2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Liquid Breadfruit - Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-17-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 167 | Reviews: 56 | Show All Ratings:
kojevergas

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

I've always loved the feel of Maui's cans. They're grippable and nice to hold. Seriously. The best cans in the industry. Bravo. 12 fl oz green aluminum can acquired tonight at K&L Wines in Hollywood. Expectations are low; I've heard bad things about this beer. But I do like Maui. "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds." 8.20% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours almost all foam in the glass. Head is obscene but recedes at a decent rate. Head is a milky khaki colour, with nice cream, good thickness, and great (7+ minute) retention. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a tropical hazy tangerine orange. Wisps of yeast residue are visible. Murky, hazy, and nontransparent, yet a bit translucent and glowing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exciting and different. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very very light. My broken nose has trouble detecting much of anything. Light nectar. Floral hops. Honey? A nectar fruit; I guess that's what breadfruit smells like. It's certainly tropical. A light aroma. Pleasant and generally inviting. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Hell, I don't even get any malts/grains. Maybe light papaya? Lime.

T: Pretty sweet, with papaya and tropical fruit esters coming through. Light tropical fruit hops and floral hops. Sweetens still further on the climax, becoming nectary in a fruity sense (as opposed to in a hop sense). Refreshing, clean, and enjoyable. I get some lime; it really comes out on the finish. I assume some of the fruit I'm getting is breadfruit, but I have no idea what breadfruit is or what it tastes like. Maybe a dash of saltiness? Though that could be my brain playing tricks due to the lime. I could see where this could be too sweet for most. It's definitely simple, but I think the balance is surprisingly good. I think this flavour profile is exactly what they were going for, and I think it works. I quite like this.

Mf: Soft and chewy. Light and pleasant. Great carbonation; near ideal. Palate presence is good. Refreshing and enjoyable. Doesn't lack body.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - which hardly comes through at all. I understand why many may not like this, but I think it succeeds. They accomplished what they were trying to do, and I quite enjoy the outcome. An unexpected success from Maui/Dogfish Head. I'd get this again. Would make a good beach beer. I'd recommend this to friends, actually. I expected to hate this, but for what it is, it's rather good. Worth a try.

High B-

03-08-2013 06:12:36 | More by kojevergas
tone77

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer comes to me from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a touch of fruit. Taste is alcohol, some fruitiness, a touch of medicinal flavor at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and decent beer.

02-20-2013 06:28:03 | More by tone77
ThomasAWilson2

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Liquid Breadfruit is a collaboration brew made by Maui Brewing Company and Dogfish Head Brewing. My expectations were high for this offering, knowing the experimental nature of DFH and Maui’s penchant for creating something tasty from unlikely ingredients. While this beer was only brewed once, I have to admit I wasn’t a huge fan. What it bolsters in pedigree and hype it lacks in the robust flavor profile I have come to expect from DFH.

Don’t get me wrong, this is no BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) aberration. Dogfish and Maui have created a very complex beer with a leading flavor profile of uncommon ingredients. Typically, a beer with an 8.2% ABV has more than a touch of booziness, but Liquid Breadfruit hides its alcohol content very well! As it warmed however, the flavors began to muddle and the alcohol began to creep toward the front of the flavor profile.

This beer is fruit sweet, not sticky / syrupy sweet, so fans on fruit beers like Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy and Abita’s Purple Haze should enjoy this; the one caveat being this isn’t a light beer by any stretch of the imagination. Malts are the chosen vehicle to deliver the tropical flavors of guava, papaya and breadfruit. This shakes the typical soda-thin mouthfeel of fruit beers, with LBF taking on a little more chewiness while not getting too thick and bready.

Availability: This was a special one-time offering. I doubt you’ll find it in stores (I snagged the last can from my local bottle shop), but if you do, buy it. It was worth sampling, though I couldn’t see purchasing a sixer of it.

02-16-2013 04:18:03 | More by ThomasAWilson2
Samuel906

2.43/5  rDev -28.5%

Very mild nose with some mild apple and florals. Slightly bready. Honestly, the first thing i thought of was the smell of clean laundry, which is a fine smell in and of itself, but not coming out of my beer. Very light and dry taste, slightly malty. Not as sweet as i was expecting.

