CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

rAvg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 833 | Hads: 1,885
4.07/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a can into a snifter glass.

A: A dark brown almost black that does let some light showing through. A minimal light brown head with nice lacing that recedes.

S: Dark roasted malts with chocolate and a bit of hops. Nice sweetness that comes in too. Can't smell the coconut.

T: Dark roasted malt flavors with a big milk chocolate flavor. There is a caramel sweetness that shows off the toasted coconut, but not as much as I expected. Finish has a little floral hop bite to it and the lingering roasted finish.

M: Medium to light, a bit thin but enjoyable.

D: High, really good drinkable porter. Maybe if I had a few the sweetness might work on you a bit.

Overall a very drinkable and enjoyable porter that I was really glad to try. The coconut didn't show as much as I thought, but still it was very enjoyable and a beer I would drink any time. (860 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to swnicholson in Black Booty 2009 for this 12 oz can.

A: The porter is a dark stout black that, even when held to light, doesn't waver in it darkness. A finger of head from the pour is busy lacing around the glass.

S: The nose is heavy on porter aromas, dark and rich with coffee and chocolate. Coconut adds a lush sweetness that changes the direction of the ale without sacrificing the porter's strong coffee profile.

T: I hate coconut. Having beared that deeply held secret, let me profess that I love this beer. The porter is strong, thick and delicious with the coconut flitting in like a barrel-aged profile, augmenting the porter at just the right times. The porter, as in the nose, is rich and full. Coffee dominates, followed by a cocoa powder and chocolate combo that is nearly as strong. Coconut lingers throughout, a sweet covalent bond uniting the porter atoms. The more I sip, the more I appreciate the coffee flavors. I normally drink my coffee black, but some coconut milk may be a nice addition.

M: The mouthfeel is rich and silky, mostly porter with just enough coconut to be noticed. Much, much better than I was expecting.

D: Thank you, sir, may I have another?!? An excellent porter that doesn't skimp on the coffee. Oh yeah, the coconut is a nice element as well. (1,297 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Courtesy of trade with googzoid10 - solid! Into Portsmouth snifter...

Man, that's an excellent 2-finger, light maple head atop a solid espresso body. Retention is solid, lacing is also...a little bit of root beer head but there's a lot of breadiness, too...even some muffin tunnels.

Y'know, I definitely get the coconut. Its toastiness blends in nicely against the huge coffee-like barley roast. It has a fragrant floral note along with some complementing floral hoppiness. There's a lot going on with this deal, and so far it's all good.

I think the dryness of the average Porter shows up here. A little tininess as well...thinner body than expected...sure there's toasty malt and the floral coconut perfume but it's relatively dry and at first a little clammy...with warmth it rounds into a little fuller body - maybe ESB weight...and the coconut keeps coming...needs more solid malt backbone. Hops have a grassy profile here. Still quite interesting.

As mentioned there is a clammy, metallic quotient to this one that holds it back. The rest of it is very decent - there is a creamy malt quotient with dark chocolate notes. The coconut works extremely well here. Given a creamier and more velvety body profile this would be incredible. Now I have to snag one of those toasted coconut marshmallows we snagged from Yummies the crazy candy store in Kittery. Now those definitely go well with this offering, as expected. Highlights a need for a little extra residual sweetness, perhaps...maybe just a smidge to complement the grassy hop profile.

I really should sit and let this warm even more...but I'm having a tough time doing that. Just another indication that this crazy thing drinks pretty damn well. Style points for uniqueness, innovation and inspiration...no doubt. Now I want to brew a mocha coconut imperial stout. (1,829 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1%

Really huge and airy head, all the bubbles large and delicate, almost like a puff pastry, light brown in color, the lacing is full but slides down the glass sides swiftly. Close to black but it's more a very, very dark brown color, minimal difference around the rims. Coconut oil, coffee beans and dark chocolate make a succinct statement in the nose, in no way overpowering, firm maltiness with a pinch of flowers and baking spices. Medium-bodied, fresh and fluid mouth feel combines with a spring water lightness to keep the drinkability high. The bittersweet chocolate and coffee more pronounced than the coconut, the latter toastier here than in the nose. Gentle notes of peat moss or forest scrub to it. Strong carbonation for overall weight, weakens the finish. Not as sweet as you suspect it could have been, very appreciated. (833 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +3%

12 ounce can poured into a pint, thanks to shuajw for the extra.

