Liquid Breadfruit - Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-17-2012)
2.98/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

First beer of the day while prepping some BBQ tri-tip for dinner.

A - Deep dark orangey-golden color, cloudy, with slightly off-white head that went from a solid foamy not very porous head down to a thin white lace covering after 5 minutes.

S - light papaya smell, slightly bready smell. Hint of mango, smells creamy or full bodied.

T - Decently hoppy beer, bitterness does not last for long, lightly fruity sweetness, and some crispness. starts out creamy before the bitterness and floral notes come through.

M - creamy, then bitter and slightly crisp and acidic.

O - Not the best tasting beer for a collaboration I was expecting more. It is reminiscent of a Budweiser with some dry hops and maybe a touch of tropical fruit flavor.

RD1163, Apr 07, 2013
4.41/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It is turning into a CANQuest (TM) day at Chez Woody with one CAN of beer after another surfacing for CANsumption. I was relieved to find this in the cooler at Max's Taproom in BAL during a recent visit as I knew that it was limited and a pending trade seemed to have stalled.

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds"; "National Tropical Botanical Garden [-] proceeds to benefit Breadfruit Institute"; "Millions of Delaware natives lusting tropic climes [CAN]not be wrong. We isolated a unique yeast strain on a peach farm near Dogfish Head Brewery. We mapped its DNA, brewed with it, and instantly fell in love with the fruity aromatics the yeast threw down. It immediately reminded me of Hawaii and Hawaii immediately reminds me of my pal Garrett at Maui Brewing Co. A collaborative brew seemed like a fun way to use this tropical yeast. - Sam"; "Breadfruit has been a staple crop for over 3000 years. It's very versatile and EXTREMELY tasty. My buddy Sam and I thought it'd be fun to brew with. Why not push the limits of beer a bit further? After all, beer has been called 'Liquid Bread' for centuries, right? So Liquid Breadfruit's time has come. - Garrett"; "I'm down with the idea of adding Hawaii's native breadfruit into the mix. To amplify the tropic thunderstorm that's brewing in this recipe let's hop this puppy with Calypso hops which throw a lot of pear and apple notes adding bitterness and aroma - Sam"; "Sounds great, let's use some toasted papaya seeds, it's a great spice to balance the breadfruit and compliment the fruitiness of Calypso hops and tropical notes lent by the philandering Delawarians. It was no small task to harvest all these seeds and fruit by hand ... but it sure beats chewing purple corn for weeks on end ... [undersigned] Garrett W. Marrero"; "It certainly does, Garrett. Let's do this! [undersigned] Samuel L. Calagione III"; Maui's truly local beer!"

The Crack revealed yet another brimful CAN and I was anxious to see what an inverted Glug might produce. Two fingers of dense, rocky eggshell-white head was part of the answer. The other part was a very perry-like scent that may cause people to wonder what I am doing in my kitchen today. Two very fruity estrous beers in a row have rendered the place smelling like an orchard of some sort. I do not personally know the smell of breadfruit, but upon leaning in, I definitely got papaya, a scent that always reminds me of female, if you get my drift. Papayas and mangoes ... Mmmm. Basically, this imparted a very tropical fruit scent with an inherent muskiness. Color was a deep, golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was soft, slightly full, with an unfamiliar fruitiness on the tongue. If it was the breadfruit or the Calypso hops, I CANnot tell you, but I CAN say that it was very mellow and quite tasty. The interplay of the fruit and the hops gave it a semi-dry finish with a hoppy bite on the swallow. I have got to read the new book on hops that was just released! Color me curious ...

woodychandler, Apr 07, 2013

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

thegerm87, Apr 02, 2013
3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can. Clear gold with a bright-white foamy cap. This initially retains with some decent lacing but eventually the whole things goes quite dead looking. Smells very sweet with notes of honey, bread and tropical fruit. Maybe some green citrus in thee as well. There is also a different kind of accent that is coming across as vinous or maybe a touch medicinal. The taste is similar with a combination of sugary doughs and a fruitiness that is half pithy and sweet. That strange vinous quality is present as well. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller with a firm creaminess that fills the mouth. This has a touch of warmth but most of the alcohol is mostly felt in the thickness of the body. This was interesting but not quite in a good way I’m afraid. I wish the flavors were a bit more discernible from each other, which coupled with the bigger body to make for a combo that was quite frankly a little boring to put down. I’m glad I just picked up a single can of this.

Kegatron, Apr 01, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

12oz can that’s been hidden in my fridge for several months. According to the stamp on the bottom of the can, this was canned October 5, 2012.

Poured a hazy gold color, with a big, creamy looking white head. Said head retreated after a few minutes, leaving sheets of lace on the sides of an Eastern Washington University pint glass (Go Eag’s).

Initially, a mild, tropical fruit scent was all that the inquiring nostrils could detect. As things warmed up, there came to be some separate citrusy hop notes as well, along with more pear-like fruity scents, some vanilla and something not unlike the aroma of a white wine.

