Overcast Espresso Stout - Oakshire Brewing

Oakshire Brewing visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Overcast Espresso Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 312 | Reviews: 106
3.78/5  rDev -1%

A- poured from bottle, light tan head about one finger thick dissipates fast. Beer is dark dark brown and lets no light through.
S- Not a ton going on. Some roasted malts, a little chocolate, and ground coffee. Coffee picks up as it warms.
T- Big coffee bitterness at first fades into chocolate malts. Coffee is the dominant flavor for sure, with roasted malt flavors coming out more as it warms up. Very little sweetness, a bit of piney hops after it hits its ideal temp.
M- Medium mouthfeel, oatmeal gives it a silky texture that coats but isnt sticky. Carbonation could be a tad less. Very nice for an American stout.
D- I enjoy stouts and usually find coffee stouts to be a bit overpowering after a while, but this one is much more drinkable. The coffee flavors blend in well with malts and really adds to the beer. This one is best at cellar temp.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a small tan head that has deecent retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is lots of coffee, a light nutty note, and a bit of dark chocolate. The initial taste is sweet with lots of coffee, some nuttiness, and dark chocolate. The finish is bitter with coffee. Light body. Medium carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer is incredible. It pours out a deep black color with brown edges and a gnarly brown thick head. The aroma is heavily of chocolate and darkly roasted, thick coffee...awesome! The taste follows the aroma. This beer has so much flavor for only being 5.8%abv! It has a medium body and very rich flavors. I have yet to have a bad beer from this brewery...every beer they make is awesome and this is no exception! Well done!

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours your requisite black stout color. There was a pretty tan two finger head, unfortunately it quickly went away and all that was left was some small cling to the glass. Overall a classically looking stout.

S- I am picking up heavy espresso which is obviously not suprising given the beer's name. I also picked roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee undertones. I nice smelling beer that balances all the various notes quite nicely.

T- The espresso that I smelled so strongly comes out very quickly in the taste however it mellows out rather quickly and finishes with a mellow malty taste.

This is the second Oakshire beer that I have had the chance to try and all I was say is that I wish this brewery were closer to me or vice versa. This is a solid beer and definately one that I would continue to purchase if given the opportunity.

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%

Great beer!

Poured this into my pint glass and it had a dark black color with a thick frothy tan colored head. As soon as I open and began to pour I could smell the coffee and chocolate right away. There were also hints of vanilla and a subtle sweetness.

My first sip was dominated by a rich malty sweetness and some chocolate notes. As the taste lingered the strong coffee and burnt tones came through balanced with the hop bitterness that also come through. Great taste throughout from the initial moment it hit my lips until well after swallowing this beer.

Mouthfeel was semi-rich and creamy not as thick as I would have expected. Nonetheless it was very enjoyable.

Overall I really enjoy this beer. Much like the other Oakshire beers they have done a great job with this one as well.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%

Finally an Oakshire beer that responds well to an aggressive pour, This beer gives me a nice big two finger head into my standard pint glass. The head looks like milk chocolate, light brown in color. It's very creamy looking, a little pillowy, it looks better than most Oakshire heads I've had in the past. The head is leaving good lacing and has decent retention, but it will probably be gone before too long here. The body is absolutely pitch black, no hints of any colors anywhere in this beer, for sure up there in terms of some of the darkest beers I've ever had. Overall it looks pretty good, the head is very weird, it looks a little soapy, but it's still hanging in there so I can't complain too much, it's just weird looking. Overall the beer has a good appearance though. On the smell I get coffee, sour hops, and dark malt. All of the aromas are blended together pretty well, none of them are more prominent than the others. The sour smell is a little of a turn off, but I think that's just the hops making their way through to my nose. There might be a tiny bit of chocolate in here as well, not sure. Overall it's a very nice, robust, deep, malty smell. I think this one will taste pretty good! Yeah it's a good beer, nothing outstanding, but a very solid beer. The sourness is a little more prominent than I would like, and I don't know if it's even from the hops, or what. I don't know what else it would be from though. Coffee flavor is prominent, dark malts are there, and also that sour flavor. Not much else going on other than that, the chocolate is there, but only a tiny tiny bit. The flavor overall is good, but just really nothing too amazing, slightly watery, but not too bad in that category. The mouthfeel is really affecting the flavor for me though, in most cases the mouthfeel and the flavor have absolutely nothing to do with each other, but in this beer they for sure do. The mouthfeel is pretty thin and it just has a gross carbonation to it, that carbonation, mixed with the sour taste just really don't work too well for me. It's nothing traditionally terrible, it's just....really a bad combination. The taste alone isn't bad, but when mixed with the mouthfeel, it's just a bad combination. Overall it's not a bad beer by any means, it's a good beer, and it's only a hair away from being a pretty dang good beer. That carbonation is the biggest problem, other than that it's good.

