Oakshire Amber - Oakshire Brewing

good

Oakshire Brewing visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Formerly known as 'Willamette Amber'.

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-20-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

BESTIALEX

04-04-2013 02:49:56 | More by BESTIALEX
Reidrover

3.08/5  rDev -13%

Bomber from Lifesource,Salem. Good looking ale in the glass,darkish amber with a great looking light tan head. Aroma is very bready, with cereal also and a strange almost cooked meat aroma, that seems to waft about. Taste is rather bland unfortunatlly all semi-sweet malt..and little else really Palate was thin and in the end annoyingly watery for my tastes. In short i really did not enjoy this beer the Southern Oregon 'amber' was far far better.

11-30-2010 23:57:16 | More by Reidrover
MaltsOfGlory

3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Regarded by me as my favorite amber of all time, but I haven't had it in over a year so we will see if it still holds up to that, especially with a very different palate now. Very aggressive pour only gives me a standard (maybe less than standard) one finger head. The had is just barely off white, mostly completely white though. About half medium bubbles and half small bubbles, the head looks pretty standard, not pillowy or creamy or soapy, it just looks....normal. The head is fading pretty quickly, it leaving good lacing though. The body looks much better than the head, nice dark amber color, hints of brown and orange, but very dark red all around. Somewhat cloudy, but mostly just very difficult to see through due to the dark color. The carbonation looks very very low, but we will see on the taste. The head is now gone, but it's leaving a very generous amount of foam on top of the body, so that really saves the head for me. Overall a pretty good look, body is excellent, the head not so much, but the foam on top of the body saves it. The smell is not what I remember at all, I remember a hop hound, but like I said my palate has changed a lot. The first thing I get is malt, rich rich rich malt, very similar to what an irish red would have in it. Somewhat dark malt, but my no means what would go in a porter or stout, perhaps caramel malts. Frankly the smell is too malty, is smells like it's going to be very sweet and overpowering. In an amber there should be some hops, and there is almost none on the smell for me. The smell isn't horrible, I can tell it will still be a decent craft brew, I'm just not looking forward to it that much. We will see how it tastes, but I don't have that high of hopes. Wow....that's just not a very good beer, I'm shocked at how different this beer tastes to me now that my palate has changed. I get very little flavor overall, the malts are for sure dominant, and the hops are barely there at all. I mean if I can say anything good about this beer it would be that the malts are smaller than I thought they would be, and there are a tiny bit of hops, and I didn't think there would be any. Overall though....man, disappointing. It's just super watery, the hops and malts are just overpowered by water. I remember this beer being my favorite from Oakshire, it will probably turn out to be my least favorite. The taste is just not very good. The mouthfeel is also just super super thin, almost nothing going on there at all, it feels like I'm drinking water. Carbonation is very low, like I thought it would be when I looked at it. Overall though it's not the carbonation that makes it feel like water, it's just super thin. Overall on this beer as a whole, I don't know what else to say....I'm shocked.

06-21-2011 01:56:57 | More by MaltsOfGlory
Nerudamann

3.14/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - nice amber color, with maybe a millimeter of foam.

Smell - nothing that stands out in the aroma, just a typical malty type of smell.

Taste - malt presence is there, but mostly there's a slight warming sensation and a bit of a bite. This one seems to favor on the side of hops, but the taste of hops isn't there. It almost has a musky quality to the taste.

Mouthfeel - pretty well-balanced, not too creamy, not too thin.

Overall - not a bad brew, but not one of my favorites. It just seems to be off a bit in its balance. At least for an amber.

06-28-2013 04:44:20 | More by Nerudamann

westcoastbeerlvr

07-23-2014 20:42:00 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
Thorpe429

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks to a generous someone for sharing this at DLD 2011. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pour yields an amber-colored brew with an off-white head that falls quickly without too much lacing. The nose brings some light bready malt plus a bit of light caramel sweetness in the background. Very mild hop presence. The flavor is mostly bread crust with a bit of toast as well as very mild toffee plus some caramel. Lightly candied. Medium body and good carbonation. Not bad.

05-10-2011 21:56:52 | More by Thorpe429
ssteakley

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

If there is no IPA then I go for the Amber Ale. This one taste like so many others...are they putting different labels on the same beer? Above average, great for parties, tailgates, or sort of general purpose. I would drink it again if there is nothing better on the menu.

10-01-2013 03:46:44 | More by ssteakley
Brad007

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a mild amber with a white head into my glass. Mild? More like dark. Still a good color.

Sweet with just a touch of the "northwest hops" (as mentioned on the label) in the nose. More pine than citrus.

Ditto for the taste. Reminds me of a brown ale. Probably the specialty malts used. Very easy-going with a touch of butteriness.

Lingering hops, buttery-sweet malt make up the feel here. Clean finish.

A decent amber ale for a mild spring day.

05-14-2013 21:09:13 | More by Brad007
Bookseeb

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance has a rich amber color supporting a steady head leaving fair lace. Smell of darker caramel malt and light hop having a light astringency throughout. Taste of the rich darker malts with a mild hop balance. Mouthfeel is medium light with good carbonation.

04-02-2014 02:51:54 | More by Bookseeb
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.49/5  rDev -1.4%

From the 650 ml. bottle. Sampled on May 17, 2014.

It is an attractive looking chestnut amber pour with a short-lived off-white head and good clarity.

The aroma is not very pungent. I get some sweet and roasted caramel malts but little else.

Light to medium body

Those sweet roasted caramel malts are also in the taste but there is a definite bitter bite on the tail end which cuts like a knife and then fades away. A very typical amber ale.

05-18-2014 01:52:44 | More by puboflyons