Vortex IPA - Fort George Brewery + Public House

Vortex IPAVortex IPA

Fort George Brewery + Public House visit their website
Oregon, United States

"Our IPA is made with generous additions of Cascade, Simcoe and Palisade hops throughout the brewing, fermentation and conditioning phases, balanced with heaps of organic pale malt. We designed this to not rip your taste buds off your tongue, but rather vigourously stimulate them and your palate into a lupulin-ecstacy of pleasure. During the cross-country truck trip our brewery made to find it's home in Astoria, it was nearly scattered to the cornfields of Nebraska by a tornado. We try to capture some of nature's intensity in every pint."

ABV 7.7% IBU 97

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-13-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
indiapaleale

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pour - bright glowing orange and amber with an inch of biscuit mix-like foam on top. Nice lacing left on the sides of the glass and the carbonation levels are spot on. I'm excited.

Aroma - I actually caught a whiff of this as soon as I cracked open the can. An intense wave of pine and citrus flew at my nose and got me excited right away. Sticking my nose in the glass now I get some resiny, piney aromas along with some nice sweet biscuity smell as well. There is some hints of orange peel and fresh cut grass. I'm sold, lets drink this!

Taste - one sip and the quality of this IPA is apparent. Some time and dedication was put into making this beer. Lots of sweet, orangey flavors combine with bitter, piney hoppiness. The malt backbone backs up all those hoppy, citrusy flavors very well. Its sweet and tangy with some toasty flavors thrown in. I love this IPA and am very sad that I only have this one can to enjoy. If you're able to get cans of this beer you are truly fortunate so take advantage!

Overall - excellent brew from Fort George. This is a solid, balanced IPA with some great hop aromas and flavors along with a sweet, bready malty backbone balancing it all out. I could definitely get comfortable with four cans of Vortex IPA. I think I'm addicted.

Would I buy more of it? - yes, yes, yes. Pint-sized cans of beer like this are a must have. I love the flavor of this IPA and the fact that its a tad high on the ABV scale just makes it even better on a cool summer evening around a campfire.

05-13-2011 02:04:06 | More by indiapaleale
daveytheformer

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

into a nonic pint

Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a thick sticky white head that fades to a thin layer on top.

Smells like pine, grassy hops, and lemon citrus.

Taste follows the aroma. A lot of pine, grapefruit, and lemon. Sticky hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with light carbonation.

Overall is really good and one of my favorite Oregon IPA's

05-03-2011 23:00:27 | More by daveytheformer
OakedCanuck

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

16oz can. Half into glass, the other half straight outta the can.

This beer pours a very nice deep orange with a rocky 2 finger white head. Aroma is strong of citrus, mainly lemon, oranges, pineapple. Flavour is much the same, very bitter, with lemon, pine, grass, oranges. Mouthfeel is tacky and sticky, slightly drying.

Overall this this is a fantastic IPA out of a can. This is so bitter that I would call it closer to an Imperial IPA as I didn't pick up enough sweeter malt flavour, even though I am sure it is in there. Awesome beer and I will definitely be looking for more (especially before fishing trips).

05-02-2011 18:20:42 | More by OakedCanuck
Reidrover

Oregon

16 oz can from "Lifesource", Salem. $2.55 A fine and dandy looking IPA! Deep burnt orange , slighly hazy with a lovely light tan head that is thick and creamy. Very deep piney/spruce tip aromas..fresh and lively. Much sweeter taste than i was ex[pecting..lemon drops..but later a deeper piney bitterness appears. Strange..but i liked the lemon drop thing. Nice palate..better because of the low carbonation. Overal a very nice IPA..slightly sweet but drinkable

04-30-2011 18:48:25 | More by Reidrover
cbarrett4

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Can I say WOWIE!!!????

This is one of the biggest surprises I have EVER had! I was at Horse Brass here in Portland and noticed this IPA which I had never tried and decided to give it a go. Let me just say that this is my second favorite IPA after Pliny the Elder (and in some ways it exceeds the quality of Pliny). I then tasted it from can (at a later date) right next to a bottle of Pliny that I had and I must say that for the hooplah and scarcity of Pliny it almost seems a better deal to seek out the Vortex.

