Flyin' HI.P.Hay - Maui Brewing Co.

Flyin' HI.P.HayFlyin' HI.P.Hay

good

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Beer added by: July2Nov on 05-23-2011

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a clear honey gold with a huge off white head and good stickiness.

S-Biscuity with moderate earthy hops.

T-Quite malty up front with an unexpected graininess. I did not know there was rye in this beer but it sure seems that way. Like other Falconer's Flight beers I have had, the hop presence is strong in earthy bitterness. I like this well enough, but it's not my favorite type of hoppiness.

M-Medium bodied, a little bit slick.

O-Yeah, pretty good, not awesome.

HV

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

Can into glass. Coppery golden with average looking white head. Aroma has woody and earthy notes, caramel, spicy and bright hoppiness. Sticky sappy hop flavors, herbal, slight astringency even with some pine, finishes with a lot of biscuit and slightly buttery malt character. Fairly light body and well carbonated, maybe a bit thin for the amount of malt flavors present. Interesting but not really my thing, wouldn't go for this again.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

can into a pint

A - Pours a deep dark golden to almost orange color. Head formation is bright pearly white, breaks down to a film with a little bit of lacing. Very clear and filtered.

S - Very strong hop profile, lots of citrus, grapefruit, and just a little bit of earthiness and bite. Malting takes a back seat.

T - Starts off smoothly malty, caramel, crystal malts - hops and bitterness takes over. Mid-stream the hops get very meaty, solidly bitter, lots of resinous flavors. Finishes with a bitter finish and just a little of caramel malting. The flavor of these falconer hops go against the smell.

M - Strong mouth feel, very full bodied beer and a solid accompanied carbonation. Leaves a bit of oily bitterness on the tongue.

O/D - Solidly drinking IPA. Seems like the heaviness leans itself towards fall/winter drinking - almost warmer like. Perhaps a symptom of a monotone hop profile with something so potent. Very worthy of trying.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From notes. Can to 12oz tumbler.

A: Nearly clear golden orange. Off-white head is foamy, and there are good pockets of carbonation rising.

S: Pretty distinct and not my favorite...hoppy in an earthy and woody way, with a solid malt backbone...I definitely get some caramel and toffee. Maybe hints of orange peel and spices too.

T: Follows the nose, earthy and woody. Spicy and even hot, but not in the alcohol sense. Solid malt presence, solid lingering bitterness but not too high.

MF: Mouth feels nearly medium, the body has some presence. Prickly carbonation and some dryness on the aftertaste but not a ton.

O: Not my favorite...don't really enjoy the herbal character...its almost rotten or like rotten fruit in a way. This beer was recommended to me but for me there are lots of other IPA's I'd rather have.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a decent enough head that leaves quite a few dots of lace behind

Smell: Balanced aromatics, with a graham cracker malt character and a piney hop element

Taste: The graham cracker malt character dominates from the outset, with the piney hops forced to play catch-up by mid-palate; the finish brings both elements into balance

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Normally I like my malts to stay out of the way in an IPA, but I like the malt flavor in this beer so much that I am willing to overcome my bias, if just in this instance

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

12 oz. cans shared by colleague, 9.13.11, poured into wine tumblers. Brewed with Falconer's Flight hops proceeds to charity.

One finger white head over clear orangish amber body, several small streams of uprising carbonation, medium-fast dissipation with sticky lacing. Fairly citrusy nose, meyer lemon, orange pith balanced by crystal malt stone fruitiness. Taste mirrors nose, good dose of orange and lemon, crystal, and a bit of caramel malt deep sweetness. Mouthfeel a bit on light side of medium, slight stickiness. Not bad, glad this is going to a good cause.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Another one of the falconers flight beers that brewers have been making lately

Pours a very golden, almost copper, great fluffy strong white head, marshmallow like.

Smell of tart hop, sweet citrus, a bit of pepper, earthy yet has a background of pine. A slight smell of alcohol, like a young whiskey.

Taste of sweet carmel, pine characters, some breadyness. There is a tartness, more bitter really that isnt like a classic bitterness you find in many other ipas, it plays with the tongue, leaves a bit of a twang on the tongue. it is really very inviting

Very smooth, and a bit viscus. Very clean yeast taste, easy drinking for the abv and ibus

This is a great well rouded ipa for a nice summer day.

