1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Liquid Breadfruit - Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Halcyondays on 11-17-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 167 | Reviews: 56 | Show All Ratings:
UCLABrewN84

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy orange-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Small particles of sediment are seen floating around in the glass after the pour. Smell is of malt, alcohol, and earthy tropical fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with an alcohol kick and a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is quite strong and earthy for a fruit beer.

12-09-2012 06:05:59 | More by UCLABrewN84
Halcyondays

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can, picked up at The Wine Country, collaboration with Dogfish Head,

A: Pours a murky burnt orange, with a medium white head. Good head retention, frothy, limited lace.

S: Some tropical fruit, sourdough bread, papaya, but a fairly mild smell.

T: Sweet malt, orange, tropical fruit, pineapple, honey. I've never had breadfruit before, so I can't pinpoint where it's flavour is coming in, but this certainly tastes pretty good. Nice mix of flavours.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy, crisp carbonation. Tad cloying at times.

O: An interesting beer to try. I'm a sucker for new ideas and new ingredients in the brewing world. This is a $16-pack, but pick up a single to expand your palate.

11-17-2012 23:09:24 | More by Halcyondays
mactrail

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a lovely hazy amber in the Stella glass. Lots of white foam to start, and very carbonated in the mouth. A very funky note in the smell.

Like a fruity champagne. Breadfruit is virtually flavorless, so it's hard to account for the pineapple and pear flavors. Brewed with Calypso hops, according to the label, which are not very bitter or it's a low dosage.Some tartness is quite welcome after all the fruit. The sudsy mouthfeel is quite pleasant. The aftertaste gets more bitter, and more dry, so maybe their alleged orchard yeast is a stray Belgian. It's more like a Saison.

From the 12 oz can bought at Bine and Vine in San Diego. I had an infected can previously, from Total Wine in Tuscon.

01-31-2013 07:06:13 | More by mactrail
StonedTrippin

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

dogfish collaboration. clever idea, well executed, just strange ingredients. the pour is cloudy and pale yellow with a lovely white lacey head a few fingers high. very unassuming. the nose is tropical for sure, more like passion fruits from what i can gather, and plenty of wheat malt. yeast seems weird, juicy and fruity again. the taste is like no other beer ever. so much going on over a wheat malt base. passion fruit seems familiar, but it isnt that, its almost like holiday fruitcakey, strong alcohol and sweetness. the toasted seeds are hard to pick out, not sure what they taste like on their own, so its hard to tell. tart finish, hard to place the yeast, its definitely unique. peach flavors in the finish. good carbonation, sudsy feel, and enough carbonation, but there is a slightly soapy slickness in the finish that isnt quite right. i applaud this effort, and always like what maui is up to. cool choice of ingredients, worth a try if you feel adventurous.

01-01-2013 01:24:14 | More by StonedTrippin
kojevergas

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

I've always loved the feel of Maui's cans. They're grippable and nice to hold. Seriously. The best cans in the industry. Bravo. 12 fl oz green aluminum can acquired tonight at K&L Wines in Hollywood. Expectations are low; I've heard bad things about this beer. But I do like Maui. "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds." 8.20% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours almost all foam in the glass. Head is obscene but recedes at a decent rate. Head is a milky khaki colour, with nice cream, good thickness, and great (7+ minute) retention. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a tropical hazy tangerine orange. Wisps of yeast residue are visible. Murky, hazy, and nontransparent, yet a bit translucent and glowing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exciting and different. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very very light. My broken nose has trouble detecting much of anything. Light nectar. Floral hops. Honey? A nectar fruit; I guess that's what breadfruit smells like. It's certainly tropical. A light aroma. Pleasant and generally inviting. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Hell, I don't even get any malts/grains. Maybe light papaya? Lime.