A - Pours brown is almost black in the glass. Had a huge tan head, that was about the color of the background on the can. It subsided to a thin layer. Minimal lacing.

S - Alot of chocolate, with some coffee and coconut. Slightly sweet as well.

T - Chocolate, coffee, sweet malts, coconut. Very slight bitter finish.

M - Light with just a hint of carbonation.

D - Pretty good. (445 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1.8%

12 oz can thanks to the great Murchmac. Been wanting to sample this brew for the longest time, and here it is. Serving this one up in my Terrapin pint glass. Lets do this.

A: Pours a seemingly black body. Held to the light you get a bit more brown to come out, but it is pretty minimal. With the light, you get some red hues sporadically sneaking through all over the body. A semivigorous pour bubbled up about two fingers of brown head. It didn't last too long, falling to a thin collar with a bit of floating top cap. Little bit of lacing makes it t the glass, but a glass coating film keeps in sliding down.

S: This is the show stopper for sure. Tim nailed it by saying this brew smells like a Mounds bar. Its amazingly identical to that aroma when you bite into a Mounds or Almond Joy. The chocolate malts are all about some milk chocolate coming out with complete clarity. Then that toasted coconut blends with that chocolate and creates that intoxicating combonation. There is not much else in here that peeks through, but do you really need much more when you have this aroma? I didn't think so. Great.

T: Taste is not as powerful as the aroma, but its close. The coconut is much more subdued than the aroma would lead you to believe. That coconut is lightly toasted and seems to bring out some other nut type flavors (almond maybe?). Then you get that chocolatly malt presence. Its not as heavy in the milk chocolate realm as it is in the nose. Maybe a little more semisweet or bitter chocolate. This beer rounds out with a slightly grassy/earthy hops presence. Very good.

M: Probably my only gripe with this beer. This beer is medium in body but it does fall in the more lighter side of medium. Almost has a touch of wateriness to it. Carbonation is medium to light, just enough to keep it slightly crisp. ABV is not an issue or a factor. Aftertaste is all hops and chocolate malt.

D: Dude, I would drink a lot of this if I had it. This makes a great dessert beer because the flavor is not as sweet as the aroma. You get that dessert smell, but it doesn't overload you on the sugar. Sits pretty light in the tummy and the ABV keeps this baby pretty drinkable. I have to bring up that aroma again because it is just that good. It truly is amazing and I almost gave it a 5 but lack of diversity kept me from doing so. Still its amazing. It all works and would be better with a slight thicker feel. Just seems it would match the flavors and aroma a bit more. The feel as it is just seems a bit out of place. All in all, very good to great. Thanks, Tim!!! (2,567 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

WOW! Poured a very dark brown, with a slight amount of tan foam. The smell of sweet coconut and chocolate fill the nose with a pleasant sweet aroma of the tropic's. The taste was the same as the aroma, except the taste of coconut was number one, the semi sweet chocolate was number two, with a slight hint of the roasted malts being number three. I just loved this porter. This will go as one of my favorites and will buy six packs upon six packs next time I visit Maui, next year for sure. Aloha and Mahalo to Maui Brewing Company! (532 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from 12oz can into pint.

A :: Opaque brown with a short-lived tan head.
S :: Roasted coffee and some chocolate. It took a second sniff to detect the coconut, but it is there. It wasn't as present as I expected.
T :: As it smelled; roasted malts, coffee, chocolate. The coconut was very subdued and light. It finishes dry and chocolatey.
M :: Medium body, smooth, slightly oily and nicely carbonated
D :: Good porter overall, but I didn't get a strong coconut flavor. I can't say that's a bad thing however as the coconut was light and in the background as to not overpower the beer. I think that the lighter coconut flavor worked well here and added some sweetness to balance the roasted character. I could drink this again. (733 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Hats off to the folks at Maui Brewing for coming up with a memorable porter. Poured a jet black with a thick, solid white foam in my tulip glass. Slight aroma of a little bitter chocolate, but the flavor is where this one really gets you. Rich, bitter chocolate with maybe a tad of coffee and a very subtle, creamy coconut flavor underneath. I really appreciate the restraint they used with the coconut, you bearly notice it, but you can sense the creamy dimension there. Nice creamy mouthfeel. A very enjoyable and memorable porter. (533 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%

Written 09-08-2008. Moved to this location once it was realized that this review was posted under the brewpub's version of CoCoNut Porter.

