Liquid Breadfruit - Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-17-2012)

1.25/5  rDev -63.3%

1.5/5  rDev -56%

1.7/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz can pours a clear, dark gold color with a fluffy and full white head. Fades fast unfortunately and does not leave much lacing.

Nose is surprisingly neutral...mostly grainy malt with a hint of toast. If I had to guess a fruit, the lightly tropical starfruit comes to mind, though I must admit I have never had a breadfruit, or toasted papaya seeds for that matter.

Taste is anything but neutral! The flavors explode with a fruitcake grainy-gin soaked flavor that is very disappointing. There is no flow, and the grainy toast and fruit clash big time. It is sweet, but there is not enough (of the right) hops to offset it. I think a piney, sharp varietal might have worked better...although I am not sure anything could save this train wreck. And to think this six-pack was $15!! Ridiculous. This is the worst Maui beer I have had. This is also the worst DFH beer I have ever had. Bad beer, I dont know WTF I am going to do with the rest of these cans, I sure as shit dont want them. Im pretty pissed at both breweries actually for letting this one out into the wild, and makes me wonder what the hell Sam and Garrett were thinking.

2.25/5  rDev -34%

2.29/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Had with rd1163
First beer of the day while prepping some BBQ tri-tip for dinner.

A - Deep dark orangey-golden color, cloudy, with slightly off-white head that went from a solid foamy not very porous head down to a thin white lace covering after 5 minutes.

S - light papaya smell, slightly bready smell. Hint of mango, smells creamy or full bodied.

T - Decently hoppy beer, bitterness does not last for long, lightly fruity sweetness, and some crispness. starts out creamy before the bitterness and floral notes come through.

M - creamy, then bitter and slightly crisp and acidic.

O - Not the best tasting beer for a collaboration I was expecting more. It is reminiscent of a Budweiser with some dry hops and maybe a touch of tropical fruit flavor.

Serving type: can

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%

Very mild nose with some mild apple and florals. Slightly bready. Honestly, the first thing i thought of was the smell of clean laundry, which is a fine smell in and of itself, but not coming out of my beer. Very light and dry taste, slightly malty. Not as sweet as i was expecting.

2.55/5  rDev -25.2%

Lightly chilled 12 oz. can into a shaker pint. Canning date 11.22.12

Look- Pours a clear amber with three fingers of crackly off-white head that sticks around long enough to border on annoying. The miniature epic on the can is actually annoying, but I won't fault them too much for the packaging.

Smell- Vanilla wafer cookies, honey, shortbread, white cake. Not particularly fruity, but definitely sweet and bready. Very nice. As the head falls and it warms a bit, there's a distinct cideriness that asserts itself. Swirling brings out some less pleasant aromas, moldy cardboard, acetone, and sour green apple. These unappealing aromas remain extremely faint but grow a bit as the beer hits room temperature. I was all set to give this beer a 4 on aroma, but the follow-up was moderately off-putting.

Taste- Similar to the aroma, in both the good and bad aspects. Toasted white bread, white cake, and what I interpret as honeydew melon are nice, but there's also something ashy and band-aid-y about it. Finishes with pear cider and a spicy earthiness that I can't quite put my finger on. Becomes blander and feels more and more "off" as it warms.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, soft carbonation. Drier than expected, almost chalky finish. Feels full, juicy but not light, like double- or triple-brewed hard-water tea with honey.

Overall- Well, what can I say? Fool me once.... This will be the second and last time that I shell out money for a Maui canned craft collaboration after the less-than-enjoyable Sobrehumano Palena'ole. This one was decent chilled, but letting it warm up just brought out the worst in it, and the more I drank the less I felt like finishing it. It might be their "thing", but whatever's going on in the background of the two beers I've had is pretty darn off-putting to me. Interesting ingredients and big-name craft brewery backing do not a good beer make.

2.58/5  rDev -24.3%

A new collaboration between DFH and Maui brewing. I heard about this when I was at the brewpub this summer and have looked forward to trying it. Poured from can into HF stemware glass. Pours a somewhat cloudy golden color, just a little bit of head retention, not much. Smell- bready, yeasty aroma. A little rosy perfume. Smells like a decent golden ale/blonde ale. Not too much going on. Taste- Oh no. Where I was expecting to get a nice sweet bready malt, I was greeted by a weird bitterness and something that reminds me of stale tonic water. Just no sweetness to speak of whatsoever- I don't get it. More and more, I can't get my mind away from the stale tonic water flavor. There aren't many redeeming qualities to this beer and I regret buying a 6 pack of it. Wonder what DFH's version will be...this one sucks.

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shared by the Rhino!

The beer is very light orange and completely transparent with a half inch of white head. The aroma offers tropical fruit, alcohol, sweet malt, oddness. Weird flavor as well. Like a cloying mixed drink. Light spice. Lots of boozy sweetness. Not my thing.

2.79/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: Holy head, Batman! That's a level of froth that would do Santorum proud! White, pillowy, sensual. Cloudy yellow ale. Intriguing.

Smell: Wheat, earthy, mild spice and fruit.

Taste: Sweet, tangy, some heat form the alcohol but not nearly enough to justify the ABV. This one is deceptive, and will knock you on your ass if you're not careful.

Mouthfeel: Clean and scouring.

Overall: It's good, but the novelty of it doesn't justify the price. (In Arizona, I paid $12.99 for a sixer of this.) Worth a try, but honestly, not good enough to continue buying.

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

First beer of the day while prepping some BBQ tri-tip for dinner.

M - creamy, then bitter and slightly crisp and acidic.

Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.