Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Avg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 837 | Hads: 1,917
3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

This is the first "craft" beer I've had in a can, so I was quite excited to try it.

The beer is very dark brown in appearance, almost black. Light brown head, about 1/4 inch thick and it dissipated quickly.

The smell was very pleasant, with a slight coconut aroma and a hint nuttiness.

The beer had a roasted barely taste, with faint carmel flavors. Unfortunately I could not taste any coconut.

Mouthfeel was just average. I found the beer had a lot of carbonation, almost a bit too much.

Overall, I thought the beer was not too complex, but had a rather one dimensional flavor. Still, it was quite enjoyable and worth a try.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

I love beers where the sum is greater than the parts....

Pours a delectable pitch black with a frothy head that dissipates rather quickly but sticks around the edges...

Aroma is a pungent, sweet toasted coconut backed by a deeply roasted coffee note. A bit one-dimensional (or, two, as it were), but it's enticing.

Taste is a silky smooth coffee-coconut foreward experience... no real hops to speak of except for a nice balancing bitterness. A bit of milk chocolateishness to the sweetness. It's not too sweet, and its silky smooth (I realize I already said that, it bears repeating). An easy, enticing to drink brew. No more than medium bodied. It would go well with dessert, or as a nice, after dinner sessioner.

It's not going to steal the show, necessarily, but it'll always be a handsome compliment to it.

4.2/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a dense brown hue, thick layer of tan shaving cream-like head, minimal lacing

Smell is coffee and dark chocolate malts, roast and bready malts, light hint of earthy hops and booze

Taste is mostly roasted malts with a good dose of dark chocolate and coffee, earthy hops, a hint of actual coconut lingers on the edges of the palate especially during the bitter finish

Mouthfeel is thin-bodied, watery smooth texture, carbonation is pretty high and prickly here

Drinkability is fair, a great and unique porter with tones of coconut that accentuate the malt profile without being too overwhelming, very exciting but I wouldn't drink a whole lot of this at a time, strangely the alcohol seems stronger than it should be at 5.5%

4.2/5  rDev +5%

I don't know if I think I like this beer because of its rarity in the midwest or if I really like it. After four (not in a row) of them, I finally came to a conclusion. I really like this beer! It pours dark ruby, with a nice big white head that disappears rapidly. Chocolate malty smell w/little coconut that invites you to drink.
spicy, smooth, rich flavor that improves with warming. This beer should not be drunk cold. Before I drank one of these beers I had a piece of chocolate covered macadamia nut that my great beer trader sent along,( atigerlife ) and what a difference that made! this beer absolutly was more complex and wonderful. Now, it's hard not to have a piece of chocolare before or during one. If you can get it, you should. You won't be dissapointed.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

a: This was a dark ruby red, almost black. It poured with a medium sized mocha colored head. The head was short lived and left some moderate lace behind.

s: Great smelling porter. Aromas of fresh toasted grains along with some coffee and vanilla notes. I couldn't smell any coconut.

t: I didn't expect to, but I actually did taste some toasted coconut! It blends exceptionally well with this superior porter. Smokey coffe flavored malts with some vanilla sweetness.

m: Very viscous for a porter with smooth foamy carbonation.

d: Big thanks to rallison for the chance to try this one. I loved it and I wish it was a local offering.

4.04/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Another can, makes bump up smelll ( actual toasted coconut paases my nose at some points)!!

I got this from Jw347, cheers John!

Pours black with 4+ fingers of mocha head, bursts out of the can! Average lacing & below average head retention

S: Coffee & not much else

T: Coffee, vanilla & bitter chocolate, dryness & yeah. a bit of toasted coconut up front. Mostly coffee & some coconut as this warms. Much toasted coconut in the finish

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation, smooth

Drinks pretty easy, a very nice porter, never had this the couple of 3 times I visited the brewpub, good choice for a flagship beer. I do wonder how much sells in Hawaii?, since folks gravitate toward lighter beers there

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Poured from 12oz can. First canned "craft" beer I've ever had.

It pours a damn near black and forms nice tan head that dissipates quickly.

Was expecting coconut in the aroma but detected none whatsoever. Huge amounts of roasted & chocolate malts. Very malty/bready scent. Mild sprinkling of hops.

Didn't taste much coconut at all! Very disappointing in that regard. Outside of that the taste is great. Powerful taste of the roasted barely with some mild fruity esters in there. Finishes with the nice taste of cocoa powder.

It's alive and kicking on the palate! Very carbonated (maybe a little too carbonated for this style?) Medium/full body that feels great.

