CoCoNut Porter - Maui Brewing Co.

CoCoNut PorterCoCoNut Porter

good

rAvg: 4
Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of CoCoNut Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 828 | Hads: 1,863
3.43/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to mnbears fan for this one, my first Hawaii beer and state tick #41.

A: A slow, straight pour into the upright glass results in a voluminous three-finger head of pillowy light-brown foam. Retention is strong, but it’s a bit light on the lace.

S: Hmm. It’s quite roasty – sharply so. Dark chocolate and ash are the most prominent aromas, although there’s definitely a hint of heavily toasted coconut as well. I was expecting something significantly sweeter, but this is certainly not bad at all.

T: Follows the nose. Coconut is present but subdued, while sharply roasty malts really carry the day. Bitter dark chocolate stands out in particular, with some dry hops bitterness complementing it on the finish. Tasty enough, but nothing to write home about.

M: A little thin, a little prickly, and not that great.

O: I’d like to rereview this one at some point in the future, as this can was nearly a year old and I have a suspicion that the coconut might have been much more of a player in a fresh can. As it was, this was a solid but unremarkable porter, and gained very little from its unique adjunct.

Cheers! (1,163 characters)

355ml can bought online from Beersofeurope.co.uk

Poured almost completely black... tan head poured fairly thick and foamy with a meringue like top.. this faded slowly to good one finger covering... some decent lacing clings to the glass throughout...

Aroma - Lots of good strong toasted bread malts mixed with strong biscuit notes... good roasted nuttiness, light vanilla, dark brown sugar / molasses sweetness, light fruits (blackcurrents, apples, prunes), earthy, some sooty traces, faint coconut...

Taste - Where is the coconut ?? I can just make out the slightest hint coming through the roasted malts but was expecting much more than this... some dark brown sugar / molasses sweetness, slightly metallic, sooty, dark druits, coffee..

Feel - Quite sharp and dry with a little creaminess underneath... medium bodied... fairly drinkable

Overall - A bit disappointed with this one... it's a pretty run of the mill porter with just the faintest trace of coconut... (969 characters)

12 ounce can bought in San Diego

A: Dark brown in color with a 1 finger tan head that has ok retention and a bit of lacing

S: The nose is very sweet and is of gummy bears with a hint of harsh coffee.

T: Well, if someone would have randomly handed me a pour of this beer and said “what’s in the flavor profile?” I would not have said coconut. With that being said, if I think about it long and hard and let the power of suggestion take over, I think I notice some coconut in the middle and finish. Mostly though it’s a fairly run of the mill, albeit slightly sweeter version of a roasty porter. Not much coffee or chocolate though, mostly toast, and a fair amount of vanilla.

M: Approriate carbonation for the style with a nice aftertaste and medium-body.

O: Glad to have tried this beer, but to me it’s more of a novelty item for the addition of the coconut than anything substantial and masterful. It kind of reminds me of a Short’s beer. (956 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a dark cola brown with a decent two finger white head that disappears rapidly. Smells like cheap milk chocolate - like easter candy or crappy foiled gelt. A little bit of coffee backs it up. The first sip is pretty nice. Very toast and malty, with the aforementioned not-so-great milk chocolate (faintly comforting). A teensy bit of nutty, coffee tinged bitterness in the back. Not half shabby - and I pretty much hate coconut in all its forms (coconut milk doesn't count... mmm curry). Here it just adds a sweetness on the tail end that I don't really mind that much. The aftertaste isn't really my favorite, but hardly offensive - the aforementioned slight bitterness complements pretty well. Overall, the coconut is relatively muted. Mouthfeel is style appropriate - medium body and silky.

If you're into coconut, this'd be right up your alley. If you aren't, and even if you have a serious aversion, its still definitely worth a try. Solid porter, but I won't traveling to the islands for it.

A note on the cans - the look like minaturized Arizona pop cans. Thanks to bbothen for the bonus - even if the can design confused me for a sec. (1,151 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Awesome head. 2+ fingers of khaki foam that protrudes from my standard pint glass. It's pillow-like, and billowing. The body, of course, is standard porter. Opaque DARK brown. No lacing.

S - Usual porter affects but with a bit of petting-zoo. And not in the good kind of spontaneously fermented "horseblanket" sort of way. Chocolate malts, y'know. Nothing standout, and the petting zoo smell is a little off-putting.

T - Taste manages to round itself out a little bit as a brew. Definite well-water aspect, with an almost metallic finish. Coconut hardly noted on the finish. After giving time to warm a little more, it comes together in a "Hey, this is a porter" way.

M - Lighter, creamy, nice carbonation.

