CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Another BIF beer at DC tasting.

A: Nice dark brown with a small head and just a little lacing.

S: Nice roasty chocolatey smell, and there is a little savory semi sweet note to it that doesn't scream coconut but suggests it.

T: Very nice roasted coffee and chocolate in the taste, the roast lingers nicely. Little bit of lactose sugars too. Do not taste any coconut, though there is a pecan like nutty flavor.

M: Medium body, good roasted feel, but it does seem watery and thinner than a usual porter.

Overall good.

08-20-2011 17:57:54 | More by Dreadnaught33
SpdKilz

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

I can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this beer before. Seeing as I got this from Chris (Cavery) I thought I’d give it a whirl. Thanks Chris!

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a dark viscosity. About a finger of tan head is achieved with a moderate pour that leaves slight lacing.

Smell – Vanilla, coconut, bittersweet chocolate, and toasted roasted malts.

Taste – Quite similar to the aroma. There is a nice coconut flavor mixed in with the bittersweet chocolate and vanilla. Finishes with a nice malty roasted malt backbone.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Overall – I really enjoy this beer. I will say this does taste a bit different from in past, however, it is still a solid porter.

08-19-2011 03:01:26 | More by SpdKilz
Coplains

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

Found at a local store, intrigued by the coconut.
Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pours really dark with mocha foam. No lacin,g. On the glass. Smells of coffee and chocolate. Tastes sweeter than most porters with the faint hint of coconut. Different, but very good. First time I have had a coconut porter, would enjoy comparing to another.

08-17-2011 00:12:23 | More by Coplains
chugalug06

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Can marked 12/2010, poured into a NB Globe

A - Great big pour!! Lots of head! Thin lacing remains on the glass. Brew is very brown with lots of black, while head is straw color foam.

S - Big milk chocolate! Some nice coconut sweetness too. Very deep and dark. Definite roasty coffee

T - WOW! Coffee, coco, and nutty. Great taste.

M - Perfect carbonation! Very wet and deliverers fantastic flavor! Incredible smoothness!

O - Awesome brew, with 9 months on it, it only gets better!

08-16-2011 00:51:39 | More by chugalug06
theboozecruise

Louisiana

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Craft beer in a can huh? Thanks to 3rd Row Tailgater for bringing this one back to me from Maui!

It pours a dark brown color with a couple fingers of frothy off-white head. Fantastic looking beer!

The aroma is chocolatey malt with a little medicinal quality that might be the coconuts coming through.

The taste is rich and roasted with a very faint coconut flavor. It's nice but I wish it had more coconut!

Overall a really good porter. The can didn't seem to affect anything, I just wish it has more coconut.

08-13-2011 22:17:00 | More by theboozecruise
kyleelton

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to make some homemade ice cream infused with some Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but my local grocery store didn't carry it. I didn't really feel like making another trip this particular day, so I decided to try the Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter instead. I got the 4 packer home and immediately pulled one off of the black plastic holder. The thing had a death grip on the beer and I had to really muscle it off. I guess that move shook the can too much because when I pulled the tap I lost a good 2 oz. of the beer from spew.

That brings me to the appearance. The foam was way up, obviously, but then disappeared to almost nothing very quickly. I don't know if that's because it exploded and thus ruined the carbonation, but I was shocked at how poorly it held the head.

Dispite the head the color of the beer is beautiful. It's a deep deep brown and when it holds to the light you almost see a marroonish color coming through. Only slightly foggy, this is a good looking porter, despite the disappointing head.

The smell is really nice. I smell coffee roast, very roasty. I'm also getting chocolates and some a little sweetness (from the Coconut?)

Lots of coffee roastedness in the taste. Good aftertaste that doesn't overpower, I also gets some hops up front, which I like. Hops in Porters and Stouts often get overpowered by the malts and I like that it's there.

That pre-beer shake up and subsequent blow up HAD to have hurt the carbonation because it's evident in the mouthfeel. I'll have to assume that there's supposed to be more carbonation in this. Decent mouthfeel, my first reaction is that it's a little thin. Maybe I'm just saying that because of the lack of carbonation. I'm also having to remember that I'm more accustomed to stouts which are thicker. Still, I can't help but want a little more.

