Flyin' HI.P.Hay - Maui Brewing Co.

Flyin' HI.P.HayFlyin' HI.P.Hay

good

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

(Beer added by: July2Nov on 05-23-2011)
2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured this puppy from a can into my Telegraph pint/shaker glass. A darker golden/amber color with a fluffy finger of white-ish head. Lots of small bubbles rising to the top, even five minutes after popping the can. Smells of old, faded, tealike hops, which shouldn't be the case, given the newness of the beer. A sort of savory quality, a little bit of pineapple. Almost like a Pineapple coated ham. I don't know if this is a good representation of the Falconer's Flight hop or not, but if it is, I'll pass. A lot of sweet malt on the nose. Sweet up front on the palate. A subdued lowgrade bitterness. Like a deep toothache. For me, not what I like in an IPA. The mouthfeel is the saving grace of the beer, very very creamy. Pretty fantastic really. Overall, despite my love of a couple of Maui's brews, I'd put this in the bottom 1/4 of IPAs I've had. Also, at around 12 bucks a sixer, the price is ridiculous.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

12oz can into my New Belgium tulip.

A- Dark copper color. Crystal clear with a two finger cap of dense white foam. Head recedes leaving some pretty nice lacing.

S- Initially I could really detect the malt in this beer. Notes of caramel reminiscent of a DIPA as I poured it. Once in the glass, however, I'm getting citrus characteristics. Tangerine and pineapple come to mind immediately.

T- The malt is evident from the git-go. Caramel and biscuits which quickly give way to orange and pineapple citrus flavors. Different. The mid palate is pretty balanced, but the hops win out in the end. The finish is bitter and dry without the pine qualities I usually associate with his style. Bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.

M- The feel is thick bordering on chewy. This is DIPA territory and I attribute it to the somewhat large malt profile I mentioned earlier. Carbonation is medium to low imparting a creamy quality.

O- There is a lot going on here for a single IPA. I can literally detect the taste going from malty to citrusy to bitter with every swallow. I can't really call it a bad IPA as it has some qualities which I find enjoyable, but at best I find it to be average and not one I'd buy on a regular basis.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a can into a shaker pint. Billowing head, bright orangish copper color. Pretty nice lacing.

Lemony hop smell, but smells kind of like an adjunct lager. Wha? Relatively light hop aroma.

Hop taste is somewhat washed out. I wonder if I got an old can? This does not taste like an IPA, maybe more like an amber, although there is some astringent hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

I am not terribly impressed with the taste. It feels like a generic stab at the IPA style...I hope I got a bad can and will try it again sometime.

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

Can into glass. Coppery golden with average looking white head. Aroma has woody and earthy notes, caramel, spicy and bright hoppiness. Sticky sappy hop flavors, herbal, slight astringency even with some pine, finishes with a lot of biscuit and slightly buttery malt character. Fairly light body and well carbonated, maybe a bit thin for the amount of malt flavors present. Interesting but not really my thing, wouldn't go for this again.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

I left home on a day in early January. I bade my loved ones goodbye with bleary eyes and a heavy heart. Half of me wanted to stay, but I knew that if I were ever to slake the thirst in my heart I would have to make this journey. I set out in search of that which is not the best, but that which is also not the worst.

Through the vicissitudes of my journey, I knew hunger and longing, despair and turmoil, loneliness and much hardship. At many points along the road I set my gaze to the westering sun and considered turning back toward my homeland, but I fought that urge off and continued on.

After one year, I reached the base of the Mountain of Truth and began my ascension toward the summit. When I reached the peak, I spied a sentinel stone next to which a tall man in an ebony cloak stood. “I’ve waited many years for you to hear the calling. I’m glad you’ve arrived,” he bellowed in a deep voice as he slowly turned to face me.

The man in the black cloak drew back his hood to reveal a kindly countenance, long white hair, and a close cropped gray beard. His milky eyes betrayed blindness, but I knew he saw more than any man on earth. He held out his hands, between which he was clutching a can. “If it is mediocrity you seek, child, look no further."

7/10/2011

On tap at URGE.

A: Golden amber with a one inch head of white foam. Much lacing is left behind.

S: Orange and tangerine with a firm malt foundation of bread and caramel. There's a dash of onion in there as well as dank pine.

T: Caramel and bread with a smooth moderate hop bitterness. Notes of tangerine and orange flesh suffuse the palate. There's a dank earthy pine quality and a touch of booze.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I'm not a fan. No strong attributes and not hoppy enough. An average malt forward IPA. The soul of mediocrity.

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

A: The beer pours amber in color with a white head.

S: Caramel and grass are the most prominent aromas. Some citrus peel along with some toffee and brown sugar. There are off-putting earthy and tea aromas to this as well.

T: The flavor isn't much good either. Sweet malts, bread, and toffee make up the bulk of the flavor. Decently bitter with some grassy hops. Not much in the way of what I look for in an IPA.

M: Medium in both body and carbonation.

O: Just generally off-putting. I don't care to have this again.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz can. Pours a clear golden orange with a medium rocky white head that laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet melon, some crystal malt and some earthy, spicy hops.

The flavor is a lot of sweet sugary malts, fruit and biscuit with some grassy bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, too sweet and biscuity for me and I didn't care a lot for the hop flavors. Decent though, but not worth $12 a six pack.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Just checked out at the grocery store with a sixer of this beer. First commercial beer to use the Flight hop.

A: A crystal clear red color with several fingers of white head and medium lacing.

S: Not a strong aroma. A bit of tropical fruit to go with an earthy hop smell.