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Hazy amber with orange highlights, tight tan frothy head, great retention and good lacing. Floral and light citrus aroma. Sweet grapefruit and solid malt backbone with a moderate linger. Fairly balanced. Notes of toffee in the malt at the finish. Smooth, slightly foamy and fairly heavy for the style.

Good IPA with an interesting malt profile. Pretty easy drinking with strong hops that don’t dominate although the Falconer hops didn’t seem to add as much to taste as the aroma and alpha hops. It does really have a little bit of everything, though.

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz can poured into a pilsner glass

Pours very prettily. Big fluffy head on top of a nice clear golden with a slight hint of copper. Lots of active carbonation, medium amount of lacing. Smell is muted but orangey and/or orange blossomy. Some straw, too.

Taste is mild, bitter, actually a pretty solid every day IPA.

Mouthfeel is creamy, almost fluffy. Overall, I'm pretty impressed.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a HotD tulip on 7/29/11.

Pours a light golden orange with a fluffy off-white head that dissipates leaving a moderate amount of lacing. I would like to have seen a tad more darker or hazier color in the base but the head and lacing is beautiful.

Smell is mostly of pine hops with some citrus in the background and some carmel sweetness in the finish. Smell is somewhat subdued, I need some more hop slap in the face. Good but not great.

Taste is much the same as the smell. I like it but I want more. No booze presence at all.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate. Nice resin keeps some pine bitterness in the palate bringing you back for more.

Overall this is a solid brew. Not spectacular but really good. I would like to have seen some stronger hop smell and a stronger taste profile, it just felt like these two characteristics were reaching for greatness and fell far short. That said I wish this wasn't a one off for them because I would have enjoyed having a couple next I am in HI.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a can into a shaker pint. Billowing head, bright orangish copper color. Pretty nice lacing.

Lemony hop smell, but smells kind of like an adjunct lager. Wha? Relatively light hop aroma.

Hop taste is somewhat washed out. I wonder if I got an old can? This does not taste like an IPA, maybe more like an amber, although there is some astringent hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

I am not terribly impressed with the taste. It feels like a generic stab at the IPA style...I hope I got a bad can and will try it again sometime.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

I'm not a big fan of their previous IPA attempt...but always like to support these guys so picked up a sixer first time I saw one.

Pours copper colored. 2-Finger slightly off-white head. Minimal carbonation rising....what is rising is small and moving at a Maui relaxed pace.

Aroma is floral hops. Citrus. Some honey/caramel. Quite a nose.

Taste is hops up front. Foral. Grapefruit. Hay. Malts backbone. Decent enough.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly cleansing and dry at the end.

Overall, very drinkable. Nicely balanced for IPA. Much better than Big Swell. Glad they made this one.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours clear amber with maybe one finger of cream colored head. Good amount of lacing. Aroma is rich floral hops some leather and pine. Taste is deep rich leather, pine, not so much grapefruit as West Coast IPAs. Good body for the style and carbonation is perfect. Finish is long and richly bitter. Almost like a jacked up American Pale Ale. No perceived alcohol. Too bad this isn't a bit lower abv I could drink quite a few of these but at 6.8% it would be a short evening. Too bad a perfectly brewed IPA should be seen a mediocre because it doesn't snap your head back with huge hops. Just well done and claims to be brewed on Maui unlike the former contract brewed beers I've had before from this brewery. I am at the half way point now and the head has been replaced by a persistent ring and modest lacing. The aroma and taste profile has staying power though and I am really enjoying this beer. Beer is dedicated to Glen Hay Falconer and proceeds to go to a scholarship fund for brewers. How cool is that? Drink good beer and help your felleow beer lovers. I will buy a sixer next time instead of a couple of singles. I have a hunch this will be a limited release.

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours an attractive amber with enormous white head, and I love creamy head on an ale like this. Nose has a holiday cookie doughy quality with some tingly citrus aromas. Palate is noticeably light bodied, watery even, with some candied malt and juicy fruity hops to balance. Finish has a black tea quality, with more fruit. Not as complex as their mainstream IPA, but certainly worth trying.

