Liquid Breadfruit - Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-17-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

04-02-2013 23:56:22 | More by thegerm87
Kegatron

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can. Clear gold with a bright-white foamy cap. This initially retains with some decent lacing but eventually the whole things goes quite dead looking. Smells very sweet with notes of honey, bread and tropical fruit. Maybe some green citrus in thee as well. There is also a different kind of accent that is coming across as vinous or maybe a touch medicinal. The taste is similar with a combination of sugary doughs and a fruitiness that is half pithy and sweet. That strange vinous quality is present as well. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller with a firm creaminess that fills the mouth. This has a touch of warmth but most of the alcohol is mostly felt in the thickness of the body. This was interesting but not quite in a good way I’m afraid. I wish the flavors were a bit more discernible from each other, which coupled with the bigger body to make for a combo that was quite frankly a little boring to put down. I’m glad I just picked up a single can of this.

04-01-2013 14:37:06 | More by Kegatron
woemad

Washington

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

12oz can that’s been hidden in my fridge for several months. According to the stamp on the bottom of the can, this was canned October 5, 2012.

Poured a hazy gold color, with a big, creamy looking white head. Said head retreated after a few minutes, leaving sheets of lace on the sides of an Eastern Washington University pint glass (Go Eag’s).

Initially, a mild, tropical fruit scent was all that the inquiring nostrils could detect. As things warmed up, there came to be some separate citrusy hop notes as well, along with more pear-like fruity scents, some vanilla and something not unlike the aroma of a white wine.

Very different tasting than I was expecting. Not nearly as fruity as I was expecting, with the vanilla-like flavor stepping up significantly. It reminds me a bit of an oak-aged white wine. That’s not to say the tropical fruit flavor is gone – it’s there, quite a lot actually – but it’s in the background, essentially acting as an outer garment keeping things wrapped together. The finish is surprisingly hot, given the rest of the taste, but it does have a relatively high alcohol percentage.

Medium bodied, with a slightly coating mouthfeel.

I wasn’t sure I would like this beer as a little bit of fruit flavor in beers generally goes a long way with me, but due to it’s restrained fruitiness and generally off-the-wall nature, I rather liked it/ I’m not sure I would want to drink numerous cans’ worth in a single sitting, but I think I made a good call purchasing this, and would not be afraid to do so again should the opportunity present itself.

03-31-2013 21:48:15 | More by woemad

03-28-2013 00:06:19 | More by BoRaeCho
stephenjmoore

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- A very nice looking deep gold body with a frothy, off-white head. Good transparency and good head retention.

S- Tropical fruits, honey, pomegranate, bready yeast, white grapes. Has some similarities in the nose to a white wine.

T- The taste is nothing like the nose. I was expecting tropical fruits, and some do come through, but the flavor is huge on the yeast. I guess this is where the "bread" part comes into play. Huge bready yeast flavors take everything over and offer just a hint of the tropical fruit flavors that come through in the nose. The finish is slightly hot too, with some noticeable, almost medicinal alcohol.

M- With it being very yeasty, it is somewhat heavier than it looks. Overall, pretty drinkable with a slight alcohol burn.

O- Looks great, smells great, there are good things here, but the overpowering yeast and somewhat boozy body leaves me looking for more. Not sure if this would be a good one to age, but slightly less yeast and alcohol would benefit this one.

03-26-2013 21:56:55 | More by stephenjmoore

03-19-2013 00:13:59 | More by DruRho
Danomeister

British Columbia (Canada)

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

Out of a chilled aluminum can on the tail end of an extremely introspective trip (of sorts).

English pale ale maltiness on the attack. There is another kind of sourness here that amplifies the ale tartness, must be the breadfruit. Well hopped with a bit of apple and pear flavors.

The flavor of this beer is really dominated by the breadfruit, which is what they were looking for, I guess. It's got an interestingly sweet acidity to it and a strong lingering bitterness which feels somewhat distinct from normal hop bittering. It's a thick, grapefruit-like bitterness that combines well with tartness to produce a powerful, round aftertaste. The acidity is a bit overpowering and reminds me of some less-than-desirable homebrew batches I've made.

03-17-2013 04:45:51 | More by Danomeister

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

03-10-2013 04:44:46 | More by leinie13
kojevergas

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

I've always loved the feel of Maui's cans. They're grippable and nice to hold. Seriously. The best cans in the industry. Bravo. 12 fl oz green aluminum can acquired tonight at K&L Wines in Hollywood. Expectations are low; I've heard bad things about this beer. But I do like Maui. "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds." 8.20% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours almost all foam in the glass. Head is obscene but recedes at a decent rate. Head is a milky khaki colour, with nice cream, good thickness, and great (7+ minute) retention. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a tropical hazy tangerine orange. Wisps of yeast residue are visible. Murky, hazy, and nontransparent, yet a bit translucent and glowing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exciting and different. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very very light. My broken nose has trouble detecting much of anything. Light nectar. Floral hops. Honey? A nectar fruit; I guess that's what breadfruit smells like. It's certainly tropical. A light aroma. Pleasant and generally inviting. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Hell, I don't even get any malts/grains. Maybe light papaya? Lime.

T: Pretty sweet, with papaya and tropical fruit esters coming through. Light tropical fruit hops and floral hops. Sweetens still further on the climax, becoming nectary in a fruity sense (as opposed to in a hop sense). Refreshing, clean, and enjoyable. I get some lime; it really comes out on the finish. I assume some of the fruit I'm getting is breadfruit, but I have no idea what breadfruit is or what it tastes like. Maybe a dash of saltiness? Though that could be my brain playing tricks due to the lime. I could see where this could be too sweet for most. It's definitely simple, but I think the balance is surprisingly good. I think this flavour profile is exactly what they were going for, and I think it works. I quite like this.

Mf: Soft and chewy. Light and pleasant. Great carbonation; near ideal. Palate presence is good. Refreshing and enjoyable. Doesn't lack body.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - which hardly comes through at all. I understand why many may not like this, but I think it succeeds. They accomplished what they were trying to do, and I quite enjoy the outcome. An unexpected success from Maui/Dogfish Head. I'd get this again. Would make a good beach beer. I'd recommend this to friends, actually. I expected to hate this, but for what it is, it's rather good. Worth a try.

High B-

duff247

02-25-2013 00:37:38 | More by duff247
ambruns1979

02-23-2013 09:41:33 | More by ambruns1979
Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.