First off, this review (and most nearly all reviews written under this moniker) was done by Wiseman Nick. It was later amended by Wiseman Justin.

Appearance: Opaque, dark brown liquid with light brown head. Initial head is about a half finger, but this quickly dissipates to a fizzy ring clinging to the edge of the glass. From the pour consistency looks a bit thin, but maybe I'm just not used to seeing porters poured from cans. EDIT: Viscious pour resulted in MASSIVE brown head. Looks pillowy, marshmallowy awesome! Wiseman Justin knows how to pour a can beer. Three fingers easily mushrooming over the top of the glass. Still too light of a color to give it a much higher rating.

Smell: I could smell this from several feet away. Coconut and milk chocolate - just like a Mounds bar. Some roasted malts give off a slight bitter/burnt aroma if you really get your nose in there. Smells great!
Wiseman Justin: I completely agree this beer smells delicious. I'd give it a 5 but we tend to round down when a disagreement occurs. 4.5 is still an exceptional score.

Taste: Dark chocolate, coconut, and a touch of alcohol are the first tastes that come to mind. This would probably be a good porter on its own, but the coconut blends in perfectly and really steps this brew up a notch. Aftertaste is surprisingly dry - tastes like Malibu Coconut Rum.
Wiseman Justin: I don't really taste the alcohol, if you really try you can almost tell I guess.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin for a porter, and not as smooth as anticipated. Alcohol produces a pretty obvious numbing sensation, and alcohol flavor dominates the aftertaste for the most part.
Wiseman Justin: I do not taste any alcohol flavors as an aftertaste. I get coffee coconut mocha flavors going on. My mouth does feel slightly numb but I think it's from the not smooth texture of the porter. Wiseman Nick thinks the alcohol is still present but not as strong.

Drinkability: This is a pretty sweet beverage. Great for a dessert beer, but otherwise I wouldn't want to drink more than two. Unfortunately I have a ton of them right now; I'll be using them for trade and appending this review.

Edit: Wiseman Justin: I completely and utterly and obnoxiously disagree with the drinkability rating. The first time I sat down to drink this I downed three easily and would have gone for more except Wiseman Nick the B(#*$&!! he is cut me off. (Wiseman Nick "there my beer you can't keep drinking this S#*^ I'm trying to trade it for other things) I have not had a porter with a higher drinkability than this one. It's delicious and for a porter very light, but in a good way. Not all porters should be light, but for a light porter this beer is exceptional. Since I have the password to this account I changed the drinkability rating from 3.5 to 5.0 suck it wiseman nick!

EDIT: Wiseman Nick: they're* dumbass, and yes THEY'RE MY BEERS! GIT UR OWN! (3,030 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz can.

A - Pours a thick dark black with a huge brown head that quickly recedes to a few bubbles around the rim. No Lacing.

S - Emmm. Chocolate and toffee dominate. Small hints of coffee and coconut, but this is one of the richest smelling porters I've smelled.

T - Delicious coffee and coconut flavor, with some chocolate and toffee involved. Almost exactly what I caught in the nose. Nice a sweet in the front with a good bitter hoppy finish. This is a complex beer and very very good.

M - This has a heavy body with high carbonation. Not overly cloying with the coconut and has good drying on the finish.

D - Comes in a 6pack of cans and is delicious and fairly inexpensive. I'd say very drinkable. (746 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Beer pours an opaque black with a big frothy head. Pretty stuff. Smell is interesting if not overly complex. I really get some sweet malt and coconut. The coconut reminds me of suntan lotion - and I mean this is a positive way. Not sure how much is my imagination (or marketing), but this is a porter with a bit of tropical edge. Pretty cool.

