CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,845 | Reviews: 835

A: pours out black with a nice brown head, that fell to leave a film across the beer.

S: lots of chocolate, roasted malt, and burnt sugars. a bit of toffee, and a touch of sweetness and roasted coconut.

T: it starts out with a bit of sweetness, and then finishes with a touch of bitterness and coffee. i get roasted malt and chocolate. some toffee, and just a touch of coconut. there coconut is very subtle.

M: medium thin, with a good amount of carb.

O: a good beer, that will be in the regular lineup.

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

I would've been happy with just one can Brian! Enjoyed from an oversized tulip.

Pour is dark brown, very nearly black. There's a tight half-finger brown head that quickly fades. Tiny, soda-like bubbles cling to the glass and then wash down into the body of the beer.

My first impression of the aroma is that this is a very chocolate-forward beer. Milk and semisweet chocolate come through in near-equal proportions. There's a touch of coffee, some caramel, and a little vanilla, too. But alas, no coconut.

Surprisingly, there's not too much chocolate in the taste. There is, however, a lot of vanilla - not a cloying, artificial vanilla but a more natural, vanilla bean flavor. There's a little hazelnut aftertaste as well. A sweet beer that works well in a 12 oz. format - I don't think I could put down too much more of this.

Carbonation is on the high side. For a beer so rich and sweet, a smoother mouthfeel would be nice.

I don't know if I'd ever peg this for a coconut beer, but it is very pleasant. Simple and drinkable.

2.59/5  rDev -34.8%

In a Tulip glass poured out of the can, purchased at Spec’s.

Appearance: black bordering on a dark brown a la Moose Drool, dense-ish head, off white head bordering on beige

Aroma: very little in this department, vague hints of chocolate and a slight nuttiness to it but nothing overwhelming, didn’t really stand out at all

Taste: very earthy, no apparent coconut flavor at all. I have to admit that I really was skeptical about this beer being some sort of beer popsicle artificial coconut nightmare and that I would be disappointed but it turned out to be the opposite, I was disappointed not by the flavor but by the lack of it.

Mouthfeel: creamy bordering on the weak to watery side, nothing to write home about.

Overall: really un-impressed, I had heard a lot of hype about this beer but when push came to shove I was incredibly underwhelmed, honestly the only reason I would pick this up again is for the convenience of canned porter.

Canned 4 March 2011.

Pours very dark brown, essentially black, but brown at the edges. Nice dense dark tan head, okay retention, just a bit of lacing. Looks like a typical American porter.

Lots of roast in the smell, a bit burnt, and a woody smell that I think is coming from the coconut. Has a nice touch of sweetness lurking in the background, giving the smell some body. Good, but nothing special.

Tastes pretty good. Again, lots of dark roast, a touch of char. Quite malty, but bitter and dark due to the heavy roast. I don't pick up the coconut at all, except maybe a hint hiding back there with the sweetness. Finish is smooth, just gradually fading away with a good combination of rising sweetness and fading bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, carbonation a little higher than I expect for a porter, but it works just fine.

Good all across the board. Doesn't really stand out in any way, but it's very solid. One of the better porters I've had, but a step below the top ones in complexity, and lacking that special something.

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Not sure I've ever seen a beer with a body that looks this much like coca cola, aside from the two finger tan head that pops up and dies down soon after. Some lacing, but patchy.

S: Roasted coconut is, go figure, very prevalent. Along with that is nuts, toasted wheat, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Sweet toasted coconut is followed by a bitter roasted grain taste that dies off with a mixture of both. Definitely, unimistakably a coconut porter. I really love the taste of coconut in this but I'm not sure it has that much more going on, and the slightly bitter toasted grain touch at the end isn't too helpful to the enjoyment of this beer.

M: Mouthfeel is a little bit watery. I think given the coconut flavor, it could shoot for a creamier mouthfeel. Carbonation is prickly and soda-like, again, I think that probably works against the flavor profile more than it helps it.

O: This is undeniably a tasty, coconut porter. That being said, there's a reasonably long road to perfection for this. More complexity, work on the aftertaste, a creamier body, and I think you'd have an amazing coconut porter here. As it is though, while still preferable to the majority of porters I've tried and probably the best coconut taste of any year-round beer I've had, it's just a better-than-average porter with occassionally exceptional good flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

I dig this interesting twist. Dark cocoa color, a whiff of unsweetened chocolate in the aroma. First sip creates a distinct impression of . . . I'm not kidding . . Tootsie Roll. Mild milk chocolate, light brown sugar. It wasn't until half-way through the beer, and after it warmed a bit, that I was able to parse-out the coconut. At that point, my impression was a bit of Mounds candy bar. Bottom line - candy counter in a can.

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz. can poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Dark brown, almost black, body through which almost no light passes. Pours with a small tan off-white head that dissipates quickly. Whispy lacing.