Overall, it's a good beer. Not my fav but I think it will do the job. I'll definitely have to try it again. This time I'll let it sit for a few minutes if I happen to yank it violently from it's vice grip holder.

08-09-2011 21:04:55 | More by kyleelton
smakawhat

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass.

A great uniform forming tan to cocoa like brown head easily four fingers settling down to three with a minor cap. Foaming bubles through the head, lava like in appearance HAH HAH did I just say that!! Volcano action! Great looking beer.

WOAH chocolate instant nestle quick here. Milkshake chocolate heaven and creamy smelling. Masks over typical porter roastyness which isn't showing on the nose. Ah wonderful.

Taste is no... texture first. Creamy rich, milky, in feel, with a nice mild coffee roast in the mid palate. Chocolate milk finish and creamy with a hint of super soft roastiness!

What a great porter, feels and smells so good.

08-08-2011 00:02:12 | More by smakawhat
aficionado

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks Kyle2k10!

Blacker than expected. Decent light brown head with not a ton of lacing left behind. Can't really complain TOO much about this field.

You really have to search for the coconut. I must have tried some old cans because all I could smell was mild toasted coconut along with biscuit, almond/hazelnut, tobacco, and chocolate.

On the taste, more of the same from the aroma with some saving graces in balance. Smooth and woody, but tobacco is what I most sense. This is probably a great example of coconut in a beer when fresh, but it was just a slightly above average porter to me. It was dry and drinkable, but my main complaint is being called something it does not truly represent... again, that may have been because the cans were old.

Had that definite porter feel with the lighter body and higher carbonation, but it was almost too light at times. Watery mouthfeel. Not a repeat UNLESS I got it fresh (maybe even through a Randall with toasted coconut). That would probably be delicious. I love coconut, but this beer just didn't do it for me as much as I expected it would. It reminded me of Cigar City Maduro Brown, but more roasty and less quality.

08-05-2011 22:37:56 | More by aficionado
chrisrhoppe

Puerto Rico

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Pours with a nice brown tight head that doesn’t stick around for to long, in the aroma is roasted chocolate, hazelnut, coffee, and a slight coconut sweetness that to me comes off as more of an almond smell. Nice initial bitterness on the tongue followed by chocolate and hazelnut flavors. The malt sort of falls apart in the middle and the beer finishes light, making it a nice porter for a hot day, but I was hoping for a bigger mouth feel.

08-05-2011 17:42:57 | More by chrisrhoppe
kflorence

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Kudos for the can!

A: Pours an opaque, dark brown color with a small amount of tan head that dissipates. Carbonation levels look good. A bit of lacing as you drink. Was hoping for a bit more head, maybe I didn't pour aggresively enough.

S: Lots of roasted malts, some caramel, coconut, roasted wood, a bit of bitter hops, soy sauce and a bit of alcohol astringency. Smells deeply roasted with some sweetness. Very potent.

T: Taste follows the nose pretty well. Though I did notice a lot more coconut sweetness than the nose hinted at, it is still quite subtle. Lots of roast up front with a good balance of sweetness from the malts, some vanilla, dark chocolate and a bit of bitterness. Maybe some coffee notes in there, but mostly just the burnt/roasted malts. A bit astringent as the alcohol creeps in there.

M: I would say this is a borderline heavy bodied brew with good, thin carbonation and a ton of creaminess. The carbonation sizzles on the tongue but turns creamy on the swallow; maybe a tad thin for the style but it keeps it drinkable.

O: A very solid and flavorful American porter with a powerful roasted malt presence balanced nicely with some coconut sweetness and hop bitterness. Nothing complicated here, but this is top-notch quality. I would say that it's a bit astringent for my palate, and obviously a bit heavy for this time of year, but I will pick this up again without hesitation when the colder months roll around and give this one another go. Cheers!

08-02-2011 03:22:03 | More by kflorence
DavidST

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a tulip glass, sadly I can't read the date on the bottom, but based on the other cans in the store its either March or July of this year (I realize this is a big difference).

The appearance is very good, its a dark almost blackish color with a large creamy mocha head. The smell is mostly roasted malts, some coffee, a little caramel, a hint of a sweet fruit, probably the coconut, maybe even smoked coconut(??). The feel is medium still plenty of carbonation. The taste is of roasted malts, coffee, a little dark chocolate, some smokiness and a hint of sweetness perhaps from the coconut. There is some hoppy and roasted malt bitterness at the end. Overall this a pretty great porter (even if it was far different than expected) and this is one I'll be sure to get again. Good stuff.