As this beer progressed the carbonation almost disappeared, that became much less of a problem. The flavor improved and the mouthfeel got smoother, but neither of them were all that much better than what they started out at.

4.61/5  rDev +20.7%

Bomber courtesy of Elendinn. Thanks man!

A- Beautiful black color with 3+ fingers of tan head. Produces a neat Guinness-style cascading effect, and the head hangs around for a while with good lacing. Really impressive looking.

S- Deep. bitter coffee aroma with a little chocolate and a little roasted malt.

T- Exceptional. Huge coffee flavor with nice roasty chocolate characters and a nice bitter note. Incredible.

M- Very nice. Creamy and smooth.

D- Pretty high. Low ABV and smooth flavors make this an easy drinker.

Wow, I was blown away. I had no real expectations, as I'd never even heard of the brewery, but this is an incredible coffee stout for everyday drinking. Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

bomber sent by genghis22 thanks again so much for everything...poured into a tulip..

a-pitch black..large frothy three finger head...stayed for a while and left some nice lacing behind as well...the head was really nice

s-lots of big espresso in your face and roast...there is some sweet malt in there to let you know its a beer...if not for that you would think it was a chilled coffee drink

t-another beer that tastes like it smells..lots of big espresso and bitterness up front...the sweet malt lends itself to the middle as well as some bitter hops that sneak in and out quickly...finishes on a dry bitter coffee note

m-thin even for the abv...a little bit more body would have gone a long way on this but it is not too detracting..the carbonation is good and flavors stay for a while..

d-not hard to drink at all ...easy to put away..perhaps too easy...

cheers to james for sending me another great brew...

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

Bomber into standard pint.

A: Opaque black/deep brown. No light at all coming through. Super gentle pour got no head at all. There is a thin cap of tiny brown bubbles and a decent ring around the glass. Had i been more aggressive the head would have been nice.

S: Coffee and chocolate. Smells like a good mocha. Smells great, very sweet and rich smelling beer. Hint of caramel.

T: Coffee up front, creamy chocolate, then a wash of bitter that makes the chocolate taste more bittersweet and the coffee taste darker. Hops is unnoticeable the bitter seems to come more from the coffee. Tastes good, but I am a fan of espresso stouts.

M: Rich and smooth from the oatmeal. Almost like melted ice cream texture. A good medium-heavy body with a touch of chew, like a stout should. This beer rocks the mouthfeel.

O: Good coffee stout, good oatmeal stout, GOOD STOUT. I have had better but I would certainly buy this again.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

I have tried this in the past and I hate coffee but my palette has changed. It pours our black and thin but very dark. The foam was a dark brown color and it disappeared almost instantly. Held up to light nothing gets through. The smell, perhaps this is too cold, is coffee. That is it. Not much else going on here. Not that strong. I wonder how old this bottle is. The flavor is delicious. The coffee is more subtle. This has to have aged for just a bit but long enough for some of the flavors to taper down. Basically you get the coffee, burnt ashy malts, smokiness and a hint of chocolate. For the mouthfeel I was a bit let down. This is thin for an oatmeal stout. It is a low alcoholic stout so I would imagine it to be a bit thin, on the medium side of beer mouthfeel but with that low carbonation the flavors linger and and I like that. Overall this is a good beer. I wonder what its like fresh? This bottle has to be a bit older but I like it and since I live near Oregon, I can get this really cheap. Its worth the price. I'll get it again if I want a dark low end beer.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

22 oz bomer poured into an Irish pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours an opaque black with a small tan head. Head retention was poor. Minimal lacing.