02-16-2013 03:28:11 | More by Samuel906
Justin_Neff

3.61/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a cloudy dark orange color. 2 finger, white, fizzy head that disappears pretty quickly but leaves a nice thin ring around the top. Light lacing, but falls right off the glass.

S: Some yeast esters. Definitely some sweet maltiness. Also sweet sugars. I'm not getting a whole lot here.

T: Packs a better punch than the smell would lead you to believe. Here I actually get a little of the breadfruit and definitely taste papaya. A little malt sweetness and virtually no bitterness. Better than I anticipated.

M: Light to medium body, good carbonation level. A little creamier than I thought it would be from the looks of things.

O: I had little expectation here, but this was overall better than I thought it would be. The taste was different and it was balanced very well. The 8% ABV is completely hidden.

02-06-2013 02:00:59 | More by Justin_Neff
biggred1

Indiana

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Milky, honeyed amber with cornsilk highlights when backlit and a lumpy white head that fades into blobs of foam on the glass. The aroma is sweet with lime, alcohol and tropical fruit. Odd flavors that feel a little rough around the edges, alcohol and untoasted grain with a spicy finish. I have never had breadfruit but I think I taste it and it's not for me. Light bodied and highly carbonated. A different beer but a little too much alcoholic heat for the style IMO.

02-03-2013 00:34:07 | More by biggred1
mactrail

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a lovely hazy amber in the Stella glass. Lots of white foam to start, and very carbonated in the mouth. A very funky note in the smell.

Like a fruity champagne. Breadfruit is virtually flavorless, so it's hard to account for the pineapple and pear flavors. Brewed with Calypso hops, according to the label, which are not very bitter or it's a low dosage.Some tartness is quite welcome after all the fruit. The sudsy mouthfeel is quite pleasant. The aftertaste gets more bitter, and more dry, so maybe their alleged orchard yeast is a stray Belgian. It's more like a Saison.

From the 12 oz can bought at Bine and Vine in San Diego. I had an infected can previously, from Total Wine in Tuscon.

01-31-2013 07:06:13 | More by mactrail
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shared by the Rhino!

The beer is very light orange and completely transparent with a half inch of white head. The aroma offers tropical fruit, alcohol, sweet malt, oddness. Weird flavor as well. Like a cloying mixed drink. Light spice. Lots of boozy sweetness. Not my thing.

01-27-2013 07:55:22 | More by Huhzubendah
LiquidAmber

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a cloudy orange amber with a finger of off white head with good retention and slippery lacing. Aroma of bready and caramel malt, unidentifiable fruit and a hint of vegetables. Flavor is sweet caramel malt, earthy fruit (the breadfruit?), a hint of stone fruits, finish has an odd astringent bitterness that lingers. Nice lightly creamy medium body. The initial flavors are pleasant and unusual, similar to a sweet Belgian golden but without Belgian yeast or spicing. The initial flavor drops off quickly, leaving the finish out of balance, overwhelming the other lingering flavors, which is unfortunate, because this was otherwise quite unusual and intriguing.

01-25-2013 04:05:00 | More by LiquidAmber
oishiibiiru

Hawaii

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

Had this on tap at Real. Excellent. Nice golden color. Smelled like overripe fruit, but in a good way. Pleasant breadfruit finish. Well balanced hops, easy drinking for a decent/high abv.
Had it in the can also... Nowhere near as good. Tasted like your average IPA.

01-23-2013 23:21:33 | More by oishiibiiru
JayQue

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

A plain tasting, fairly good beer...hardly worth the hoopla over exotic ingredients. Pours a nice clear dark gold /copper color with a big bubbly white head and good lacing. Head retention is better than average...A good looking beer.

Smell and taste are fairly average. Tastes like a well brewed lager. No corn and rice staleness....just a malty, light feeling beer with a little hoppiness in the finish. The kind of stuff Budweiser should be making.

Mouthfeel is crisp and rich enough to be a good lager....The 8.2% abv is a BIG surprise. This beer hides the alcohol well. If I had a six pack of this on a hot day, I would probably pound a few before reality sunk in.

If you are looking for something unusual, this is not it. All the same, it is a good summertime thirst quencher at a higher than normal octane level.

01-20-2013 19:54:09 | More by JayQue
Lawl3ss

2.55/5  rDev -25%

Lightly chilled 12 oz. can into a shaker pint. Canning date 11.22.12

Look- Pours a clear amber with three fingers of crackly off-white head that sticks around long enough to border on annoying. The miniature epic on the can is actually annoying, but I won't fault them too much for the packaging.