T: Dry citrus taste the is more then well balanced with a malt backbone. Mild tropical fruit undertones.

M: A nice easy to drink mouthfeel. Light on the palate with no funny aftertaste. Not a huge beer for 6.8%.

O: I'd like to have this side by side with Big Swell, but I"ll buy it again no matter. Solid IPA in a can, just not unbelievable.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

I picked up a sixes of these because I liked the Big Swell and it was super hoppy. This was just about an average IPA. It wasn't bad it just wasn't anything special. Amber orange color, smells like the faintest of hops. Taste is malt forward with some bitterness on the finish. Overall I was disappointed especially since it was $11 per sixer.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a clear orange with a fingers worth of white head. Head drops fast to a thick crown.

Nose is very subtle for an IPA. Orange zest is the strongest contribution from the hops. Malt comes across a light breadiness.

Taste is better than the smell. Bitter from the grapefruit and citrus flavors. Somewhat tangerine. Definitely balanced. Dry finish. Very refreshing. Mouthfeel is decent.

Overall an average IPA. It's a tough category and this is middle of the road. I wish the flavors were stronger. I do find it very drinkable and would enjoy one of these at the end of a hike.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Wonderful clear copper color. Lots of red and oranges. White head builds nicely... Brew leaves decent lacing.

S - Not your typical IPA scent... Not a whole lot of fruity tones. Some nice grapefruit represents. Much too malty for an IPA. Brew has a slight twang.

T - Not a whole lot going on with this brew... :( There's a lot of flavor missing in this one. Some typical IPA flavors are present, grapefruit is present along with some lemony-orange.

M - Some great bitterness, but its somewhat covered by the immense over-carbonation. Light bodied.

O - Quite a disappointing brew, not my favorite. I know Maui can do MUCH better than this... This brew is good, but not worth seeking out.

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz can poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a bright reddish orange with a huge cream colored head. Mild retentiona and a tiny bit of lacing left on the glass.

S - Citrusy - mostly lemons

T - A mix of sweet malts and citrus, followed by some hop pine.

D - Slight bitter finish. Tons of carbonation.

O - A good summertime beer. Aloha.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From notes. Can to 12oz tumbler.

A: Nearly clear golden orange. Off-white head is foamy, and there are good pockets of carbonation rising.

S: Pretty distinct and not my favorite...hoppy in an earthy and woody way, with a solid malt backbone...I definitely get some caramel and toffee. Maybe hints of orange peel and spices too.

T: Follows the nose, earthy and woody. Spicy and even hot, but not in the alcohol sense. Solid malt presence, solid lingering bitterness but not too high.

MF: Mouth feels nearly medium, the body has some presence. Prickly carbonation and some dryness on the aftertaste but not a ton.

O: Not my favorite...don't really enjoy the herbal character...its almost rotten or like rotten fruit in a way. This beer was recommended to me but for me there are lots of other IPA's I'd rather have.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Pours a perfectly see through golden honey color. Nice tight, creamy off white head. Visible carbonation.

S - Tropical, sweet citrus notes. Earthy hop bitterness. Bits of pineapple, clementine and dirt.

T - Sweet at first. Citrus notes dominate and then fade into the earthy crusty hop bitterness. The finish is quite balanced. The hop taste is there, but the bitterness is not.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Very appropriate for the style.

O - I was really excited to try this beer, but not so sure I would go for it again. It is tasty, but forgetable. Nothing offensive, but nothing to remember either.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a pretty clear copper/amber color with a decent white head and lacing.

Aroma is slightly hoppy with a weird almost hazelnut or something aroma. Never smelt that in a beer before.

Tastes the same. Had a weird almost like nutella taste with some hops and a bit of sweetness. Has a decent hop bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit maltier than I usually like.

Overall an ok IPA. Too many better ones around so don't think I'll be buying this again.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lightly hazy orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, piny and citrus hops. In the taste, light hops consisting of mellow citrus and pine. A small hop bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry gingerbread malt in the aftertaste. Nice, but more of an English pale ale.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

not too familiar with falconer's flight hops, so this has a newish profile for me. pours reddish, which is nice lighter shade of the can color. smells like this is a fruity hop, mangoes or papayas or something of that nature. flavor is similar, not at all bitter or crisp at the end. kind of a long slow finish thats more balanced that the nose would indicate. good mouthfeel, medium on the body and really smooth and sudsy. sessionable, even at the nearly 7% abv, curious to try morw maui brews

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a deep orange/copper with a decent sized off-white head. Solid lacing and head retention throughout. Faint aroma. Hints of grapefruit, lemon zest and grass. Flavor begins with touches of citrus, grass and pine hops. The grassy notes are the most prevalent. Well blended, crisp, but the flavor is lacking. A semi-sweet malt backbone gives this beer balance. Light in flavor overall, but a crisp, somewhat refreshing offering.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

beautiful coppery, apple hue with a giant two-finger light tan head that looks stunning and fades to a thin cap that drops some epic lacing.

aroma is simplistic with caramel malts, honey, bitter grapefruit rind, tangerine, herbal hops. some doughy bread in the finish.

caramel up front, receding to a robust, biscuity, earthy malt profile. almost like a strong brown ale. bitter hops in the finish remind me that it's an IPA.

mouth is decent, although a touch creamy. fine, ample carbonation works decently for the flavors. full, creamy, solid. it works.

all in all, I really want this to be better. the hops aren't as bright or powerful as I'd hoped... very malty, almost to the point of being unbalanced. still tasty, but for the price, it's really not cutting it.

Flyin' HI.P.Hay from Maui Brewing Co.