Overcast Espresso Stout - Oakshire Brewing

good

Oakshire Brewing visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Overcast Espresso Stout Alström Bros
irishgreensoda

06-16-2014 21:50:24 | More by irishgreensoda
MikeAllen

06-29-2014 02:11:42 | More by MikeAllen
katybee

2.48/5  rDev -35.2%

Hmmm. This beer seemed to go through several different 'moods' after it poured, warmed up, and went flat. Have to say, this is the first beer I would have added more hops to, and was better with the carbonation.

Lovely opaque dark brown appearance, but the very minimal creamy head quickly disipated. It did however stick around as a lacey rim.

Smell definitely of malt, although light.

But the taste was definitely malty also. I love malt, and usually wish for fewer hops pungence. But this lacked balance and leaned toward almost malt vinegar-ish. Perhaps this is the 'dry' style, like Guiness. I found it lacked any espresso character, and no hops spiceyness to balance the predominant roasted malt, with no sweetness, or fruity esthers or breadiness... just malt. Like a flat barleywine, barely there. And when it warmed up it was like thin malt vinegar without the acidity...

Mouthfeel was nothing without the soon disipated carbonation to add any tingle. Too thin for me; not creamy at all, and went flat quickly.

Maybe my bottle was skunked. Maybe the added coffee thinned it too much. I just found too much barley malts and not enough balance. Live and learn!

03-19-2011 05:22:26 | More by katybee
Khazadum

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

Decent stout body. Minor lacing. Needs a bit of work.

Smell is amazing. Needs nothing mote but s balancing sweetness. That espresso roast and grainess gives you hope.

Doesn't translate. Dry bitter coffee grounds on cardboard. Finishes with dry hop bitter. Oxidized beyond belief. So monochromatic.

Thin. Watery. Lingers when I don't want. So disgusting. Nasty flavors and body.

12-10-2011 05:57:57 | More by Khazadum

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

08-08-2013 20:29:46 | More by Smurf2055
MadeInOregon

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Drank this one by myself on New Year's...not that I was BY myself, I just, well, I mean, you know what I mean...never mind!

Poured out, the Overcast Espresso Stout has basically no head; only a few dark red/brown bubbles swim around the rim of the liquid. I even tried a more aggressive pour to get some foam, but nothing. Very high viscosity, and probably low malt (?). The body is pitch-black as far as I can tell. This is not an appetizing beer at all. Looks like old motor oil to me.

The smell, on the other had is quite incredible. The aroma is espresso and nothing else. Most coffee beers still smell like roasted malt, but not this one: it smells like a cup of coffee. It's pretty amazing that Oakshire pulled off making a "coffee beer" that truly smells like, um, COFFEE. Amazing.

Taste is espresso, straight up. Well into my first glass I still thought I was drinking coffee not beer. I didn't taste any sweetness from the oatmeal. There is a little hoppiness that tries to push through but it's overpowered by the coffee. I don't know about the balance of this. Definitely not my cup of tea...or coffee. When cold, I would say this beer is BAD. As it warms it becomes more beery and malty sweet and is definitely a "stout" with its dryness, but it is still mainly coffee at every point.

The feel is smooth and slightly carbonated. Nothing special at all.

As others have said, drink this for breakfast or on a hot summer day--assuming you really enjoy 22 ounces of cold black coffee! I seriously think you could add cream and sugar to this stuff. With this beer, it's coffee to the max. No balance whatsoever.

01-13-2011 04:57:54 | More by MadeInOregon
cdkrenz

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

A - Black as night and pours as thick as any brew I've encountered. The head is huge at three plus inches and foamy.

S - Very mild aroma of coffee.

T - Espresso and chocolate with a bitter lining.

M - The feel is extremely coarse. Doesn't go down very smooth, but... it goes down.

~ This is a great idea if you're drinking it for breakfast. Any other time of day I think this bomber may be a bit too much.

11-23-2010 00:20:32 | More by cdkrenz

12-24-2013 06:17:46 | More by cjgiant
Magpie14

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

on tap at Kelly's Olympian, PDX

A: black with dusty brown colors around the edges. A hazy foam on top, off-white cream in color. Thin watery ring of lace at the rim with lace fingers pointing down after a few sips

S: hint of chocolate with roasted coffee and malts. Hard to gather all flavors as coffee beans are most prominent

T: this one has a strong coffee profile overall, flavors are roasted and a touch of vanilla sweet. Sort of lacks in overall complexity as grains seem restrained and almost vanish. Soft cocoa cream and a slight astringency in the finish with stale hops

M: carbonated for a stout and caught me by surprise. Fizzy bite to this takes away quite a bit in the mouthfeel and overall vibe. I would consider this body mild, bubbly, and sharp

D: flavors in some regards come and go, coffee and more coffee. Don't get me wrong, I love coffee in my beers, but this one lacks overall elements to make it the least bit enjoyable. Body is not chunky enough for me and results in a slightly average experience

01-30-2009 21:33:25 | More by Magpie14
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

12oz can that I think I paid $1.59. Dark black, tan head, looks decent. Doesn't smell like much other than some burnt coffee and grounds. Flavor is more burnt coffee, not very much stout, not very appetizing. i wouldn't say this tasted bad but I wouldn't reach for another. I had no problem finishing the beer though.

04-04-2014 22:43:52 | More by ArrogantB
DefenCorps

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle from the Grocery Outlet in Tanasbourne.

Pouring black with dark brown highlights, this beer is capped with a dense, brown head that's creamy and leaves some nice lacing. The nose is mostly a freshly pulled espresso, roasty, creamy, mildly chocolatey, and faintly hoppy (earthy). It smells nice but simple. The base stout appears to be obscured by the coffee.

The palate opens with a nice espresso flavor. Fresh, clean, mildly fruity and moderately roasty, it is expressed in a way I like. The base stout, however, isn't up to the challenge. Mildly roasty, not chocolatey enough and rather thin, the base stout really is disappointing. Drying, roasty, faintly watery and with a nice lingering coffee flavor on the finish, this beer is medium-light in body. Carbonated a little too highly for my liking, the carbonic acid clashes with the excellently expressed coffee acidity. The hoppy bitterness on the finish is a nice touch. Decent stuff, it could use just a touch of sweetness and body to go with the rather excellent coffee flavor.

09-16-2012 03:28:20 | More by DefenCorps
waltersrj

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Pour: Pretty close to a completely black liquid but with some hints of brown reflection. I managed to get a good sized, dark tan, frothy head.

Nose: Mostly bitter espresso with hints of chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste: Pretty straight forward like the nose. I detected good amounts of bitter espresso, roasted dark malts, some baker's chocolate and also some hops.

Mouthfeel: A little bit watery IMO but also somewhat creamy at the same time. This is pretty spot on for being a coffee stout.

Overall: Pretty good for a coffee stout but I tend to lean more towards the bigger, bolder Imperial Coffee Stouts such as Yeti, Speedway, etc. I won't hold that against this beer as they are not the same style. I probably wouldn't search this out again as I enjoyed the Imperial version more. Still good for the style.

08-03-2011 18:51:35 | More by waltersrj