Very different tasting than I was expecting. Not nearly as fruity as I was expecting, with the vanilla-like flavor stepping up significantly. It reminds me a bit of an oak-aged white wine. That’s not to say the tropical fruit flavor is gone – it’s there, quite a lot actually – but it’s in the background, essentially acting as an outer garment keeping things wrapped together. The finish is surprisingly hot, given the rest of the taste, but it does have a relatively high alcohol percentage.

Medium bodied, with a slightly coating mouthfeel.

I wasn’t sure I would like this beer as a little bit of fruit flavor in beers generally goes a long way with me, but due to it’s restrained fruitiness and generally off-the-wall nature, I rather liked it/ I’m not sure I would want to drink numerous cans’ worth in a single sitting, but I think I made a good call purchasing this, and would not be afraid to do so again should the opportunity present itself.

woemad, Mar 31, 2013

litheum94, Mar 30, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

BoRaeCho, Mar 28, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- A very nice looking deep gold body with a frothy, off-white head. Good transparency and good head retention.

S- Tropical fruits, honey, pomegranate, bready yeast, white grapes. Has some similarities in the nose to a white wine.

T- The taste is nothing like the nose. I was expecting tropical fruits, and some do come through, but the flavor is huge on the yeast. I guess this is where the "bread" part comes into play. Huge bready yeast flavors take everything over and offer just a hint of the tropical fruit flavors that come through in the nose. The finish is slightly hot too, with some noticeable, almost medicinal alcohol.

M- With it being very yeasty, it is somewhat heavier than it looks. Overall, pretty drinkable with a slight alcohol burn.

O- Looks great, smells great, there are good things here, but the overpowering yeast and somewhat boozy body leaves me looking for more. Not sure if this would be a good one to age, but slightly less yeast and alcohol would benefit this one.

stephenjmoore, Mar 26, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

ALBuff, Mar 25, 2013

GreyGhost4, Mar 23, 2013

DruRho, Mar 19, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

Out of a chilled aluminum can on the tail end of an extremely introspective trip (of sorts).

English pale ale maltiness on the attack. There is another kind of sourness here that amplifies the ale tartness, must be the breadfruit. Well hopped with a bit of apple and pear flavors.

The flavor of this beer is really dominated by the breadfruit, which is what they were looking for, I guess. It's got an interestingly sweet acidity to it and a strong lingering bitterness which feels somewhat distinct from normal hop bittering. It's a thick, grapefruit-like bitterness that combines well with tartness to produce a powerful, round aftertaste. The acidity is a bit overpowering and reminds me of some less-than-desirable homebrew batches I've made.

Danomeister, Mar 17, 2013

hpthebull, Mar 11, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

leinie13, Mar 10, 2013
3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

I've always loved the feel of Maui's cans. They're grippable and nice to hold. Seriously. The best cans in the industry. Bravo. 12 fl oz green aluminum can acquired tonight at K&L Wines in Hollywood. Expectations are low; I've heard bad things about this beer. But I do like Maui. "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds." 8.20% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours almost all foam in the glass. Head is obscene but recedes at a decent rate. Head is a milky khaki colour, with nice cream, good thickness, and great (7+ minute) retention. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a tropical hazy tangerine orange. Wisps of yeast residue are visible. Murky, hazy, and nontransparent, yet a bit translucent and glowing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exciting and different. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very very light. My broken nose has trouble detecting much of anything. Light nectar. Floral hops. Honey? A nectar fruit; I guess that's what breadfruit smells like. It's certainly tropical. A light aroma. Pleasant and generally inviting. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Hell, I don't even get any malts/grains. Maybe light papaya? Lime.

T: Pretty sweet, with papaya and tropical fruit esters coming through. Light tropical fruit hops and floral hops. Sweetens still further on the climax, becoming nectary in a fruity sense (as opposed to in a hop sense). Refreshing, clean, and enjoyable. I get some lime; it really comes out on the finish. I assume some of the fruit I'm getting is breadfruit, but I have no idea what breadfruit is or what it tastes like. Maybe a dash of saltiness? Though that could be my brain playing tricks due to the lime. I could see where this could be too sweet for most. It's definitely simple, but I think the balance is surprisingly good. I think this flavour profile is exactly what they were going for, and I think it works. I quite like this.

Mf: Soft and chewy. Light and pleasant. Great carbonation; near ideal. Palate presence is good. Refreshing and enjoyable. Doesn't lack body.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - which hardly comes through at all. I understand why many may not like this, but I think it succeeds. They accomplished what they were trying to do, and I quite enjoy the outcome. An unexpected success from Maui/Dogfish Head. I'd get this again. Would make a good beach beer. I'd recommend this to friends, actually. I expected to hate this, but for what it is, it's rather good. Worth a try.

High B-

kojevergas, Mar 08, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

bdtva, Mar 05, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -55.9%

Willcourt, Mar 02, 2013

rolltide8425, Feb 26, 2013

Mattyb79, Feb 26, 2013
Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.