T: Pretty sweet, with papaya and tropical fruit esters coming through. Light tropical fruit hops and floral hops. Sweetens still further on the climax, becoming nectary in a fruity sense (as opposed to in a hop sense). Refreshing, clean, and enjoyable. I get some lime; it really comes out on the finish. I assume some of the fruit I'm getting is breadfruit, but I have no idea what breadfruit is or what it tastes like. Maybe a dash of saltiness? Though that could be my brain playing tricks due to the lime. I could see where this could be too sweet for most. It's definitely simple, but I think the balance is surprisingly good. I think this flavour profile is exactly what they were going for, and I think it works. I quite like this.

Mf: Soft and chewy. Light and pleasant. Great carbonation; near ideal. Palate presence is good. Refreshing and enjoyable. Doesn't lack body.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - which hardly comes through at all. I understand why many may not like this, but I think it succeeds. They accomplished what they were trying to do, and I quite enjoy the outcome. An unexpected success from Maui/Dogfish Head. I'd get this again. Would make a good beach beer. I'd recommend this to friends, actually. I expected to hate this, but for what it is, it's rather good. Worth a try.

High B-

03-08-2013 06:12:36 | More by kojevergas
woodychandler

4.41/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It is turning into a CANQuest (TM) day at Chez Woody with one CAN of beer after another surfacing for CANsumption. I was relieved to find this in the cooler at Max's Taproom in BAL during a recent visit as I knew that it was limited and a pending trade seemed to have stalled.

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds"; "National Tropical Botanical Garden [-] proceeds to benefit Breadfruit Institute"; "Millions of Delaware natives lusting tropic climes [CAN]not be wrong. We isolated a unique yeast strain on a peach farm near Dogfish Head Brewery. We mapped its DNA, brewed with it, and instantly fell in love with the fruity aromatics the yeast threw down. It immediately reminded me of Hawaii and Hawaii immediately reminds me of my pal Garrett at Maui Brewing Co. A collaborative brew seemed like a fun way to use this tropical yeast. - Sam"; "Breadfruit has been a staple crop for over 3000 years. It's very versatile and EXTREMELY tasty. My buddy Sam and I thought it'd be fun to brew with. Why not push the limits of beer a bit further? After all, beer has been called 'Liquid Bread' for centuries, right? So Liquid Breadfruit's time has come. - Garrett"; "I'm down with the idea of adding Hawaii's native breadfruit into the mix. To amplify the tropic thunderstorm that's brewing in this recipe let's hop this puppy with Calypso hops which throw a lot of pear and apple notes adding bitterness and aroma - Sam"; "Sounds great, let's use some toasted papaya seeds, it's a great spice to balance the breadfruit and compliment the fruitiness of Calypso hops and tropical notes lent by the philandering Delawarians. It was no small task to harvest all these seeds and fruit by hand ... but it sure beats chewing purple corn for weeks on end ... [undersigned] Garrett W. Marrero"; "It certainly does, Garrett. Let's do this! [undersigned] Samuel L. Calagione III"; Maui's truly local beer!"

The Crack revealed yet another brimful CAN and I was anxious to see what an inverted Glug might produce. Two fingers of dense, rocky eggshell-white head was part of the answer. The other part was a very perry-like scent that may cause people to wonder what I am doing in my kitchen today. Two very fruity estrous beers in a row have rendered the place smelling like an orchard of some sort. I do not personally know the smell of breadfruit, but upon leaning in, I definitely got papaya, a scent that always reminds me of female, if you get my drift. Papayas and mangoes ... Mmmm. Basically, this imparted a very tropical fruit scent with an inherent muskiness. Color was a deep, golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was soft, slightly full, with an unfamiliar fruitiness on the tongue. If it was the breadfruit or the Calypso hops, I CANnot tell you, but I CAN say that it was very mellow and quite tasty. The interplay of the fruit and the hops gave it a semi-dry finish with a hoppy bite on the swallow. I have got to read the new book on hops that was just released! Color me curious ...