Taste is good. Taste is much like the nose, with some roasty malt and coconut. Some light chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel is a touch light for me, but this is highly drinkable. Kudos for taking a pretty standard style (for my experience) and giving it a cool twist. This is a porter I could drink on a sunny day or at the beach. Right on. (680 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

A little spendy at $10.99 for a four pack, but considering where this is from... I'll let it slide. Plus, this has been a beer that I have wanted to try since I first heard of it.

Pours a flat deep dark brown color with a nice off white head.

Smells a little sweet, with toasted notes, maybe a hint of coconut and chocolate.

Taste is nice. Light chocolate, sweet cream, malts, with hints of toasted coconut and coffee. Finish is crisp with a touch of mineral hop bitterness. Flavor profile is very nice, flavorful, but not too heavy. Maybe a little too sweet for my liking, but still quite a good beer.

Mouthfeel is good and full without being too heavy.

Drinkability is very good. Very nice porter that has lots of flavors, but doesn't overpower you with too much alcohol. I'd happily drink more than one these. Nice porter, well done Maui Brewing! (854 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Opaque, black appearance. Initial large head that fades to nothing. No lacing.

Smells like a mounds bar. Huge coconut and chocolate aroma. Not much else, but it's nice.

Again, tastes like a mounds bar. The coconut is huge and chocolate follows closely behind.

Mouthfeel is low carbonation, not drying.

Overall, a very tasty, interesting beer that I couldn't drink more than one of because of the sweetness. Definitely good and worth a try if you can get it. (462 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Pours very dark brown in color. Whatever frothy head that was there from the pour is completely gone. This has a very cola like look in the glass. Smell is highly roasted malts and just a slight hint of coconut. Taste is very roasted almost burnt malts and just mild coconut lingering underneath. There is quite a bit of bitterness coming from something in here. Can't quite put my finger on it and figure it out but it's definitely there. This is a little thinner than I was expecting. Completely clear around the edges. Very enjoyable to drink and quite sessionable. (568 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to oobawa for sharing. You do kinda owe me for teaching you everything I know. And not making me the best man in your wedding...

A: Deep brown almost black pour. One finger head that doesn't stick around for any substantial amount of time. Seems a little light for a porter, but I'm in a good mood so what the hell.

S: Mmmm...Coconut, coffee, followed by a very sweet malt.

T: Coconut, sweet malt, and chocolate. A truly unique tasting porter.

M & D: The mouthfeel is a little thin and could use a touch more carbonation. Still goes down way to easy. If this was readily available I would grab a four pack to keep in the fridge at all times. (656 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Delicious. This recent batch we got here in San Diego (iirc the born on date was late '08) has a lot more coconut flavor than the batches we got in 2008.

The previous ones tasted like a well balanced porter with just a hint of roast coconut. This one I had a few nights ago had bright fresh coconut taste, very tasty and drinkable and not overbearing as long as you like coconut ... but why would you be drinking this if you didn't? (434 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

I have tried three of these Maui canned beers. This one is the heavy. Fairly thick and full. When you pour it you immediately know it's for real.

The color and aroma hit you immediately. The taste is right there. The roastieness makes it taste chocolaty, but those must be roasted coconuts. Hawaii has a gem here, a really unique brew that is not just unusual, it is good.

Unlike many brews like this, Coconut Porter doesn't hit you and then leave you flat. It is very drinkable. Unfortunately,
I don't have any others to drink! I would love to try it on tap. (564 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Darkest brown bordering on black, large two finger head with nice lacing. Aroma is very chocolaty, some nuttiness and just a hint of coconut to round things out. Smells fantastic! Taste follows suit with the nose, plenty of chocolate and roasty malts, and the coconut becomes much more prevalent than the nose lets on. Toasty and roasty, lightly sweet. Body is a tad to thin for such a good tasting stout. This thing would be out of the park if it had a little more umph. Very nice though, and very drinkable. Glad I had the chance to try this one. Thanks go out to alexd3891 for sending a 4 pack my way! (604 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +0.2%

I love the canning info that takes up 25% of the design on Coconut Porter (excuse me: CoCoNut PorTer). Now that glass is harder and harder to recycle, cans are the way to go. And for traders, they have a clear advantage over bottles. Speaking of traders, thanks to msubulldog25 for sending this my way. It's eastward journey ends here!

