Skookumchuck - Oakshire Brewing

SkookumchuckSkookumchuck

Oakshire Brewing visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  7.70% ABV

This is the 3rd installment from Oakshire in the EWEB 100th Anniversary beer series.

A blend of 5 wine barrels, 2 housing Le Ferme on Apricots and La Folie yeast, 2 housing Collaborative Evil 09 on Drie Fonteinen yeast, and 1 housing Oakshire Wheat on Lacto.

Brewed once, blended and bottled to release 11/18/2011

(Beer added by: jbakajust1 on 11-14-2011)
Reviews by zaphodchak:
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Number 3
Fine white head. Light hazy straw body with a bit of lace.

Good, funky nose, quite tart smelling.

Bright, pretty dry body balanced with some sweetness. Maybe like a sweeter Cantillon. Deftinitely well balanced.

Foamy, light body.

Good fresh, and would probably improve with age.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Bunzfest2012: Make it so... a big thanks to Jim for sharing, this was a surprise highlight of the weekend for me. Quick review from written notes, served in a mini-tulip glass.

Bright gold color, spotty lacing around the sides.

Light Bretty yeast funk, leathery, woody.

Lightly tart with plenty of barrel complexity, finishes dry with woody traces of oak tannin, savory washed cheese rind, dried fruit, and leathery saddle funk. A light bitterness, medium bodied. A very balanced wild ale, nuanced and multi-dimensional. Hits all the right notes for me, your mileage may vary. Very happy to have tried this after it was a no-show last year at FoBAB in Chicago.

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

Hazy light orange yellow color with nice carbonation for a sour. Smell is clean and slightly sweet with a balanced sourness. Mouthfeel is med-weighted, with apricots, tart apples,wheat, and again a balance of sour flavors.

Overall; Really liked it more at room temperature, but would have liked more body, thou well made and balanced

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

A fairly aggressive pour yields a nice two finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is maybe just a hair off white, but pretty white overall. The head is extremely fluffy and pillowy, perhaps creamy too, but the sound of the head on the pour would indicate otherwise on that account. Head retention so far is outstanding, I have only lost a tiiiny bit of it so far, the lacing doesn't look like it will be all that great; I'll see how both of those turn out at the end of the beer. The body is slightly cloudy, but for the most part a pretty clear beer, clearer than I thought it was going to be. Not bad, but I would prefer a cloudier beer. The carbonation looks extremely high, like Budweiser high, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in the style, I can already smell it from here, it's going to be a wine like, fruity beer, so over carbonation isn't the end of the world here. Overall on the appearance, the transparency and the carbonation aren't my favorite, by they are small factors in an otherwise great looking beer; it's a great color, and the head is simply fantastic. We'll see how the lacing and head turn out, but so far this is a great looking beer. The smell is pretty damn good too, really complex on the first sniff. The first thing I get is a wine aroma, white wine, grapes, fruit, light fruit like mangoes, peaches, mostly just your standard white white aroma though. I also get a sour aroma, as would be expected in a wine-infused beer. It's really a complex fruit smell, which is why it's hard for my to identify any of the specific fruits. Not much in the way of hops or malts on the nose. Overall it's a really great aroma, I'm not sure what else to compare it to since I don't think I've ever had a wild ale before. I do know that the aroma is really great, and not overpowering, it doesn't smell like wine, it smells like wine-infused beer. Maybe a touch of pale malt in the background. Anyways, good smelling beer, maybe 4 but I'm gonna go 4.5. Well shit, that taste is verrrry interesting. I mean it's waaay bigger than the aroma was, the aroma was complex, but it didn't have nearly as much punch as the flavor does. You get this big berry blast right up front, followed by some noticeable alcohol, probably about the right amount for a 7.7% beer. A substantial sourness comes next, followed by a very quick and very small malt flavor. I think I do get a little bit of hops intertwined with the wine and sour flavors. Very fruity though, there are for sure some fruits hidden in the overall "wine" flavor. Every now and then you get a very assertive flavor, almost like the sour wine perfectly hitting your tongue at the same time the hops do. The finish is sweet, sour, then bitter. It has a nice beginning, middle, and end, because of how much is going on with this beer. It's a very good flavor, I don't know if I would call it my kind of beer, but there are definitely some occasions I would love to drink this, now being one of them. I'm kind of in between a 4 and a 4.5 on flavor, from what I can tell, this beer is everything a wild ale should be, but still, I'm not nuts over it. I enjoy it, but it's just not hitting on all cylinders. I think I'll go with a 4, just because I'm probably going to give it a 4.5 for appearance, and it got a 4.5 for smell. I think a 4 is fair. The mouthfeel is pretty good too, the carbonation is waaaay lower than it looked like it would be on the appearance. Honestly the first glass had a better carbonation, it was medium-high, this second glass has very low carbonation. I guess that just goes to show you how much change there is in a true micro brew beer. I know the sediment at the bottom changed things a lot. This style of beer would do better with a medium-high carbonation, but this second glass - the truer glass, has a carbonation that is frankly a little too low for my liking. The body of the mouthfeel is probably right about where it should be, it's got a backbone to it, it's thick enough to support the rest of the beer. I would care for a body a little bit bigger, but it's not a big deal in this beer, it's a good body overall. I'm stuck in between a 3.5 and 4 on the mouthfeel, but the low carbonation brings it down too much for it to be a 4, so 3.5. The drinkability is interesting, because it's a fruity beer, very tasty, but at the same time it's 7.7% and you can taste that 7.7%. Frankly I have been pounding this beer, it's almost gone already, I don't know if that's because I haven't done a beer review in a while, or because I haven't had a beer in a while either, but this sucker is going down quick. I think a 4 is solid for drinkablity, it's got the booze for sure, which keeps it away from a 4.5, but it's still a deceptively easy beer to put back. Overall on this beer, it's very interesting, I haven't had a beer quite like it before. With everything considered, taste, smell, etc, I think a 4 is just about right overall.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Pours a hazy golden color with a large white head. An interesting aroma for a sour beer. Lots of vanilla notes (from the oak, I assume). Quite a bit of straw and grass with a moderate lemon/lactic characteristic. Bread and cracker malt give a mild sweetness to the flavor, but there is still a pronounced dryness and oakiness. Moderate tartness with lots of straw and grass notes, maybe some subtle fruitiness.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a snifter at Hellshire II