Pretty drinkable and enjoyable if your a roasted barley fan. Not very strong at all in the ABV so it's easy to put back a couple pints.

For a porter it's great but since it's labeled as a coconut porter I was expecting more coconut aromas and flavors. None of which made it to this brew.

4/5  rDev 0%

Picked up as part of a sampler pack.

Beer poured black as night with a fine tan head. Nose was very much of roasted barley and hints of west coast hops. Taste is of those roasted malts, hint of chocolate, balanced by hops with a slight coconut finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth. Overall drinkability is good. Even though i am not a coconut fan, this was a very nice recipe and should be tried if you are visiting paradise!

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Can from a trade, but im not sure from who, cause my girlfriend opened all my boxes and didn't remember.

Poured from a can into my pint glass, poured black with a dark brown head that quickly fades away.
Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate , some coconut and earthiness.
Flavor was very smooth, roasty , some chocolate and the smallest amount of coconut in the finish. A very smooth and drinkable beer, i wish it was sold around here, hopefully ill be able to get some more.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Was very, very, very excited to see this at a local Bevmo. I enjoy a tropic-esque drink every once in a while (don't judge me!), and I had a hankering for this finally available brew.

Pours a dark brown with a two inch off white head. Smells is sublime, with sweet chocolate/cocoa, a whiff of coconut (this beer's coconuttiness is understated), roasted malt, and an earthy nuttiness that I typically see in brown ales, rather than porters.

The taste was wonderful, with roasted malt, sweet chocolate, coconut, and that same earthiness. This is a pretty good beer, and this is one of the very, very rare occasions I actually went back to the store immediately to pick up some more.

The mouthfeel is good, not overwhelmingly thick, but at the appropriate carbonation level and density for the brew.

**this is the most inconsistent beer I've ever seen. Sometimes it tastes like my review, above, sometimes it's thin, flat, and has little flavor. I have no idea what the problem is.

3.74/5  rDev -6.5%

From a can into a Bell's Tulip glass.

Has a one finger cream color head that formed quickly but disappeared just as soon. One aspect of the appearance of this beer is that there was a lot of carbonation trailing up it and it just literally destroyed the head. With all of the initial carbonation, I would have thought that I had a cola poured instead of a beer. The color is a dark and deep brown that no light gets though and is rather reflective.

S - Light hints of vanilla and coconut seem to come forth from the nose. There is also a hint of roasted cocoa and coffee as well. The nose is rather big and each sniff seems to give it a little bit different experience.

T - The taste is a mixture of sweet vanilla on the front and roasted chocolate on the back side. Mixed in with the vanilla, I get a slight hint of coconut but not really as much. It seems to almost give a unique taste to the vanilla more than standing out by itself. I can't really explain how the coconut influences the vanilla taste of the beer other than to say that it has a definite effect that I notice. It almost makes the vanilla have more of a natural taste to it; could even say that it reminds me a bit of a toasted marshmallow flavor. Additionally, it makes the transition towards the roasted flavors more natural and smooth. The roasted flavors on the back side are light and make this beer stand on the sweeter side for a porter. The aftertaste leaves a lasting cocoa tingle that sits on the tongue.

MF - Have to say this does have a ton of carbonation even after I let it sit for awhile. The body is a little light for a porter. The carbonation seems really out of place in this beer given the flavors and leaves a tingle that carries on a bit too much for my taste. After the carbonation does tame down a bit after leaving the beer for about 30 minutes I could get a hint of the MF becoming creamier yet still a ton of carboation in it.

D - Overall, this is a porter worth a try for the novelty of it but I felt a bit let down. It was way too carbonated for my taste for a porter.r It was a bit unique with the hint of coconut but it was really barely noticeable. If you can find this easily, give it a try but if you can't then don't really go out of your way to try it.

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%

A: Black. Very black, w/ a thin tan head that lasted for about 3 minutes.

S: Malts. Candy like aroma, and lots of malts. A hint of hops lingers in the aroma as well. Some chocolate, roasted nuts and bread round it out.

T: Very very tasty!!! Delicious. Lots of malty goodness. Man this is yummy.

M: This is the best thinnest beer I've had. Crisp and clean, great carbonation.

D: I wish I had a bushel of crabs and a case of this beer.

I need more!

4.19/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours dark brown with a black hue. Nearly opaque once in the glass, with translucent edging of mahogany. A thin head of tan dissapted quickly leaving no lacework and a few errant whisps on the surface.

Aromatics lead off with bitter chocolate, coffee beans, and mild coconut. The coconut becomes more apparent as the brew warms, and some toasted notes step forward as well.
A chocolate bar at the beach with coconut suntan lotion in the air.

