CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

rAvg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 829 | Hads: 1,865
4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I dont get why it says this beer is retired. I just bought a 4-pack at Foodland in Kapolei, Oahu, this morning. The canning date on the bottom says '121913' so its relatively newish. Anyways, just poured into a whiskey glass from my hotel room.

A - pours a black-brown with a thin head that dissipates rather rapidly. Held up to artificial light and does not shine through. Solid darkness.

S - coconuts, rum, deep maltiness, sugarcane. Coconuts are the dominant smell. This beer smells so awesome.

T - as smell influences taste, the above mentioned notes dominated the palate. This is real coconut to me. I let it warm to room temperature (which is about 75 degrees here in Kapolei at 8pm) and the flavors are really enhanced. In addition to the dominant Coconuttiness, toffee, coffee, and dark chocolate notes emerge.

M - light carbonation, which is good for the style. It is also very refreshing and feels lighter than many other porters, which goes hand in hand with the environment here.

O - a beautifully well done beer. I am glad i was able to get my hands on it. I havent seen thison the mainland in a couple of years and had only tried it once before at that. The coconut shines and adds a wonderful element to this beer. Highly rec if you can get it! I will be buying a few more packs to bring home to SF. (1,323 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

A - completely black, very thin tan head

S - strong roasted and chocolate, subtle sweet coconut notes

T - big roasted coconut and malty sweetness upfront, followed by chocolate and a faint hoppy bitterness at the end

M - medium-light in body

O - the nuttiness of the roasted coconut played well with the chocolate flavor. I think its a creative beer that everyone should try. (379 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

General - This was a 4 pack of cans that I managed to get from a small beer store around my area. The can idea has always been a turn off for me but it completely makes sense. I poured the beer into a New Belgium Tulip glass.

Appearance - Black as night with a tannish head on it. The head doesn't last too long and there wasn't really any lacing to speak of.

Aroma - You can tell that there is coconut in this beer, it is the pronounced aroma with a heavy malty sweetness.

Taste - Just the like aroma indicates, big coconut hit in the cace with a very heavy maltiness. It almost seems like there is a thick syrup flavor to it with a molasses or something. It's really sweet, a little too sweet for me but it's still a good porter.

Mouthfeel - Really good mouthfeel on this, it is almost creamy because of the malt content. I enjoyed it. There wasn't a lot of carbonation but enough for the style.

Overall - Good specialty porter, it's not something that I would want to drink every day but it's something that is enjoyable every once in a while. For people who like lighter microbrews this could be a nice introduction into the heavier styles. (1,153 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz. can, poured into a beer tulip. Plenty of head, good dark color. Excellent strong, malty aroma with hints of toasted coconut.

Initial taste is crisp, with a good, lingering bite. Tastes of toasted malt, coffee and vanilla. After a second or so, the malt gives way to a very subtle and light hoppiness, and some very faint coconut comes through. The flavor does not linger as long as one might hope.

Overall, a very solid porter. There is room for improvement, but I would recommend it. (494 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into City Beer Store tulip. Appearance is dark black , tannish minimal head, that diminished to nothing..smell is chocolate malt, coconut, and a little woodsy effervessence as well. Taste is smooth, starts out with semi-sweet cocolate, and finished with a subtle coconut flavor, and roasted malts definately apparent. Mouthfeel is medium/full bodied with bitey carbonation for a Porter..a good summer porter for sure..overall, good, not amazing, however very solid. (481 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a black color. 1/2 inch head of a brown color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of coconut, sweet malt, hint of roasted malt, hint of yeast, and a hint of hop. Fits the style an American Porter. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of coconut, sweet malt, roasted malt, hint of hop, and a hint of wheat. Overall, good appearance, aroma, blend, and mouth feel. The metallic flavor, hopefully from wheat, was slightly off-putting. (479 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Dark brown to the point of being black with a two fingers worth of tan froth.

Aroma: Rich dark malts.

Taste: Starts with creamy dark malt that gives some bittersweet chocolate and day-old black coffee to the flavor. Hard to detect the toasted coconut but a well rounded flavor none-the-less. The finish is the highlight with a toffee and cream flavor leading to an aftertaste of long lingering coffee bitterness. About where it should be in terms of robustness for 6% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with average carbonation and good drinkability.

Final Thoughts: While I admit myself a bit let down that Maui Brewing Coconut Porter didn't deliver on the 'coconut' part of its name, I am happy to say it did a great job on the 'porter' part. A good example of the American take on the style with big robustness for a moderate ABV. Would I drink it again? Sure. (875 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -1%

A - A deep, rich black with circles of brown and crimson at the top and bottom respectively.

S - Peaty and earthy notes building on a strong malted base. Hints of coffee and liquorice. Coconut comes through beautifully fresh from the can.