Smell- Vanilla wafer cookies, honey, shortbread, white cake. Not particularly fruity, but definitely sweet and bready. Very nice. As the head falls and it warms a bit, there's a distinct cideriness that asserts itself. Swirling brings out some less pleasant aromas, moldy cardboard, acetone, and sour green apple. These unappealing aromas remain extremely faint but grow a bit as the beer hits room temperature. I was all set to give this beer a 4 on aroma, but the follow-up was moderately off-putting.

Taste- Similar to the aroma, in both the good and bad aspects. Toasted white bread, white cake, and what I interpret as honeydew melon are nice, but there's also something ashy and band-aid-y about it. Finishes with pear cider and a spicy earthiness that I can't quite put my finger on. Becomes blander and feels more and more "off" as it warms.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, soft carbonation. Drier than expected, almost chalky finish. Feels full, juicy but not light, like double- or triple-brewed hard-water tea with honey.

Overall- Well, what can I say? Fool me once.... This will be the second and last time that I shell out money for a Maui canned craft collaboration after the less-than-enjoyable Sobrehumano Palena'ole. This one was decent chilled, but letting it warm up just brought out the worst in it, and the more I drank the less I felt like finishing it. It might be their "thing", but whatever's going on in the background of the two beers I've had is pretty darn off-putting to me. Interesting ingredients and big-name craft brewery backing do not a good beer make.

01-19-2013 07:35:02 | More by Lawl3ss
katan

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz can

A - Golden, hazy, thick looking. Lots of head formation, off white in color. Looks quite unfiltered.

S - Strong yeast flavors, bread, with hints of spiciness. Citrus and whatever I guess breadfruit is adds something here.

T - Starts off lightly malty, but then it comes through with some hefty spiciness. Some hopping comes in in the middle, adds a little bitterness and some american hops citrus. A strong bready flavor comes in the finish, really adding a earthy tone to the flavors.

M - Moderate body, moderate to strong carbonation. A little bit bitey. No alcohol warmth detected. The body is consistent with other beers from Maui (big swell forexample), where it has some sort of innate creaminess.

O/D - An interesting beer I would put in the same neighborhood as a saison. Not quite as light and funky however. ABV is up there but you wouldn't know it. A bit filling. I like this one mainly because it reminds of me Belgians rather than a more traditional american style.

01-13-2013 00:04:58 | More by katan
lnashsig

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

A new collaboration between DFH and Maui brewing. I heard about this when I was at the brewpub this summer and have looked forward to trying it. Poured from can into HF stemware glass. Pours a somewhat cloudy golden color, just a little bit of head retention, not much. Smell- bready, yeasty aroma. A little rosy perfume. Smells like a decent golden ale/blonde ale. Not too much going on. Taste- Oh no. Where I was expecting to get a nice sweet bready malt, I was greeted by a weird bitterness and something that reminds me of stale tonic water. Just no sweetness to speak of whatsoever- I don't get it. More and more, I can't get my mind away from the stale tonic water flavor. There aren't many redeeming qualities to this beer and I regret buying a 6 pack of it. Wonder what DFH's version will be...this one sucks.

01-06-2013 19:27:32 | More by lnashsig
flagmantho

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with moderate haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam. Pretty attractive.

Smell: toasty, bready and biscuity character with an unplaceable fruitiness. Quite earthy. Not too bad, although the biscuity quality is not really my bag.

Taste: sweet and perfumey with some of that biscuity malt underneath. There's also a pronounced alcoholic component here; I think the flavors aren't quite strong enough to stand up to the booze. Again, the overall character is quite earthy with an interesting but hard-to-define fruity quality. I like the idea of this beer, but the flavors (particularly the perfume-biscuit-alcohol combo) just don't mix well for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a quite-nice creaminess. Good stuff.

Overall: I would not go after this beer again, but I think it has opened my mind to the possibility of breadfruit in beer. A breadfruit weizen, maybe? In any case, the formulation of this brew just isn't to my taste.

