Liquid Breadfruit - Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-17-2012)

CEDAMA, Nov 22, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

BoRaeCho, Mar 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +32%

bdtva, Mar 05, 2013
4.41/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It is turning into a CANQuest (TM) day at Chez Woody with one CAN of beer after another surfacing for CANsumption. I was relieved to find this in the cooler at Max's Taproom in BAL during a recent visit as I knew that it was limited and a pending trade seemed to have stalled.

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds"; "National Tropical Botanical Garden [-] proceeds to benefit Breadfruit Institute"; "Millions of Delaware natives lusting tropic climes [CAN]not be wrong. We isolated a unique yeast strain on a peach farm near Dogfish Head Brewery. We mapped its DNA, brewed with it, and instantly fell in love with the fruity aromatics the yeast threw down. It immediately reminded me of Hawaii and Hawaii immediately reminds me of my pal Garrett at Maui Brewing Co. A collaborative brew seemed like a fun way to use this tropical yeast. - Sam"; "Breadfruit has been a staple crop for over 3000 years. It's very versatile and EXTREMELY tasty. My buddy Sam and I thought it'd be fun to brew with. Why not push the limits of beer a bit further? After all, beer has been called 'Liquid Bread' for centuries, right? So Liquid Breadfruit's time has come. - Garrett"; "I'm down with the idea of adding Hawaii's native breadfruit into the mix. To amplify the tropic thunderstorm that's brewing in this recipe let's hop this puppy with Calypso hops which throw a lot of pear and apple notes adding bitterness and aroma - Sam"; "Sounds great, let's use some toasted papaya seeds, it's a great spice to balance the breadfruit and compliment the fruitiness of Calypso hops and tropical notes lent by the philandering Delawarians. It was no small task to harvest all these seeds and fruit by hand ... but it sure beats chewing purple corn for weeks on end ... [undersigned] Garrett W. Marrero"; "It certainly does, Garrett. Let's do this! [undersigned] Samuel L. Calagione III"; Maui's truly local beer!"

The Crack revealed yet another brimful CAN and I was anxious to see what an inverted Glug might produce. Two fingers of dense, rocky eggshell-white head was part of the answer. The other part was a very perry-like scent that may cause people to wonder what I am doing in my kitchen today. Two very fruity estrous beers in a row have rendered the place smelling like an orchard of some sort. I do not personally know the smell of breadfruit, but upon leaning in, I definitely got papaya, a scent that always reminds me of female, if you get my drift. Papayas and mangoes ... Mmmm. Basically, this imparted a very tropical fruit scent with an inherent muskiness. Color was a deep, golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was soft, slightly full, with an unfamiliar fruitiness on the tongue. If it was the breadfruit or the Calypso hops, I CANnot tell you, but I CAN say that it was very mellow and quite tasty. The interplay of the fruit and the hops gave it a semi-dry finish with a hoppy bite on the swallow. I have got to read the new book on hops that was just released! Color me curious ...

woodychandler, Apr 07, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was very surprised to see Maui Brewing in Vancouver and to see the Liquid Breadfruit was even more amazing as it was a one off collab. Being that it is over 8% I pulled the trigger as age should not adversely effect the flavours.

The beer is a nice dark gold colour and the nose is hoppy yet fruity. The age seems to have put the breadfruit notes in the backseat but the beer has melded into a hoppy ale with tropical fruit notes on the palate much like many IPAs. The ABV is there but not too noticeable. The hops are still fresh tasting which is a happy thing considering the age. All around a great beer.

canucklehead, Nov 16, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +26.1%

Had this on tap at Real. Excellent. Nice golden color. Smelled like overripe fruit, but in a good way. Pleasant breadfruit finish. Well balanced hops, easy drinking for a decent/high abv.
Had it in the can also... Nowhere near as good. Tasted like your average IPA.

oishiibiiru, Jan 23, 2013

NOLTERN, Nov 19, 2013

deskim, Jan 17, 2013

sunkistxsudafed, Jan 14, 2013

Chieftog, Jun 02, 2013

Amp, Jun 04, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +24%

A - Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a finger of rothy slightly off-white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of grapefruit and orange hops, caramel and bready malts, and some tropical fruits.

T - Starts off with some grapefruit, orange, and citrus hops with some sweet caramel malts and some tropical fruits. Though the middle some bready flavors come through with tart fruits. The finish is a mix of citrus hops, caramel malts, bready flavors, and tropical fruits.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and fruity finish.