08-02-2011 02:17:37 | More by DavidST
rbhockeyfan

Nevada

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

This beer was a very pleasant surprise.

Appearance: It pours an almost pitch black color with a beautiful caramel colored head, Left a nice lacing on the side of the glass as well as a 1/2" or so of head that stuck around for long time.

Smell: Classic porter notes; malt, caramel, coffee, vanilla, and then towards the end of the you get a nice bit of roasted coconut, a smell that seems to enhance the malty deliciousness that is present in this beer

Taste: Honestly I was quite taken back the taste, as a stand alone porter, this would be a good beer, but the smokey and sweet flavor the the roasted coconut brings out an amazing complexity of malt, hops, and of course the coconut.

Mouthfeel: only place this beer lacks, the flavor and look would make you think the mouthfeel was heavy, creamy, and typical of a porter. It is not, it is a bit thin, but not enough so that you lose anything from the overall experience.

Overall: This beer, is really a nice surprise. The mixture of the hops, and malt meld very very well with the flavors of the roasted coconut. I expected a mediocre beer with this one, but was very surprised to taste something quite impressive and familiar with just little bit of a twist that coconut adds.

07-31-2011 23:05:35 | More by rbhockeyfan
allforbetterbeer

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours with two fingers of tan creamy head. The body is very close to pitch black with no highlights... wow!

Smells like a full-flavored porter, with roasted malts and bitter hops showing up with depth. A touch of smoke and some dark caramel are also present.

Caramel and coconut chocolate are big flavors here, along with a nice dose of hop bitterness and some roasted barley flavors. A little accent of vanilla makes an appearance as well. There is a great balance to the flavors here, and a high level of complexity. Rich and tasty.

The mouthfeel isn't as thick or creamy as this looks, but it is still good. I enjoy the slightly lower level of carbonation and quality feeling aftertaste.

Conclusion: This is a tasty porter, and reminds me a bit of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, except this is flavor with coconut. Honestly I could go for more coconut flavors, but this is still pretty tasty!

07-30-2011 22:20:29 | More by allforbetterbeer
CBlack85

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to Beertunes for this one.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Beer pours black, nearly devoid of all highlights with about 2 fingers worth of dense dark tan head. Very stout-esque

The aroma is big on chocolate, with hints of vanilla, and just a little roasty character. I had to really search to find a little bit of coconut in the nose.

Slightly bitter chocolate and roasted malts are featured, with bits of vanilla, coffee, coconut, and just the slightest bit of hop character. Really, the coconut seems like an afterthought, just enough to make the beer interesting but not enough to overpower the beer. Medium bodied and mildly carbonated. Slightly slick on the toungue and very easy to drink. The beer really opens up as it warms.

Overall, this is a great beer. Very well crafted, a great porter with or without the coconut.

07-28-2011 02:35:11 | More by CBlack85
BeanBone

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: A dark brown, very nearly black body with a few stray brown highlights. Up top, two fingers of creamy brownish head that burn off in average time and leaves great lacing.

Aroma: Lots of sweet, deeply roasty, and husky malt with notes of baker’s chocolate and dark coffee. The coconut is there if you go looking; it’s a nice subtle toasty presence around the edges.

Flavor: Again, lots of dark-roasted husky malt with notes of smoke, dark coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of dark fruit. The coconut is subtle in the flavor too, just adding a little bit of toasty and husky coconut character. There’s nice bitterness from the hops, but not much else. Husky dark malt and a hint of coconut in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy with a drying finish.

Drinkability: Easily quaffable for the fans of dark beers, I could throw back a few of these with ease.

Verdict: Coconut Porter is a solid little Porter and perfect for those that love lots of roasty malt in their porters. As long as you don’t go in looking for heaps of coconut, you’ll be fine. Worth the wait for me.

07-24-2011 06:11:59 | More by BeanBone
zeledonia

Canned 4 March 2011.

Pours very dark brown, essentially black, but brown at the edges. Nice dense dark tan head, okay retention, just a bit of lacing. Looks like a typical American porter.