04-07-2013 20:46:53 | More by woodychandler
Kegatron

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can. Clear gold with a bright-white foamy cap. This initially retains with some decent lacing but eventually the whole things goes quite dead looking. Smells very sweet with notes of honey, bread and tropical fruit. Maybe some green citrus in thee as well. There is also a different kind of accent that is coming across as vinous or maybe a touch medicinal. The taste is similar with a combination of sugary doughs and a fruitiness that is half pithy and sweet. That strange vinous quality is present as well. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller with a firm creaminess that fills the mouth. This has a touch of warmth but most of the alcohol is mostly felt in the thickness of the body. This was interesting but not quite in a good way I’m afraid. I wish the flavors were a bit more discernible from each other, which coupled with the bigger body to make for a combo that was quite frankly a little boring to put down. I’m glad I just picked up a single can of this.

04-01-2013 14:37:06 | More by Kegatron
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shared by the Rhino!

The beer is very light orange and completely transparent with a half inch of white head. The aroma offers tropical fruit, alcohol, sweet malt, oddness. Weird flavor as well. Like a cloying mixed drink. Light spice. Lots of boozy sweetness. Not my thing.

01-27-2013 07:55:22 | More by Huhzubendah
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz can picked up for $3 at Bier Thirty a few days ago.. poured into my slim tulip... short lasting eggshell head... little lacing... the brew is fairly clear light orange.

The nose honestly smells like... "beer".. slightly tropical fruity hoppy "beer"... maybe some slight persimmon if my mind is on straight.

Flavor is "slightly big beer".. I get a mild tropical fruitiness... fermented out honey, lightly earthy.. and something else that makes me think Viet cinnamon (very light).. possibly some light clove.

Light/medium body with a good carbonation..

Honestly... No Shit... The only HONEST good thing I can say about this beer is that the ABV is pretty well hidden.

This beer is not worth seeking out. Breadfruit or not, just sooo average.

3.5/3/3.5/3.5/3

12-29-2012 07:51:48 | More by JohnGalt1
twiggamortis420

1.7/5  rDev -50%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz can pours a clear, dark gold color with a fluffy and full white head. Fades fast unfortunately and does not leave much lacing.

Nose is surprisingly neutral...mostly grainy malt with a hint of toast. If I had to guess a fruit, the lightly tropical starfruit comes to mind, though I must admit I have never had a breadfruit, or toasted papaya seeds for that matter.

Taste is anything but neutral! The flavors explode with a fruitcake grainy-gin soaked flavor that is very disappointing. There is no flow, and the grainy toast and fruit clash big time. It is sweet, but there is not enough (of the right) hops to offset it. I think a piney, sharp varietal might have worked better...although I am not sure anything could save this train wreck. And to think this six-pack was $15!! Ridiculous. This is the worst Maui beer I have had. This is also the worst DFH beer I have ever had. Bad beer, I dont know WTF I am going to do with the rest of these cans, I sure as shit dont want them. Im pretty pissed at both breweries actually for letting this one out into the wild, and makes me wonder what the hell Sam and Garrett were thinking.

01-01-2013 00:21:01 | More by twiggamortis420
tone77

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer comes to me from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a touch of fruit. Taste is alcohol, some fruitiness, a touch of medicinal flavor at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and decent beer.

02-20-2013 06:28:03 | More by tone77
flagmantho

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with moderate haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam. Pretty attractive.

Smell: toasty, bready and biscuity character with an unplaceable fruitiness. Quite earthy. Not too bad, although the biscuity quality is not really my bag.

Taste: sweet and perfumey with some of that biscuity malt underneath. There's also a pronounced alcoholic component here; I think the flavors aren't quite strong enough to stand up to the booze. Again, the overall character is quite earthy with an interesting but hard-to-define fruity quality. I like the idea of this beer, but the flavors (particularly the perfume-biscuit-alcohol combo) just don't mix well for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a quite-nice creaminess. Good stuff.

Overall: I would not go after this beer again, but I think it has opened my mind to the possibility of breadfruit in beer. A breadfruit weizen, maybe? In any case, the formulation of this brew just isn't to my taste.