D - There's a few aspects about this beer that would deter me from buying/seeking it out again. It definitely has potential that isn't quite realized, while I think this could just be an off batch.

Notes: After all the buzz surrounding this beer, I must admit I'm a bit dissapointed. I expected a liquid Mounds bar and got little more than a Mounds bar that was floating in some well-water for a few days.

Worth a try for those that are curious. (1,165 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13%

12oz can into tulip snifter.

The beer pours a very dark brown, near black with a frothy light brown head.

The aroma is of espresso and lightly roasted malts. Can't really pick up any coconut. Perhaps some light vanilla which may be the coconut?

The taste is again more espresso with really no coconut flavors that I can detect.

Has a good mouthfeel, medium body with active carb.

A decent porter, though I was hardly able to pick up any coconut which unfortunately makes this pretty overage overall. (504 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13%

A: Deep, dark brown with a cream colored head that disappears a little too quickly.

S: Lots of roasted malts and coffee. Not so much coconut though. Hmmm...

T: Coffee and roasted malt with some bittersweet chocolate thrown in. I was expecting this one to taste sort of like a Mounds bar, but not so much. As it warms, there's a slight hint of coconut and milk chocolate, but the sweetness stays at a minimum. The mouthfeel was super thin. (440 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for sharing this one. 12oz. can served in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured two shades shy of black. Half inch off-white head recedes into a skim. Nose is big on roasted coffee, followed by toasted coconut. Taste follows nose; roasted character is in the forefront but the coconut clearly comes out immediately after. Also picked up a milky quality. Mouthfeel is thin, slightly watery and lightly effervescent. Decent drinkability and flavor for the abv. I'm not a huge coconut fan, but this is pretty tasty. (530 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to forgetfu for this one.

A - pours a very dark brown, with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Active carbonation flows in the glass but it doesn't seem to do much justice for the head as it fades quickly leaving a decent soapy lace at first, that really ended up as very thin patchy lacing about 4oz in.

S - not bad. Pretty robust. Chocolate and coffee hit the nose followed by a wave of booze and just a hint of metallic odor. Vanilla and coconut buried very deep in this one, but they're there.

T - all the tastes as mentioned as in the nose but with a somewhat astringent lactic kick that leaves an odd flavor lingering around. The closest I can attribute it to is bile....but it tastes nothing like it of course, just leaves your mouth with that notion. The initial taste is good but the aftertaste just isn't enjoyable to me. As it really warmed up a tiny bit of hazelnut made it's way to the finish.

M - for a porter, very good. Bordering on thick with very good carbonation despite the use of coconut.

O - I'm glad I got to try this beer, as I heard a lot of good things about it. While it wasn't near my favorite porter, it had some good things going for it. The aftertaste left me pretty upset though, and I just can't see searching it out again. (1,276 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -12.8%

Glass - Nonic

A - A dark brown and muddy looking beer that produced a 1-2 finger head that dissipated like an adjunct Lager. You can hardly see through it, and it left no lacing on my glass.

S - Roasted malt aroma's with dark chocolate and sweet coconut notes that all kinda sorta remind me of an Almond Joy. I also get lots of nuttiness and toffee notes. Very sweet smelling with soft floral and herbal hop notes. I gotta say that the coconut comes out allot more than I would expect.

T - Hops are more pronounced here than in the smell. Upfront I get a battle of herbal/floral hop flavors and dark chocolate, toffee, and roasted nuts. Mid to finish I pick up soft coconut that's mildly sweet, then it finishes pretty dry with traces of a mash between a Mr. Goodbar and an Almond Joy. A good deal of hop bitterness going on for a Porter as well.

M - I'm not really liking the feel. It's about a chewy and thick as a stout with the crispness of a Pilsner. Medium-full bodied.

O - Overall I'm a little disappointing in the brew. I liked the flavor profile but it was a bit wish washed together. I also didn't like the feel of the beer, way too carbonated! I could have another but I wouldn't ever buy it again. Worth a try though. (1,234 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

11/13/10- Had a can of this I shipped back from Orange County.
A: Black with dark brown hues, poured a cream film and collar.
S: Mild molasses and chocolate, with a very mild coconut on the nose.
T: Creamy, roasted with chocolate and a mild coconut. Nice but not very robust and the coconut is lacking from what I remember this on draft.
M: Creamy, mild carbonation.
D: Pretty good. (382 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Nice deep brown color. Small tan head. Roasted malt and dark chocolate aroma. Sharp and acrid flavor upfront-almost a burnt malt and bakers chocolate flavor. Somewhat metallic though I know that isnt from the can. Grainy tasting. Perhaps a whisper of coconut but not what I was expecting. Ok mouthfeel. A decent enough porter but really lacks what it takes to be very good in my book. Could use more coconut. (408 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

A- Deep brown with a tan head.
S- Roasty malt small.
T- Starts with the roasted malt flavor and ends with a coffee taste.
MO- Creamy feel. Worth trying if you get to the islands. Although this was my favorite brewery in Hawaii not my my favorite beer. (251 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Gift from the other Matt, thanks! Poured into a Russian River tion glass.

