Mana Wheat - Maui Brewing Co.

Mana WheatMana Wheat

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: indiapaleale on 08-02-2010

4.84/5  rDev +37.5%

The CANQuest (TM) is looking to crack the marvelous 500 mark this weekend and I have forgotten who provided this gem, so if you jumpstart my addled memory, I will give you the deserved props. We have an actual Spring-like day today after the Deluge leading up to today's Rapture and Wheaties seem like the perfect breakfast beers.

From the CAN: "Handcrafted Ales & Lagers brewed with Aloha"; "Certified Made on Maui"; "Where's My Ukulele?!?!"; "Why CANs??? Welcome to the micro[CAN]ning revolution ... CANs eliminate light damage and reduce the risk of oxidation, keeping this craft brew fresher than in bottles! CANs are lighter, chill quicker, and CAN be enjoyed on beaches and in sensitive environments. Aluminum is the most recycled and most eco-friendly material. Mana Wheat is a fresh handcrafted AmeriCAN Wheat Ale brewed with malted barley, white wheat, and fresh local Maui Gold Pineapple."; "Maui's truly local brew!"

The Crack & Glug netted two rocky fingers of eggshell-white head with decent retention. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was redolent with pineapple, Woody typed dolefully. A Tom Swifty pun, in case you may have glossed over it. I postulated recently that a cherry beer with Easter ham would be good, but this would go equally well. Or with a Hawaiian pizza! I am all of a sudden hungry as hell! It may have something to do with that bowl of Maui Pineapple Gold earlier ... Mouthfeel had a real Twang! to it, like having the dentist grab your tongue with pliers and hit it with a hammer. Eye-opening! It was both sweet and spicy at once and if I ever see somebody adding fruit to this, I will take their beer from them. This was smooth as heck and the lacing was pretty as the beer simply seemed to evaporate from my glass. I got a taste like pineapple and black pepper on the tongue, to be a bit more specific, BTW. The finish, however, was all pineapple. Sorry, Leinie's Sunset Wheat, but you just got ejected from the cooler! This would be phenomenal at any time, including 01 Febrewary (Hula in the Coola Day), but especially at the beach. The honey-honeys doing the grass skirt number, me opening CANs as quickly as possible, surfers hitting the tasty waves. Bro, it's ON!

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

As if I was aboard the SS Minnow, this trend-setting hefeweizen could keep me and couple of castaways in a nice altered state until rescue. Hey Wilson, come back! Come back!

Defintiely pours a nice honey color with more than an 1.5-inch head that dissipates faster than a young man's crush on Ginger from Gilligan's Island. The head disappears quickly after the pour, almost as fast as a small vessel falls off rader during a storm. The carbonation is average at best.

Hop smell is grassy like Maryann's skirt yet the flavor is more mossy. The remarkable thing about this beer is the pronouced pineapple flavor, which would easily help this beer compete in a fruit beer category.

Bottom line, I could drink this refreshing brew as a castaway. But as I write this review, I'm reminded that the price, at least for a Coloradon, could really only be afforded by Thurston Howell III. However, I would gladly pay it!!!

4.23/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours cloudy golden with a medium white head, it dissipates quite quickly. Lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

S - Bubblegum, lots of Pineapple, Wheat and a little banana.

T - Sweet Pineapple, with some Banana, Clove, Wheat with a slightly fruity and bitter hoppy finish

M - Medium carbonation and quite full bodied, finishes medium sweet.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

12oz can into weizen glass. canned on 09/08/11... probably should have checked the bottom of the can before purchasing. too late now.

A: a hazed orange body is actually pretty bright. head consists of thick white bubbles and has good retention. mild thick lacing.

S: boatloads of banana. a healthy dose of wheat as well. pineapple. a lot of tropical, pleasant fruit aromas.

T: pineapple. bananas. not really a clove flavor, but much more of the first two. almost reminds me of drinking a pina colada or some other tropical cocktail.

M: subtle carbonation on a light body.

D: for a brew that probably should have been taken off the shelf, this is pretty tasty. definitely worth picking up if you dig the wheat brews.

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a hazy straw color.
Smell is of pineapples and wheat. Very interesting. I expect this beer to be sweet when tasting.
Taste is actually only a little sweet, but I can tell the sweetness comes from the fruits. A good wheat flavor up front but really followed by that pineapple quite strongly.

Great beer!

