Bikini Blonde Lager - Maui Brewing Co.

Bikini Blonde LagerBikini Blonde Lager

good

good

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bikini Blonde Lager Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

2.4/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 fl oz /355 ml aluminum can with a comfortably grippable top served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the style.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food. Consumed on a full stomach.

A: Pours a one finger white colour head without hardly any cream, of poor thickness, and average retention. Body colour is a predictable clear light copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. A mundane appearance; somewhat dull.

Sm: Clean malts, stale orange peel, rice, stale barley, and hints of creamed wheat. A mild strength aroma, and not a particularly appealing one.

T: Clean malts, rice, stale orange peel, stale cream, hints of wheat, and stale barley. Light hopping contributes light vague citrus. A poorly constructed simple brew with some redeeming citrus character. Badly balanced and built. Not at all complex or subtle. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Boring and bland.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some tingly crystal malt coarseness. Adequately carbonated. Too thick for the lack of body and flavour.

Dr: Drinkable but bleh. A very underwhelming offering from Maui brewing. Certainly the worst brew from them I've yet tried. I won't be getting this again. It hides its mere average ABV pretty well, but that's not much of an accomplishment.

D+

2.64/5  rDev -26.7%

From Hawaii. So: long distance for distribution, balanced by environmentally-friendly recyclable packaging? I’m not sure the balance is worth it in this case

This looks like a yellow fizzy beer. Very foamy. Low, barely detectable aroma and not a whole lot of flavor either. There is a honey-sweet taste to it, and a sweet finish, but not a whole lot else going on here. Wasn’t horrible but not terribly exciting. I certainly don’t picture myself sitting on a warm, sunny beach and wanting to drink one of these.

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

12oz can poured into a little hotel glass

Pours bright yellow with a little beige head. Smells a little of straw and a little of lemon.

Taste is pretty boring, watery, slightly sour, more of the lemon than the straw.

Mouthfeel is light and effervescent. Drinkable, but not exciting.

2.74/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can, listed as 4.5%,

A: Pours a pale yellow, a little hazy, nice head and lacing.

S: Really not much at all, light malt and honey.

T: Malt is lightly bready with some sourdough and honey. Hops are earthy and give some soil notes which is a turnoff.

M: Nice mouthfeel, not watery, but light and easily drinkable.

D: A fair beer from Maui, not as good as the major German producers, I thought it was too hoppy for the style.

2.76/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Maize transparent yellow with a fat 2.5 finger head
S - Very very slight hint of noble hops nothing really impressive at all
T - Sweet pale malts without any hint of bittering hops at all
M - very smooth up front, but more carbonated in the middle with a slight milky feel at the back
D - Very Drinkable. I could picture this beer being the gateway for those who are used to BMC pale lagers.

2.79/5  rDev -22.5%

this is nothing special, the novalty of being from the islands wares off fast, the can is cool though. this is week in abv, color and taste. this tastes of corn and no hpo presents at all, i am glad that i got to try this but one is good enough for me

2.84/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I didn't like this beer at all. the only reason I
m writing this is because it made me. do yourself a favor and pass right by this beer.

2.85/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.91/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz, 9/7/11 (almost a year old)
Sam Adams perfect pint

A: Pours a crystal clear BMC yellow color. Still good carbonation. Finger of fluffy white head. Lacing is there.

S: Obviously the age might have knocked this down a bit. The hops have really died out. Getting lots of bready malt character.

T: Tip of the tongue, maybe a touch of hop bite still. It's very faint. Then its all bready and biscuity malt flavor. It's kind of blah at this point. Finish is clean and crisp and flat.

M: Light bodied. Bland and flat.

O: C+

2.94/5  rDev -18.3%

A 12oz. can received as a generous offering from my drinkin' buddy ~ Mr. Mustachio.

Served Ice Cold

A full on gurguling pour into an Imperial pint.

A ~ Pale, cloudy banana colored with a towering white crown that rose a 1/2" above the glass rim & held firm. Towers of bubbles rise to reduce the head to a foamy skim. Webbed lacing dissolved as the beer warmed to the glass.