Beer is black with a sort of lazy head that forms a monolayer of bubbles that slowly falls away, not much lacing, carbonation appears low.

Aroma is roasty, mildly sweet, pretty nice, no coconut yet.

I waited to serve this beer until it was almost room temperature, but I didn't get much coconut, some in the late portions of the palate but I can't say for sure that if I didn't know that there was coconut in there that I would have guessed so. The beer is a little thin and mildly sweet with some decent bitterness from the roast in the back. Overall it is a decent porter and I'd have it again. I wish the coconut were more obvious. (711 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

(Draft, Social List, Long Beach, CA 2/22/15) Haven't had many porters in quite some time and this one has me interested in trying more. Very smooth and easy drinking. (166 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz can poured into a snifter.

A - Deep dark brown with a small coffee colored head that has fine tiny bubbles. Do Ho reference for a beer brewed in Hawaii. That's right.

S - Smells of roasted coffee & malt. Sweetness from the coconut, although it's very faint. Might not pinpoint the smell if I didn't know what it was. I wanted more.

T - Tastes of roasted coffee, malt, small hop bite and a mild sweetness from the coconut.

M - Medium bodied & carbonated.

D - Easy drinking. Not heavy at all.

This is a fine porter. I wanted more coconut aroma & taste though. The $8.99 per 4 pack is a bit of a deterent, but I'll gladly buy this again. (648 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

(from notes taken early august 2008)

freebie my brother earned in a trade with brewerb

no date found on the can. poured into shaped pint glass.

almost opaque brown/black. tan head fades to wisps. minimal lacing.

aroma starts with roasted malt and earthy tones, with some esters, but is pretty phenolic. the coconut only really comes through in traces amongst the esters.

some otherwise smooth, sweet malts are a bit overpowered by a boozy and phenolic quality. toasted coconut is there, but only barely (and only if you look for it), as a side player. the mild bitterness helps to offset the the booziness.

ever so slightly thin, but smooth. moderate carbonation.

meh... (677 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Obtained via trade. Thank you Lunch. 12oz can poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a very deep brown with a huge pillow of a tan head. Excellent retention. Little to no lacing, what's there is sparse and patchy.

S: Very nutty and woody with underlying milk chocolate and vanilla. Has some of that sugary lactose smell to it as well, like a milk stout. Not a very complex nose, but still good.

T: Burnt and acrid tastes on the attack were jarring, and a bit of a surprise, though not unwelcome. Very smokey. Bakers chocolate and cocoa powder in the background. Everything revolves around a malty, sweet, cola-like base. Not really picking up any hops. A sweet milky taste is really all that the coconut seems to contribute. Finishes very sweet with tastes of the aforementioned milk and some charcoal.

M: Very thin in body. A pleasant creaminess is cut by the abundant, aggressive carbonation.

O: Not enough body, far too much carbonation, and in need of just a bit more complexity (greater hop contribution, perhaps?) to make this a real standout. It's good, but not great. I had high expectations given its reputation, but this beer failed to meet them.

Notes: I really couldn't pick out much of the coconut, all I tasted was that milky sweetness. Did it ferment out, or am I missing it? (1,312 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to make some homemade ice cream infused with some Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but my local grocery store didn't carry it. I didn't really feel like making another trip this particular day, so I decided to try the Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter instead. I got the 4 packer home and immediately pulled one off of the black plastic holder. The thing had a death grip on the beer and I had to really muscle it off. I guess that move shook the can too much because when I pulled the tap I lost a good 2 oz. of the beer from spew.

That brings me to the appearance. The foam was way up, obviously, but then disappeared to almost nothing very quickly. I don't know if that's because it exploded and thus ruined the carbonation, but I was shocked at how poorly it held the head.

Dispite the head the color of the beer is beautiful. It's a deep deep brown and when it holds to the light you almost see a marroonish color coming through. Only slightly foggy, this is a good looking porter, despite the disappointing head.

The smell is really nice. I smell coffee roast, very roasty. I'm also getting chocolates and some a little sweetness (from the Coconut?)

Lots of coffee roastedness in the taste. Good aftertaste that doesn't overpower, I also gets some hops up front, which I like. Hops in Porters and Stouts often get overpowered by the malts and I like that it's there.

