Liquid Breadfruit - Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-17-2012

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.74/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz can pours a clear, dark gold color with a fluffy and full white head. Fades fast unfortunately and does not leave much lacing.

Nose is surprisingly neutral...mostly grainy malt with a hint of toast. If I had to guess a fruit, the lightly tropical starfruit comes to mind, though I must admit I have never had a breadfruit, or toasted papaya seeds for that matter.

Taste is anything but neutral! The flavors explode with a fruitcake grainy-gin soaked flavor that is very disappointing. There is no flow, and the grainy toast and fruit clash big time. It is sweet, but there is not enough (of the right) hops to offset it. I think a piney, sharp varietal might have worked better...although I am not sure anything could save this train wreck. And to think this six-pack was $15!! Ridiculous. This is the worst Maui beer I have had. This is also the worst DFH beer I have ever had. Bad beer, I dont know WTF I am going to do with the rest of these cans, I sure as shit dont want them. Im pretty pissed at both breweries actually for letting this one out into the wild, and makes me wonder what the hell Sam and Garrett were thinking. (1,138 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -30.1%

Very mild nose with some mild apple and florals. Slightly bready. Honestly, the first thing i thought of was the smell of clean laundry, which is a fine smell in and of itself, but not coming out of my beer. Very light and dry taste, slightly malty. Not as sweet as i was expecting. (282 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Had with rd1163
First beer of the day while prepping some BBQ tri-tip for dinner.

A - Deep dark orangey-golden color, cloudy, with slightly off-white head that went from a solid foamy not very porous head down to a thin white lace covering after 5 minutes.

S - light papaya smell, slightly bready smell. Hint of mango, smells creamy or full bodied.

T - Decently hoppy beer, bitterness does not last for long, lightly fruity sweetness, and some crispness. starts out creamy before the bitterness and floral notes come through.

M - creamy, then bitter and slightly crisp and acidic.

Serving type: can (772 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -25.2%

Lightly chilled 12 oz. can into a shaker pint. Canning date 11.22.12

Look- Pours a clear amber with three fingers of crackly off-white head that sticks around long enough to border on annoying. The miniature epic on the can is actually annoying, but I won't fault them too much for the packaging.

Smell- Vanilla wafer cookies, honey, shortbread, white cake. Not particularly fruity, but definitely sweet and bready. Very nice. As the head falls and it warms a bit, there's a distinct cideriness that asserts itself. Swirling brings out some less pleasant aromas, moldy cardboard, acetone, and sour green apple. These unappealing aromas remain extremely faint but grow a bit as the beer hits room temperature. I was all set to give this beer a 4 on aroma, but the follow-up was moderately off-putting.

Taste- Similar to the aroma, in both the good and bad aspects. Toasted white bread, white cake, and what I interpret as honeydew melon are nice, but there's also something ashy and band-aid-y about it. Finishes with pear cider and a spicy earthiness that I can't quite put my finger on. Becomes blander and feels more and more "off" as it warms.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, soft carbonation. Drier than expected, almost chalky finish. Feels full, juicy but not light, like double- or triple-brewed hard-water tea with honey.

Overall- Well, what can I say? Fool me once.... This will be the second and last time that I shell out money for a Maui canned craft collaboration after the less-than-enjoyable Sobrehumano Palena'ole. This one was decent chilled, but letting it warm up just brought out the worst in it, and the more I drank the less I felt like finishing it. It might be their "thing", but whatever's going on in the background of the two beers I've had is pretty darn off-putting to me. Interesting ingredients and big-name craft brewery backing do not a good beer make. (1,888 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shared by the Rhino!

