CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

rAvg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 828 | Hads: 1,863
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Found at a local store, intrigued by the coconut.
Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pours really dark with mocha foam. No lacin,g. On the glass. Smells of coffee and chocolate. Tastes sweeter than most porters with the faint hint of coconut. Different, but very good. First time I have had a coconut porter, would enjoy comparing to another. (344 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Can marked 12/2010, poured into a NB Globe

A - Great big pour!! Lots of head! Thin lacing remains on the glass. Brew is very brown with lots of black, while head is straw color foam.

S - Big milk chocolate! Some nice coconut sweetness too. Very deep and dark. Definite roasty coffee

T - WOW! Coffee, coco, and nutty. Great taste.

M - Perfect carbonation! Very wet and deliverers fantastic flavor! Incredible smoothness!

O - Awesome brew, with 9 months on it, it only gets better! (484 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%

Got this bad boy as an extra in a trade, Thanks Brad! Poured from a can into my DFH signature glass.

A: Pours a nice deep brown/black with a tan fluffy head. That sticks around for a little bet then subsides slowly to a thin pillow of film. Not really much lace.

S: I'm picking up the aromas slight toasted coffee and some dark chocolates. There is a slight sweetness to the nose that must be the toasted coconut.

T: Ah, the nose made the brew have such high hopes, but it fell flat. There is a slight roast from the coffee, but that's about all I'm getting. There is also a very slight metallic taste that I can only imagine is the can. The brew might be a little too cold so I'm going to let it warm up a bit. Even after letting the brew warm it still underwhelmed and the taste was relatively unchanged.

M: Nicely carbonated with a pretty thin body for the style. There is a nice sweetness left on the palate that I wish came through on the initial taste.

O: This was a solid porter overall, but the taste was lacking pretty muted. Even after I let the brew warm a bit there still wasn't much there. (1,108 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

A- Deep brown with a tan head.
S- Roasty malt small.
T- Starts with the roasted malt flavor and ends with a coffee taste.
MO- Creamy feel. Worth trying if you get to the islands. Although this was my favorite brewery in Hawaii not my my favorite beer. (251 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Craft beer in a can huh? Thanks to 3rd Row Tailgater for bringing this one back to me from Maui!

It pours a dark brown color with a couple fingers of frothy off-white head. Fantastic looking beer!

The aroma is chocolatey malt with a little medicinal quality that might be the coconuts coming through.

The taste is rich and roasted with a very faint coconut flavor. It's nice but I wish it had more coconut!

Overall a really good porter. The can didn't seem to affect anything, I just wish it has more coconut. (515 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a can into a pint. If memory serves me well, this is the first canned craft brew I've ever had.

Appearance: A beautiful darkened, reddish tinged color. This is how all great porters should look. Poured a wonderfully huge head, which slowly settles to a thin ring.

Smell: I can smell that roasted coconut 3 feet away from me. Bringing my nose to the glass, I immediately pick up roasted coffee and dark chocolate notes. The coconut is slightly apparent, but adds sweetness to the already sweetened, dark malts.

Taste: Strong coffee and sweet malts, but there are some nutty and fruity tinges as well. The coconut is barely noticeable, but definitely enhances the sweetness. With mere slight bitterness, this is a very well balanced porter flavor.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and warm, and very sweet. There is significant thickness to this beer, and definitely noticeable carbonation on the palate. Quite an easy beer to drink, and ideal for a cold, misty day.

Overall: This is a fantastically balanced porter that should be tried to be believed! No idea how people in the always gorgeous climate of Hawaii could find the opportunity to drink something this warming, but as its the only state that grows coffee, I wouldn't be surprised if this is used often for breakfast. (1,278 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to make some homemade ice cream infused with some Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but my local grocery store didn't carry it. I didn't really feel like making another trip this particular day, so I decided to try the Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter instead. I got the 4 packer home and immediately pulled one off of the black plastic holder. The thing had a death grip on the beer and I had to really muscle it off. I guess that move shook the can too much because when I pulled the tap I lost a good 2 oz. of the beer from spew.

That brings me to the appearance. The foam was way up, obviously, but then disappeared to almost nothing very quickly. I don't know if that's because it exploded and thus ruined the carbonation, but I was shocked at how poorly it held the head.

Dispite the head the color of the beer is beautiful. It's a deep deep brown and when it holds to the light you almost see a marroonish color coming through. Only slightly foggy, this is a good looking porter, despite the disappointing head.

The smell is really nice. I smell coffee roast, very roasty. I'm also getting chocolates and some a little sweetness (from the Coconut?)