T - Following, the nose; smoked malts, peat and prunes initially, followed by a little bitterness to the finish. Really pleasant but I'm left searching for additional flavours to flesh out the drinking between first taste and aftertaste. On the plus side this lightens the beer, making it more sessionable.

M - Creamy and satisfyingly weighty. Nicely balanced carbonation. Delicate.

O - Had heard good things and it pretty much lived up to expectations. The only real negative is that I'm left wanting heavier coconut in the flavor profile (-.25). I'd be very surprised if someone picked out that it was brewed with toasted coconut without smelling it first. Despite this it's a very nice wee beer and I look forward to having it on tap next week :) (995 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Dark chocolaty color, very foamy light brown head. Smell is traditional porter, a bit of espresso and coconut in it. Flavor starts a bit sour, but mellows a bit in the back of the mouth. I only pick up a hint of coconut, wish it was a bit stronger. Mouthfeel seems a bit bright for a porter, very carbonated. A good porter overall. (331 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

I got a can of Maui Brewing Company's CoCoNut Porter that my friend brought back from his trip to Washington, thanks Ben. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while, i have had a couple coconut beers but I have yet to be impressed, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I like the design and it has some nice information on the can, it's not too eye catching, but I think it looks good. It poured a very dark brown color that only let a slight bit of light through with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy medium tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice sticky lacing behind. This is a good looking Porter, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart some dark roasted malt aromas with a big chocolate aroma that reminded me of cocoa powder followed by a creamy and vanilla like aroma. On the end there's a lighter amount of coconut that has more of coconut milk aroma. This beer has a pretty good aroma, I really like the chocolate like malt aromas, but I wish the coconut stuck out a little more. .

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart some dark and roasted malt flavors with chocolate still sticking out the most imparting a real nice cocoa like flavor. Up next comes a nice creamy vanilla flavor followed by a lighter amount of coconut that barely shows up enough and works well with the Porter base. On the finish there's a medium amount of light bitterness followed a roasty and slightly coconut like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Porter, I wish the Coconut stuck out a little more but that's my only complaint.

M- Very smooth, clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty good, but I think it would be perfect if it was a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of the style, it's not a traditional American Porter, but the coconut shows up just enough to compliment the Porter base and not overpower it, it's an American Porter first and a Coconut beer second. This beer had great drinkability, if I was in the mood for a Porter I could see myself drinking few of these, it was smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a nice job at holding my attention. What I liked the most about this beer was the Porter base, it was a very well done Porter with lots of great roasted and chocolate like flavors. What I liked the least about this beer was the lighter coconut flavor, I think the Porter base was strong enough to hold up more Coconut flavors without being overpowered by them, but it didn't hurt this beer as much as I expected. If this beer was available to me I would for sure buy It, I would like to try a can that I know is fresh to see if the coconut is a little more pronounced and I would recommend this to anyone who likes American Porters, even if you aren't the biggest fan of Coconut I think you could still find this beer enjoyable. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it may have not been as coconut forward as I expected but the Porter base was awesome and I'm not sure how more coconut would affect this beer, I have had a couple coconut beers that tasted like Malibu Rum and Sun tan lotion and I wouldn't want that to happen to this beer. This was my first beer from Maui Brewing Company and it made for a good first impression, Maui isn't available in Michigan, but I would for sure like to try more of their beers, nice work guys, Thanks a lot Ben for giving my a chance to try this beer (3,802 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a dark brown with a full head. Carbonation has larger bubbles. Head retention is good. Chunks of lacing on the glass.

S: Roasted malts, vanilla, maybe a hint of coconut.

T: Sweet from front to back - vanilla and a sweetened coconut flavor. Not too sweet. Really nice. Nice balance with the roasted malts.

M: Full, nice.

O: Great brew. (347 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

From notes. Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Like most porters, CoCoNut PorTeR pours a molasses brown color that is nearly black in the center of the pint glass with a caramel brown edge. A modest creamy tan head forms on the initial pour and leaves thin levels of lace down the sides of the glass.

This can has a little bit of time on it, so it is not as coconut-forward as a I remember. The aroma is moderately full, with milk chocolate, toasted coconut, and fully roasted malt that is just a touch burnt.

The age is most noticeable in the reduction of coconut flavor. There is a slightly dry milk chocolate flavor, with roasted malt notes, some toasted coconut, and a bit of vanilla.

There is a mouthfeel that I wish was a bit fuller and creamier. As it is, the carbonation is less creamy and more crisp than I like in my porters, with a medium body. There is a lightly oily, nutty nature to the mouthfeel, which definitely makes sense, given the ingredients.