Lots of roast in the smell, a bit burnt, and a woody smell that I think is coming from the coconut. Has a nice touch of sweetness lurking in the background, giving the smell some body. Good, but nothing special.

Tastes pretty good. Again, lots of dark roast, a touch of char. Quite malty, but bitter and dark due to the heavy roast. I don't pick up the coconut at all, except maybe a hint hiding back there with the sweetness. Finish is smooth, just gradually fading away with a good combination of rising sweetness and fading bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, carbonation a little higher than I expect for a porter, but it works just fine.

Good all across the board. Doesn't really stand out in any way, but it's very solid. One of the better porters I've had, but a step below the top ones in complexity, and lacking that special something.

07-21-2011 03:36:19 | More by zeledonia
Klym

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Not sure I've ever seen a beer with a body that looks this much like coca cola, aside from the two finger tan head that pops up and dies down soon after. Some lacing, but patchy.

S: Roasted coconut is, go figure, very prevalent. Along with that is nuts, toasted wheat, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Sweet toasted coconut is followed by a bitter roasted grain taste that dies off with a mixture of both. Definitely, unimistakably a coconut porter. I really love the taste of coconut in this but I'm not sure it has that much more going on, and the slightly bitter toasted grain touch at the end isn't too helpful to the enjoyment of this beer.

M: Mouthfeel is a little bit watery. I think given the coconut flavor, it could shoot for a creamier mouthfeel. Carbonation is prickly and soda-like, again, I think that probably works against the flavor profile more than it helps it.

O: This is undeniably a tasty, coconut porter. That being said, there's a reasonably long road to perfection for this. More complexity, work on the aftertaste, a creamier body, and I think you'd have an amazing coconut porter here. As it is though, while still preferable to the majority of porters I've tried and probably the best coconut taste of any year-round beer I've had, it's just a better-than-average porter with occassionally exceptional good flavor.

07-18-2011 21:24:03 | More by Klym
Brent

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

I dig this interesting twist. Dark cocoa color, a whiff of unsweetened chocolate in the aroma. First sip creates a distinct impression of . . . I'm not kidding . . Tootsie Roll. Mild milk chocolate, light brown sugar. It wasn't until half-way through the beer, and after it warmed a bit, that I was able to parse-out the coconut. At that point, my impression was a bit of Mounds candy bar. Bottom line - candy counter in a can.

07-18-2011 15:29:39 | More by Brent
Alieniloquium

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz. can poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Dark brown, almost black, body through which almost no light passes. Pours with a small tan off-white head that dissipates quickly. Whispy lacing.

Smell - Roasted malt up front with a great coconut aroma. Smells sweet from the coconut. Intriguing.

Taste - Perhaps a bit more like a regular porter than the intricacies of the aroma belied. Roasty and chocolatey for sure. The coconut really only comes through in the end, staving off a bitter finish with a slight sweetness. Nice, but not amazing.

Mouthfeel - Thin, as I would expect, but not what I like. Taste comes and goes quickly.

Overall - The taste is nowhere near as exciting as the aroma, but it does taste pretty good. Glad I had it.

07-15-2011 04:07:48 | More by Alieniloquium
trxxpaxxs

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Deep brown, almost black but not quite. Reminds me of a bad cup of coffee. Has a nice tan head that thins quickly. Minimal lacing.

S: Toasted oats, malts, coffee, and chocolate. I can't really smell any coconut.

T: Tastes like a typical porter. Thin bit toasty, and a little burnt (in a good way). I get a slight roasted essence followed by some nice sweetness. Not overly sweet, but almost a chocolate milk like flavor. Again, I'm not sure if I can pick up on the coconut. Perhaps coconut has a more subtle flavor that I'm just blatantly missing.

M: Thin but creamy (if that makes any sense). I will reiterate that it reminds me a bit of chocolate milk. It doesn't envelop the palate with sticky sweet notes.

D: An easy drinking beer. Nothing overpowering. Really solid. I like it, but I'd probably move on after a second glass.

O: I really like this beer, but I don't think it's anything really special. I'm glad to have tried it and would like to try it again in the future, but I'm not in a rush to seek it out.