01-05-2013 02:38:38 | More by flagmantho
LiquidAmber

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a cloudy orange amber with a finger of off white head with good retention and slippery lacing. Aroma of bready and caramel malt, unidentifiable fruit and a hint of vegetables. Flavor is sweet caramel malt, earthy fruit (the breadfruit?), a hint of stone fruits, finish has an odd astringent bitterness that lingers. Nice lightly creamy medium body. The initial flavors are pleasant and unusual, similar to a sweet Belgian golden but without Belgian yeast or spicing. The initial flavor drops off quickly, leaving the finish out of balance, overwhelming the other lingering flavors, which is unfortunate, because this was otherwise quite unusual and intriguing.

01-25-2013 04:05:00 | More by LiquidAmber
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I was very surprised to see Maui Brewing in Vancouver and to see the Liquid Breadfruit was even more amazing as it was a one off collab. Being that it is over 8% I pulled the trigger as age should not adversely effect the flavours.

The beer is a nice dark gold colour and the nose is hoppy yet fruity. The age seems to have put the breadfruit notes in the backseat but the beer has melded into a hoppy ale with tropical fruit notes on the palate much like many IPAs. The ABV is there but not too noticeable. The hops are still fresh tasting which is a happy thing considering the age. All around a great beer.

11-16-2013 00:34:39 | More by canucklehead
Reidrover

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can from "Lifesource" in Salem. $2.49 Pours a hazy orange/gold small persistent creamy white head. Not much aroma to speak off but mainly malty,toffee with some pitted fruit like in the back. Taste is very much more fruity..mellow fruitiness balanced by nice caramel type malt..spicy/bitter in the end. Actually nice. Mouth feel is good and thick but also easily drinkable not much sigh of the high alc. Overall a nice enough beer.

10-27-2013 06:29:34 | More by Reidrover
ngeunit1

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%

A - Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a finger of rothy slightly off-white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of grapefruit and orange hops, caramel and bready malts, and some tropical fruits.

T - Starts off with some grapefruit, orange, and citrus hops with some sweet caramel malts and some tropical fruits. Though the middle some bready flavors come through with tart fruits. The finish is a mix of citrus hops, caramel malts, bready flavors, and tropical fruits.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet and fruity finish.

D - Very drinkable. Good different flavors that come together in a well balanced beer.

12-02-2012 09:14:40 | More by ngeunit1
mdaschaf

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color with a small white head, rather foamy that reduces to a nice cap on top with some pretty nice lacing all around the glass.

S: Some light tropical fruit on the aroma, mostly passion fruit with a bit of lemon/lime citrus and some bready malt.

T: Not as fruity as the aroma, definitely a bit breadier. There is again a bit of passion fruit/papaya, but the citrus isn't really there. A heavy dose of fresh bread comes through in the middle.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Pretty clean.

O: Pretty good beer, a little fruitier on the flavor profile would have done it for me.

12-15-2012 21:52:13 | More by mdaschaf
harrymel

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Canned: unable to tell, all cans only partially labeled

Nearly solid light orange colored ale with some patches of light cream foam. Smells of tropical fruit juice, biscuity malts, some hints of passionfruit and more malts. Tastes sweet, reminds me initially of very ripe papaya, then some grape and apple alongside a faintness of pineapple. Medium bodied with a velvet character and small carb. This is an interesting beer, very fruity, but I can't really relate to the individual flavors - like being asked to describe persimmons or something...

12-14-2012 07:13:19 | More by harrymel
Beaver13

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz can. Pours a hazy golden orange with a big meringue white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is wit-like with some tropical fruit and funky yeast and pepper.

The flavor is earthy yeast with light tropical fruits and some peppery spices. There's some phenolic bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, it's more yeasty than fruity but a bit phenolic.

