CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007)

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: 1/4" tan head over black liquid.

S: roasted malts, clean yeast and coconut.

T: Roasted malt, caramel, coffee, chocolate and coconut in the finish

M: thin viscosity and a moderate level of large carbonation

O:. Very tasty and drinkable. Seems sessionable.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

4.36/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this 12oz can out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark black with a thick dark brown 2-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace and no trail down the glass.

S: Toasted malt aroma with a coconut, coffee, and alcohol background.

T: Smooth and sweet toasted malts and coconut flavor balanced by some bitter, hoppy, coffee scents and finishes slightly dry.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a smooth easy to drink porter with an interesting toasted coconut flavor. Absolutely worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served from a 12oz can into a Smuttynose pint.

Appearance- Black with a finger of mocha head that lasted about 30 seconds. Moderate lacing remains.

Smell- Roasty coffee, light toasted coconut, sweet chocolate malts, mild hop presence, cinnamon?

Taste- Roasty malts, light hops, light coconut, finishes with coffee. I want a little more coconut.

Mouthfeel- Lighter in body with ample carbonation. Probably a great beer to drink on the beach at sundown.

Overall- I like this beer a lot. Great porter with good flavor and body.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a dark brown. Head is decently dark as well. Head bubbles down to a few foamy islands here and there.

S-Traditional Porter notes. Chocolate and coffee…not picking up much coconut sadly. I really wanted this beer to just wreak of coconut.

T-Again, mostly straight Porter. I do pick up some coconut but not nearly as much as I wanted. I also get a slight metallic twang too unfortunately. Its actually pretty good but if I tried this blind I know I wouldn't label this a coconut Porter.

M-Medium bodied. Lightly bitter. Drinkable with a good overall feel and bubbles that tickle.

O/D-Its still a solid beer but I would label this a big disappointment. I have always wanted to try this because I thought I would be getting some huge coconut notes. I leave this beer slightly unhappy. A good Porter, nothing more.

3.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a dark, dark brown - almost black. Aggressively poured a 3 finger fluffy tan colored head that hangs around in the glass for an eternity. Leaves an awesome lacing on the glass.

S: Wofts strong roasted malts and tons of dark chocolate. Also getting smells of black coffee.

T: The taste is really good, but I really don't get much coconut. I get chocolate and roasted malt, which is really good. I also taste a good deal of coffee. Finishes with a little bit of bitterness.

M: The body of this isn't great. I had to stop and remind myself that this IS just a porter, so it isnt supposed to be super full, but that's what I was expecting for the look. That being said, it's still a little light for my liking of a porter. The carbonation is good though.

O: Overall, an above-average beer, and I am glad I got to try it. If I wasn't expecting coconut I would've actually rated it higher, but I felt a little dooped by that expectation. Really good tasting, but I got very little coconut.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Rutager for this one.

Poured from a 12oz. can, canned 090312.

Appearance: A very dark brown body with a creamy, milky head the color of a darker tan. Some lacing but would have liked a bit more.

Smell: Sweet roasted aroma, coconut is pretty front & center with a good whiff of cocoa as well.

Taste: Creamy coffee at first then shredded coconut and creamy cocoa pile on.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation a tad high but it's followed by a silky creaminess that's quite nice.

Overall: A real good flavored porter. Love coconut and this one showcases that very well.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A-Black in the glass, two finger light tan head, clear deep amber when pouring.

S-Lots of roasted malt, good deal of chocolate, rounded out with a tad bit of coffee.

T-Starts with roasted malt and chocolate along with what I assume is coconut. Not bitterness, rather sweet, but balance ins't perfect.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation and smooth.

O-A solid beer, glad to have received it as an extra.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Taken from notes.

Appearance: Pours a dark mahogany brew with beautiful brown highlights, small mocha head and some lacing.

Smell: The nose is intense with chocolate up front and coffee and caramel at the back. The chocolate kind of overwhelms everything.

Taste: Intense flavor of chocolate, burnt caramel and some very faint coconut.

Palate: Medium low carbonation. Low bitterness. Medium full body. Smooth finish. Faint lingering cherry chocolate candy flavor.

Overall: Kinda gimmicky. Not enough depth on the nose or tongue but it's a decent brew as a whole nonetheless.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.