The beer is very light orange and completely transparent with a half inch of white head. The aroma offers tropical fruit, alcohol, sweet malt, oddness. Weird flavor as well. Like a cloying mixed drink. Light spice. Lots of boozy sweetness. Not my thing. (275 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -22.6%

A new collaboration between DFH and Maui brewing. I heard about this when I was at the brewpub this summer and have looked forward to trying it. Poured from can into HF stemware glass. Pours a somewhat cloudy golden color, just a little bit of head retention, not much. Smell- bready, yeasty aroma. A little rosy perfume. Smells like a decent golden ale/blonde ale. Not too much going on. Taste- Oh no. Where I was expecting to get a nice sweet bready malt, I was greeted by a weird bitterness and something that reminds me of stale tonic water. Just no sweetness to speak of whatsoever- I don't get it. More and more, I can't get my mind away from the stale tonic water flavor. There aren't many redeeming qualities to this beer and I regret buying a 6 pack of it. Wonder what DFH's version will be...this one sucks. (817 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance: Holy head, Batman! That's a level of froth that would do Santorum proud! White, pillowy, sensual. Cloudy yellow ale. Intriguing.

Smell: Wheat, earthy, mild spice and fruit.

Taste: Sweet, tangy, some heat form the alcohol but not nearly enough to justify the ABV. This one is deceptive, and will knock you on your ass if you're not careful.

Mouthfeel: Clean and scouring.

Overall: It's good, but the novelty of it doesn't justify the price. (In Arizona, I paid $12.99 for a sixer of this.) Worth a try, but honestly, not good enough to continue buying. (567 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can, poured into a Goblet

Appearance: Pours a very pretty, golden/copper color with a very pronounced orange hue and a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved away into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department, actually. I don’t get much of anything, which is disappointing.

Taste: However, there’s lots of flavor to this beer! Toasted malt up front, imparting notes of sweet Hawaiian bread, followed by some fruity tropical flavors, such as papaya, mango, a touch of pineapple and banana, as well as some grapefruit and apple. Very good.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty effervescent. With an ABV of 8.2%, there should be some alcohol warmth on the palate, but there’s not. I think all of that fruit masks it well.

Overall: Good beer. Really interesting flavors of toasted malt and tropical fruit, all really well balanced together. Definitely worth a try. (962 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

First beer of the day while prepping some BBQ tri-tip for dinner.

M - creamy, then bitter and slightly crisp and acidic.

O - Not the best tasting beer for a collaboration I was expecting more. It is reminiscent of a Budweiser with some dry hops and maybe a touch of tropical fruit flavor. (738 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -10.4%

Milky, honeyed amber with cornsilk highlights when backlit and a lumpy white head that fades into blobs of foam on the glass. The aroma is sweet with lime, alcohol and tropical fruit. Odd flavors that feel a little rough around the edges, alcohol and untoasted grain with a spicy finish. I have never had breadfruit but I think I taste it and it's not for me. Light bodied and highly carbonated. A different beer but a little too much alcoholic heat for the style IMO. (468 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz can. Pours a hazy golden orange with a big meringue white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is wit-like with some tropical fruit and funky yeast and pepper.

The flavor is earthy yeast with light tropical fruits and some peppery spices. There's some phenolic bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, it's more yeasty than fruity but a bit phenolic. (434 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Out of a chilled aluminum can on the tail end of an extremely introspective trip (of sorts).

English pale ale maltiness on the attack. There is another kind of sourness here that amplifies the ale tartness, must be the breadfruit. Well hopped with a bit of apple and pear flavors.

The flavor of this beer is really dominated by the breadfruit, which is what they were looking for, I guess. It's got an interestingly sweet acidity to it and a strong lingering bitterness which feels somewhat distinct from normal hop bittering. It's a thick, grapefruit-like bitterness that combines well with tartness to produce a powerful, round aftertaste. The acidity is a bit overpowering and reminds me of some less-than-desirable homebrew batches I've made. (749 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12 oz can in to a pint glass.

A pleasant dark gold color with a little bit of floating sediment, making it semi-hazy. Thin white head that quickly dissipates.

Nice tropical fruit flavors in the nose, like papaya and passion fruit. A bit of lime-y citrus, some grassiness. Alcohol is present.