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz can poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a bright reddish orange with a huge cream colored head. Mild retentiona and a tiny bit of lacing left on the glass.

S - Citrusy - mostly lemons

T - A mix of sweet malts and citrus, followed by some hop pine.

D - Slight bitter finish. Tons of carbonation.

O - A good summertime beer. Aloha.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy golden hue with the thinnest layer of pillowy ivory foam. Not bad, but not special.

Smell: light malt aroma with some funky, piney hops. Pretty plain but not too bad.

Taste: sweet malt with just a hint of biscuitiness. Hops are laid back and are on the floral and funky side. Bitterness is not especially high, but it's relatively well-balanced for the style. It seems like a simple beer, but it is quite well-executed.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation yielding a nice creaminess for the style. Good stuff.

Overall: at first I thought that the Flyin' Hi.P.Hay was going to be a mediocre IPA. Between the well-balanced flavor and good mouthfeel, though, I'm quite impressed. I don't know if it's worth the imported-from-Maui price, but it is a decent beer.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a deep orange/copper with a decent sized off-white head. Solid lacing and head retention throughout. Faint aroma. Hints of grapefruit, lemon zest and grass. Flavor begins with touches of citrus, grass and pine hops. The grassy notes are the most prevalent. Well blended, crisp, but the flavor is lacking. A semi-sweet malt backbone gives this beer balance. Light in flavor overall, but a crisp, somewhat refreshing offering.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to snosage22 for the chance to try this. We do have Maui brewing recently available to the Houston market, but I had not seen this one here yet. Poured into my dfh snifter, pours a dark orange color, off white head that fills the glass, nice retention. Smell- malty, caramel, some tropical fruits, some citrus presence. Sweetness is primary in smell. Taste- honey sweetness, no real hop presence to speak of. Maybe a little bit of bitterness at the end. Its not bad, but its not great. A pretty avg IPA, a little bit too malty and grainy, a little lacking on the hops.

This is my second review of Maui's IPAs, I'm happy to always have an IPA available in a can, but this one just doesn't stand up to better examples of the style.

A: Pours a light orange with a good, creamy head. The bubbles slowly dissipate until a half finger head lingers throughout the session. Mostly clear, with a little bit of haze.

S: Straight out of the can there are a lot of citrus notes. I don't get a lot of pine in this one. Perhaps some grapefruit. The hop aroma tends not to last long. Underneath that is a sweet, biscuit aroma that is quite inviting. The biscuit aroma is lighter than is typical for that aroma, perhaps 'fresher' smelling, like baking bread on a summer day.

T: Citrus hop flavors at the front of the tongue, along with a light bitterness in the middle. Not much bitterness at the end of the tongue. This isn't a hop bomb, but a more balanced IPA. It finishes clean, and at no point is the pallet overwhelmed with bitterness. The beer has moderate body for an IPA, but not too sweet or overpowering. Again, balance comes to mind. Quite drinkable if allowed to warm up a little, unlike many of the more bitter IPA's. This is a nice, clean IPA that could be a good starter IPA or even a session IPA.

M: Not over carbonated, and not overly thick or malty in the mouth. Finishes rather smooth. When the head is thick during the beginning of the session, it creates a nice creaminess in the mouth.

O: Although not the best hop aroma and flavor, this is a well balanced IPA that should be able to be enjoyed by those who are turned off by over bittering. Well crafted, light malt flavor and a lovely citrus aroma make this an all around excellent IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a can into a 3 Floyds pint glass.

A- Attractive looking beer, nice carbonation, three finger head, nice lacing, burnt orange copper color, clear.
S- The aroma is very filled with nutty malts, caramel, slight citrus, pine, bready, sweet.
T- The taste is very similar to the aroma, big malt flavors, nutty, slight bitterness, hops are in the background, slight citrus.
M- Medium mouthfeel, well carbonated, smooth drinking.
O- I Usually dislike malty IPAs, but this one was pretty tasty, not my favorite but still enjoyable.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a clear amber color with a tight white head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of a bit of citrus hops and some toasted malt.