Smell - Roasted malt up front with a great coconut aroma. Smells sweet from the coconut. Intriguing.

Taste - Perhaps a bit more like a regular porter than the intricacies of the aroma belied. Roasty and chocolatey for sure. The coconut really only comes through in the end, staving off a bitter finish with a slight sweetness. Nice, but not amazing.

Mouthfeel - Thin, as I would expect, but not what I like. Taste comes and goes quickly.

Overall - The taste is nowhere near as exciting as the aroma, but it does taste pretty good. Glad I had it.

3.59/5  rDev -9.6%

Can into pint glass
A – Very frothy 1 finger light brown head reduced to nothing as quickly as it built, no lacing, super thin crown edge on the nearly black brew 3
S – Sweet roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate and coconut dominate the nose, lesser coffee notes. Good smelling beer 4
T – Taste is nearly identical to the smell. Roasted malts and sweet vanilla and coconut with more coffee and less chocolate than the nose. Good but not to my liking as much as I had hoped 3.5
M – Lightness in body was a surprise to me, good drinkability, a bit thinner than I like for a porter, good carbonation 3.5
O – Coconut is present while not overbearing, an interesting and good porter that I am glad I tried. Not a beer I would ever buy again at the Denver $10/4 pack cans price. 3.5

Poured into my Surly pint glass. Ultra dark brown, almost black color. Poured a bit thick and viscous. Head is barely a finger and light brown and creamy in appearance.

Smell is sweet malts. Candy like aromas come from the coconut. There are also some vanilla and coffee hints. The coconut aroma is that of toasted coconut This is an amazing beer on the nose.

Taste is of lightly toasted coconut mixed with weak coffee and some vanilla. Pretty good tasting beer.

Mouth is what and American Porter should be. Deep and dark to the end. This one was a bit sweet for the style.

Overall I was really happy with this. Another brewery that is trying some off the wall things. Well commended!!! I truly enjoyed this and suggest you seek this out and tell the BA community what you think.

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Deep brown, almost black but not quite. Reminds me of a bad cup of coffee. Has a nice tan head that thins quickly. Minimal lacing.

S: Toasted oats, malts, coffee, and chocolate. I can't really smell any coconut.

T: Tastes like a typical porter. Thin bit toasty, and a little burnt (in a good way). I get a slight roasted essence followed by some nice sweetness. Not overly sweet, but almost a chocolate milk like flavor. Again, I'm not sure if I can pick up on the coconut. Perhaps coconut has a more subtle flavor that I'm just blatantly missing.

M: Thin but creamy (if that makes any sense). I will reiterate that it reminds me a bit of chocolate milk. It doesn't envelop the palate with sticky sweet notes.

D: An easy drinking beer. Nothing overpowering. Really solid. I like it, but I'd probably move on after a second glass.

O: I really like this beer, but I don't think it's anything really special. I'm glad to have tried it and would like to try it again in the future, but I'm not in a rush to seek it out.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a very dark brown color with a tan head with some lacing

Nose has roasted malt right off the bat, then some chocolate, then lastly the sweet coconut to round it out.

Tastes just like it smells malty, chocolaty, with some coconut characteristics to round it out. Tastes like a night on a Hawaiian beach.

Mouthfeel is like it should be. Medium body and pretty good carbonation.

Overall this beer is exactly what a "Hawaiian Porter" should be. Paradise in a can. Love this beer for what it is, a Coconut Porter.
I've had this beer more than once and thoroughly enjoy it every time I have it.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz can received from scotchboy. Canned on 3/1/11.

A: pours black with a full finger creme colored head that slowly fades. Nice lookin' porter.

S: Smells of deep roasted malts, vanilla, and coconut cream. Some nuttiness from the coconut shell I assume. Reminds me of some type of ice cream.

T: This tastes very nice even though I don't enjoy coconut. Coconut, vanilla, caramel, chocolate and roasted malts. Leaves a chocolate aftertaste with some slight hop bitterness once the coconut fades from your tongue.

M: The mouthfeel is top notch. This porter is very creamy allowing it to coat your mouth with the pleasant flavors. Good carbonation.

O: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, due to my aforementioned thoughts on coconut. This is as refreshing and Hawaiian as any porter could hope to be. I'm very glad I got to try this beer, since it gets mentioned all the time. Definitely worth a stab.