Overall this is a great porter than can be consumed in quantity. There are not too many brewers making easily drinkable beers with coconut right now, so this is always a treat to have. I should review this, with a higher score, when I have another can fresh. (1,238 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: It has a nice deep brown (almost black) color to it. It has a nice beige head that dies down moderately and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of dark roasted malts, coffee, some chocolate and a touch of coconut.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has alot of sweet roasted malts, some coffee/chocolate notes and some coconut. (Was hoping for more coconut)

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas. Solid Porter. (579 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

Deep deep chesnut color with what appears to be good clarity but cant really make it out. about a half finger of tan head settles out. Smells of asphault, dark chocolate and dark roasted coffee.

Medium bodied but lively carbonation breaks up the body making it feel a bit thinner. Burnt malts on the tip of the tongue along with dark chocolate flavors with a bit of licorice and anise. A little astringent on the back end and overall a lot of roasted flavors. Coconut comes through almost barely and in the form of a "burnt" coconut taste. really have to look for it which might be a good thing since i hated kona's coco brown. Goes down nice and easy though for such having so many robust and roasty flavors. A little messy at parts with the coconut flavor adding close to nothing but as a porter not bad. A little pricey but that might have to due with how far it had to travel to get to me. (894 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from memory - on tap at World of Beer in Arlington, VA

Pours asphalt black with limited, but iridescent lacing.

Tropical and floral aromatics.

Taste of sweet, tropical fruits. A porter/ dark beer that can be enjoyed during the hot days of summer. Coconut is present, but not overpowering.

The beer has a smooth, creamy opening and sweet, bitter finish.

Tired of having IPAs and belgium whites all summer? Try this refreshingly excellent coconut porter that is sessionable even during those hot muggy dog days of summer. (534 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The name itself warrants curiosity, and being a fan of coconut and the occaisional porter, I figured why not?Poured ino a snifter, it borders on brown/black, completely opaque, and pours a half finger of a tan supple head,lacing is average for a porter.

Aroma is toasty, roasty and coffee-like, with deep roasted malts and the toasted coconut sweetness playing a subtle part in the nose, and this becomes more apparent upon warming.

Taste is smooth and very rich with a pleasant roasted quality, and just a hint of the toasted coconut flavor for a semi sweet finish to round things out nicely.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, rich and creamy texture,superb carbonation to move the flavors along.

As long as you aren't expecting to drink a Mounds Bar, and enjoy porters, Maui Brewing Coconut porter is a well crafted and delicious concoction that has the ability to satisfy on a number of levels, and is a really nice way to end the day. (938 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Source/Serving: 12oz can

S: Burnt bread crust, wet moss, toasted almonds, grill residue. Hints of toasted coconut, spruce, decaying leaves.

T: Slightly sweet, faintly tart up front that hits with a smooth rich toasty, caramel roastiness. In the perfect roast range between toffee and coffee/chocolate, which gives the roastiness some depth and richness. Creamy, oily and smooth. Coconut hits in the middle, clean and toasty, along with light coffee and a nice nuttiness. Little to no harshness from the roastiness or bitterness, but its well balanced and only slightly sweet. Acidity is faint. Faintly mossy hops. Moderately high body. Finish really shows off the coconut and nuttiness, with a lingering toasted bread and smooth chocolate note.

Notes: A well-organized brew (776 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -37.3%

Interesting gimmick, but it goes a little overkill with the flavor… kind of like a hot sauce that gets its "reputation" from merely burning your tongue off. Would love to try it in draft form to see if perhaps it was just a bad batch (as it seems to be well regarded by everyone else on here), but I was wholly unimpressed with the canned variation. Love Maui Brewing Company's other beer though so I wouldn't talk anybody out of experimenting. (446 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

pours dark, barely passes the light thru the glass test - none got thru :). head dies quickly to a circle around the rim. faint lacing. aroma is hard to pin down for me, i think the coconut is throwing me off. for some reason i find it reminding me of firestone's velvet merlin, but with a (thankfully) faint hint of coconut. mouthfeel is a bit thin for my tastes, but i tend to like stouts a bit on the thick side. i'm glad i tried it, though i don't think i'll chase it down again. points for justifying their use of a can, rather than bottle, for several reasons (listed on can). an interesting brew to try, if only because it's different. (642 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz can vigorously poured into a pint glass.

A- Poured a dark brown - almost black - color. Opaque with no highlights. A mocha-tan colored head, 1-finger, stays fluffy for a few minutes before fading to an oil slick. Not much lacing. I've drained a differential or two in my time that were long overdue for a fluid change and what poured out looked kinda like this brew. That is meant as praise.

S- Rich roasted dark malts show a powerful presence. There's some chocolate sweetness and some coffee. I don't pick up any hop smells, the darks are too prominent.

T-There's some coconut flavor on the back end. But this adds up to a coffee/chocolate porter for me. It's quite flavorful, nonetheless.