4.19/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a 12 oz can dated 9/03/10 into my Singha little beer glass. Lightly hazy light amber/orange colored body and about a finger + of big bubbled fizzy head. Head holds for about 2 minutes or so, lacing slips from the glass as you drink, no sticking. Smells of American wheat beer (kinda corn tortilla-ish), canned pineapple along with the metallic can lining, a little flowery sweetness. Very pleasant nose. Medium light body on the tongue. The pineapple definitely comes through. Some of that wheaty goodness. Light hop bitterness on the finish. Is dry, despite the slightly sweet nose. Prickly nice carbonation. Great hot weather beer. Love.

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured into a pint glass slightly washed to prevent head formation but this beer had so much malt and yeast I epically failed. With the immediate crack of the can you get a wiff of pineapple. Very nice. The smell up close is pineapple and a hint of grain. Really good smell. I really like pineapple so I was excited for the taste. The taste is pineapple and more pineapple with a finish of a high end wheat beer. I was really surprised with this beer. I was thinking of a wheat beer with a hint of pineapple but this was the opposite. For 2 bucks this was an amazing experience. The mouthfeel was not bad. It was not too dry and the flavor was not stuck in my mouth for that long. Overall I gave this a good rating due to the fact that this was a random find and have had no hype provided to me from friends. I would buy one can again if I was in the mood for a very and I mean very sweet beer.

4.14/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A funny old beer, and one I'm always happy to see. Maybe it's the carefree joy of finding good beer in a can, still a rare sight in the UK. Maybe it's just nostalgia for my honeymoon in Hawaii. Maybe it's just that it's one of those rare beers that's interesting and unique but still refreshing and very drinkable.

Poured out of the can, it's not special to look at. A frothy parchment-white head atop a sunburnt, uniformly hazy golden body. But the aroma makes it well worth decanting (decanning?). Fruity and tropical yet spicy and bready, this is like a banana bread piña colada. Loads of cloves, allspice, and ripe banana, hints of bubblegum, watermelon, and violet, and a pervasive pineapple juice overtone. There's something mulled wine-like about it, but put through the looking glass – it's got the warming spice of a winter beer but the lively, vinous fruitiness of a summer beer. Discordant, but not unpleasantly so.

Roundly sweet with a strong flavor of toasted banana bread, a Sailor Jerry-ish spiced rum note and a twang of pineapple. It's weird. But I like it. The base is a classic hefeweizen, and really that's what this is – you could be fooled into thinking into it's just an unusually fruity specimen from Bavaria. It's a little bit slick with sugar and gluten but overall quite refreshing, and unlike a lot of wheat beers, it's not overly gassy. It doesn't rank among the world's best weissbiers but it is novel and tasty, if not something I could drink a lot of in one night. Still, it makes for a lovely treat on occasion.

4.13/5  rDev +17.3%

A: Hazy dark straw color with a foamy white (tanish) head.

S: Wheat and pineapple in the nose, a touch of grass.

T: Nice wheat backbone with very satisfying and complimentary pineapple overtones. Not a ton of complexity with the fruit, but still pretty good.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: A very good fruity wheat ale. Definitely recommended.

4.12/5  rDev +17%

Welcome to DC Maui Brewing Company!

Wheat beer with pineapple juice huh? Gimme!

Served in a tulip.

A: Poured a bright, bright orange color, with a very tropical flair visually. The uniformly cloudy brew boast about a finger or so white head that retained itself throughout the session.

S: I know this was supposed to be pineapple based, but I got more mango husk than anything. Also, I got a great deal of rose petal in there as well.

T: While I enjoyed this, I thought it seemed a tad watered down. It was almost as if somewhere there once existed a more concentrated version of this, but then someone diluted it. Still though, the wheat was there and so was the tropical goodness. One dimensional, yet effective.

M: Spritzy enough and comforting to the palate, with the fruit playing a nice duet with the wheat. I actually could have used a tinge more sweetness... but that's just me.

O: I think I had tons more affection for this brew than just about everyone else who has reviewed it so far, and that's totally cool. I dug the fresh fruit and the light body. I could pop a few of these around the pool in the summertime.

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Many thanks to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with lots of head rushing to the top of my glass. Smell is of pineapple, a bit on the sweet side. Taste is not sweet, pineapples are present as are some wheat and grains. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is worth seeking out. This is the 4th beer I have tried from Maui brewing and all have been of superior quality. We need to get them distributed here in PA.

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

So far I am very impressed by everything from Maui Brewing Co. Ingredients are top-notch -- great unique flavors you won't find anywhere else -- and they put a lot of care into brewing. I wish I could get anything from Maui Brewing Co in Missouri.