S - Roasted malts and espresso beans. Obviously a coffee aroma exists along with some chocolate notes.

T - Taste follows the nose. Roasted malts, espresso and coffee. A chocolatey aftertaste. Nothing complex but solid.

M - This beer is a little thin IMO. It does have a somewhat creamy feel but could use a bit more. A little less carbonation would help as well.

O - A good espresso stout. Not fantastic but good. I would enjoy another one if I came across it but I wouldn't necessarily seek it out. The mouthfeel was this beer's biggest letdown for me.

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

Yay! A gift from my Oregonian little sister.

Appearance was a standard stout. Black with thin brown head. Not great retention, a bit of lacing.

Smell was strongly coffee!! And bitter cocoa, roasted barley. But mostly coffee.

Taste was extremely strong in coffee flavors. Slightly burnt coffee (thinking Starbucks style espresso), very roasty, dark cocoa, oatmeal, rich. I like coffee so I like this.

MF: Medium to thick, slightly creamy, a bit chewey

Drinkability: Overall, very good. This was the most straight-forward coffee flavored stouts I've had. Tasty, enjoyable, and reasonable ABV % makes this easy to enjoy. Could be a bit more balanced in flavor, but the point is "espresso stout" and it certainly accomplishes that. I'd recommend.

3.21/5  rDev -16%

Pour: Pretty close to a completely black liquid but with some hints of brown reflection. I managed to get a good sized, dark tan, frothy head.

Nose: Mostly bitter espresso with hints of chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste: Pretty straight forward like the nose. I detected good amounts of bitter espresso, roasted dark malts, some baker's chocolate and also some hops.

Mouthfeel: A little bit watery IMO but also somewhat creamy at the same time. This is pretty spot on for being a coffee stout.

Overall: Pretty good for a coffee stout but I tend to lean more towards the bigger, bolder Imperial Coffee Stouts such as Yeti, Speedway, etc. I won't hold that against this beer as they are not the same style. I probably wouldn't search this out again as I enjoyed the Imperial version more. Still good for the style.

3.47/5  rDev -9.2%

You better like coffee if you're going to drink this one.

It's a small beer, without a doubt - apparent low gravity, low ABV, light mouthfeel... all the indicators. But it certainly delivers the coffee, or espresso, or whatever. Appearance is that of a typical small stout - dark until held to light, then turning deep amber. Aroma is coffee all the way. Smells like fresh ground, good quality coffee beans. I wouldn't say it has an aroma of espresso, but the coffee is plenty convincing. Taste is pleasant enough for the style - roast barley and/or black patent, the aforementioned java, a nice, subtle touch of sweetness, some hoppiness, and a slight carbonation zing.

All in all, a nice little beer that I can see having a pint of, on ocasion. And I'm really not a small beer fan.

2.48/5  rDev -35.1%

Hmmm. This beer seemed to go through several different 'moods' after it poured, warmed up, and went flat. Have to say, this is the first beer I would have added more hops to, and was better with the carbonation.

Lovely opaque dark brown appearance, but the very minimal creamy head quickly disipated. It did however stick around as a lacey rim.

Smell definitely of malt, although light.

But the taste was definitely malty also. I love malt, and usually wish for fewer hops pungence. But this lacked balance and leaned toward almost malt vinegar-ish. Perhaps this is the 'dry' style, like Guiness. I found it lacked any espresso character, and no hops spiceyness to balance the predominant roasted malt, with no sweetness, or fruity esthers or breadiness... just malt. Like a flat barleywine, barely there. And when it warmed up it was like thin malt vinegar without the acidity...