M- A bit thin and fizzy, but for a porter, that's ok. It does look like it would have more body.
Some hop bite gives way to a creamy smooth finish that's loaded with the malt/coffee/chocolate flavors.

O- I like that there is subtle coconut flavor here, rather than overkill. It's a flavorful and drinkable dark beer. (1,018 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a dark brown with a very fizzy light brown head. Head fades away at a moderate pace. Decent little chunks of lacing. Good head retention.

S: Sharp roasted malt, lots of char mainly. Trying to discern some coconut but can barely find it, may be the power of suggestion at this point. Sweet and creamy though, decent chocolate I think.

T: There's the coconut. Has sort of a toasted coconut going along with some char and a bunch of chocolate. Finish is a dry cocoa, a little coconut and some creaminess. Quite dry between sips. Very dry, almost tingling. Maybe some hoppiness that I can't quite place?

M: Light, smooth, creamy. Somewhat high carbonation.

O: Not a bad porter. Coconut adds a welcome level of complexity. Smooth and creamy without being too heavy. Easy drinking. (789 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Very much like pouring a can of root beer: Clear, dark brown fluid, a solid finger of light-brown foam that fades a little quicker than I'd like, with almost no lacing on the walls of my mug.

S: Roasted malts front and center. Then the hops, citrus and piney. There's a little bit of coffee here, as well. As for coconut... maybe, but it's so faint that it could be my imagination because I'm searching for it.

T: Not what I expected, but quite good! Malts are toasty and slightly acrid, not sweet at all. Next comes a tangy mix of citrus and resin, surely from the hops. Then it backs off for a moment and I get just the hint of coconut before bitter and tangy hops show up again; the bitterness is the taste that really lingers, but not in a bad way.

M: Crisp, slightly chewy, and heavy on the carbonation (don't swallow more than a couple of gulps quickly or the burp from the first will be coming up as you're swallowing more!) There's a little dryness at the end, a little more than your average porter, but it just serves to make you want to take the next sip.

O: Not quite what I was expecting (I thought more coconut, less hops), but tasty nonetheless. More hops than your typical porter, but it works. Not an every-day beer for me, but one I'll definitely have again. I'm thinking this would pair perfectly with a steak! (1,336 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours nice and dark out of the can, black ringed with flashes of deep brown and a rocky, one finger, sand colored head. Porters always have a nice color to them though.

Aroma is pretty pedestrian, roasted malts and coffee beans, little bit of vanilla, none of that toasted coconut yet.

Roasted flavors off the bat with some raw cocoa and a dull coffee bitterness which then gets smoothed out by warm toasted coconut. The flavor on the back end grows as the beer warms.

Low carbonation and a medium body, smoothness comes more from the coconut flavor rather than the liquid not much mouth coating here.

Drinkable brew but it soon becomes apparent that after 2 or 3 the game becomes how much coconut flavor can I get out the can before it becomes one dimensional. First beer I've tasted from Maui Brewing, the canned concept and beer are both winners. (853 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It's not a secret that I hate coconut. However, I have had several coconut beers that I like. This, sadly, was not one of them.

Solid black pour with a small tannish head that mostly dissipated, leaving a few stray bubbles on top. Aroma of sweet chocolate, roasty malts, not a whole lot of coconut. Taste came off a bit like a Mounds bar, but I found it much too sweet, intense and cloying with sugary sweetness, like coconut candy (I'm assuming there is such a thing). It wasn't entirely bad overall, but just too much for me to handle. It's supposed to be beer, not a malty mixed drink. Body was medium. This one might be for some, but not for me. (650 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz can into a pint glass
no born or best before date

A: Pours an opaque black with 2 plus fingers width of bubbly, light mocha colored head. Decent retention, but leaves only a small amount of lacing.

S: Toasted coconut is there, which is real nice, but there is also an acrid almost sour note that is bizarre and pretty prominent. Some roasted malt is there as well. I also get a dry, somewhat musty aroma like brown cardboard. Really a pretty strange aroma, but for some reason I kind of like it.

T: Again a bit odd. Initial taste is reminiscent of what I think licking a cardboard box would taste like. Once I get past that, some traditional porter flavors come out like roasted malt and rich dark chocolate. Toasty coconut is there, as well, although not as prominent as I hoped. Different, but again, I find myself drawn to the strange conglomerate of flavors.

M/D: Smooth, appropriately low carbonation, thicker than I anticipated for the style. Moderate drinkability. Really nice mouthfeel for a standard porter.

O: Overall, kind of a strange brew. Didnt think much of it at first, but it really grew on me as I slowly drank it. I would drink this again, but wouldnt go out of my way to obtain it. (1,215 characters)

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.