04-17-2013 04:52:52 | More by Beaver13
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz, 12/31/13 (I like is what is on the bottom of the can)
DFH signature glass

A: Slightly hazy, bright orange color. Half finger of bright white head. Leaving some sticky lacing bits. Good carbonation.

S: Slight cardboard coming on. Then it's tropical fruits: papaya, mango, some of that pear they describe. Sweetness.

T: Still a touch of hop presence up front, 4 months since canning. Then you get those fruity yeasty esters. Papaya is a strong player here. Juiciness is there too. I guess the slight spice, bready flavor towards back of the palate that cuts in is the toasted seeds. Finish is dry. Some lingering esters.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is high.

05-03-2013 14:58:39 | More by inlimbo77
JayQue

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

A plain tasting, fairly good beer...hardly worth the hoopla over exotic ingredients. Pours a nice clear dark gold /copper color with a big bubbly white head and good lacing. Head retention is better than average...A good looking beer.

Smell and taste are fairly average. Tastes like a well brewed lager. No corn and rice staleness....just a malty, light feeling beer with a little hoppiness in the finish. The kind of stuff Budweiser should be making.

Mouthfeel is crisp and rich enough to be a good lager....The 8.2% abv is a BIG surprise. This beer hides the alcohol well. If I had a six pack of this on a hot day, I would probably pound a few before reality sunk in.

If you are looking for something unusual, this is not it. All the same, it is a good summertime thirst quencher at a higher than normal octane level.

01-20-2013 19:54:09 | More by JayQue
elNopalero

4.06/5  rDev +19.4%

This pours a honey amber color with tightly laced foam. I can't place the aroma--it's vaguely tropical. But doesn't come across in a conceptual way. If that makes any sense.

The flavor has a pleasing bitterness that's sharp and pointed with a drying finish. I pick up more distinct tropical notes—along with a green banana (specifically platano more than the more common bananas) especially on the finish. This comes together very well. It’s an interesting and enjoyable brew.

09-04-2013 06:40:55 | More by elNopalero
GilGarp

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can served chilled into a goblet.

Liquid Breadfruit is a hazy coppery orange color with thin white head. It leaves a little lace as it settles.

Aroma is fruity and slightly funky like peach saison. I would say tropical fruit but that seems rather obvious.

Flavor is unexpectedly bitter after that nice sweet aroma. I don't know if the fruit lends the bitterness or if its all from the hops but it comes as a surprise. The breadfruit and papaya bring the light fruity flavors but they seem to compete with the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light in body and nicely carbonated. It's a fairly balanced beer but leans towards the bitter.

Overall a solid beer but I would have liked a sweeter take on this idea.

04-24-2013 01:54:52 | More by GilGarp
katan

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz can

A - Golden, hazy, thick looking. Lots of head formation, off white in color. Looks quite unfiltered.

S - Strong yeast flavors, bread, with hints of spiciness. Citrus and whatever I guess breadfruit is adds something here.

T - Starts off lightly malty, but then it comes through with some hefty spiciness. Some hopping comes in in the middle, adds a little bitterness and some american hops citrus. A strong bready flavor comes in the finish, really adding a earthy tone to the flavors.

M - Moderate body, moderate to strong carbonation. A little bit bitey. No alcohol warmth detected. The body is consistent with other beers from Maui (big swell forexample), where it has some sort of innate creaminess.

O/D - An interesting beer I would put in the same neighborhood as a saison. Not quite as light and funky however. ABV is up there but you wouldn't know it. A bit filling. I like this one mainly because it reminds of me Belgians rather than a more traditional american style.

01-13-2013 00:04:58 | More by katan
facundoCNB

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Liquid breadfruit
A3.5 a golden hazy pour with little amount of head
S3.25 very bready, slight cutrus
T3.5 a crisp tasting bready ale. Bell peppers, lots of yeast
M4 full body, high carbonation, boozy
O3.5 a weird offering from these 2 breweries. Good for a breakfast beer, and glad it came in a small portion.

02-02-2014 03:51:17 | More by facundoCNB
Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.