A: Don't know... only had the opportunity to drink straight from the can.

S: Lots of pineapple.

T: Great if you like pineapple. Don't taste any hops.

M: Light, not overly carbonated.

D: You can easily drink several of these in one sitting.

4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

APPEARANCE: Not as much haze as expected, but there is a little. The color is bright yellow and bubbles are popping so quickly from the head that it sounds like I just poured a can of soda over ice. The head lasts for 30 seconds and was about a good half-inch thick at its height. Underneath it, little tiny bubbles dart to the surface, keeping a lively look to the beer even after the head fades.

SMELL: Wow. As soon as I start pouring this beer I can smell the pineapple. Upon closer inspection, there is also a nice, light, bready note and then more pineapple.

TASTE: Mana Wheat tastes pretty much exactly like it smells. Pineapple is, by far, the dominant flavor, but a healthy portion of bready tastes mellow it out. The finish sharpens up quite a bit and leaves a slightly sugary taste on the palate. Very juicy.

MOUTHFEEL: The carbonation is very strong, which I like a lot. It adds to the already refreshing nature of this beer. The body is on the lighter side, but not watered down. That said, this is a little too ‘gulpable’ if that can be a word.

OVERALL: This is a really approachable craft beer. I can’t imagine even the staunchest of anti-beer people out there saying no to this one. I really enjoy this beer in the warmer months, especially when out camping or on the river.

4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

355ml Can (a works leaving gift):
Cloudy yellow with a foamy, white lacing for a head.

Pineapple, a strong wheat aroma & some tropical fruits. Citrus & a touch of clove in there too.

Pineapple upfront along with some tropical flavours. Again there is some citrus backed up with some light spices and a sweet, fruity taste.

Light medium & fairly refreshing with moderate carbonation and a good, sweet and summery mouthfeel.

As expected this one is pretty tropical and fruit with a good, refreshing taste to it and one that made for easy drinking. A great tasting beer that mixes a traditional hefeweizen with tonnes of tropical flavours and somehow it works.

Clean, with a body similar to a hefe. Tastes are dominantly wheat with pineapple juice. Wish I would have picked up a full pack of this. An interesting take on this style and one that makes me more curious about this brewery.

A- Pours light orange and super cloudy with a finger of white bubbly head and threatening to add even more to the point that I have to sip down the foam before it overflows.

S- Smells intense- lots of spicy grain- wheat, rhy, some deep citrus flavor. Also some tea flavors coming out. A really great spicy aroma.

T- THe spice still comes out in the taste- lots of husky flavors. Interesting. Some tropical fruits of hops- pineapple and unripe mango.

M- Just as I would expect. Not too syrupy or carbonated- just right.

O- A complex beer for a wheat and not sweet at all. Really delish and nice.

12oz can into a snifter

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a nice white head that fades to a ring and leaves some good lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is way more than I expected. It's citrusy yet floral like a perfume. I get big notes of corriander, jasmine, and other flowers along with the pineapple citrus smells. Very interesting aromas.

T: The taste is much like the aroma. I detect jasmine, corriander, pineapple, and sweet bready malts. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but as I drank it I could pick out the flavors and enjoy each for what they bring to the final product.

M: The feel is a strong medium body with almost the perfect amount of carbonation.

O: This is not a typical wheat beer and it's definitely something I wouldn't grab on a normal basis however it's a very nice change of pace. The flavors and aromas are big and bold although I prefer Lil Sumpin Sumpin over this in the style.

I plan to enjoy the rest of the sixer by the pool during a 4th of July party and can't think of much else that would suffice.

Pour - pours a slightly cloudy orangish, reddish color with about an inch of white foam that is gone almost before I can grab the camera. It quickly fades away completely leaving what looks like tropical fruit juice in my glass.

Aroma - slightly sweet and sour initially. Some wheat and malt is accompanied by a rather unique smell of pineapple juice and caramel. Its not overly sweet and actually has some citrus notes along with an unmistakeable Belgian yeastiness. Quite intriguing...

Taste - one gulp and swish around the tongue and I am sort of stunned by how well the idea of pineapple and wheat beer come together. Mana Wheat has a spiciness from the yeast that really comes out but its backed up nicely by the sweetness from the pineapple juice in a perfect way. Nothing really dominates and that acrid taste I am left with from some wheat ales is not present whatsoever. Pineapple does to this beer what it does for pork. It just makes it awesome. This is soft on the palate, sweet, spicy and extremely refreshing. Hells yeah. I want more.