07-09-2011 16:23:38 | More by trxxpaxxs
MarkVegas

Nevada

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a very dark brown color with a tan head with some lacing

Nose has roasted malt right off the bat, then some chocolate, then lastly the sweet coconut to round it out.

Tastes just like it smells malty, chocolaty, with some coconut characteristics to round it out. Tastes like a night on a Hawaiian beach.

Mouthfeel is like it should be. Medium body and pretty good carbonation.

Overall this beer is exactly what a "Hawaiian Porter" should be. Paradise in a can. Love this beer for what it is, a Coconut Porter.
I've had this beer more than once and thoroughly enjoy it every time I have it.

07-09-2011 06:43:25 | More by MarkVegas
schwaeh

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz can received from scotchboy. Canned on 3/1/11.

A: pours black with a full finger creme colored head that slowly fades. Nice lookin' porter.

S: Smells of deep roasted malts, vanilla, and coconut cream. Some nuttiness from the coconut shell I assume. Reminds me of some type of ice cream.

T: This tastes very nice even though I don't enjoy coconut. Coconut, vanilla, caramel, chocolate and roasted malts. Leaves a chocolate aftertaste with some slight hop bitterness once the coconut fades from your tongue.

M: The mouthfeel is top notch. This porter is very creamy allowing it to coat your mouth with the pleasant flavors. Good carbonation.

O: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, due to my aforementioned thoughts on coconut. This is as refreshing and Hawaiian as any porter could hope to be. I'm very glad I got to try this beer, since it gets mentioned all the time. Definitely worth a stab.

07-09-2011 03:56:24 | More by schwaeh
armock

Can from Preey's Liquor in Livermore, CA

A - Poured a brown color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of roasted malt that gives off chocolate scents along with some coconut

T - Like the nose starts off roasty and chocolaty the coconut come out in the finish and tastes stronger than it smells

M - This beer has a thin body with medium carbonation to it

O - This is a pretty good beer generally I'm not into coconut but I liked what it added to the taste this one is worth picking up sometime if you see it around

07-07-2011 01:26:55 | More by armock
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

what a great beer. i have had the pleasure of trying this one soo many times. poured from a can to a pint glass

nice burnt amber color with a smooth and even head of off white that coats the sides of the glass and really offers up a nice and well rounded view.

aroma of caramel, coconut, vanilla, other sweet notes, lots of stuff going on here but maintainig its session drinkable factor the whole time. smooth and creamy with lots of caramel and hints of grain bouncing around all over, clean finish with just the right amount of flavor.

overall an outstanding beer i would love to try again

07-06-2011 01:49:48 | More by mikesgroove
SubpoenaDeuces

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Maui coconut porter 5 abv,

A: This beer has a low viscosity with small cola bubbles. There is a dr pepper color at the edges

S: It smells like a solid porter with the traditional chocolate and malt, however, this imparts strong smells like macaroons and caramel. It feels like a watery bakery, something like sugary sweetness whose succor has not been beat from the cane.

T: The taste is a light sweet roasted nut with mild coco malt. There is no middle, however, the one noteworthy taste is a praiseworthy coconut finish with fleeting dryness. Ultimately, it is disheartening to close the taste with a disappointing watery residual

M: Minimal coating is presented throughout with no exceptional stickiness. Not terribly filling and the transportation costs make this too expensive to be considered for a worthy session beer either.

D: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer, however, it’s greatest virtue serves as its greatest vice. It just isn’t interesting to mow through coconut after coconut. It’s like making out with an Almond Joy technician for an hour. The coconut is delicious but after a while you want to move on, you grow up, you stop eating Snoballs and you seek more from life.

Narrative: Day 157, the sand seems to have retreated to a more south eastern sedimentation, signaling the coming of the vernal equinox. I never thought that I would spend almost a half year on this god forsaken island but here I am, carving my exploits into another coconut tree using coconut shards to commemorate this day. Milk in milk out. It seems coconuts are the only vexing produce available and I long for variety. A crate washed up on shore and I prayed for provisions or a flare gun, lamentably, only a driftwood case of Coppertone presented itself. The smell was too much to bear. I fear that I am going mad sustaining only on a diet of coconuts. There is a pun available somewhere but my rancid coconut breath can hardly utter such trifles. I long to hold my beloved and drink a pina colada with her as soon as I escape; someday.

07-05-2011 07:59:20 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.