Big Swell IPA - Maui Brewing Co.

Big Swell IPABig Swell IPA

poor

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Beer added by: GClarkage on 01-19-2008

50+ IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 850 | Reviews: 377

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

A super brew; thanks to Scott for bringing me one!

Lovely orange-y gold colour. Tight white head.
Hop aroma is big and bold.
Taste is almost all hops, but this is a good thing. Fabulous flavour.
Carbonation iis just right. Mouthfeel is great.
This adds up to a high score, for an excellent IPA.

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a nonic tumbler.

Appearance: Clear yellow-orange with an off white head about a centimeter thick that leaves a thin lacing over the top.

Aroma: Citrus, pine, and a touch of grapefruit, nothing that really stands out and screams "I'm an IPA"

Taste: Mostly citrus with a slight malt backing, that is reminiscent of adjuncts and has a buttery finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with medium carbonation and a dry finish with a buttery aftertaste.

Overall: The first time I had this beer I enjoyed it more, could be the age of the can but I'm not sure.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely floored. A fantastic beer. Poured from can into tulip. Right off the bat, this beer poured perfect. Nice 1 inch head, great amber orange color, great lacing. The smell is fantastic, just a hint of sweetness surrounded by hops. The taste is perfect, just the right amount of sticky citrus fruit sweetness paired with great hop balance. Never had such a well balanced beer. Was not expecting what I got, but boy amd I glad I did. Will now seek this beer out many times over.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

Another can IPA. I like where this industry is going. Pours an apricot colored ale with a light frothy head and minor stickiness on the glass. Nothing earth shattering. I'm getting a lot of malt in the aroma. Some juicy fruits like apricot and tangerine in the mix but it reverts back to muy maltiness. The taste is good..not great. Again a lot of malt seems to be concentrated in this and the backbone is a bitter grapefruit bite on the way down. Long aftertaste. Salivation is present. Almost a spicy swallow with a big, peppery finish. Overall I like the can for sure and see myself consuming many on fishing and camping trips, but for the everyday drinking I would look elsewhere. Not knocking it at all, just a little too malty for my IPA liking.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is a dark gold color with a white head and a decent amount of bubbles.

It's heavy on the citrus with some pine notes being secondary.

It's very citrusy, maybe a bit astringent. Some nice pine note and a decently malty backbone.

It's a medium bodied ale with a nice amount of carbonation.

Had this on a cruise ship. It was ok, nothing I loved but didn't hate. I prefer the Bikini Blonde over this one.

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a stemless wine glass. Canned date 07/07/11. Damn you Texas with your lack of fresh shit.

A- Poures a clear, yellow-orange with a bone white one finger head. Looks good

S- Floral hops dominate the nose on this one. Very attractive outdoors aromas. A little malt sweetness, smells incredibly fresh for being kinda old. Love the nose on this beer. Could be my favorite for a single IPA.

T- Bitter, fresh hops up front. Slight, oh so slight sweetness from the malts, but quickly dissapears into bready notes. Fades away into a lingering non-offensive bitterness. very good.

M- Average for the style. Good carbonation, a little dry but not bad.

O- Love this IPA. It is a great go to beer for me and im glad i have regular access to it.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

A- Hazy golden with big head that diminished quickly
S- Smelled floral, as IPAs often do.
T- Light and sweet for an IPA, strong bouquet of flowery flavors.
M- Good balanced carbonation, doesn't overwhelm the flavor, doesn't fall flat on the tongue. Just right.

This was decent but I wasn't overly impressed, I will probably be checking out some of their other offerings.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from can into my Duvel tulip with an amber/gold color with about two fingers of foamy head lasting throughout with very nice lacing.

A nice citrus aroma, perhaps grapefruit, mango. Well balanced with malts and hops.

From a can I found this to be a very good and refreshing beer.

Wish I had access to this beer in the east.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

This was the 3rd part of a mixed 6-er I picked up at the superb Pono Market on Kauai. Thanx crew, for being the only place on island I found a sampler of these fine Hawaiian brews!

Cloudy opaque and golden, with a fine head and ornate lace. Impressive!

Fresh and hoppy nose, with floral citrus ruling the day. Nice. I suppose I can thank the can for keeping this fresh.

Tastes bold and bitter, with a grapefruit citrus finish. A solid and well-done IPA, not outstanding, but well worth enjoying if you're anywhere in Hawaii.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden iced-tea color with an absolutely huge frothy head that won't quit; the lacing is solid

S: Dominate hop profile: tropical fruits, grapefruits with a touch of pineapple as well as a grassy herbal hop presence; some pine but mostly citrus on top of a musty grainy grassy malt base

T: Smooth citrus hops up front: grapefruit, mango, pineapple, lemons with a biting pine hop bitterness on the back end; this is a hop lover's dream; it isn't very balanced but that's not what this beer aims to do; however, a sweet almost caramel bready base does appear underneath the overwhelming hops in the end

F: Medium body with just enough carbonation--on the light side--and that sticky, oily hop residue is also there that I so love in the texture of a good IPA

O: Such a damn fine IPA from Maui; I so wish I could drink this while sitting on the beach but I will settle for my deck

4.49/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a diconic at a cafe in Kailua, Oahu.

This is a surprisingly good IPA, at least I didn't expect this quality
from Maui.

The beer is lighter than most IPAs tending toward lighter amber/yellow color.

The full hoppy nose and excellent lacing let you know this is going to be a good one.

Great mouthfeel, full bitterness balanced with light maltiness.
A lingering bitterness is nice with the citrus that comes into
the aftertaste.

VERY drinkable.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks Kyle2k10!

Crystal clear golden yellow body with 2 finger white head and lots of residual lacing.

Smell is of pale malts and fruits with some citrus rind. The aroma could be more substantial, but the flavor is on point. HOWEVER... having had Pliny before this and then sampling Big Swell... all I get is a pale malt blast on the palate.

Taste is quite bitter. Like Smuttynose Finest Kind, but a tad sweeter and more round. Very succulent and drinkable. Smooth and moderately carbonated. No IPA lover would turn this one down.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Hazy golden color with a decent white head that don't last too long.

aromas of cat litter box (a new variant on the cat pee of cascade provenance?) and a hint of rubber cement. Somewhere in the back is a citrusy aroma that keeps me from thinking I am losing my freaking mind or something.

Kinda citrus, herbal, tropical fruit taste of hops that anchors the beer down and gets me back in reality.

Medium body that finishes with hop bitterness and more rubber cement.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Big Swell IPA from Maui Brewing Co.