CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
CBlack85

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to Beertunes for this one.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Beer pours black, nearly devoid of all highlights with about 2 fingers worth of dense dark tan head. Very stout-esque

The aroma is big on chocolate, with hints of vanilla, and just a little roasty character. I had to really search to find a little bit of coconut in the nose.

Slightly bitter chocolate and roasted malts are featured, with bits of vanilla, coffee, coconut, and just the slightest bit of hop character. Really, the coconut seems like an afterthought, just enough to make the beer interesting but not enough to overpower the beer. Medium bodied and mildly carbonated. Slightly slick on the toungue and very easy to drink. The beer really opens up as it warms.

Overall, this is a great beer. Very well crafted, a great porter with or without the coconut.

07-28-2011 02:35:11 | More by CBlack85
BeanBone

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: A dark brown, very nearly black body with a few stray brown highlights. Up top, two fingers of creamy brownish head that burn off in average time and leaves great lacing.

Aroma: Lots of sweet, deeply roasty, and husky malt with notes of baker’s chocolate and dark coffee. The coconut is there if you go looking; it’s a nice subtle toasty presence around the edges.

Flavor: Again, lots of dark-roasted husky malt with notes of smoke, dark coffee, dark chocolate, and a hint of dark fruit. The coconut is subtle in the flavor too, just adding a little bit of toasty and husky coconut character. There’s nice bitterness from the hops, but not much else. Husky dark malt and a hint of coconut in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy with a drying finish.

Drinkability: Easily quaffable for the fans of dark beers, I could throw back a few of these with ease.

Verdict: Coconut Porter is a solid little Porter and perfect for those that love lots of roasty malt in their porters. As long as you don’t go in looking for heaps of coconut, you’ll be fine. Worth the wait for me.

07-24-2011 06:11:59 | More by BeanBone
zeledonia

Canned 4 March 2011.

Pours very dark brown, essentially black, but brown at the edges. Nice dense dark tan head, okay retention, just a bit of lacing. Looks like a typical American porter.

Lots of roast in the smell, a bit burnt, and a woody smell that I think is coming from the coconut. Has a nice touch of sweetness lurking in the background, giving the smell some body. Good, but nothing special.

Tastes pretty good. Again, lots of dark roast, a touch of char. Quite malty, but bitter and dark due to the heavy roast. I don't pick up the coconut at all, except maybe a hint hiding back there with the sweetness. Finish is smooth, just gradually fading away with a good combination of rising sweetness and fading bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, carbonation a little higher than I expect for a porter, but it works just fine.

Good all across the board. Doesn't really stand out in any way, but it's very solid. One of the better porters I've had, but a step below the top ones in complexity, and lacking that special something.

07-21-2011 03:36:19 | More by zeledonia
Klym

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured into a stone nonic.

A: Not sure I've ever seen a beer with a body that looks this much like coca cola, aside from the two finger tan head that pops up and dies down soon after. Some lacing, but patchy.

S: Roasted coconut is, go figure, very prevalent. Along with that is nuts, toasted wheat, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Sweet toasted coconut is followed by a bitter roasted grain taste that dies off with a mixture of both. Definitely, unimistakably a coconut porter. I really love the taste of coconut in this but I'm not sure it has that much more going on, and the slightly bitter toasted grain touch at the end isn't too helpful to the enjoyment of this beer.

M: Mouthfeel is a little bit watery. I think given the coconut flavor, it could shoot for a creamier mouthfeel. Carbonation is prickly and soda-like, again, I think that probably works against the flavor profile more than it helps it.

O: This is undeniably a tasty, coconut porter. That being said, there's a reasonably long road to perfection for this. More complexity, work on the aftertaste, a creamier body, and I think you'd have an amazing coconut porter here. As it is though, while still preferable to the majority of porters I've tried and probably the best coconut taste of any year-round beer I've had, it's just a better-than-average porter with occassionally exceptional good flavor.