Can from Preey's Liquor in Livermore, CA

A - Poured a brown color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of roasted malt that gives off chocolate scents along with some coconut

T - Like the nose starts off roasty and chocolaty the coconut come out in the finish and tastes stronger than it smells

M - This beer has a thin body with medium carbonation to it

O - This is a pretty good beer generally I'm not into coconut but I liked what it added to the taste this one is worth picking up sometime if you see it around

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%

what a great beer. i have had the pleasure of trying this one soo many times. poured from a can to a pint glass

nice burnt amber color with a smooth and even head of off white that coats the sides of the glass and really offers up a nice and well rounded view.

aroma of caramel, coconut, vanilla, other sweet notes, lots of stuff going on here but maintainig its session drinkable factor the whole time. smooth and creamy with lots of caramel and hints of grain bouncing around all over, clean finish with just the right amount of flavor.

overall an outstanding beer i would love to try again

3.37/5  rDev -15.1%

Maui coconut porter 5 abv,

A: This beer has a low viscosity with small cola bubbles. There is a dr pepper color at the edges

S: It smells like a solid porter with the traditional chocolate and malt, however, this imparts strong smells like macaroons and caramel. It feels like a watery bakery, something like sugary sweetness whose succor has not been beat from the cane.

T: The taste is a light sweet roasted nut with mild coco malt. There is no middle, however, the one noteworthy taste is a praiseworthy coconut finish with fleeting dryness. Ultimately, it is disheartening to close the taste with a disappointing watery residual

M: Minimal coating is presented throughout with no exceptional stickiness. Not terribly filling and the transportation costs make this too expensive to be considered for a worthy session beer either.

D: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer, however, it’s greatest virtue serves as its greatest vice. It just isn’t interesting to mow through coconut after coconut. It’s like making out with an Almond Joy technician for an hour. The coconut is delicious but after a while you want to move on, you grow up, you stop eating Snoballs and you seek more from life.

Narrative: Day 157, the sand seems to have retreated to a more south eastern sedimentation, signaling the coming of the vernal equinox. I never thought that I would spend almost a half year on this god forsaken island but here I am, carving my exploits into another coconut tree using coconut shards to commemorate this day. Milk in milk out. It seems coconuts are the only vexing produce available and I long for variety. A crate washed up on shore and I prayed for provisions or a flare gun, lamentably, only a driftwood case of Coppertone presented itself. The smell was too much to bear. I fear that I am going mad sustaining only on a diet of coconuts. There is a pun available somewhere but my rancid coconut breath can hardly utter such trifles. I long to hold my beloved and drink a pina colada with her as soon as I escape; someday.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

A-dark brown, near black, with a nice tan head

S-creamy iced latte with just a hint of coconut. medium strength

T-comes in with a thick taste of ground coffee. it slowly transitions to a long lasting after-taste of ground coffee with a hint of chocolate coconut. very simple

M-thick, soft carbonation with a dry finish

O-definitely tasty but i don't find any uniqueness to it. i was hoping to find more coconut in this. this is just average.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hmmm...interesting brew to say the least. This beer's motto should be: BE PATIENT...IT GET'S BETTER

Poured a black/dark brouwn in my pint glass...decent head initially, but fades quickly...very little lacing left behind.

Slight hint of coconut; not what I was expecting...mainly burnt,sweet malt...what the heck?

What the? First sip was like sucking on an aspirin...quite tinny. Luckily, the brew did get a bit better as it warmed. Coconut and a little sweet malt did come out a bit more...thank God. Still, the initial blast of tin may have soured this for me.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but this certainly did not come off as an excellent brew by any means. Thankfully it's one of those beers that gets better as it warms, so be patient. The scent and taste certainly did improve as it sat in my pint glass.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a Port Brewing pint glass. Really like the explanation of why the brewery uses cans over bottles. Hopefully we will see more craft in cans in the future...

A - Pours a deep brown with three finger frothy tan head on a fairly aggressive pour. In hindsight I probably should have poured a little more passive. Head retention is decent at best and there is a little slippery lacing to be had...

S - Dont pick up any coconut in the scent. Black patent, coffee, and lots of roast...

T - Starts with chocolate and a little vanilla. Toasted coconut comes through in the finish with lots of roast. I probably wouldn't even have detected the coconut if I hadn't brewed with it before. Very subdued...

M - On the thin side of being medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. A little light for the style...

O - Pretty run-of-the-mill Porter. Bumped up the overall score because I liked the can, but definitely not something that is going to be in my rotation...

Cheers...

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip. Big thanks to my buddy Chris for bringing this back from the Mountain Brewers Festival.

A: Pours a deep deep brown - almost black. Aggressive, center pour leads to a beautiful mocha 2 finger had that disappears relatively quickly leaving a thin ring along the top. Lacing is spotty and ind inconsistent. This is a beautiful looking beer.

S: Toasted malts and barley, chocolate and coffee are the highlights of this brew. I'll take the brewer's word for it that there is coconut in here cuz the other notes are just really in your face - in a good way.

T: Following the nose almost to the T - with the coffee and chocolate taking center stage with the toasted malts following closely behind. I was able to pick up faint coconut on the tongue which was welcome. Hops add to the bitterness of the brew towards the end of the swallow.