Lots of coffee roastedness in the taste. Good aftertaste that doesn't overpower, I also gets some hops up front, which I like. Hops in Porters and Stouts often get overpowered by the malts and I like that it's there.

That pre-beer shake up and subsequent blow up HAD to have hurt the carbonation because it's evident in the mouthfeel. I'll have to assume that there's supposed to be more carbonation in this. Decent mouthfeel, my first reaction is that it's a little thin. Maybe I'm just saying that because of the lack of carbonation. I'm also having to remember that I'm more accustomed to stouts which are thicker. Still, I can't help but want a little more.

Overall, it's a good beer. Not my fav but I think it will do the job. I'll definitely have to try it again. This time I'll let it sit for a few minutes if I happen to yank it violently from it's vice grip holder. (2,043 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13%

12oz can into tulip snifter.

The beer pours a very dark brown, near black with a frothy light brown head.

The aroma is of espresso and lightly roasted malts. Can't really pick up any coconut. Perhaps some light vanilla which may be the coconut?

The taste is again more espresso with really no coconut flavors that I can detect.

Has a good mouthfeel, medium body with active carb.

A decent porter, though I was hardly able to pick up any coconut which unfortunately makes this pretty overage overall. (504 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass.

A great uniform forming tan to cocoa like brown head easily four fingers settling down to three with a minor cap. Foaming bubles through the head, lava like in appearance HAH HAH did I just say that!! Volcano action! Great looking beer.

WOAH chocolate instant nestle quick here. Milkshake chocolate heaven and creamy smelling. Masks over typical porter roastyness which isn't showing on the nose. Ah wonderful.

Taste is no... texture first. Creamy rich, milky, in feel, with a nice mild coffee roast in the mid palate. Chocolate milk finish and creamy with a hint of super soft roastiness!

What a great porter, feels and smells so good. (685 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours black with a small tan head. Smells super roasty and chocolatey with the faintest coconut smell. Tastes the same. The sweet chocolate and coconut flavor are not quite cloying. Nicely carbonayed. Tastes like a coconut foodie roll. Moderate thickness that's slick and smooth. (279 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks Kyle2k10!

Blacker than expected. Decent light brown head with not a ton of lacing left behind. Can't really complain TOO much about this field.

You really have to search for the coconut. I must have tried some old cans because all I could smell was mild toasted coconut along with biscuit, almond/hazelnut, tobacco, and chocolate.

On the taste, more of the same from the aroma with some saving graces in balance. Smooth and woody, but tobacco is what I most sense. This is probably a great example of coconut in a beer when fresh, but it was just a slightly above average porter to me. It was dry and drinkable, but my main complaint is being called something it does not truly represent... again, that may have been because the cans were old.

Had that definite porter feel with the lighter body and higher carbonation, but it was almost too light at times. Watery mouthfeel. Not a repeat UNLESS I got it fresh (maybe even through a Randall with toasted coconut). That would probably be delicious. I love coconut, but this beer just didn't do it for me as much as I expected it would. It reminded me of Cigar City Maduro Brown, but more roasty and less quality. (1,172 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours with a nice brown tight head that doesn’t stick around for to long, in the aroma is roasted chocolate, hazelnut, coffee, and a slight coconut sweetness that to me comes off as more of an almond smell. Nice initial bitterness on the tongue followed by chocolate and hazelnut flavors. The malt sort of falls apart in the middle and the beer finishes light, making it a nice porter for a hot day, but I was hoping for a bigger mouth feel. (443 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

A- pours a deep brown with a dark tan head and little lace.

S- really nice porter smell: toasty and roasted with some malty notes. And of course the whole thing is accompanied by a strong coconut aroma.

T- the dark roasted malts gives thus beer a good dark chocolate taste, which pairs wonderfully with the coconut, almost like a mounds bar. The finish is smooth but bitter.

O- a really unique and tasty porter, I can never get enough coconut though. (453 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

Kudos for the can!

A: Pours an opaque, dark brown color with a small amount of tan head that dissipates. Carbonation levels look good. A bit of lacing as you drink. Was hoping for a bit more head, maybe I didn't pour aggresively enough.

S: Lots of roasted malts, some caramel, coconut, roasted wood, a bit of bitter hops, soy sauce and a bit of alcohol astringency. Smells deeply roasted with some sweetness. Very potent.

T: Taste follows the nose pretty well. Though I did notice a lot more coconut sweetness than the nose hinted at, it is still quite subtle. Lots of roast up front with a good balance of sweetness from the malts, some vanilla, dark chocolate and a bit of bitterness. Maybe some coffee notes in there, but mostly just the burnt/roasted malts. A bit astringent as the alcohol creeps in there.