D - Very drinkable. Good different flavors that come together in a well balanced beer.

ngeunit1, Dec 02, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +21.1%

From can to nonic pint glass

A: Apricot in color, dank and cloudy, the beer forms a solid 2-inch head that cascades down the glass.

S: Sweet malts and unripe, astringent fruit hits the nose first. Admittedly I hadn't heard of breadfruit until I'd picked this up, but there's definitely a semi-sweet tropical tone I'd assume comes from its addition. Sweet bouquet with pronounced aromas.

T: The tropical note hits first. Surprisingly it's not sweet, sort of a bitter tropical bend if there's such a thing. The brew's not all that hoppy, but the bitter aspects of the fruit (is it a fruit? I'll Google later) nicely cut through the sweet malt-backbone. There are some subtle musty and earthy notes that play at the edge of the profile. A touch of hop astrigency dries the palate toward the end, as it finishes short and balanced.

M: Medium-bodied given the ABV. Refreshing experience overall

Surprised how much I like this. Maui is getting good at taking the best of craft brewing and bending them to an 'island experience'. I could definitely see myself on a beach knocking this back. Like those teasing Corona commercial but with good brew.

rand, Dec 29, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +21.1%

12oz can that’s been hidden in my fridge for several months. According to the stamp on the bottom of the can, this was canned October 5, 2012.

Poured a hazy gold color, with a big, creamy looking white head. Said head retreated after a few minutes, leaving sheets of lace on the sides of an Eastern Washington University pint glass (Go Eag’s).

Initially, a mild, tropical fruit scent was all that the inquiring nostrils could detect. As things warmed up, there came to be some separate citrusy hop notes as well, along with more pear-like fruity scents, some vanilla and something not unlike the aroma of a white wine.

Very different tasting than I was expecting. Not nearly as fruity as I was expecting, with the vanilla-like flavor stepping up significantly. It reminds me a bit of an oak-aged white wine. That’s not to say the tropical fruit flavor is gone – it’s there, quite a lot actually – but it’s in the background, essentially acting as an outer garment keeping things wrapped together. The finish is surprisingly hot, given the rest of the taste, but it does have a relatively high alcohol percentage.

Medium bodied, with a slightly coating mouthfeel.

I wasn’t sure I would like this beer as a little bit of fruit flavor in beers generally goes a long way with me, but due to it’s restrained fruitiness and generally off-the-wall nature, I rather liked it/ I’m not sure I would want to drink numerous cans’ worth in a single sitting, but I think I made a good call purchasing this, and would not be afraid to do so again should the opportunity present itself.

woemad, Mar 31, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +19.1%

This pours a honey amber color with tightly laced foam. I can't place the aroma--it's vaguely tropical. But doesn't come across in a conceptual way. If that makes any sense.

The flavor has a pleasing bitterness that's sharp and pointed with a drying finish. I pick up more distinct tropical notes—along with a green banana (specifically platano more than the more common bananas) especially on the finish. This comes together very well. It’s an interesting and enjoyable brew.

elNopalero, Sep 04, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz can

A - Golden, hazy, thick looking. Lots of head formation, off white in color. Looks quite unfiltered.

S - Strong yeast flavors, bread, with hints of spiciness. Citrus and whatever I guess breadfruit is adds something here.

T - Starts off lightly malty, but then it comes through with some hefty spiciness. Some hopping comes in in the middle, adds a little bitterness and some american hops citrus. A strong bready flavor comes in the finish, really adding a earthy tone to the flavors.

M - Moderate body, moderate to strong carbonation. A little bit bitey. No alcohol warmth detected. The body is consistent with other beers from Maui (big swell forexample), where it has some sort of innate creaminess.

O/D - An interesting beer I would put in the same neighborhood as a saison. Not quite as light and funky however. ABV is up there but you wouldn't know it. A bit filling. I like this one mainly because it reminds of me Belgians rather than a more traditional american style.

katan, Jan 13, 2013

drewone, Dec 08, 2012
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Nov 29, 2012

Liana, Mar 17, 2013

brotherloco, May 04, 2013

tbone1384, Aug 21, 2013

MikeRoni, Apr 23, 2013

Gambrinus1184, Apr 17, 2013

beerforpresident, Nov 02, 2014

DarthGuitarHero, Jan 17, 2013
Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.