07-18-2011 21:24:03 | More by Klym
Brent

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

I dig this interesting twist. Dark cocoa color, a whiff of unsweetened chocolate in the aroma. First sip creates a distinct impression of . . . I'm not kidding . . Tootsie Roll. Mild milk chocolate, light brown sugar. It wasn't until half-way through the beer, and after it warmed a bit, that I was able to parse-out the coconut. At that point, my impression was a bit of Mounds candy bar. Bottom line - candy counter in a can.

07-18-2011 15:29:39 | More by Brent
Alieniloquium

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz. can poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Dark brown, almost black, body through which almost no light passes. Pours with a small tan off-white head that dissipates quickly. Whispy lacing.

Smell - Roasted malt up front with a great coconut aroma. Smells sweet from the coconut. Intriguing.

Taste - Perhaps a bit more like a regular porter than the intricacies of the aroma belied. Roasty and chocolatey for sure. The coconut really only comes through in the end, staving off a bitter finish with a slight sweetness. Nice, but not amazing.

Mouthfeel - Thin, as I would expect, but not what I like. Taste comes and goes quickly.

Overall - The taste is nowhere near as exciting as the aroma, but it does taste pretty good. Glad I had it.

07-15-2011 04:07:48 | More by Alieniloquium
trxxpaxxs

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Deep brown, almost black but not quite. Reminds me of a bad cup of coffee. Has a nice tan head that thins quickly. Minimal lacing.

S: Toasted oats, malts, coffee, and chocolate. I can't really smell any coconut.

T: Tastes like a typical porter. Thin bit toasty, and a little burnt (in a good way). I get a slight roasted essence followed by some nice sweetness. Not overly sweet, but almost a chocolate milk like flavor. Again, I'm not sure if I can pick up on the coconut. Perhaps coconut has a more subtle flavor that I'm just blatantly missing.

M: Thin but creamy (if that makes any sense). I will reiterate that it reminds me a bit of chocolate milk. It doesn't envelop the palate with sticky sweet notes.

D: An easy drinking beer. Nothing overpowering. Really solid. I like it, but I'd probably move on after a second glass.

O: I really like this beer, but I don't think it's anything really special. I'm glad to have tried it and would like to try it again in the future, but I'm not in a rush to seek it out.

07-09-2011 16:23:38 | More by trxxpaxxs
MarkVegas

Nevada

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a very dark brown color with a tan head with some lacing

Nose has roasted malt right off the bat, then some chocolate, then lastly the sweet coconut to round it out.

Tastes just like it smells malty, chocolaty, with some coconut characteristics to round it out. Tastes like a night on a Hawaiian beach.

Mouthfeel is like it should be. Medium body and pretty good carbonation.

Overall this beer is exactly what a "Hawaiian Porter" should be. Paradise in a can. Love this beer for what it is, a Coconut Porter.
I've had this beer more than once and thoroughly enjoy it every time I have it.

07-09-2011 06:43:25 | More by MarkVegas
schwaeh

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz can received from scotchboy. Canned on 3/1/11.

A: pours black with a full finger creme colored head that slowly fades. Nice lookin' porter.

S: Smells of deep roasted malts, vanilla, and coconut cream. Some nuttiness from the coconut shell I assume. Reminds me of some type of ice cream.

T: This tastes very nice even though I don't enjoy coconut. Coconut, vanilla, caramel, chocolate and roasted malts. Leaves a chocolate aftertaste with some slight hop bitterness once the coconut fades from your tongue.

M: The mouthfeel is top notch. This porter is very creamy allowing it to coat your mouth with the pleasant flavors. Good carbonation.

O: I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, due to my aforementioned thoughts on coconut. This is as refreshing and Hawaiian as any porter could hope to be. I'm very glad I got to try this beer, since it gets mentioned all the time. Definitely worth a stab.