Tastes of a solid wave of hops layered on top of a solid malt base. Hops have notes of citrus with some grass. Malts add some caramel sweetness with a bit of toasted bread. Leans a bit towards the bitter side, but sweetness is noticeable.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, an IPA I do not find to lack anything, but doesn't quite wow.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

I left home on a day in early January. I bade my loved ones goodbye with bleary eyes and a heavy heart. Half of me wanted to stay, but I knew that if I were ever to slake the thirst in my heart I would have to make this journey. I set out in search of that which is not the best, but that which is also not the worst.

Through the vicissitudes of my journey, I knew hunger and longing, despair and turmoil, loneliness and much hardship. At many points along the road I set my gaze to the westering sun and considered turning back toward my homeland, but I fought that urge off and continued on.

After one year, I reached the base of the Mountain of Truth and began my ascension toward the summit. When I reached the peak, I spied a sentinel stone next to which a tall man in an ebony cloak stood. “I’ve waited many years for you to hear the calling. I’m glad you’ve arrived,” he bellowed in a deep voice as he slowly turned to face me.

The man in the black cloak drew back his hood to reveal a kindly countenance, long white hair, and a close cropped gray beard. His milky eyes betrayed blindness, but I knew he saw more than any man on earth. He held out his hands, between which he was clutching a can. “If it is mediocrity you seek, child, look no further."

7/10/2011

On tap at URGE.

A: Golden amber with a one inch head of white foam. Much lacing is left behind.

S: Orange and tangerine with a firm malt foundation of bread and caramel. There's a dash of onion in there as well as dank pine.

T: Caramel and bread with a smooth moderate hop bitterness. Notes of tangerine and orange flesh suffuse the palate. There's a dank earthy pine quality and a touch of booze.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: I'm not a fan. No strong attributes and not hoppy enough. An average malt forward IPA. The soul of mediocrity.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into a Spaten Tumbler. Dark red orange color. Quite a lot of carbonation bubbles lead to a large, light tan colored and soapy head. Lace stays around the inside of my glass in rings.

Smell is quite musty. Not much to tell you about the smell other than that. I guess some people describe this as fruit but I describe it as soggy bread or a gym locker room.

Taste is quite a bit brighter than the smell. There are some citrus tastes. Not too bitter and not too sweet. Maybe a blood orange. There are some sweet malt tastes also. The must comes out late but doesn't interfere too bad. Would be better without it though.

Mouth is good for the style. I think the rich flavors stick around to the end. The carbonation is in line and refreshing.

Overall I don't think this was as bad as Big Swell, but still not that enjoyable. Still don't get why the Belgian mustyness is needed. If this was priced at $7 or $8 a sixer it might not be a bad choice, but here in Arizona it is $11 a sixer and that (to me) is way too much dough for an IPA that tastes like dough!

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Wonderful clear copper color. Lots of red and oranges. White head builds nicely... Brew leaves decent lacing.

S - Not your typical IPA scent... Not a whole lot of fruity tones. Some nice grapefruit represents. Much too malty for an IPA. Brew has a slight twang.

T - Not a whole lot going on with this brew... :( There's a lot of flavor missing in this one. Some typical IPA flavors are present, grapefruit is present along with some lemony-orange.

M - Some great bitterness, but its somewhat covered by the immense over-carbonation. Light bodied.

O - Quite a disappointing brew, not my favorite. I know Maui can do MUCH better than this... This brew is good, but not worth seeking out.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Another example why I love John's Market. Buy a single or two, cans, check it out.

Good copper pour, adequate head, clarity, vibrance, lookin' good. Almost a wet hop like aroma, green, vegetal and plentiful.

Taste, sessionable, hoppy, pine, low malt body, easy to drink. Grassy. Carbonation gives it a well deserved spritzy mouthfeel. Pretty cool how it can be so green/vegetal/grassy and yet finish very light and dry. Small element of lighter colored citrus to it.

A little expensive, that's its only downfall. If you like the big swell, check this out, goes great with outdoors stuff.

Flyin' HI.P.Hay from Maui Brewing Co.