That pre-beer shake up and subsequent blow up HAD to have hurt the carbonation because it's evident in the mouthfeel. I'll have to assume that there's supposed to be more carbonation in this. Decent mouthfeel, my first reaction is that it's a little thin. Maybe I'm just saying that because of the lack of carbonation. I'm also having to remember that I'm more accustomed to stouts which are thicker. Still, I can't help but want a little more.

Overall, it's a good beer. Not my fav but I think it will do the job. I'll definitely have to try it again. This time I'll let it sit for a few minutes if I happen to yank it violently from it's vice grip holder. (2,043 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my friend Paul for hooking me up with a can of this. From a 355 ml can, it pours out a deep dark brown hue, not quite opaque there are translucent cola highlights when held to direct light. Massive head on the pour, took 3 attempts to empty the can and fill the glass, presenting a loose bubbled mocha head that slowly settles to a frothy thin cap.

Sweet and toasty malt up front in the aroma, some faint roasty notes, as well as some toasted coconut.

Dark toasty malt up front in the flavour, some sweetness before the toasted coconut appears and tends to remain most prominent towards the finish. Dry, rather cocoa-like finish and aftertaste, with faint coconut also lingering on.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied on the lighter end of the spectrum, somewhat slick texture although with decent attenuation, and some moderate carbonation.

Things lean towards the sweeter end of things, although that may be expected due to the presence of the coconut, however the malt could have balanced it out some more. I'm not complaining though, I enjoyed this stuff and will seek out some more when the opportunity arises. (1,121 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a two finger khaki head that fades to thin layer, leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights. Light carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Smell: hints of chocolate and flavor is burnt chocolate and coconut. $5.50 for a 12oz can on Norwegian Cruise Line Pride of America off Hawaii. From my notes 5/30. (309 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a tulip glass 12/28/10. Reviewed on paper 12/28, transcribed into BA 12/29.

A: Dark, dark, dark brown with large two finger head and heavy lacing.

S: Very rich and roasty malt aroma. Missing seems to be the coconut. It would receive a 4 if I was able to place the coconut, but as poured it smells like an above average porter.

T: Toasted/roasted malts but where's the coconut? There was a nice roasty after taste that lingered shortly after sip but not overpowering or distracting.

M: Medium bodied. The bite of the carbonation seemed to overpower the taste a tad, until of course the after taste kicked in.

D: Tastes good, feels good, drinks good. Won't drink a 4pk in one sitting. One yes, maybe two in a sitting.

Comments: Expected it to be a little more sweet. Pleasantly surprised it wasn't as I don't have a sweet tooth. That having been said, I would have liked some coconut. Does it fade? Was mine not fresh? (946 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a snifter, revealing black body under a few fingers of tanned head. Decent staying power on the head. Smells like your average porter with some darker malt and a slight roastiness but slightly sweeter and with some nuttiness as well. Hint of soapiness on the nose too. Coconut is hard to pick out over these notes.

Tastes acidic up front but instead of malt there is a strong nutty presence along with slight bitterness that makes up the bulk of the flavor. Fruity aftertaste. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a large-nucleating but assertive carbonation adding to the acidity and otherwise thin body. Decently drinkable for what it is and very well-carbonated.

Overall an interesting offering. I can see how I would enjoy this can stretched out on the beaches of Maui or on tap in their charming brewpub. (824 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a Port Brewing pint glass. Really like the explanation of why the brewery uses cans over bottles. Hopefully we will see more craft in cans in the future...

A - Pours a deep brown with three finger frothy tan head on a fairly aggressive pour. In hindsight I probably should have poured a little more passive. Head retention is decent at best and there is a little slippery lacing to be had...

S - Dont pick up any coconut in the scent. Black patent, coffee, and lots of roast...

T - Starts with chocolate and a little vanilla. Toasted coconut comes through in the finish with lots of roast. I probably wouldn't even have detected the coconut if I hadn't brewed with it before. Very subdued...

M - On the thin side of being medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. A little light for the style...

O - Pretty run-of-the-mill Porter. Bumped up the overall score because I liked the can, but definitely not something that is going to be in my rotation...

Cheers... (1,005 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pitch black, fluffy mocha colored head, spotty lacing.

S: Espresso, chocolate mousse, not much coconut there.

T: Good roast flavor, not too bunt/acrid tasting like many other porters. Towards the end of the glass, I do get a toasted coconut flavor. This beer needs to warm up to room temperature for it to come on its own.

M: Not too heavy on the mouthfeel. Very prickly going down.

O: Good porter, the coconut doesn't really wow me though. Worth trying at least once. (477 characters)

CoCoNut Porter from Maui Brewing Co.