A smidge bigger than medium bodied and a bit oily. Crisp and and a bit prickly.

Chocolate, nuts, dark roast coffee, and toasted grains on the pallet. Once again, the coconut developes after, and is stronger in the finish than the start.

Finishes with roasted coconut and bitter chocolate.

At first I was dissapointed by the lack of coconut, but it really does become more apparent as you get into the glass. The amount thats in there is a great balance, and keeps the beer quaffable.
The Porter base is a bit light for my taste, but I'm sure it would be great on a beach on Maui!

Big ups to olibeer22 for a great bonus beer!

3.91/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours black and completely opaque with one inch of tan head sitting on top. Good retention and a little lacing.

Aroma has some good notes. Darkly roasted malts, chocolate mostly but I'm having difficulty detecting any coconut.

Taste is nice. Dark roasted malts, chocolate, and almost no coconut. Not as big as I was hoping.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy, and has plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. Flavors are good, and with low alcohol it's definitely sessionable.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz can poured into a snifter.

A - Deep dark brown with a small coffee colored head that has fine tiny bubbles. Do Ho reference for a beer brewed in Hawaii. That's right.

S - Smells of roasted coffee & malt. Sweetness from the coconut, although it's very faint. Might not pinpoint the smell if I didn't know what it was. I wanted more.

T - Tastes of roasted coffee, malt, small hop bite and a mild sweetness from the coconut.

M - Medium bodied & carbonated.

D - Easy drinking. Not heavy at all.

This is a fine porter. I wanted more coconut aroma & taste though. The $8.99 per 4 pack is a bit of a deterent, but I'll gladly buy this again.

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a pint glass produces a 1.5 finger head that quickly recedes, leaving little lacing. The head has a slight hint of espresso color and the bubbles are fine. The body itself is a deep black. Now, this is how I like my porter to look. Yum.

Smells of coffee, roasted malt, and bittersweet chocolate. It smells fantastic, but where's the coconut?

This is where things get better. It tastes exactly as it smells and has a very nice, creamy mouthfeel to complement the great porter characteristics. Once again though, where's the coconut? (Pause) Oh wait, there it is. That coconut is wayyy subtle.

This porter is badass. The coconut is hinted in the aftertaste only if I give it a minute before having another drink of this fine brew. My roommate, who does not have knowledge in beer, asked me what I would rate it from a 1 to 10, and I said that it's easily an 8. This stuff is highly quaffable and easy to recommend if you like porters or robust beers alike. This would be a great session beer, but the price turns me off a little bit as I paid $8.99 for a 4 pack of 12oz. cans. Bring that price down, or give me a six for the same price and it'll be a staple. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +2%

12oz can compliments of Noxious26 poured into a pint glass.
Label as pictured above, lots of info on can including: Certified Made on Maui, 2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal, Why Cans? 5.7%.
Black, opaque with dark brown edge when held to the light. Light brown creamy head that fades to a thin ring. Aroma is mainly roasted malts and toasted coconut. Taste is like a standard porter, but with a toasted coconut flavor.
Medium body with little carbonation keep it from being to fizzy or bubbly. Maybe a little thin, but right for a porter, it's not a stout.
The coconut flavor is there, but I thought there might be a bit more coconut smell.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to Dansting for this one. 12oz. can served in a shaker pint glass. Poured a deep brown/black with about a finger of fine bubbled tan head. Very interesting aroma toasted coconut. Chocolate comes out also as it warms. Lots of roasted malt flavor and some chocolate sweetness. Coconut comes out in th finish. There is also some hop bitterness in the middle. A unique flavor combination that really works.

4.48/5  rDev +12%

Enjoyed in a tall water glass. Purchased at Foodland in Princeville, Kauai. This was my favorite of the three I found at Foodland (Bikini Blonde, and Big Swell IPA were the others).
A: Aggressive pour yields 4 fingers of fluffy tan head. The full can didn't even go in the glass for all that :-( Opaque dark brownish-black color with just a tad of red at the bottom edge.
S: Chocolate, coffee, tinge of caramel, alcohol, tiny bit of coconut, but not much at all. I want more coconut aroma.
T: Mmmmm. Creamy chocolate covered coffee beans with a coconut dusting. What a great mix of fruit and beer - there is not dominant flavor. Amazing how they keep dancing back and forth; alternatingly bobbing and weaving into the foreground. A great marriage.
M: Coffee-like bitterness, smooth and perfect carbonation. No heat, full bodied.
D: Delicious, I want another! There are some interesting problems with that though. This is only available in Hawaii and I don't frequently want such a full-bodied beer in warm weather. This beer is worth it though.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

Thanks go to BrewBakerE for the chance to try this brew:

A - Pours black with a massive cream colored head that dissipated quickly into a light ring leaving no lace.