M: I would say this is a borderline heavy bodied brew with good, thin carbonation and a ton of creaminess. The carbonation sizzles on the tongue but turns creamy on the swallow; maybe a tad thin for the style but it keeps it drinkable.

O: A very solid and flavorful American porter with a powerful roasted malt presence balanced nicely with some coconut sweetness and hop bitterness. Nothing complicated here, but this is top-notch quality. I would say that it's a bit astringent for my palate, and obviously a bit heavy for this time of year, but I will pick this up again without hesitation when the colder months roll around and give this one another go. Cheers! (1,481 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a tulip glass, sadly I can't read the date on the bottom, but based on the other cans in the store its either March or July of this year (I realize this is a big difference).

The appearance is very good, its a dark almost blackish color with a large creamy mocha head. The smell is mostly roasted malts, some coffee, a little caramel, a hint of a sweet fruit, probably the coconut, maybe even smoked coconut(??). The feel is medium still plenty of carbonation. The taste is of roasted malts, coffee, a little dark chocolate, some smokiness and a hint of sweetness perhaps from the coconut. There is some hoppy and roasted malt bitterness at the end. Overall this a pretty great porter (even if it was far different than expected) and this is one I'll be sure to get again. Good stuff. (814 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer was a very pleasant surprise.

Appearance: It pours an almost pitch black color with a beautiful caramel colored head, Left a nice lacing on the side of the glass as well as a 1/2" or so of head that stuck around for long time.

Smell: Classic porter notes; malt, caramel, coffee, vanilla, and then towards the end of the you get a nice bit of roasted coconut, a smell that seems to enhance the malty deliciousness that is present in this beer

Taste: Honestly I was quite taken back the taste, as a stand alone porter, this would be a good beer, but the smokey and sweet flavor the the roasted coconut brings out an amazing complexity of malt, hops, and of course the coconut.

Mouthfeel: only place this beer lacks, the flavor and look would make you think the mouthfeel was heavy, creamy, and typical of a porter. It is not, it is a bit thin, but not enough so that you lose anything from the overall experience.

Overall: This beer, is really a nice surprise. The mixture of the hops, and malt meld very very well with the flavors of the roasted coconut. I expected a mediocre beer with this one, but was very surprised to taste something quite impressive and familiar with just little bit of a twist that coconut adds. (1,234 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours with two fingers of tan creamy head. The body is very close to pitch black with no highlights... wow!

Smells like a full-flavored porter, with roasted malts and bitter hops showing up with depth. A touch of smoke and some dark caramel are also present.

Caramel and coconut chocolate are big flavors here, along with a nice dose of hop bitterness and some roasted barley flavors. A little accent of vanilla makes an appearance as well. There is a great balance to the flavors here, and a high level of complexity. Rich and tasty.

The mouthfeel isn't as thick or creamy as this looks, but it is still good. I enjoy the slightly lower level of carbonation and quality feeling aftertaste.

Conclusion: This is a tasty porter, and reminds me a bit of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, except this is flavor with coconut. Honestly I could go for more coconut flavors, but this is still pretty tasty! (922 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to Beertunes for this one.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Beer pours black, nearly devoid of all highlights with about 2 fingers worth of dense dark tan head. Very stout-esque

The aroma is big on chocolate, with hints of vanilla, and just a little roasty character. I had to really search to find a little bit of coconut in the nose.

Slightly bitter chocolate and roasted malts are featured, with bits of vanilla, coffee, coconut, and just the slightest bit of hop character. Really, the coconut seems like an afterthought, just enough to make the beer interesting but not enough to overpower the beer. Medium bodied and mildly carbonated. Slightly slick on the toungue and very easy to drink. The beer really opens up as it warms.

Overall, this is a great beer. Very well crafted, a great porter with or without the coconut. (850 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

A: pours out black with a nice brown head, that fell to leave a film across the beer.

S: lots of chocolate, roasted malt, and burnt sugars. a bit of toffee, and a touch of sweetness and roasted coconut.

T: it starts out with a bit of sweetness, and then finishes with a touch of bitterness and coffee. i get roasted malt and chocolate. some toffee, and just a touch of coconut. there coconut is very subtle.

M: medium thin, with a good amount of carb.

O: a good beer, that will be in the regular lineup. (511 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -7%

I would've been happy with just one can Brian! Enjoyed from an oversized tulip.

Pour is dark brown, very nearly black. There's a tight half-finger brown head that quickly fades. Tiny, soda-like bubbles cling to the glass and then wash down into the body of the beer.

