand, the flavor is up front regardless of temperature. A relatively assertive hoppy bitterness precedes a rich, smooth roasted malt and chocolate flavor with a subtle hint of coconut. It's perhaps a bit too early to admit it, but this is probably the best coconut porter I've had yet. The aftertaste is a mix of coffee, chocolate and coconut -- very pleasant. Well balanced. Mouthfeel is very smooth, although this one obviously has some body. It almost has a bit of chewiness to it, like drinking a very smooth milkshake. I wonder if there's a bit of wheat in the malt bill. Whatever it is, it melds very well with the other ingredients.

It goes without saying that this is really drinkable. I'd bet folks who don't even like coconut all that much would enjoy this beer.

A really nice porter. The folks at Hale's trying to brew a coconut porter ought to have a few of these, throw out their old recipe and then try again. (1,799 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: A robust, opaque black. Pours an alarmingly sturdy slightly off white head. Very consistent and very dense. Looks oh-so yummy.

Smell: The dry and chocolaty notes typical of a porter are present. There's also a slightly creamy "nose-feel" to it if that makes any sense, perhaps that's the coconut making itself known.

Taste: Oh yea, that's a good beer. I am not a coconut person by any stretch of the imagination but this is damn good. The dark, chocolaty, malty flavors of this porter are mixed in the sensual goodness of milky coconut. A tinge of bitterness from the hops makes a small appearance here but you have to be looking for it. What I notice about this beer is it doesn't have layered depth like some dark beers where each flavor announces itself on a different part of the tongue at different times, rather the flavors are blended together forming a new entity. Yum Yum.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied without being heavy. Its creamy and smooth. The lighter, less dry flavor of this brew lingers in your mouth without nuking your pallet. Just a fantastic little beer.

Drinkability: Alas, I have never given a 5 to a beer before and this will definitely not be the beer to break that mold. That being said, I have to stretch the finite expanse of my mortal imagination to conjure up the image of a more drinkable beer.

So good. One of my good friends here raves about this beer and now I know why. I will be waiting with great anticipation for this in the years to come. (1,530 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

A- dark brown with a thick beige head

S- smells SO good. This beer smells like you are sticking your nose into a can of Almond Joy. One of the best parts of the beer is the smell.

T- Chocolate, vanilla, slight coffee, and toasted coconut. The taste is a very well balanced blend of these flavors. Coincidentally, it also tastes very similar to an Almond Joy. Great beer.

M- Slides down the back of our throat nicely. Couldn't chug it, but wouldn't really want to.

D- I drink 1 or 2 of these every once and a while and I'm as happy as a clam. This isn't really a session beer, but it also doesn't really claim to be. It is a great beer, but maybe on a one can at a time basis. (679 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

Last week was the first time I ever saw Maui Brewing in my area, and I was intrigued.

A - Very dark brew, nearly black, with a tan head about a finger and a half in thickness. Left some good lacing.

S - Strong on chocolate and coffee, with a hint of coconut. Just a hint. A pleasing smell all in all.

T - Very well balanced brew. Chocolate, coffee, and hazelnut flavors start off, followed by some roasty malts, then finishes with some hop bite and light coconut flavor. The coconut does add a nice dimension to the porter and mixes well with the other flavors.

M - Fairly light, very drinkable for a porter.

O - A fine porter that I would buy more often if it wasn't so expensive. (687 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Poured from 12oz can. First canned "craft" beer I've ever had.

It pours a damn near black and forms nice tan head that dissipates quickly.

Was expecting coconut in the aroma but detected none whatsoever. Huge amounts of roasted & chocolate malts. Very malty/bready scent. Mild sprinkling of hops.

Didn't taste much coconut at all! Very disappointing in that regard. Outside of that the taste is great. Powerful taste of the roasted barely with some mild fruity esters in there. Finishes with the nice taste of cocoa powder.

It's alive and kicking on the palate! Very carbonated (maybe a little too carbonated for this style?) Medium/full body that feels great.

Pretty drinkable and enjoyable if your a roasted barley fan. Not very strong at all in the ABV so it's easy to put back a couple pints.

For a porter it's great but since it's labeled as a coconut porter I was expecting more coconut aromas and flavors. None of which made it to this brew. (957 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a tulip glass 12/28/10. Reviewed on paper 12/28, transcribed into BA 12/29.

A: Dark, dark, dark brown with large two finger head and heavy lacing.

S: Very rich and roasty malt aroma. Missing seems to be the coconut. It would receive a 4 if I was able to place the coconut, but as poured it smells like an above average porter.