S - Dark fruits, burnt tobacco, burned grainy malts resembling a grass fire (not in a bad way), and roasted coconut.

T - Roasted malts, light chocolate, roasted coconut, and a spice that I can't put my finger on.

M - Lighter then I thought it would be, but not in a bad way. Hefty carbonation with a lingering flavor from the roast.

D - Good brew. Excellent complexity, but not overwhelming. Light enough to drink on a hot day and sessionable ABV makes it easy to have several. Would pick more up in the future if given the chance.

3.91/5  rDev -2.3%

A- Pours a deep mahogany with a fluffy, tan, 2 finger head.

S- Smell is a bit laid back, hints of coffee that pretty much cover up other scents.

T- Taste is wonderful, coffee is dominate, cream, I don't get too much coconut from this one though. I seem to get a mettalic taste from this brew and i'm not sure if it's from the can or not but without it I would give this much higher marks. I definitely want to try this on tap to see if the canning is the issue.

M- Fairly viscous with a good amount of carbonation.

D- This one is very drinkable. I could sip on these all day. I really want to try this one on tap though because the mettalic tinge is bugging me.

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

I can get this now that they started distributing it to Southern California. It is about the 4th can of it that I have had and I love this stuff.

It pours a nice very dark brown color with a nice size light brown head that was about 1/2 and inch thick.

The smell is awesome. Smells of hints of coconut, bitter chocolat, and expresso beans.

Taste is exactly as it smells with all the roasted flavours and a good malt base. I wish it had a little more coconut flavour since that was what i was expacting and hoping for because the coconut is very hidden in the background.

Mouthfeel is good and of any other porter but i wish it had a creamier mouthfeel because with the coconut it feels appropriate.

A very good beer none the less and i will drink many more of thease but I just wish it had a little more coconut character (creamyness and flavour) which is why im experementing with homebrew...

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a shaker pint. Thanks to coreyrhoads for the trade!! Pours a dark brown, blak with a thin tan head. Smells of roasted malts followed up by a hint of coconut and some wood-like aroma. Flavor is definitely unique. I get a sharp crisp bite, not like most porters and then it sort of fizzles out with a hint of coconut flavor on the tail end. I am loving the whole canned thing, but I think I get a bit of aluminum typo flavor in the taste. I could just be dreaming it, though. Beer fizzles in my mouth. Pretty good drinkablilty, definitely something I will try again.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours from the can (I love saying that) with a two-finger thick, lightly browned, tan colored head. The beer is a an almost black color, with perhaps just a hint of amber to it. It is opaque when held up to the light, but did show a clear, dark chocolate color as I was pouring it. The aroma is nicely roasted with touches of tart, burnt grain, some dark chocolate notes, sharp espresso aromatics, a light roasted nut note, some light vanilla like notes and a dark sweetness that likely comes from both the coconut and the beer. Not overtly expressive of coconut aromatics, instead it melds into the normal dark grain notes. The aroma is quite nice though and definitely worth exploring for a bit.

This has a soft creamy mouthfeel to it with a bit of viscous heft, but somehow remains light and quaffable at the same time. Dark milk chocolate flavors combine with flavors of mocha ice cream and a finish that is reminiscent of a lightly bitter shot of espresso (though still a sweetened one). The finish has a deeply toasted, nutty note that lingers on in the mouth for quite some time. The chocolate flavors in this brew are quite pronounced and quite nice, this is really accented by the low hop character here (both flavor and hop bitterness are really not all that perceptible). As the beer warms up quite a bit, a very slight, burnt vegetal note becomes noticeable.

If given this beer blind I would never have guessed I was getting a coconut flavored brew, having said that, I can see how it influences the flavor profile, but one could do the same thing by manipulating standards beer ingredients (with perhaps some toasted oak note thrown in). None of that keeps this from being quite a tasty tipple though. I really like the mouthfeel of this beer; soft and creamy yet still quite quaffable.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to jhenry04 for this extra. Taken from notes.

A- Pours a nice dark brown with cola colored head.

S- Smells of roasted malts and slight bit of toasted coconut. Similar to a Mounds bar.

T- Even more so like a Mounds bar with more roastiness added in.

M - A little thin mouthfeel for me.

D - A little sweet and I couldn't have too many but this is a nice beer .

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.