CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

This is the first "craft" beer I've had in a can, so I was quite excited to try it.

The beer is very dark brown in appearance, almost black. Light brown head, about 1/4 inch thick and it dissipated quickly.

The smell was very pleasant, with a slight coconut aroma and a hint nuttiness.

The beer had a roasted barely taste, with faint carmel flavors. Unfortunately I could not taste any coconut.

Mouthfeel was just average. I found the beer had a lot of carbonation, almost a bit too much.

Overall, I thought the beer was not too complex, but had a rather one dimensional flavor. Still, it was quite enjoyable and worth a try.

3.71/5  rDev -6.5%

Received as an extra from Destral (I think). Thanks man!

I mean seriously, who doesn't want to drink something that says 'with hand toasted coconuts'? It's already got 3/4 of the people in its corner due to the packaging.

A- Nice and dark, like daddy likes 'em.

S- I know my sense of smell is for shit, but I'm getting very little scent from this.

T- Pretty nice. A little too much carbonation, but good flavor. Plus, as an extra, this shit just looks good when you open it up, pretty unique for us down in FL.

M- Good, a little light but not bad.

O- Not too bad at all. It's no Duck Rabbit (or whatever the hell they call it) Baltic Porter or Cigar City Jose Marti Porter but it definitely is worth a try.

3.71/5  rDev -6.5%

Chilled can into a glass.

A: Pours a black body with brown tones to it, capped by a finger of dark tan head. Retains poorly, receding into a thin cap on top with streaks of lacing down the sides.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, and light coffee. I'm surprised that there isn't much coconut in the aroma; it smells to me like any other porter.

T: Coconut and roasted malt up front -- here's where the smell was lacking. Light coffee and light dark chocolate in the mid-taste, pulling into a sweet, but lightly bitter, finish where coconut reappears with vanilla.

M: Medium-full body, moderate carbonation. Doesn't get too sticky or cloying at first, though it started getting too much by the end of the can.

D: I thought this was an interesting take on the style. I could go for another one sometime.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a dark brown. Head is decently dark as well. Head bubbles down to a few foamy islands here and there.

S-Traditional Porter notes. Chocolate and coffee…not picking up much coconut sadly. I really wanted this beer to just wreak of coconut.

T-Again, mostly straight Porter. I do pick up some coconut but not nearly as much as I wanted. I also get a slight metallic twang too unfortunately. Its actually pretty good but if I tried this blind I know I wouldn't label this a coconut Porter.

M-Medium bodied. Lightly bitter. Drinkable with a good overall feel and bubbles that tickle.

O/D-Its still a solid beer but I would label this a big disappointment. I have always wanted to try this because I thought I would be getting some huge coconut notes. I leave this beer slightly unhappy. A good Porter, nothing more.

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

Can poured into my Stone IRS tulip. Canned 7/21/11.

A- Pours a very dark brown-black with a very foamy jagged khaki colored head. Lots of bubbles floating up to the top. No visible lacing on the glass.

S- Smells of dark chocolate, roasted coconut, bready, yeasty, dark fruits, oats.

T- Identical to the nose. Same notes, a little more toasted coconut on the aroma side of the house but still delicious. Very tasty porter, alot going on.

M- Slick mouthfeel, too much carbonation, a little thin but very drinkable.

O- A delicious porter and glad i get to enjoy it regularly.

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

I would've been happy with just one can Brian! Enjoyed from an oversized tulip.

Pour is dark brown, very nearly black. There's a tight half-finger brown head that quickly fades. Tiny, soda-like bubbles cling to the glass and then wash down into the body of the beer.

My first impression of the aroma is that this is a very chocolate-forward beer. Milk and semisweet chocolate come through in near-equal proportions. There's a touch of coffee, some caramel, and a little vanilla, too. But alas, no coconut.

Surprisingly, there's not too much chocolate in the taste. There is, however, a lot of vanilla - not a cloying, artificial vanilla but a more natural, vanilla bean flavor. There's a little hazelnut aftertaste as well. A sweet beer that works well in a 12 oz. format - I don't think I could put down too much more of this.

Carbonation is on the high side. For a beer so rich and sweet, a smoother mouthfeel would be nice.

I don't know if I'd ever peg this for a coconut beer, but it is very pleasant. Simple and drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev -6%

A- Pours an impenetrable black. An aggressive pour leads to two fingers of head- cocoa colored. This looks more like a stout, especially with the head.

S- Smells very roast;, liquid smoke; sap leaking out of a campfire log; bittersweet chocolate. I'm supposed to be smelling coconut right? I'm not getting any.

T- Taste is also very roasty. Maybe more nutty, I might be able to get some coconut essence wafting up off my tongue and into my nostrils. Some more coffee flavor that wasn't in the smell. Yeah and the coconut is getting stronger with each sip- it's almost a coconut butter/oil kind of taste- still not super strong, but there at least.