A - Pours a super clear pale gold w/ thin offwhite head that fades quick to a faint "slick" of bubbles and leaves no lace

S - Smells tart and fruity. Funky barnyard character from the Brett. Grainy.

T - Deep tartness, but clean, no acetic, lots of Brett funk, light fruits, Apricots, pears, grainy, some oak and wine notes.

M - Light body with a very dry, dry sour finish, high carb.

O - Very impressed. Good clean sour character, decent level of Brett funk, nice bite, dry, fruity, good blend, very drinkable.

3/24/2012

Another bottle shared by Tim at Kill the Cellar Day, thanks!

A: Dark gold with good transparency and a big frothy white head fed by what appears to be a high level of carbonation.

S: Lactic citrus notes and a mild tartness. Fruits are aromatic and fresh, redolent of apple and pear. Oak is restrained and vanilla is evident. There's a strong white grape presence.

T: Sweet and tart apples with accompanying pear and orange (very faint). White grape really stands out in the flavor. There's a moderate tartness with a low acidity. Vanilla is restrained.

M: Lower medium in body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: Surprisingly good. Pleasant and easy to drink.

3.99/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Body pours an orange ish, cloudy, almost neon color with a half inch white head.

Smells is very dry and vinous, grapes, some sweet cherries or other fruit, a bit of sourness, but of brett. Smells great.

Taste is more tame than expected, only a mild sourness, very nice sweet berry fruitiness, some dry vinous brett, tame but very tasty.

Carbonation is a little light but nice and fine, feels nice, drinkability is pretty good.

Very nice and subtle sour.

7.9/10

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Had this on tap at Belmont Station. Beautiful golden color. Carbonation was nice, maybe a little on the low side. This beer smelled fantastic. Fruity and funky. The taste was good, but probably needs more time to mature. There was a bit of cloying sweetness in the finish, maybe the bottles will dry out with some time. I hope Oakshire continues to make wild ales.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

A: poured a translucent orange with reddish hues and brown highlights that had a finger of bubbly head but left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: funky brett upfront in the nose with a little acidic character, grainy notes, hints of lemon zest, good oakiness and signs of vanilla lingering in the background.

T: it had a nice oakiy tart flavor on the first sip accompanied by vanilla accents some grassy earthiness, grainy notes, slightly vinous, nice zesty lemony twang, hints of acidic character and funky brett.

M: the brew was medium to light in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had an earthy grassy, citrusy, slightly funky, musty, oaky, semi sweet and tart dry finish.

O: I thought it was just OK but I was still happy to take a stab at it.

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured into my large St Feuillien goblet, Skookumchuck is hazy gold with a very tight, creamy white head, long last, heavy foamy lace. Very nice bottle conditioning.

Smell is honey and vanilla, a little lemon rind, some dusty yeast. Nice melange of tropical fruits, lime, remiscent of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, but not as bright.

Taste is complex for sure. Definitely a bit oakier than I expected, but there is some nice sour and funkiness. Some sweet, clean, cereals. Vinous. This reminds me of the a lot of Petrus Aged Pale, but with more creamy oak notes and less lacto. I generally prefer more pucker in my sour blondes, but the softness of the blended oak aging really harmonizes here.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, medium-light bodied.

Drinkability is high. A killer belgian pale. It's super complex, with the cereals, the wine, the wild ales.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%