Orange citrus comes through first in the taste, followed by some tropical fruits, a little breadiness. Lime zest on the finish. Again, the alcohol is apparent, there's a distracting booziness.

Nicely carbonated, comes on dry then a little viscous in the middle. Ends pretty clean.

Overall, my biggest complaint is the booziness. It's distracting and overpowers the flavors of the adjuncts. Why did they make it 8%? There's some nice stuff going on in this beer, but I feel like if it was a 5% pale ale or blonde it would have worked much better. (858 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can. Clear gold with a bright-white foamy cap. This initially retains with some decent lacing but eventually the whole things goes quite dead looking. Smells very sweet with notes of honey, bread and tropical fruit. Maybe some green citrus in thee as well. There is also a different kind of accent that is coming across as vinous or maybe a touch medicinal. The taste is similar with a combination of sugary doughs and a fruitiness that is half pithy and sweet. That strange vinous quality is present as well. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller with a firm creaminess that fills the mouth. This has a touch of warmth but most of the alcohol is mostly felt in the thickness of the body. This was interesting but not quite in a good way I’m afraid. I wish the flavors were a bit more discernible from each other, which coupled with the bigger body to make for a combo that was quite frankly a little boring to put down. I’m glad I just picked up a single can of this. (973 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz can picked up for $3 at Bier Thirty a few days ago.. poured into my slim tulip... short lasting eggshell head... little lacing... the brew is fairly clear light orange.

The nose honestly smells like... "beer".. slightly tropical fruity hoppy "beer"... maybe some slight persimmon if my mind is on straight.

Flavor is "slightly big beer".. I get a mild tropical fruitiness... fermented out honey, lightly earthy.. and something else that makes me think Viet cinnamon (very light).. possibly some light clove.

Light/medium body with a good carbonation..

Honestly... No Shit... The only HONEST good thing I can say about this beer is that the ABV is pretty well hidden.

This beer is not worth seeking out. Breadfruit or not, just sooo average.

3.5/3/3.5/3.5/3 (769 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with moderate haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam. Pretty attractive.

Smell: toasty, bready and biscuity character with an unplaceable fruitiness. Quite earthy. Not too bad, although the biscuity quality is not really my bag.

Taste: sweet and perfumey with some of that biscuity malt underneath. There's also a pronounced alcoholic component here; I think the flavors aren't quite strong enough to stand up to the booze. Again, the overall character is quite earthy with an interesting but hard-to-define fruity quality. I like the idea of this beer, but the flavors (particularly the perfume-biscuit-alcohol combo) just don't mix well for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a quite-nice creaminess. Good stuff.

Overall: I would not go after this beer again, but I think it has opened my mind to the possibility of breadfruit in beer. A breadfruit weizen, maybe? In any case, the formulation of this brew just isn't to my taste. (1,073 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Liquid Breadfruit is a collaboration brew made by Maui Brewing Company and Dogfish Head Brewing. My expectations were high for this offering, knowing the experimental nature of DFH and Maui’s penchant for creating something tasty from unlikely ingredients. While this beer was only brewed once, I have to admit I wasn’t a huge fan. What it bolsters in pedigree and hype it lacks in the robust flavor profile I have come to expect from DFH.

Don’t get me wrong, this is no BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) aberration. Dogfish and Maui have created a very complex beer with a leading flavor profile of uncommon ingredients. Typically, a beer with an 8.2% ABV has more than a touch of booziness, but Liquid Breadfruit hides its alcohol content very well! As it warmed however, the flavors began to muddle and the alcohol began to creep toward the front of the flavor profile.

This beer is fruit sweet, not sticky / syrupy sweet, so fans on fruit beers like Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy and Abita’s Purple Haze should enjoy this; the one caveat being this isn’t a light beer by any stretch of the imagination. Malts are the chosen vehicle to deliver the tropical flavors of guava, papaya and breadfruit. This shakes the typical soda-thin mouthfeel of fruit beers, with LBF taking on a little more chewiness while not getting too thick and bready.

