Oakshire Amber - Oakshire Brewing

good

Oakshire Brewing visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Formerly known as 'Willamette Amber'.

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-20-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

Fuzzycuffs, May 17, 2014

InfernoBoss, Feb 16, 2013
3.49/5  rDev -1.4%

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on May 17, 2014.

It is an attractive looking chestnut amber pour with a short-lived off-white head and good clarity.

The aroma is not very pungent. I get some sweet and roasted caramel malts but little else.

Light to medium body

Those sweet roasted caramel malts are also in the taste but there is a definite bitter bite on the tail end which cuts like a knife and then fades away. A very typical amber ale.

puboflyons, May 18, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark and hazed with almost one finger of off white head. Lacing only where the head was. Head recedes quickly.
Smell is all malts with a hint of earthy hops.
Taste is dark earthy hops with a fair amount of malt support.
Mouthfeel is quite full for an amber. Carbonation is on the low side. It has a fairly dry finish with some lingering leathery bitterness.
Overall quite a let down from a brewer I respect. Could be old. The bit of inked on date on the label was smudged. If I get a fresh example I will revise or update this review.
12-17-2013 Upgrade and additional notes.
Amber an clear with a large white head that sticks around. Lacings are plentiful.
Smell is about the same as before.
Taste is earthy bitter hops with some bready malts. Could use a bit more malts as the hops are slightly in the lead.
Overall a not sweet amber. Pretty easy drinking whatever you call it.

Spikester, May 17, 2013

tjcamm, Aug 19, 2013

d_brommer_nh, Apr 05, 2014
3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

On-tap at Whetstone Station Restaurant and Brewery, Brattleboro, VT

A: The beer is clear amber in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin beige head that died down and left a thin film of bubbles on the surface and a thin ring around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of earthy hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of earthy hops along with notes of caramel malts and a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is a nice amber ale that is neither too malty nor too bitter. It paired quite well with a burger.

metter98, May 12, 2013

kylemckinnis, Feb 27, 2012

dipso123, Aug 13, 2013

warpedrevolution, Jun 09, 2014

throwerbri, Dec 02, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -13%

Bomber from Lifesource,Salem. Good looking ale in the glass,darkish amber with a great looking light tan head. Aroma is very bready, with cereal also and a strange almost cooked meat aroma, that seems to waft about. Taste is rather bland unfortunatlly all semi-sweet malt..and little else really Palate was thin and in the end annoyingly watery for my tastes. In short i really did not enjoy this beer the Southern Oregon 'amber' was far far better.

Reidrover, Nov 30, 2010

BESTIALEX, Apr 04, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

ygtbsm94, Jun 07, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks to a generous someone for sharing this at DLD 2011. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pour yields an amber-colored brew with an off-white head that falls quickly without too much lacing. The nose brings some light bready malt plus a bit of light caramel sweetness in the background. Very mild hop presence. The flavor is mostly bread crust with a bit of toast as well as very mild toffee plus some caramel. Lightly candied. Medium body and good carbonation. Not bad.

Thorpe429, May 10, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

carteravebrew, Jan 30, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Regarded by me as my favorite amber of all time, but I haven't had it in over a year so we will see if it still holds up to that, especially with a very different palate now. Very aggressive pour only gives me a standard (maybe less than standard) one finger head. The had is just barely off white, mostly completely white though. About half medium bubbles and half small bubbles, the head looks pretty standard, not pillowy or creamy or soapy, it just looks....normal. The head is fading pretty quickly, it leaving good lacing though. The body looks much better than the head, nice dark amber color, hints of brown and orange, but very dark red all around. Somewhat cloudy, but mostly just very difficult to see through due to the dark color. The carbonation looks very very low, but we will see on the taste. The head is now gone, but it's leaving a very generous amount of foam on top of the body, so that really saves the head for me. Overall a pretty good look, body is excellent, the head not so much, but the foam on top of the body saves it. The smell is not what I remember at all, I remember a hop hound, but like I said my palate has changed a lot. The first thing I get is malt, rich rich rich malt, very similar to what an irish red would have in it. Somewhat dark malt, but my no means what would go in a porter or stout, perhaps caramel malts. Frankly the smell is too malty, is smells like it's going to be very sweet and overpowering. In an amber there should be some hops, and there is almost none on the smell for me. The smell isn't horrible, I can tell it will still be a decent craft brew, I'm just not looking forward to it that much. We will see how it tastes, but I don't have that high of hopes. Wow....that's just not a very good beer, I'm shocked at how different this beer tastes to me now that my palate has changed. I get very little flavor overall, the malts are for sure dominant, and the hops are barely there at all. I mean if I can say anything good about this beer it would be that the malts are smaller than I thought they would be, and there are a tiny bit of hops, and I didn't think there would be any. Overall though....man, disappointing. It's just super watery, the hops and malts are just overpowered by water. I remember this beer being my favorite from Oakshire, it will probably turn out to be my least favorite. The taste is just not very good. The mouthfeel is also just super super thin, almost nothing going on there at all, it feels like I'm drinking water. Carbonation is very low, like I thought it would be when I looked at it. Overall though it's not the carbonation that makes it feel like water, it's just super thin. Overall on this beer as a whole, I don't know what else to say....I'm shocked.

MaltsOfGlory, Jun 21, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

A: The beer pours an amber color with a finger of off-white head.

S: There's a nice perfume and floral hop aroma to this. Behind that, there is sweet toffee and caramel malt. A bit of toasted bread, some hints of citrus peel, too.

T: The beer is mostly sweet with a good amount of toffee and toasted malt/bread flavor. A nice bit of perfumey hops, some good floral notes, and just a mild citrus flavor. A decent hop bitterness to the beer as well.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Pretty standard red ale, but good flavors and easy to put down a glass or two of.

womencantsail, Sep 17, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

nmann08, May 07, 2014

Zach122, Dec 28, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

If there is no IPA then I go for the Amber Ale. This one taste like so many others...are they putting different labels on the same beer? Above average, great for parties, tailgates, or sort of general purpose. I would drink it again if there is nothing better on the menu.

ssteakley, Oct 01, 2013

johnnyboy76, Jul 27, 2012

jjohnston87, Feb 28, 2012

poured from a bomber into a pint glass. pours a clearish dark amber color, with a two finger off-white head. smells of milk chocolate, nuts, and toasted malts. tastes approximately the same, i was surprised by the lack of hop presence, but enjoyed the somewhat lower carbonation and heavier mouthfeel that most ales i've had lately. much more chocolate in the taste than any other ambers i've had, reminds me of a heavier, maltier, 1554 in a way. i can imagine this being a lovely session beer in the winter, but as it's summer, i'm really in the mood for some hops and light malt. overall a good amber ale.

sirdillon, Jul 11, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +18.1%

Served on tap into a mason jar mug at Hole in the Wall BBQ

A- Poured a very dark murky amber color with a frothy off-white head that left no lace

S- Almost no aroma, some light bready malt charater

T- Lots of big and rich caramel and bready malts. Bright citrus hop character, some earthy and floral notes.

M- Refreshing, prickly carbonation, smooth, dry, and very easy to drink

O- This is a great balanced and flavorful amber ale. Nice malt and hop character and very refreshing.

Hoptometrist, Nov 17, 2012