M: Thick and chewy, crisp and refreshing. Plenty of carbonation. Sticky coating leaves a wonderfully bitter aftertaste.

O: This is a really delicious beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it and I'll be looking for more of this as well as the Imperial. Both really wonderful brews.

4.01/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a can into a pint glass

A- pours jet black with a puffy, two finger tan head. Head sticks around for awhile. Solid

S- roasted malts and hints of coconut. Aroma is a little weak

T- getting a lot of roast, and the finish is sweet coconut...the coconut isn't too sweet though. Nice flavor, not nearly as overwhelming as I thought it would be

M- the body on this one is good. Maybe a tad bit watery, but it's fine

O- not what I expected, but I'm pleasantly surprised. The fact that it's in a can gives it even more bonus points

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Special thanks to cullumbeer for bringing me one of these back from Hawaii.

I split a can with my wife.

A: Poured a dark, dark brown... about the color of a burnt sierra crayon, with a whopping 1-2 finger mocha head that retained itself throughout the session.

S: No coconut detected. Actually, I got more roasted malts than anything, with a tinge of dark chocolate.

T: Metallic.... I mean really. I could actually taste the can. It improved substantially as it warmed, but still, for a beer called "Coconut Porter," I didn't feel like it lived up to its title.

M: Moderately thick, with plenty of carbonation for the style and moderate lacing. Bitter finish.

O: I was a bit let down by this one considering the fact that I know people who swear by this brew. However, I'd love to try it on tap sometime.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

A: Don't take my word on this as written in stone - my light bulb burned out just before popping this sucker. Appears to be very dark brown without any light penetration. Two finger tan head quickly dissolves into a half-finger and there it stays.

S: Nose is delicious, like sweet milk chocolate and toasted barley.

T: Very nice malt landscape with this one. If it wasn't called the CoCoNut Porter, I'd have never guessed there was coconut in it. This isn't a bad thing, and I won't dock points for it. It's got a bit of bitterness both derived from hop and some roasted grain. Chocolate flavors are the real showcase of this beer. Very tasty!

M: I'm not sure if it's from the coconut or not, but this has a fairly creamy body that's very evident right before the bitter finish sweeps it away.

O: If this were available in my state, I'd drink on it with decent regularity. Since it isn't, I look forward to my next opportunity to drink it again.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a very dark brown....wouldn't call it black, and has reddish hues right around the edges. This has a mocha latte colored head that is rich and dense, a couple of fingers thick, and settles to a fine film over the brew. The lacing is modest at best, and it's hard to tell how carbonated the beer is, but I can see some small columns rising up.

S- I smell robust, toasted coffee beans and dark unsweetened baker's chocolate for the most part. There is a hint of sweetness that I don't smell in other porters....I'm guessing it's the coconut but I don't really smell the nut in particular. Mild bitterness on the finish, but mainly earthy dryness.

T- This is a very robust, very creamy porter, that's for sure. Again, dominant flavors of cocoa and some coffee bean, along with toasted malt, burnt brown sugar and some vanilla bean. The coconut flavor is slightly more noticeable but it is very modest, providing just a hint of milky lactose-like sweetness. The finish is a balancing act of bitter and dry....just enough to keep the glass close by for another drink soon after.

M- Super creamy, and such a well balanced flavor profile, this medium-full bodied porter is rich and exotic. Really gets me in the mood to lounge around and sip on this, while letting the afternoon sun pass me by.

O- A very well crafted brew overall! Slightly sweet, almost Guinness like, but more tropical. This is an excellent all weather dark beer, and would be great with a steak dinner or even as a desert brew. As it warms, the robustness gets even deeper and the buttery texture gets even smoother. When I go to Maui in a few months, this could very well be a go to brew for me!

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

Big thanks to Matty D. Martin for the share. Out of a 4-pack, two seemed borderline infected, and two are pretty good. This review is for a good can. The brew pours a coffee-brown hue, visibly thinner, and is capped with a tan froth that recedes quickly. The nose offers some roastiness and some small coffee hints. I don't get coconut aromatically. The flavor actually reveals a bit coconut, just a hint. It is not very sweet, more of a straight-up porter, offering notes of roast, coffee grounds, and herbal hoppiness. As it airs out, the coconut is more pronounced. The feel is relatively thin. Overall, pretty nice, but not outstanding; I wish this beer was good as it theoretically sounds.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep cola color with a small light brown head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. Head fades too fast.

Smells is of some mocha like roasted malts.

Tastes of chocolaty malts rounded out by coconut. Roasted malts hit up front and give off some sweet chocolate along with mild coffee notes. Coconut makes an appearance on the end and adds depth to make this very tasty. A good combination of flavors that are not overdone.

Mouthfeel is medium, but carbonation is a little flat. I can get some creaminess, but I expect more.

Overall, I was fairly surprised by this given some of the other Maui brews and a large amount competition from other American porters.

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.