Big Swell IPA - Maui Brewing Co.

Big Swell IPABig Swell IPA

poor

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Beer added by: GClarkage on 01-19-2008

50+ IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Swell IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

A super brew; thanks to Scott for bringing me one!

Lovely orange-y gold colour. Tight white head.
Hop aroma is big and bold.
Taste is almost all hops, but this is a good thing. Fabulous flavour.
Carbonation iis just right. Mouthfeel is great.
This adds up to a high score, for an excellent IPA.

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a nonic tumbler.

Appearance: Clear yellow-orange with an off white head about a centimeter thick that leaves a thin lacing over the top.

Aroma: Citrus, pine, and a touch of grapefruit, nothing that really stands out and screams "I'm an IPA"

Taste: Mostly citrus with a slight malt backing, that is reminiscent of adjuncts and has a buttery finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with medium carbonation and a dry finish with a buttery aftertaste.

Overall: The first time I had this beer I enjoyed it more, could be the age of the can but I'm not sure.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely floored. A fantastic beer. Poured from can into tulip. Right off the bat, this beer poured perfect. Nice 1 inch head, great amber orange color, great lacing. The smell is fantastic, just a hint of sweetness surrounded by hops. The taste is perfect, just the right amount of sticky citrus fruit sweetness paired with great hop balance. Never had such a well balanced beer. Was not expecting what I got, but boy amd I glad I did. Will now seek this beer out many times over.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Another can IPA. I like where this industry is going. Pours an apricot colored ale with a light frothy head and minor stickiness on the glass. Nothing earth shattering. I'm getting a lot of malt in the aroma. Some juicy fruits like apricot and tangerine in the mix but it reverts back to muy maltiness. The taste is good..not great. Again a lot of malt seems to be concentrated in this and the backbone is a bitter grapefruit bite on the way down. Long aftertaste. Salivation is present. Almost a spicy swallow with a big, peppery finish. Overall I like the can for sure and see myself consuming many on fishing and camping trips, but for the everyday drinking I would look elsewhere. Not knocking it at all, just a little too malty for my IPA liking.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is a dark gold color with a white head and a decent amount of bubbles.

It's heavy on the citrus with some pine notes being secondary.

It's very citrusy, maybe a bit astringent. Some nice pine note and a decently malty backbone.

It's a medium bodied ale with a nice amount of carbonation.

Had this on a cruise ship. It was ok, nothing I loved but didn't hate. I prefer the Bikini Blonde over this one.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a stemless wine glass. Canned date 07/07/11. Damn you Texas with your lack of fresh shit.

A- Poures a clear, yellow-orange with a bone white one finger head. Looks good

S- Floral hops dominate the nose on this one. Very attractive outdoors aromas. A little malt sweetness, smells incredibly fresh for being kinda old. Love the nose on this beer. Could be my favorite for a single IPA.

T- Bitter, fresh hops up front. Slight, oh so slight sweetness from the malts, but quickly dissapears into bready notes. Fades away into a lingering non-offensive bitterness. very good.

M- Average for the style. Good carbonation, a little dry but not bad.

O- Love this IPA. It is a great go to beer for me and im glad i have regular access to it.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

A- Hazy golden with big head that diminished quickly
S- Smelled floral, as IPAs often do.
T- Light and sweet for an IPA, strong bouquet of flowery flavors.
M- Good balanced carbonation, doesn't overwhelm the flavor, doesn't fall flat on the tongue. Just right.

This was decent but I wasn't overly impressed, I will probably be checking out some of their other offerings.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from can into my Duvel tulip with an amber/gold color with about two fingers of foamy head lasting throughout with very nice lacing.

A nice citrus aroma, perhaps grapefruit, mango. Well balanced with malts and hops.

From a can I found this to be a very good and refreshing beer.

Wish I had access to this beer in the east.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

This was the 3rd part of a mixed 6-er I picked up at the superb Pono Market on Kauai. Thanx crew, for being the only place on island I found a sampler of these fine Hawaiian brews!

Cloudy opaque and golden, with a fine head and ornate lace. Impressive!

Fresh and hoppy nose, with floral citrus ruling the day. Nice. I suppose I can thank the can for keeping this fresh.

Tastes bold and bitter, with a grapefruit citrus finish. A solid and well-done IPA, not outstanding, but well worth enjoying if you're anywhere in Hawaii.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden iced-tea color with an absolutely huge frothy head that won't quit; the lacing is solid

S: Dominate hop profile: tropical fruits, grapefruits with a touch of pineapple as well as a grassy herbal hop presence; some pine but mostly citrus on top of a musty grainy grassy malt base

T: Smooth citrus hops up front: grapefruit, mango, pineapple, lemons with a biting pine hop bitterness on the back end; this is a hop lover's dream; it isn't very balanced but that's not what this beer aims to do; however, a sweet almost caramel bready base does appear underneath the overwhelming hops in the end

F: Medium body with just enough carbonation--on the light side--and that sticky, oily hop residue is also there that I so love in the texture of a good IPA

O: Such a damn fine IPA from Maui; I so wish I could drink this while sitting on the beach but I will settle for my deck

Big Swell IPA from Maui Brewing Co.