07-09-2011 03:56:24 | More by schwaeh
armock

Can from Preey's Liquor in Livermore, CA

A - Poured a brown color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of roasted malt that gives off chocolate scents along with some coconut

T - Like the nose starts off roasty and chocolaty the coconut come out in the finish and tastes stronger than it smells

M - This beer has a thin body with medium carbonation to it

O - This is a pretty good beer generally I'm not into coconut but I liked what it added to the taste this one is worth picking up sometime if you see it around

07-07-2011 01:26:55 | More by armock
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

what a great beer. i have had the pleasure of trying this one soo many times. poured from a can to a pint glass

nice burnt amber color with a smooth and even head of off white that coats the sides of the glass and really offers up a nice and well rounded view.

aroma of caramel, coconut, vanilla, other sweet notes, lots of stuff going on here but maintainig its session drinkable factor the whole time. smooth and creamy with lots of caramel and hints of grain bouncing around all over, clean finish with just the right amount of flavor.

overall an outstanding beer i would love to try again

07-06-2011 01:49:48 | More by mikesgroove
SubpoenaDeuces

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Maui coconut porter 5 abv,

A: This beer has a low viscosity with small cola bubbles. There is a dr pepper color at the edges

S: It smells like a solid porter with the traditional chocolate and malt, however, this imparts strong smells like macaroons and caramel. It feels like a watery bakery, something like sugary sweetness whose succor has not been beat from the cane.

T: The taste is a light sweet roasted nut with mild coco malt. There is no middle, however, the one noteworthy taste is a praiseworthy coconut finish with fleeting dryness. Ultimately, it is disheartening to close the taste with a disappointing watery residual

M: Minimal coating is presented throughout with no exceptional stickiness. Not terribly filling and the transportation costs make this too expensive to be considered for a worthy session beer either.

D: This is an exceptionally drinkable beer, however, it’s greatest virtue serves as its greatest vice. It just isn’t interesting to mow through coconut after coconut. It’s like making out with an Almond Joy technician for an hour. The coconut is delicious but after a while you want to move on, you grow up, you stop eating Snoballs and you seek more from life.

Narrative: Day 157, the sand seems to have retreated to a more south eastern sedimentation, signaling the coming of the vernal equinox. I never thought that I would spend almost a half year on this god forsaken island but here I am, carving my exploits into another coconut tree using coconut shards to commemorate this day. Milk in milk out. It seems coconuts are the only vexing produce available and I long for variety. A crate washed up on shore and I prayed for provisions or a flare gun, lamentably, only a driftwood case of Coppertone presented itself. The smell was too much to bear. I fear that I am going mad sustaining only on a diet of coconuts. There is a pun available somewhere but my rancid coconut breath can hardly utter such trifles. I long to hold my beloved and drink a pina colada with her as soon as I escape; someday.

07-05-2011 07:59:20 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
AdamBear

3.8/5  rDev -4%

A-dark brown, near black, with a nice tan head

S-creamy iced latte with just a hint of coconut. medium strength

T-comes in with a thick taste of ground coffee. it slowly transitions to a long lasting after-taste of ground coffee with a hint of chocolate coconut. very simple

M-thick, soft carbonation with a dry finish

O-definitely tasty but i don't find any uniqueness to it. i was hoping to find more coconut in this. this is just average.

07-04-2011 07:18:16 | More by AdamBear
suspect

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip. Big thanks to my buddy Chris for bringing this back from the Mountain Brewers Festival.

A: Pours a deep deep brown - almost black. Aggressive, center pour leads to a beautiful mocha 2 finger had that disappears relatively quickly leaving a thin ring along the top. Lacing is spotty and ind inconsistent. This is a beautiful looking beer.

S: Toasted malts and barley, chocolate and coffee are the highlights of this brew. I'll take the brewer's word for it that there is coconut in here cuz the other notes are just really in your face - in a good way.

T: Following the nose almost to the T - with the coffee and chocolate taking center stage with the toasted malts following closely behind. I was able to pick up faint coconut on the tongue which was welcome. Hops add to the bitterness of the brew towards the end of the swallow.