Mouthfeel was nothing without the soon disipated carbonation to add any tingle. Too thin for me; not creamy at all, and went flat quickly.

Maybe my bottle was skunked. Maybe the added coffee thinned it too much. I just found too much barley malts and not enough balance. Live and learn!

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Served from a bottle into an imperial pint glass. This beer is really dark - a dark brown to almost black. It has a nice tanish brown head which leaves a nice lacing. Aroma is dominated by coffee and chocolate hints. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with light carbonation. This beer has a lot of flavor with sweet malts and dark coffee. Overall this beer has a lot of flavor and is pretty drinkable. I would recommend trying this beer.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bought a 5gal corny from Oakshire at the Hellshire IV/ Barrel aged beer fest. $54 for 5 gal. Can you believe it? Love having this on tap in the keezer. Great coffee flavor on a solid stout backbone.

A - black with minimal tan head that quickly fades

N - roasty malt, light nose

T - roast, chocolate, quickly turning to coffee

M - light, low carbonation

O - tasty stout with light coffee flavor

4.61/5  rDev +20.7%

On tap at Good Times. Extremely heavy espresso taste and a dark as sin black pour with a solid head. Very refreshing and relaxing, it makes me want to take a nap. (But in a good way!) At this point this brew is probably what I have most often on tap at my favorite bar, hopefully more people will learn about this one soon.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

22 OZ'R poured into pint glass (happily shared with katelovesbeer)

A- Rich opaque dark brown, inviting creamy foamy one finger head that dwindles.

S- Molasses, espresso beans

T- Hints of soapy in the finish.

M- Nice smooth silky body with a little weight to it. Full. Pleasurably slick.

D- Very quaffable!

Dark midnight with khaki lacing that fades gradually. Smells of all dark roasts with coffee. Yep, certainly a coffee smell there, and that pervades the taste, too. Put an ice cube in it and you can convince me that it is ice coffee. Dangerous!

Taste of coffee is complimented by some hints of dark chocolate, a creaminess that comes from the oats, dark malts that aren't too assertive--not burnt like some other stouts can be. Bitterness fades to an astringent ding that lasts just a second and is the only bid ding on the experience. Mouthfeel is light for a stout, but overall a refreshing moderate body.

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Smell is the highlight with overwhelming coffee aroma. Really thin for a stout. Overall...not bad. Not great

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%

Had on tap at Block 15 in a cute little coffee mug. Nice touch.

Smells strong of coffee, and I'm not talking like they took Folgers and cold brewed it then dumped the slurry in the tank. These guys actually grind their own espresso and put it in the batch. (For reference, look up Issaqua Cafe Frog.) The small malt backbone that gently shines through matches well with the roast of the coffee, causing a blend between the coffee bean and barley flavors.

Tastes like a solid stout and an accent of coffee. The coffee really comes through stronger in the nose.

Mouthfeel is where it's at. This stuff packs a ton of flavor without a heavy body. This part is what I love about this beer. I finished the mug without feeling fulll and immediately wanted another.

Overall, this beer is definitely a favorite of mine, and a big favorite of the locals. For a reason.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a growler at a tasting.

Poured a thick black color with a small bubbly tan head.
Strong espresso, with hints of chocolate and dark cherries in the nose.
Tastes like drinking a mocha, but with overwhelming roasted and coffee flavors. Hints of hoppiness and chocolate.
Smooth, with a heavy stout mouthfeel.
I could drink one of these, but not many more. The standout coffee flavor may appeal to coffee freaks, but other than that, it is not much of a session.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Im always surprised at how amazing this beer is when oakshires other beers are just okay. Get it on nitox

Tried it at Oakshire Brewing! Poured from tap into a pint glass. According to the brewmaster there is one shot of espresso per pint. Aroma was full of coffee and malty subtleties. The pour and appearance was dark and lent to the richness to come. This brew is creamy, sweet, and has a wonderful hop middle that is not to be messed with. This brew is a perfect marriage of coffee and beer aka Oregon greatness!

Overcast Espresso Stout from Oakshire Brewing