Overall - Mana Wheat definitely lived up to my expectations. Another extremely solid and Hawaii-rific offering from the folks at Maui. Unique, flavorful and thirst quenching on a whole new level!

Would I buy more of it? - if only I could! I'd be stocking up on this and the other Maui cans on a regular basis.

On tap at Leilani's on the Beach in Lahaina, HI

Appearance is a nice cloudy orange, clearly unfiltered, just the way I like it. Smells of wheat and pineapple, strong on both and nothing else distinctive. Taste is the same as smell, a nice unfiltered wheat taste with moderate to strong carbonation and a nice pineapple flavor. Very drinkable, and very impressed. I would definitely order this beer again.

A - Very hazy orange, good head retention, average lacing.

S - Pineapple, wheat, and phenols. Nicely balanced.

T - surprisingly earthy for a wheat beer, but it works.

M - Pretty crisp.

O - One of my go-to beers. Far from your average wheat beer.

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours slightly dark golden with a HUGE chunky head taht dissipates rather quickly but leaves residual. Slightly murky. Decent amount of carbs rising.

Aroma is sweet, musty and lightly spiced.

Taste has pineapple coming throught loud and clear. Wheat, yeast and light hops make an appearance.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly cleansing. Crisp.

Overall, very drinkable. Interesting. Due to ABV and refreshing taste you can definitely have a few of these.

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass. Thanks a ton Kala!

A- Cloudy golden color with 2-3 fingers of fluffy white head. Not great retention but very nice lacing.

S- Interesting. Not picking up the typical banana and clove, though fruit and spice are there. Yeasty and fruity, the pineapple does make an appearance, as does something I think is cinnamon-like. Almost reminds me of a pumpkin ale in a weird way.

T- Crisp and fruity, but again no banana and clove here, which is a plus for me. Very light tasting, with some juicy fruitiness from the pineapple and crispness from the wheat. Strange medicinal taste comes through also though, though this goes away and I believe comes from the spicy yeast, which comes through after a few sips.

M/D- Nice creamy mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Goes down very easy and is quite refreshing.

Very nice wheat ale with some interesting flavors. Nice fruitiness, but the medicinal flavor is a bit off-putting at first. Once it dies down a bit, this is good stuff. Overall, very nice.

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

Originally got this one as extra from Googzoid, thanks greg. Loved it so much I asked around for it and got the hookup as from lnashsig, thanks Lee.

Reviewed from notes.

A: Aggresive pour yields Golden Brown head, looks like a nice Belgian beer, nice head, but goes rather quickly

S: Fruit notes, banana, pineapple, and biscuity as well.

T: Wheat infused pineapples. Or pineapples infused with wheat. IDK, but its delicious. Fairly sweet.

M: Nice carbonation, fruit on the palate leaves you wanting that next sip, very nice depth/complexity for a wheat beer.

D: High as a kite.

I love this beer. Nothing to hype over, but definitely super delicious IMO.

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

12 oz can into a tall pilsner glass. Looks like it was canned on 01/07/12. Thanks to wmcconvi for the extra!

A - Opaque dark yellow body. Large fluffy whit head. Actually looks like a glass of pulpy pineapple juice.

S - Wheat and a hint of Belgian yeast and spice. Really sweet pineapple aroma.

T - Wheat and subdued pineapple. A bit of biscuity malt and yeast makes this taste like a pineapple upside down cake. I could use a bit more pineapple though. Clean finish. Damn this is tasty stuff. Mouth feel comes off a bit syrupy with high carbonation.

O - This beer is awesome! The pineapple really works well with the wheat ale. Simple concept executed very well.

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

297th review on BA
can to pint glass

App- It's brewed with pineapple juice and this is just slightly darker with yellow and orange. Nice 1 1/2 finger head to it. Took a bit of time to dissolve. A little bit of cling at the top of the glass.

Smell- Nice mix of earthy, pineapple, sweet malts and some green apples.

Taste- It's good. Has that nice wheat base with a little twist. More pineapple would have been good. Has that nice wheat beer tinge as well. A little sweat, a little yeast(tasted like it at least)

Mouth- Light bodied with a high carb level. Crisp, clean and refreshing.

Drink- A small tasty little beer in a can. Good with clean flavors and quite refreshing.

Mana Wheat from Maui Brewing Co.