M: Thick and chewy, crisp and refreshing. Plenty of carbonation. Sticky coating leaves a wonderfully bitter aftertaste.

O: This is a really delicious beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it and I'll be looking for more of this as well as the Imperial. Both really wonderful brews.

07-02-2011 01:35:54 | More by suspect
Greencoat

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Don't take my word on this as written in stone - my light bulb burned out just before popping this sucker. Appears to be very dark brown without any light penetration. Two finger tan head quickly dissolves into a half-finger and there it stays.

S: Nose is delicious, like sweet milk chocolate and toasted barley.

T: Very nice malt landscape with this one. If it wasn't called the CoCoNut Porter, I'd have never guessed there was coconut in it. This isn't a bad thing, and I won't dock points for it. It's got a bit of bitterness both derived from hop and some roasted grain. Chocolate flavors are the real showcase of this beer. Very tasty!

M: I'm not sure if it's from the coconut or not, but this has a fairly creamy body that's very evident right before the bitter finish sweeps it away.

O: If this were available in my state, I'd drink on it with decent regularity. Since it isn't, I look forward to my next opportunity to drink it again.

06-27-2011 02:07:20 | More by Greencoat
ktrillionaire

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Big thanks to Matty D. Martin for the share. Out of a 4-pack, two seemed borderline infected, and two are pretty good. This review is for a good can. The brew pours a coffee-brown hue, visibly thinner, and is capped with a tan froth that recedes quickly. The nose offers some roastiness and some small coffee hints. I don't get coconut aromatically. The flavor actually reveals a bit coconut, just a hint. It is not very sweet, more of a straight-up porter, offering notes of roast, coffee grounds, and herbal hoppiness. As it airs out, the coconut is more pronounced. The feel is relatively thin. Overall, pretty nice, but not outstanding; I wish this beer was good as it theoretically sounds.

06-26-2011 17:21:46 | More by ktrillionaire
ocelot2500

Arizona

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a deep cola color with a small light brown head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. Head fades too fast.

Smells is of some mocha like roasted malts.

Tastes of chocolaty malts rounded out by coconut. Roasted malts hit up front and give off some sweet chocolate along with mild coffee notes. Coconut makes an appearance on the end and adds depth to make this very tasty. A good combination of flavors that are not overdone.

Mouthfeel is medium, but carbonation is a little flat. I can get some creaminess, but I expect more.

Overall, I was fairly surprised by this given some of the other Maui brews and a large amount competition from other American porters.

06-26-2011 01:36:22 | More by ocelot2500
Allpe45

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz can

Appears black, opaque, with a fluffy ilght brown head. Shortens quickly but leaves some lacing.

Some burnt smells, roasty malt, coffee, and extremely faint coconut.

Roast and burnt flavors up front, followed by bitter chocolate and earthy hops. Coconut on the back end with a lingering fresh sweetness.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, smooth and creamy, with a quick finish.

Well balanced, pretty good but not amazing.

06-25-2011 00:02:04 | More by Allpe45
spicelab

Australia

4.08/5  rDev +3%

With thanks to Mr Kennedy for being the Maui to Oz beer-mule.

Dark chocolate colour, with a two-finger coffee-coloured head that's on the light and fluffy side. Vanishes over a few minutes to leave a ring at the interface.

Sweeter than it is roasty, with gobloads of milk chocolate, latte, strawberries and cream, muscovado sugar - and certainly coconut. The roasted malt character is seriously nutty and a little woody. Yum-o.

Taste marginally favours the roasty side, with iced coffee, wood, coconut, dark sugar and milk chocolate. Nicely developed flavours and very tasty.

Very kind in the mouth with great even-ness across the palate. Medium bodied, largely a product of quite lively carbonation.

Drinkability is excellent. The coconut is calibrated to perfection and does not obscure the base porter characteristics at all, which are anyway very solid. Really dig this.

06-24-2011 11:10:44 | More by spicelab
DoctorDog

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A- Very dark mahogany, nearly black, with some ruby highlights peeking out. Pours with ~3 fingers of brown, effervescent head, which fades into a thin cap.

