CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros

4.94/5  rDev +24.4%

Epic brew from Maui! Light nutty brown pour from 12oz. can. Nice two finger frothy head and a real coconut aroma. The coconut hits the nose immediately and is a proper introduction to what flavor was to come. Great coconut flavor, not overly sweet, and well balanced with a malty mocha notes. The creaminess of the beer is spectacular, it's richness in body is truely unique in my experience with porters. Grade A Maui, hopefully I won't have to drive 12 hours to get your next offering!

My first from Maui Brewing Co. and hopefully not my last.

Pours a 2 finger light brown creamy head that displayed pretty good retention atop this dark brown brew. The scent reveals coffee, vanilla, and loads of roasted malts. The taste follows very closely showcasing the roasted malts allowing a hint of bitterness to poke through. The body is medium and well carbonated.

Overall I found this to be a highly enjoyable beer that I am happy to know is available whenever I crave it again!

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Cans are great, except they're a pain in the ass to pour slowly into a glass. I ended up having some run down the side of the can.

A: Dark brown, appearing nearly black except as light passes through. Excellent fluffy tan head with great foamy lacing.

S: I get a lot of chocolate and coffee smell from the beer. I pick a roasted coconut smell too. It smells just like a chocolate coconut doughnut sitting next to a cup of coffee.

T: It tastes very good. I pick up a lot of the same flavors as I smelled...the same coffee and coconut. I like that I can taste the coconut. It doesn't have the same chocolate flavor that pops out from the smell...tastes like a plain coconut doughnut.

M: The beer is a bit thin as far as porters are concerned. It's a lighter bodied beer that is very easy to drink. I would have liked more body to the beer. The bitterness and carbonation are nice though, which makes up for the body.

O: Overall I would drink it again. It's not just a novelty coconut beer. It's actually very good for a porter. Again, I wish there was more body...but the flavor stands out very well. I would drink it again, and I would recommend it.

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Head: Has little to no head with no lace when drinking.

Color: Beer has a nice dark brown color.

Aroma: Has a strong nutty/chocolate scent.

Mouth-feel: Smooth & creamy…heavy feel but low carbonation feel compared to visible carbonation.

Taste: Has a balanced sweet & bitter flavor…a malty start and hoppy finish.

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Just shy of two fingers worth of tightly packed uniform that is dark tan in color and has a slightly wavy, not quite rocky, top that become creamier and richer as it begins to settle... Solid retention ultimately yields to a thick rich lacing and thin collar... A couple streaks of moderate paced carbonation rise along the sides of the glass... The color is a flat black...

S - At the forefront is a terrific mix of fudge brownies and coffee... A layer beneath is a smorgasbord various chocolate notes... Cocoa... Milk chocolate... Dark chocolate... Chocolate milk... Malt - the kind found in whoppers and milk shakes... Some light roasted malts as well... Just a kiss of soy sauce as well...

T - Unfortunately much of the complexity and intrigue of the aromas doesn't translate to the palette... The flavor is in no way off putting, but it is a let down after a stellar aroma... Roasted malts and cocoa to start... The finish is exceedingly nutty with some faint coconut flavors mixed in as well...

M - Medium bodied... A bit chalky... Light to medium carbonation... The finish is slightly dry... Rather one dimensional...

D - The tale of two beers... The appearance and aroma were excellent... The flavor and mouthfeel were rather pedestrian... The end result is a solid, but unremarkable offering...

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Can gifted by coworker dated 030111. Poured to pint.

A: Pours a quite dark brown with a pinky of fine-bubbled head. A tip of the glass reveals constant carbonation streaming up from the depths. No lacing to speak of.

S: Big semi-sweet toasted coconut and chocolate. Good balance.

T: Nice coconut here, too. Roasted malts with a hint of coffee. Mild, pleasant sweetness that plays nicely with the bitterness.

M: Medium-light. Too carbonated, though. A little sticky afterward.

A nice beer; pleasantly surprised considering the can date. I think one in a sitting is plenty. This filled in for dessert, and did so admirably.

I'd have one again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Nice deep brown color. Small tan head. Roasted malt and dark chocolate aroma. Sharp and acrid flavor upfront-almost a burnt malt and bakers chocolate flavor. Somewhat metallic though I know that isnt from the can. Grainy tasting. Perhaps a whisper of coconut but not what I was expecting. Ok mouthfeel. A decent enough porter but really lacks what it takes to be very good in my book. Could use more coconut.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from can into tulip. Bottled 9/21/11.
Pours a deep brown with a fine foam head that sticks. Looks awesome. Smells of roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate.
Taste is very good...chocolatey roasted malts and coffee; very little coconut. This is super smooth.
Overall, its an excellent porter, but lacking in coconut flavor (in my opinion). I would buy next time I see it.

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

Let me start out by saying that this beer is fantastic!
Although it is in a can, the design on the can it pleasing, but it does not benefit the taste of the beer at all, but we all knew that already.

Head - Medium w/ light brown shading
Carbonation - Medium
Color - Dark brown, giving it a thick quality
Aroma - CHOCOLATE, not hoppy, but definite malty sweetness.
Body/Mouthfeel - Just like liquid chocolate with hints of coconut, making it smooth and creamy and very sweet. Finishes with a bitter taste making it slightly heavy and taste a couple swallows to cleanse my mouth of the flavor.
Flavor - Chocolate covered coconut pieces

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer had a large head and was fairly dark. The aroma smelled of a little bit of coffee with more chocolaty undertones. This is a very creamy beer that stays in the mouth for quite a while. You can detect no hops and has a nice malty sweetness. This porter was very enjoyable and I would definitely drink it again.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

This is my first beer from Maui Brewing Company.

Beer came in a can and was poured into pint glass.

A - The beer pours a rich, dark color. Brown/red like edges when held to the light. An awesome 2 finger milk chocolate head with great retention. Head sticks around a while then slowly fades. Great lacing showing a healthy beer. Really like the look of this beer.

S - Strong roasted malt most likely a black patent. Hints of coffee and chocolate tones. The coconut wasn't nearly as strong as I thought it would be in this beer. It was a great compliment to malt roast.

T - The first flavor that hit my tongue was the roasted malts. Secondly those are accompanied with a sweet richness and Chocolate/Coffee notes follow. The back mouth feel is where I noticed the coconut hit. Very unusal blend.

M - Medium carbonation and body

O -With this my first beer from Maui Brewing I find this beer very unique. It's very different from my usual Porter that I enjoy drinking. The blending of the flavors makes it difficult for the palate to really bind everything together, which I noticed some other reviewers noticed as well. I would recommend if you enjoy porters to switch gears a bit and put one of these down. Very interesting experience.

12 oz can purchased in Las Vegas in early November. Can on date says 06/21/11. Poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: Darker than a few of the stouts that I have had before. A nice looking two finger tan head.

Smell: The smell is semisweet chocolate and subtle toasted coconut mixed with sweet malts. Maybe some earthy hops notes, but they are pretty subtle also.

Taste: The chocolate is not as noticeable as in the smell. The bitterness is more forward than the sweetness, but neither one is overpowering. The coconut is still a subtle toasted flavor rather than a sweet almond joy type flavor. The flavor lingers a good long time. A little bit of sweetness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is strong and prickly on this one. I would like to try it on draft and see what how a softer carbonation would fare. The body seems pretty middle of the road to me.

Overall: This is a good beer, and I will get more of it when I travel. The coconut flavors may go right by someone that is not expecting them.

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.