CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007)

ThisMoonlife, Oct 04, 2013

UncleAddie, Sep 02, 2013

Johnny_V, Sep 02, 2013

mmiller113, Sep 01, 2013
3.29/5  rDev -16.7%

Dark chocolaty color, very foamy light brown head. Smell is traditional porter, a bit of espresso and coconut in it. Flavor starts a bit sour, but mellows a bit in the back of the mouth. I only pick up a hint of coconut, wish it was a bit stronger. Mouthfeel seems a bit bright for a porter, very carbonated. A good porter overall.

Jmitchell3, Sep 01, 2013

nloyless, Sep 01, 2013

I got a can of Maui Brewing Company's CoCoNut Porter that my friend brought back from his trip to Washington, thanks Ben. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while, i have had a couple coconut beers but I have yet to be impressed, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I like the design and it has some nice information on the can, it's not too eye catching, but I think it looks good. It poured a very dark brown color that only let a slight bit of light through with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy medium tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice sticky lacing behind. This is a good looking Porter, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart some dark roasted malt aromas with a big chocolate aroma that reminded me of cocoa powder followed by a creamy and vanilla like aroma. On the end there's a lighter amount of coconut that has more of coconut milk aroma. This beer has a pretty good aroma, I really like the chocolate like malt aromas, but I wish the coconut stuck out a little more. .

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart some dark and roasted malt flavors with chocolate still sticking out the most imparting a real nice cocoa like flavor. Up next comes a nice creamy vanilla flavor followed by a lighter amount of coconut that barely shows up enough and works well with the Porter base. On the finish there's a medium amount of light bitterness followed a roasty and slightly coconut like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Porter, I wish the Coconut stuck out a little more but that's my only complaint.

M- Very smooth, clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty good, but I think it would be perfect if it was a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of the style, it's not a traditional American Porter, but the coconut shows up just enough to compliment the Porter base and not overpower it, it's an American Porter first and a Coconut beer second. This beer had great drinkability, if I was in the mood for a Porter I could see myself drinking few of these, it was smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a nice job at holding my attention. What I liked the most about this beer was the Porter base, it was a very well done Porter with lots of great roasted and chocolate like flavors. What I liked the least about this beer was the lighter coconut flavor, I think the Porter base was strong enough to hold up more Coconut flavors without being overpowered by them, but it didn't hurt this beer as much as I expected. If this beer was available to me I would for sure buy It, I would like to try a can that I know is fresh to see if the coconut is a little more pronounced and I would recommend this to anyone who likes American Porters, even if you aren't the biggest fan of Coconut I think you could still find this beer enjoyable. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it may have not been as coconut forward as I expected but the Porter base was awesome and I'm not sure how more coconut would affect this beer, I have had a couple coconut beers that tasted like Malibu Rum and Sun tan lotion and I wouldn't want that to happen to this beer. This was my first beer from Maui Brewing Company and it made for a good first impression, Maui isn't available in Michigan, but I would for sure like to try more of their beers, nice work guys, Thanks a lot Ben for giving my a chance to try this beer

StoutHunter, Aug 31, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

deonreds, Aug 31, 2013
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.