T: Toasted/roasted malts but where's the coconut? There was a nice roasty after taste that lingered shortly after sip but not overpowering or distracting.

M: Medium bodied. The bite of the carbonation seemed to overpower the taste a tad, until of course the after taste kicked in.

D: Tastes good, feels good, drinks good. Won't drink a 4pk in one sitting. One yes, maybe two in a sitting.

Comments: Expected it to be a little more sweet. Pleasantly surprised it wasn't as I don't have a sweet tooth. That having been said, I would have liked some coconut. Does it fade? Was mine not fresh? (946 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter- 6% abv.

A: very dark with an off white head that vanishes to a thin line on top.

S: coconut, roasted malt.

T: sweet, roasty malt, with pronounced toasted coconut. Very creamy-coconut-y like coconut milk, also has a chocolatey aftertaste.

M: thin and bubbly, creamy, very drinkable for a dark beer. Sweet creamy coconut and dark chocolatey malt lingers on the palate.

O: super good porter. Sweet and roasty and drinkable. Complex coconut/dark chocolatey flavor. One of my favorite beers. Unlike Kona beer which is contract brewed in Portland (making it a really local beer for me lol), you know they really shipped this Coconut Porter in from Maui at huge cost to the environment because they have to pack it in the reinforced aluminum cans that are thicker because they are designed to make it across the Pacific. (851 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to make some homemade ice cream infused with some Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but my local grocery store didn't carry it. I didn't really feel like making another trip this particular day, so I decided to try the Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter instead. I got the 4 packer home and immediately pulled one off of the black plastic holder. The thing had a death grip on the beer and I had to really muscle it off. I guess that move shook the can too much because when I pulled the tap I lost a good 2 oz. of the beer from spew.

That brings me to the appearance. The foam was way up, obviously, but then disappeared to almost nothing very quickly. I don't know if that's because it exploded and thus ruined the carbonation, but I was shocked at how poorly it held the head.

Dispite the head the color of the beer is beautiful. It's a deep deep brown and when it holds to the light you almost see a marroonish color coming through. Only slightly foggy, this is a good looking porter, despite the disappointing head.

The smell is really nice. I smell coffee roast, very roasty. I'm also getting chocolates and some a little sweetness (from the Coconut?)

Lots of coffee roastedness in the taste. Good aftertaste that doesn't overpower, I also gets some hops up front, which I like. Hops in Porters and Stouts often get overpowered by the malts and I like that it's there.

That pre-beer shake up and subsequent blow up HAD to have hurt the carbonation because it's evident in the mouthfeel. I'll have to assume that there's supposed to be more carbonation in this. Decent mouthfeel, my first reaction is that it's a little thin. Maybe I'm just saying that because of the lack of carbonation. I'm also having to remember that I'm more accustomed to stouts which are thicker. Still, I can't help but want a little more.

Overall, it's a good beer. Not my fav but I think it will do the job. I'll definitely have to try it again. This time I'll let it sit for a few minutes if I happen to yank it violently from it's vice grip holder. (2,043 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a very dark brown color with a tan head with some lacing

Nose has roasted malt right off the bat, then some chocolate, then lastly the sweet coconut to round it out.

Tastes just like it smells malty, chocolaty, with some coconut characteristics to round it out. Tastes like a night on a Hawaiian beach.

Mouthfeel is like it should be. Medium body and pretty good carbonation.

Overall this beer is exactly what a "Hawaiian Porter" should be. Paradise in a can. Love this beer for what it is, a Coconut Porter.
I've had this beer more than once and thoroughly enjoy it every time I have it. (601 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Saw a 4 pack at BevMo and probably wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't heard about it from Nick the Wiseman since it's in cans. You truly are wise Nick.

Appearance: Dark crimson and pours with a thick tan head. A little bit of lacing but not much.

Smell: Wow! After the first whiff I had to remind myself I was smelling a beer. I really could smell the coconut and chocolate. Almond Joy anyone?

Taste: Roasted and malty. And I really can taste the coconut. It is an excellent touch. I think I will start adding coconut to everything I drink now. Almost tastes like they should be selling it at starbucks (I wish).

Mouthfeel: It feels a bit diluted. Not viscous enough for a porter. However, the aftertaste leaves my mouth watering for more.

Drinkability: I'm having a hard time deciding if I should drink some more. If I were in the mood to toss back a lot of beer I would be inclined to do so with this beer just because of the taste. However, I think I would probably start to get sick of it after a few more. It's definitely worth 1 or 2 at a time though. (1,067 characters)

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.