This is a beautiful beer--two fingers of rocky, fluffy toasted brown head atop an incredible black void that rivals many Russian Imperial Stouts.

Aroma is gentle, with roasted characters up front and a peculiar, unusual smell wafting its way in...wait, it's the coconut. It's not like the coconut you smell in greasy sun-tan lotions or in bags of the shredded stuff. It's very...earthy. But the nose is subtle and doesn't give you a sense of what this is going to taste like...

Flavor favors the roast elements of the malt mingling clean and easy with the coconut. The coconut is toasted, and that very much comes through in the flavor without overshadowing the main flavor of the nut meat. Hops are barely detectable; finish is chocolatey, and also nutty and hearty, like a warm slice of fresh-baked dark bread.

Incredible lightness of texture, though in no way wimpy or watery. Just a smooth delicateness, velvet-soft and ever-so-slightly sticky, in a good way.

Well dang, if I never have another one, I'll probably remember this flavor forever. Doesn't hit you over the head with novelty, or come at you with too much sweetness. It lets the coconut do what it does, and remains a good sensible porter to boot. Sure wish I had greater accessibility to this, I could see this being a regular go-to beer. Another great beer from a can! (1,676 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Poured from 12oz can to pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brown nowhere near black but still very dark. Produces a two-finger tan head with good retention and some lacing.

S: Roasted malts with hints of chocolate are dominated by what at first smells seems to be an oak scent which after a few smells turns out to be a light coconut shell. It doesn't smell that strong coconut as it does wood, but you can tell its there.

T&M: Don't worry, the lack of coconut in the smells is made up in taste. Roasted malts hit first the come a wave of oaky coconut taste with slight hints of vanilla, turning into a roasted chocolate finish. Very good flavor, I think they nailed the coconut perfectly! I just wish the flavor overall could have had a bit more to it, I know not all beers need to be bold, But I felt like I could have been getting so much more out of this one. For what it is though it is amazing. The lack of carbonation and an only light-medium body kind was a let down.

Overall: wonderful flavor for a unique beer. Mouthfeel could have been better, but overall I'm very impressed. If only this stuff made it to Minnesota...or out of Cali for the matter. (1,159 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

I love coconut... like a lot. When I saw this beer, you can imagine how excited I must have felt.

A: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, small java colored head that was fine, crisp and quickly dissipated. Seems to have a yellow glow, even though it is very dark.

S: A sweet chewy coffee, chololatey roasted coconut. Like candy.

T: A sweet and golden flavored coffee. Roasted to perfection. Subtle taste of coconut. Not quite as much as I would like. Malt and coffee dominant, sweet with a coconut subtlety.

M: Smooth and fine, small amount of carbonation, but just right.

D: A great beer, very drinkable, and completely enjoyable. I would not mind having one of these while laying in the sand... drinking it from a coconut shell in Maui.

Definitely try once or twice, or six times. (786 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Poured 2 inches of tan bubbly head that dissipated over a few minutes. The beer is black in color not letting any light through.

Smell: Roasty wood smell, with some chocolate and coconut, and something resembling coffee...

Taste: Strong coconut flavor, sweet malty chocolate, some brown sugar almost maple flaovrs then ends with a roasted coconut flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium body, sweet feel, medium carbonation, nothing special

Drinkability: Really sweety, pretty drinkable though, good flavors. Lives up to the name! (532 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5%

pours solid black with a nice brown head. the nose is very pungent. chocolate, big malts, coconut, sweetness from everything (malts, coconut, etc). the taste is dry malts up front followed by coconut sweetness in the finish. the coconut really gives this beer some depth because it is so fresh and tropical in the taste. big roasty malts. full bodied, medium carbo, an instant classic. (385 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for sharing this one. 12oz. can served in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured two shades shy of black. Half inch off-white head recedes into a skim. Nose is big on roasted coffee, followed by toasted coconut. Taste follows nose; roasted character is in the forefront but the coconut clearly comes out immediately after. Also picked up a milky quality. Mouthfeel is thin, slightly watery and lightly effervescent. Decent drinkability and flavor for the abv. I'm not a huge coconut fan, but this is pretty tasty. (530 characters)

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.