S- Nutty and roasty dark malts...coffee and coconut.

T- Roasty, burnt, chocolate and coffee, with the coconut tinge providing a nice smoothing of the flavors on the finish.

M- Moderate carbonation. A nice, smooth, almost creamy medium-full feel...

O- Good. Flavorful, easy drinking, and with a great feel...too bad I only have one....

Future outlook: Really exceeded expectations....too bad it was nabbed in California, and is not available here.

06-22-2011 03:02:56 | More by DoctorDog
mltobin

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Picked up a can at Whole Foods , Austin.

Appearance is a dark brown color with a nice mocha head. Just as the name would lead you to believe, this one has a pleasant aroma. There is coconut, roasted malts, some coffee. Upon sipping this interesting beer, I taste some dark coffee, roasted malts and yes, some coconut, but nothing overpowering or too aggressive. MF leans towards full bodied, with a velvet texture. This one was fun to try, would be nice if some of this made it out closer to Connecticut.

06-21-2011 23:34:06 | More by mltobin
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Acquired via trade from turfy so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, a little coconut and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a rich black coffee flavor followed by background flavors of milk chocolate, vanilla and a touch of coconut. The malt character is hearty and the hops presence is mild but both are on-target for the style and provide a good balance. The coconut flavor is a bit more subdued than I had anticipated, but it’s a nice complementary flavor in the beer. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, decent kick, good variation of style, this is a good beer to drink for a long time if you’re looking for something a bit different within the style.

06-21-2011 04:15:26 | More by TheManiacalOne
doughanson78

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -12.9%

12oz. can poured into a snifter.

A: Black, very dark. Finger and a half tan head. Dissipates pretty quickly. Hardly any lacing. Fairly carbonated.

S: Alcohol up front. Roasted coffee and chocolate in the background. Little toastiness. Maybe the slightest hint of coconut.

T: Roasted coffee. Nice toasted flavor. Slight chocolate hints. Again maybe getting a tad of coconut. No alcohol as in the smell.

M: Fairly thin for the style. Maybe a little to much carbonation.

O: A decent porter. Like the toasty flavor. Didn't get the coconut flavor I was hoping for. If there would have been a bigger coconut presence, and the smell was bette, this would've been an A beer.

06-18-2011 19:44:23 | More by doughanson78
bbeane

4.08/5  rDev +3%

A- Poured into an oversized DFH snifter... starts with a partially creamy, partially fizzy head that recedes quickly leaving little lacing. Beer is black in color with very little if any light coming through when held toward the light

S- Smells very chocolatey, VERY chocolatey at first wiff... after some swirls of the snifter a bit more of the burnt toasty notes come through

T- Very nice. Nicely balanced between chocolatey and toasty flavor... bit more chocolate at the start and a bit more burnt in the finish. Didn't really get much from the toasted coconut, but very enjoyeable all the same

M- Full body with light carbonation

O- This is gonna get a higher than average overall from me just because it seems its harder to find great flavorful stouts and porters like this one with a somewhat lower abv like this one ( My can says 5.7% despite the 6% listed on BA )

CHEERS!!

06-16-2011 01:34:01 | More by bbeane
thegodfather1076

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. can dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very Cool graphics and coloring on the can.

Appearance - Poured a deep dark brown witha 2 finger tan brown head that slowley dissipated into a nice foam ring. Light lacing on the glass the whole way down.

Smell - A very slight hint of coconut but not as much as I expected. Smells of nice toasted chocolate and coffee.

Taste - Chocolaty and a major coffee influence. Toasted coconut on the back end. Not much coconut at first but the more this warmed up the more the coconut flavor came through.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel. A medium amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Highly drinkable because of the medium body and great flavor.

This beer was excellent. I recieved this beer in a trade with MrHirschybar and really wish I was able to get it in my area. Highly recommend!!!

06-14-2011 23:12:56 | More by thegodfather1076
CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.