S ~ The aroma was a little soapy with sour citrus notes, fresh cut green flowers & corn pops.

T ~ There are those (sweet) corn pops again?? Pasty, bready grains. Lemon pith & grassy, floral notes. A little pepper on the finish.
Washed out, floral after taste was a little disappointing.

M ~ Medium bodied with a cleansing, crisp carbonation level. There's a ghostly hop presence that lends itself to a moderately bitter finish. Pepper in the throat & on the tongue.

D ~ As a regional scarcity I was glad to have the opportunity to try this beer. I'm still intrigued with the whole craft canned beer thing AND, I'm thinkin' this is better when it's served ice cold. By the time I pondered the qualities & drafted the review I was looking forward to moving on to something else. Not the worst swill I ever swallowed, but probably not something I'd seek out again.

Is this what the Sailors REALLY come to shore for? I doubt it.

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Can (2012)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

Clear golden with a moderately sized off-white head. Leaves dots of lace down the glass. Appropriate.

Toasted, biscuit, sweet malt, some grass, and mild citrus combine for a pleasant, though unexciting, aroma.

The flavor falls short of the aroma, with the usual bready malt and slight sweetness and grass combining, though unfortunately, there's a very off butter like taste, especially as the beer warms.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Good enough at cold temperatures, but this fails considerably more upon warming. I don't need to revisit this one.

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%

I didn’t have this when I was in Hawaii, but we did have the CoCoNut Porter. That beer, which is one of the best porters on the planet, is still one of my favorites. I know Sheryl LOVES that beer. Maybe it was because it was one of the first beers we had on the island… but it still stacks up to anything on the market today. I haven’t had this offering. I wasn’t impressed with their IPA, so I hope their Helles lager is better. I find it interesting that they only can. At the same time, a lot of breweries are going to cans. It’s cheaper, faster, and the beer tends to taste better. We shall see with the Bikini Blonde Lager. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: It is pretty boring in the glass. It is light, gold, and looks like a regular domestic beer. I know it’s not… and while it is still made in the United States, is not considered a domestic beer. But it looks pretty boring in the glass. It looks like something I would typically chug.

Nose: It has a typical blonde/light lager aroma to it. Nothing to write home about, but something semi-sweet that makes me want to see what this beer tastes like. I like the design on the can, too. I mean… it’s called Bikini Blonde Lager. There is a bikini blonde on the can. It’s only fitting!

Flavor: The flavor is pretty basic. It’s not overwhelming, and with such a low ABV, is totally something I could see pounding during a football game or on the golf course. I can see why people on the island like this beer. It’s a good, easy drinking beer to have while outside, on the beach, in the hot summer nights.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thick, somewhat creamy, and provides you with the type of mouthfeel you expect from a craft beer. Having had their porter, this doesn’t even come close. So I might be a little biased. But this is still a solid beer for someone that doesn’t already drink craft beer, or someone that isn’t into thick, dark beers.

Aftertaste: There isn’t much of an aftertaste. What is there is a lingering dryness that keeps me going back for more. Imagine chugging a pint of Coors Light. That aftertaste… only a little bit sweeter and somewhat dry. Again, nothing to write home about.

This beer isn’t something I would order on a regular basis. I also don’t live in Hawaii. I wonder what the locals think of this beer… I am sure it’s popular with the surfer dudes! I like it, but it’s not great. Not their best offering, but something I am glad I got the chance to try.

Bikini Blonde Lager – “The can says: “Cans eliminate light damage and recede the risk of oxidation, keeping that craft brew fresher than in bottles!

“Cans are lighter, chill quicker, and can be enjoyed on beaches and in sensitive environments. Aluminum is the most recycled and more eco-friendly material.

“Bikini Blonde is a fresh handcrafted Helles lager brewed with the finest German hops and barley, not skimpy on flavor… bold, smooth, and refreshing.”

Bikini Blonde Lager from Maui Brewing Co.