01-05-2013 02:38:38 | More by flagmantho
stumac

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Maui/Dogfish collab!!!! Wooop!! So this can pours up light copper colour with small off white head. Nose is caramel, slight lime, vanilla. Taste is bitter citrus hops with a sticky mouthfeel, very sweet light malts, kiss of lemon. Never had breadfruit or toasted papaya seeds so I can't give ya anything there. Medium body, mellow yet crisp carbo, for sure masks the 8.2 alky. For sure a fruity American Pale. Not too shabby. Btw, drinkin this while I listen to my Corn Dog play her new banjo :)

01-04-2013 06:53:24 | More by stumac
StonedTrippin

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

dogfish collaboration. clever idea, well executed, just strange ingredients. the pour is cloudy and pale yellow with a lovely white lacey head a few fingers high. very unassuming. the nose is tropical for sure, more like passion fruits from what i can gather, and plenty of wheat malt. yeast seems weird, juicy and fruity again. the taste is like no other beer ever. so much going on over a wheat malt base. passion fruit seems familiar, but it isnt that, its almost like holiday fruitcakey, strong alcohol and sweetness. the toasted seeds are hard to pick out, not sure what they taste like on their own, so its hard to tell. tart finish, hard to place the yeast, its definitely unique. peach flavors in the finish. good carbonation, sudsy feel, and enough carbonation, but there is a slightly soapy slickness in the finish that isnt quite right. i applaud this effort, and always like what maui is up to. cool choice of ingredients, worth a try if you feel adventurous.

01-01-2013 01:24:14 | More by StonedTrippin
twiggamortis420

1.7/5  rDev -50%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz can pours a clear, dark gold color with a fluffy and full white head. Fades fast unfortunately and does not leave much lacing.

Nose is surprisingly neutral...mostly grainy malt with a hint of toast. If I had to guess a fruit, the lightly tropical starfruit comes to mind, though I must admit I have never had a breadfruit, or toasted papaya seeds for that matter.

Taste is anything but neutral! The flavors explode with a fruitcake grainy-gin soaked flavor that is very disappointing. There is no flow, and the grainy toast and fruit clash big time. It is sweet, but there is not enough (of the right) hops to offset it. I think a piney, sharp varietal might have worked better...although I am not sure anything could save this train wreck. And to think this six-pack was $15!! Ridiculous. This is the worst Maui beer I have had. This is also the worst DFH beer I have ever had. Bad beer, I dont know WTF I am going to do with the rest of these cans, I sure as shit dont want them. Im pretty pissed at both breweries actually for letting this one out into the wild, and makes me wonder what the hell Sam and Garrett were thinking.

01-01-2013 00:21:01 | More by twiggamortis420
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from 12oz can into Globe glass.

A. Pours 2 finger head. Color is a vibrant bright orange. Moderate retention. Not muc lacing. Color is awesome.

S. Fruity, earthy, has a mustiness to it. Interesting smell. Maybe a bit of honey, along with a varied tropical smell. Quite a lot going on with the aroma of this beer. Sweet malt. Overall pretty sweet.

T. Malty, bready, semi sweet. Not all that good. Bread fruit is a pretty apt description for the flavor of this beer. Not my cup of tea.

M. Medium bodied. LIngering sweetness. Medium carbonation.

O. What do you expect from a Dogfish Head beer. Some are good, others are not. This isnt a bad beer, just not a flavor that works for me. Wish is tastes more like the smell. ABV is not very apparent. A struggle to put the whole thing down.

12-31-2012 21:35:15 | More by siradmiralnelson
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz can picked up for $3 at Bier Thirty a few days ago.. poured into my slim tulip... short lasting eggshell head... little lacing... the brew is fairly clear light orange.

The nose honestly smells like... "beer".. slightly tropical fruity hoppy "beer"... maybe some slight persimmon if my mind is on straight.

Flavor is "slightly big beer".. I get a mild tropical fruitiness... fermented out honey, lightly earthy.. and something else that makes me think Viet cinnamon (very light).. possibly some light clove.

Light/medium body with a good carbonation..

Honestly... No Shit... The only HONEST good thing I can say about this beer is that the ABV is pretty well hidden.

This beer is not worth seeking out. Breadfruit or not, just sooo average.

3.5/3/3.5/3.5/3

12-29-2012 07:51:48 | More by JohnGalt1
rand

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

From can to nonic pint glass

A: Apricot in color, dank and cloudy, the beer forms a solid 2-inch head that cascades down the glass.