My first impression of the aroma is that this is a very chocolate-forward beer. Milk and semisweet chocolate come through in near-equal proportions. There's a touch of coffee, some caramel, and a little vanilla, too. But alas, no coconut.

Surprisingly, there's not too much chocolate in the taste. There is, however, a lot of vanilla - not a cloying, artificial vanilla but a more natural, vanilla bean flavor. There's a little hazelnut aftertaste as well. A sweet beer that works well in a 12 oz. format - I don't think I could put down too much more of this.

Carbonation is on the high side. For a beer so rich and sweet, a smoother mouthfeel would be nice.

I don't know if I'd ever peg this for a coconut beer, but it is very pleasant. Simple and drinkable. (1,032 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -35.3%

In a Tulip glass poured out of the can, purchased at Spec’s.

Appearance: black bordering on a dark brown a la Moose Drool, dense-ish head, off white head bordering on beige

Aroma: very little in this department, vague hints of chocolate and a slight nuttiness to it but nothing overwhelming, didn’t really stand out at all

Taste: very earthy, no apparent coconut flavor at all. I have to admit that I really was skeptical about this beer being some sort of beer popsicle artificial coconut nightmare and that I would be disappointed but it turned out to be the opposite, I was disappointed not by the flavor but by the lack of it.

Mouthfeel: creamy bordering on the weak to watery side, nothing to write home about.

Overall: really un-impressed, I had heard a lot of hype about this beer but when push came to shove I was incredibly underwhelmed, honestly the only reason I would pick this up again is for the convenience of canned porter. (950 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

Canned 4 March 2011.

Pours very dark brown, essentially black, but brown at the edges. Nice dense dark tan head, okay retention, just a bit of lacing. Looks like a typical American porter.

Lots of roast in the smell, a bit burnt, and a woody smell that I think is coming from the coconut. Has a nice touch of sweetness lurking in the background, giving the smell some body. Good, but nothing special.

Tastes pretty good. Again, lots of dark roast, a touch of char. Quite malty, but bitter and dark due to the heavy roast. I don't pick up the coconut at all, except maybe a hint hiding back there with the sweetness. Finish is smooth, just gradually fading away with a good combination of rising sweetness and fading bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, carbonation a little higher than I expect for a porter, but it works just fine.

Good all across the board. Doesn't really stand out in any way, but it's very solid. One of the better porters I've had, but a step below the top ones in complexity, and lacking that special something. (1,042 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Not sure I've ever seen a beer with a body that looks this much like coca cola, aside from the two finger tan head that pops up and dies down soon after. Some lacing, but patchy.

S: Roasted coconut is, go figure, very prevalent. Along with that is nuts, toasted wheat, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Sweet toasted coconut is followed by a bitter roasted grain taste that dies off with a mixture of both. Definitely, unimistakably a coconut porter. I really love the taste of coconut in this but I'm not sure it has that much more going on, and the slightly bitter toasted grain touch at the end isn't too helpful to the enjoyment of this beer.

M: Mouthfeel is a little bit watery. I think given the coconut flavor, it could shoot for a creamier mouthfeel. Carbonation is prickly and soda-like, again, I think that probably works against the flavor profile more than it helps it.

O: This is undeniably a tasty, coconut porter. That being said, there's a reasonably long road to perfection for this. More complexity, work on the aftertaste, a creamier body, and I think you'd have an amazing coconut porter here. As it is though, while still preferable to the majority of porters I've tried and probably the best coconut taste of any year-round beer I've had, it's just a better-than-average porter with occassionally exceptional good flavor. (1,370 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

I dig this interesting twist. Dark cocoa color, a whiff of unsweetened chocolate in the aroma. First sip creates a distinct impression of . . . I'm not kidding . . Tootsie Roll. Mild milk chocolate, light brown sugar. It wasn't until half-way through the beer, and after it warmed a bit, that I was able to parse-out the coconut. At that point, my impression was a bit of Mounds candy bar. Bottom line - candy counter in a can. (427 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz. can poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Dark brown, almost black, body through which almost no light passes. Pours with a small tan off-white head that dissipates quickly. Whispy lacing.

Smell - Roasted malt up front with a great coconut aroma. Smells sweet from the coconut. Intriguing.

Taste - Perhaps a bit more like a regular porter than the intricacies of the aroma belied. Roasty and chocolatey for sure. The coconut really only comes through in the end, staving off a bitter finish with a slight sweetness. Nice, but not amazing.

Mouthfeel - Thin, as I would expect, but not what I like. Taste comes and goes quickly.

Overall - The taste is nowhere near as exciting as the aroma, but it does taste pretty good. Glad I had it. (743 characters)

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.