Availability: This was a special one-time offering. I doubt you’ll find it in stores (I snagged the last can from my local bottle shop), but if you do, buy it. It was worth sampling, though I couldn’t see purchasing a sixer of it. (1,582 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A-clear amber color with a nice off-white head and decent lacing

S-wheat bread, pineapple, herbal, a little funky

T-slightly sweet,yeasty bready malt, little herbal and spicy,little tropical fruit, some alcohol noted

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth

O-interesting, but doesn't seem to quite all work together (327 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A collaboration beer from Maui Brewing Co. and Dogfish Head Brewing. It was a nice golden colour with a definite tropical nose. It was slightly bitter with a mild hoppy finish, mild carbonation as well. (202 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Maui/Dogfish collab!!!! Wooop!! So this can pours up light copper colour with small off white head. Nose is caramel, slight lime, vanilla. Taste is bitter citrus hops with a sticky mouthfeel, very sweet light malts, kiss of lemon. Never had breadfruit or toasted papaya seeds so I can't give ya anything there. Medium body, mellow yet crisp carbo, for sure masks the 8.2 alky. For sure a fruity American Pale. Not too shabby. Btw, drinkin this while I listen to my Corn Dog play her new banjo :) (495 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Canned: unable to tell, all cans only partially labeled

Nearly solid light orange colored ale with some patches of light cream foam. Smells of tropical fruit juice, biscuity malts, some hints of passionfruit and more malts. Tastes sweet, reminds me initially of very ripe papaya, then some grape and apple alongside a faintness of pineapple. Medium bodied with a velvet character and small carb. This is an interesting beer, very fruity, but I can't really relate to the individual flavors - like being asked to describe persimmons or something... (548 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from 12oz can into Globe glass.

A. Pours 2 finger head. Color is a vibrant bright orange. Moderate retention. Not muc lacing. Color is awesome.

S. Fruity, earthy, has a mustiness to it. Interesting smell. Maybe a bit of honey, along with a varied tropical smell. Quite a lot going on with the aroma of this beer. Sweet malt. Overall pretty sweet.

T. Malty, bready, semi sweet. Not all that good. Bread fruit is a pretty apt description for the flavor of this beer. Not my cup of tea.

M. Medium bodied. LIngering sweetness. Medium carbonation.

O. What do you expect from a Dogfish Head beer. Some are good, others are not. This isnt a bad beer, just not a flavor that works for me. Wish is tastes more like the smell. ABV is not very apparent. A struggle to put the whole thing down. (797 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer comes to me from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a touch of fruit. Taste is alcohol, some fruitiness, a touch of medicinal flavor at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and decent beer. (327 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange color, No lacing. Head is mild and white with thin foam.

Very English yeasty... Dry, bready, and slightly tart (think blackberries)

It's refreshing, smooth, easy drinking, not hot, well (heavy) carbonated, much flavor is severely lacking. Bready, missing lots of fruit flavors. Tastes like knockoff gummy snacks...

A very small step above an average fruit brew. Worth $4/12oz can just to try, but would never think about getting at again... Kinda recommend?? (475 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

Can to pint

A - very murky/cloudy orange; some bubbly lacing; foamy near half-inch white head

S - bready; sweetly peppery; hints of peaches; a little musty; a bit of honey; some papaya notes; slightly citrus/tropical fruity

T - the musty meat-fruit stank shines; this beer has some varying flavors but foremost is that peppery passionfruit sweetbread thing; some significant malt flavors here; a bit sweet with a strange bitterness towards the back end; burnt apples

M - medium bodied; noticeable booziness; chewy; acidic; nice carbonation

O - there's a flavor note here that lingers for a while after the sip is gone; the flavor is not really ideal and keeps 'pinging' the back of your tongue; it may be the yeast used; it's an interesting beer for sure...and while I don't know what breadfruit tastes like, I don't imagine I'll be clamoring for it based on this beer. I wish the nose flavors came through instead of the bitter, peppery yeast. My burps from this taste like batteries. (990 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.