S: Sweet malts and unripe, astringent fruit hits the nose first. Admittedly I hadn't heard of breadfruit until I'd picked this up, but there's definitely a semi-sweet tropical tone I'd assume comes from its addition. Sweet bouquet with pronounced aromas.

T: The tropical note hits first. Surprisingly it's not sweet, sort of a bitter tropical bend if there's such a thing. The brew's not all that hoppy, but the bitter aspects of the fruit (is it a fruit? I'll Google later) nicely cut through the sweet malt-backbone. There are some subtle musty and earthy notes that play at the edge of the profile. A touch of hop astrigency dries the palate toward the end, as it finishes short and balanced.

M: Medium-bodied given the ABV. Refreshing experience overall

Surprised how much I like this. Maui is getting good at taking the best of craft brewing and bending them to an 'island experience'. I could definitely see myself on a beach knocking this back. Like those teasing Corona commercial but with good brew.

12-29-2012 04:19:56 | More by rand
SkeeterBoganski

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Can to pint

A - very murky/cloudy orange; some bubbly lacing; foamy near half-inch white head

S - bready; sweetly peppery; hints of peaches; a little musty; a bit of honey; some papaya notes; slightly citrus/tropical fruity

T - the musty meat-fruit stank shines; this beer has some varying flavors but foremost is that peppery passionfruit sweetbread thing; some significant malt flavors here; a bit sweet with a strange bitterness towards the back end; burnt apples

M - medium bodied; noticeable booziness; chewy; acidic; nice carbonation

O - there's a flavor note here that lingers for a while after the sip is gone; the flavor is not really ideal and keeps 'pinging' the back of your tongue; it may be the yeast used; it's an interesting beer for sure...and while I don't know what breadfruit tastes like, I don't imagine I'll be clamoring for it based on this beer. I wish the nose flavors came through instead of the bitter, peppery yeast. My burps from this taste like batteries.

12-21-2012 22:01:02 | More by SkeeterBoganski
chugalug06

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange color, No lacing. Head is mild and white with thin foam.

Very English yeasty... Dry, bready, and slightly tart (think blackberries)

It's refreshing, smooth, easy drinking, not hot, well (heavy) carbonated, much flavor is severely lacking. Bready, missing lots of fruit flavors. Tastes like knockoff gummy snacks...

A very small step above an average fruit brew. Worth $4/12oz can just to try, but would never think about getting at again... Kinda recommend??

12-21-2012 00:42:55 | More by chugalug06
rawfish

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a murky gold from the striking electric green can. Forms a very small half inch head that is gone in seconds. Slight bits of lacing fall off the glass on each sip.

Bready with a touch of honey, sourdough comes to mind as there is a mild acidity associated with the fruity esters of the yeast. Fruit aromas hit high on the glass a mild peach, papaya and persimmon aroma comes through. A bit earthy and musty, likely from the toasted papaya seeds and the breadfruit.

Bready (of course) with a drop of honey and lightly toasted malts. Features a vibrant fruit and spice range that includes lemon lime, black tea and ginger ale. Finishes with an earthy bitterness like oolong tea and a flash of acidity.

Crisp carbonation works well with the tart fruitiness that the yeast imparts. Ideal body and the high alcohol is covered well.

Leave it to Dogfish to add in ingredients that are so unique they're impossible to discern individually. My experience with toasted papaya seeds is limited to salad dressing but at least I've had breadfruit before, more of a vegetable than a fruit, mild, earthy flavor much like a potato or taro with a bit more acidity, matches well with malt in beer. Positive outlook on this beer, solid use of ingredients and the yeast really has something going for it. Not really "tropical" but a damn good staple for the fridge.

12-18-2012 06:35:56 | More by rawfish
mdaschaf

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color with a small white head, rather foamy that reduces to a nice cap on top with some pretty nice lacing all around the glass.

S: Some light tropical fruit on the aroma, mostly passion fruit with a bit of lemon/lime citrus and some bready malt.

T: Not as fruity as the aroma, definitely a bit breadier. There is again a bit of passion fruit/papaya, but the citrus isn't really there. A heavy dose of fresh bread comes through in the middle.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Pretty clean.

O: Pretty good beer, a little fruitier on the flavor profile would have done it for me.

12-15-2012 21:52:13 | More by mdaschaf
Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.