CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-18-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Had heard about this, but saw it for the first time in this area yesterday. Always excited to try craft can offerings.

A - Pours a dark black color with a thin tan head and good lacing.

S - Strong notes of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee present. A little bit of nutty sweetness. The coconut is present, but more in the general sweetness of the smell than any particular coconut aroma.

T - Chocolate, toffee and roasted malt flavors. Once again, the coconut accounts more for sweetness. While the coconut isn't as strong as I thought, this is a really tasty and well-balanced porter.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, pretty smooth drinker.

O - Maui's Coconut Porter is a great take on the porter style. I didn't find the coconut to be all that strong, but I have a feeling it accounts for the sweetness and great balance. Extremely well done and I look forward to having this brew again and Maui's other beers.

Last week was the first time I ever saw Maui Brewing in my area, and I was intrigued.

A - Very dark brew, nearly black, with a tan head about a finger and a half in thickness. Left some good lacing.

S - Strong on chocolate and coffee, with a hint of coconut. Just a hint. A pleasing smell all in all.

T - Very well balanced brew. Chocolate, coffee, and hazelnut flavors start off, followed by some roasty malts, then finishes with some hop bite and light coconut flavor. The coconut does add a nice dimension to the porter and mixes well with the other flavors.

M - Fairly light, very drinkable for a porter.

O - A fine porter that I would buy more often if it wasn't so expensive.

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

The first thought when I took a sniff was "WOW!" Immediately the scent of toasted coconut hits the senses like no other. Its exactly like a cookie with coconut on top that got a little burnt while baking. Slightly sweet too, with a roughly equal amount of roast as well. Phenomenal aroma, I just can't stop smelling it!

Pours out a very dark brown, almost black. It highlights a moderate-dark brown around the edges when held to light. The head was a medium mocha color that poured out to about a finger's worth, but dissipated into the beer extremely quickly leaving no sign that it was ever there. Lacing is average.

CoCoNut PorTeR gives me this amazing roast right up front. It's not overwhelming, nor underwhelming.. it's just right. I can't say it's a coffee-like roast either, as I don't get any of that coffee bean flavor in this either. The mid-palate brings on that toasted coconut mentioned earlier. The coconut is intensified on the palate by the aroma, and it lasts well through the finish and aftertaste. Job well done!

The mouthfeel of this beer is quite nice, carbonation and body are both on the moderate side, and drinkability is actually quite high - not session able, but pretty good. Overall it is an extremely enjoyable experience drinking this beer.

A: Dark black in the glass, the head is a solid mass of tan brown foam. It's kind of impressive how solid the head is.

S: There is a nice bready note, as well as a lot of cocoa powder chocolate. The coconut is there in the finish, although it gets a little lost in the dark grains.

T: The cocoa powder smell comes through again in the flavor as well as some roasted grains. The finish has a bit of coffee to it as well as a hint of the coconut. There is almost a little bit of a milk stout thing going on.

M: Medium in body. The carbonation is fine in size, and medium in quantity. There is a really creamy quality to this.

O: Overall I really like it, rich and chocolaty. Although I wish there was a bit more of the toasted coconut flavor in there.

4.17/5  rDev +5%

Just got this in a Total Wine Alexandria, thought i would give it a go. pretty slandered porter appearance: dark brown with tan head that is retained the whole time. smells of coffee and coconut(go figure). wow the taste is really exceptional, with a rosty coffee note fallowed by lots o co-co-nut. a solid porter with a nice twist. the coconut really works with the other flavors,looks like ill getting a four pack

4.94/5  rDev +24.4%

Epic brew from Maui! Light nutty brown pour from 12oz. can. Nice two finger frothy head and a real coconut aroma. The coconut hits the nose immediately and is a proper introduction to what flavor was to come. Great coconut flavor, not overly sweet, and well balanced with a malty mocha notes. The creaminess of the beer is spectacular, it's richness in body is truely unique in my experience with porters. Grade A Maui, hopefully I won't have to drive 12 hours to get your next offering!

My first from Maui Brewing Co. and hopefully not my last.

Pours a 2 finger light brown creamy head that displayed pretty good retention atop this dark brown brew. The scent reveals coffee, vanilla, and loads of roasted malts. The taste follows very closely showcasing the roasted malts allowing a hint of bitterness to poke through. The body is medium and well carbonated.

Overall I found this to be a highly enjoyable beer that I am happy to know is available whenever I crave it again!

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Cans are great, except they're a pain in the ass to pour slowly into a glass. I ended up having some run down the side of the can.

A: Dark brown, appearing nearly black except as light passes through. Excellent fluffy tan head with great foamy lacing.

S: I get a lot of chocolate and coffee smell from the beer. I pick a roasted coconut smell too. It smells just like a chocolate coconut doughnut sitting next to a cup of coffee.

T: It tastes very good. I pick up a lot of the same flavors as I smelled...the same coffee and coconut. I like that I can taste the coconut. It doesn't have the same chocolate flavor that pops out from the smell...tastes like a plain coconut doughnut.

M: The beer is a bit thin as far as porters are concerned. It's a lighter bodied beer that is very easy to drink. I would have liked more body to the beer. The bitterness and carbonation are nice though, which makes up for the body.

O: Overall I would drink it again. It's not just a novelty coconut beer. It's actually very good for a porter. Again, I wish there was more body...but the flavor stands out very well. I would drink it again, and I would recommend it.

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.