M- No complaining about the mouthfeel. Some astringency that matches what I want out of a porter.

O- This is good, but somewhat pedestrian. I was hoping for something that knocks my socks off and this isn't it it. But still good.

3.73/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Ruby Brown with a one inch dark tan head.

Smell: Light roast, the aroma is a little tight at first.

Taste: Malted milk chocolate with very faint hints of coconut, I expected it to be a little assertive in its coconut flavors but was happily dissappointed that it wasn't over the top.

Mouthfeel: Reminds me a little of a chocolate or milk stout in texture, fairly creamy and not hoppy at all.

Drinkability: The name is somewhat misleading, but a porter I will drink again. The fact that it comes in a can is a plus too, at least for those looking to take it to an outdoor venue where glass is not allowed or advised.

3.74/5  rDev -5.8%

From a can into a Bell's Tulip glass.

Has a one finger cream color head that formed quickly but disappeared just as soon. One aspect of the appearance of this beer is that there was a lot of carbonation trailing up it and it just literally destroyed the head. With all of the initial carbonation, I would have thought that I had a cola poured instead of a beer. The color is a dark and deep brown that no light gets though and is rather reflective.

S - Light hints of vanilla and coconut seem to come forth from the nose. There is also a hint of roasted cocoa and coffee as well. The nose is rather big and each sniff seems to give it a little bit different experience.

T - The taste is a mixture of sweet vanilla on the front and roasted chocolate on the back side. Mixed in with the vanilla, I get a slight hint of coconut but not really as much. It seems to almost give a unique taste to the vanilla more than standing out by itself. I can't really explain how the coconut influences the vanilla taste of the beer other than to say that it has a definite effect that I notice. It almost makes the vanilla have more of a natural taste to it; could even say that it reminds me a bit of a toasted marshmallow flavor. Additionally, it makes the transition towards the roasted flavors more natural and smooth. The roasted flavors on the back side are light and make this beer stand on the sweeter side for a porter. The aftertaste leaves a lasting cocoa tingle that sits on the tongue.

MF - Have to say this does have a ton of carbonation even after I let it sit for awhile. The body is a little light for a porter. The carbonation seems really out of place in this beer given the flavors and leaves a tingle that carries on a bit too much for my taste. After the carbonation does tame down a bit after leaving the beer for about 30 minutes I could get a hint of the MF becoming creamier yet still a ton of carboation in it.

D - Overall, this is a porter worth a try for the novelty of it but I felt a bit let down. It was way too carbonated for my taste for a porter.r It was a bit unique with the hint of coconut but it was really barely noticeable. If you can find this easily, give it a try but if you can't then don't really go out of your way to try it.

3.74/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

355ml can poured into tulip 5/12/14

A dark cola with enough clarity to see half way to the other side under the large and loose foam that falls quickly leaving just a couple random patches of lace

S chocolate, vanilla, earthy leafy hops, coco powder, and a hint of coconut oil in the background, reminds me of tanning oil but its faint

T just a hint of char, more earthy notes, almost nutty, not far off the smell, tastes good but not all that intense

M somewhat light for a porter but the bubbles fluff it up a little, a little slick on the palate and I think there's more flavor on the finish then while your drinking it

O one of those beers that's good but could use more of everything, if they pumped up the intensity this would be memorable

I've heard about this beer and was stoked to pick it up in my local market but at nearly 16$ a 4 pack I can't see myself buying it again

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

A 355ml can with no visible BB date. Picked up a little while back from Trembling Madness in York. Can't quite fathom what the image on the can refers to.

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A deep brown hue that appears pitch black in the glass. Produces a large head of creamy beige foam with good retention; this slowly subsides to a thick surface layer. Settling sediment indicates can-conditioning. Aroma of rich roasted malt, toasted coconut, coffee, burnt grain, cocoa, molasses, dried fruit and faint earthy yeast. Complex and moreish.

Tastes of dark roasted malt with a nutty character and a dry, bitter finish. Notes of burnt grain, coconut, coffee, molasses/caramel, mild cocoa, faint dried fruit and earthy yeast. There is a subtle lactic hint in the background, along with a warming whiff of alcohol. Quite bitter upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and tingly, with good carbonation but rather insubstantial body. Somewhat astringent, with an aftertaste of bitter roasted malt, coconut and stewed hops.

Tasty stuff - an interesting brew. The coconut certainly comes across, but is relatively restrained and blends well with the malt. The aroma is great, but the taste seems slightly weaker and doesn't linger. The mild acidic note in the background is probably from the coconut. Body is a tad thin and could do with being thicker and creamier. However, this is a solid brew that goes down nicely. The only other coconut beer I've tried is Kona's, and this is better. Well worth giving a whirl if you come across it.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.