This beer pours a lovely gold/copper hue with brown undertones. The head is thick and persistent. Good effervescence. The nose is fresh and springy with bright hop aromas with plenty of citrus and a touch of IPA yeasty funk to round it out.

The taste follows the nose with lots of green and wonderful hop flavors and oils mixing well with the citrus and spice notes. The alcohol is well integrated (where it slightly beats Pliny), and there is not that jolt of "wow this is strong, it burns my nose" that you get with other IPAs and Imperial IPAs. And though this is listed as a standard IPA, it is surely competition for many Imperial IPAs (7.7% abv!).

The finish is lovely, with the bitter tannins and acids working well and not overpowering the palate.

Fantastic beer and one that will be a go to for many years to come!

04-28-2011 00:43:08 | More by cbarrett4
HuskyinPDX

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can.

A- Pours a dark opaque orange with a finely bubbled off-white head. Amazing retention.

S- Smell of pine, organge, lemon, grapefruit, and grass.

T- First grass, then pine, into a delicious citrus finish.

D- A bit sticky in the mouth, but overall an amazing west coast IPA. I am so happy that these are finally available outside the brewery. I will take cans, bottles, whatever.

04-25-2011 01:54:44 | More by HuskyinPDX
woodychandler

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

msbulldog25 was kind enough to send some CANs my way and this was one of them. I CANnot thank people enough for enabling me to CANtinue The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "A tornado loomed above the Nebraska cornfields as we drove the works for out new brewery home to Astoria. It got us thinking about the forces of nature. About IPA. About how we didn't want to make an IPA that would rip the taste buds off your tongue, but something that harnessed the power of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade hops to the gentleness of 2-row barley in a vortex of extreme lupulin ecstasy. In other words, the best IPA we could make. We survived to make a dynamic ale with an evolving recipe. Join the locals at our pub and talk with our brewmaster, Jack, about the quest for the perfect pint. Or join in at fortgeorgebrewery.com."; "Enter the Vortex".

The Crack & Glug netted me just over a finger of foamy, tawny head with good retention. Color was a slightly hazy deep orangish-amber. Nose had a nice orange-citrus scent, which got my mouth to watering in anticipation. Mouthfeel was medium with a big admixture of pine and citrus hop bitterness on the tongue. It wasn't going to rip the taste buds off, but it might give them a run for their money! Man, this was the kind of AIPA that got me hooked in the first place. Gimme dem hops and don't hold back! Finish was breathtaking in its intensity. I really felt like I had been drinking an AmeriCAN IPA and it was goood. I might not recommend it for the beach or the backyard, but it would rate cooler space under the right circumstances.

04-18-2011 21:56:54 | More by woodychandler
philbertk

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

7.7 % ABV. 92 IBU’s. Rich and Delicious With balanced earthy hops. On draft at Cannery Restaurant April 13th, 2010.

Fort George Brewery--Vortex IPA--2011 16 oz. MicroCan. 7.70% ABV. 97 IBU's. (4.25 / 5.0) Thin mild lace white head. Cloudy bright amber orange color. Rich floral grapefruit pine citrus herbal hop front. Mildly crusty creamy rich caramel malt fruit hint hop resin infused mildly earthy body. Rich earthy bitter clean hop spice end. Big hoppy tasty IPA. Sampled 4/12/2011. Purchased for $1.99, The Loft, Bridgewater Bistro, Astoria, Oregon on 4/12/2011.

04-18-2011 02:26:56 | More by philbertk
djbreezy

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

appearance - amber/orange, 1 inch head, great lacing

smell - pine and floral hops

taste - big unique pine and floral hops, reflects what's listed on the can well (cascade, simcoe, etc.)

mouthfeel - medium carbonation, not as much as I'd expect but not distracting by any means

overall - flavorful, hoppy, west coast ipa, good stuff, highly recommended!

04-17-2011 22:32:50 | More by djbreezy
gford217

Georgia

16oz can from HuskyinPDX.

Pours a murky amber brown with a small creamy head that recedes to a soapy film and leaves streaks of foam on the sides. There are some particles floating around as well.

Aroma is bright and citrusy with lemons, oranges and mangos mixed with a clean biscuity malt aroma. Very fruity but still slightly astringent in the nose.

Again, there is some astringency up front with the tangerines and mangos coming out. The malts are there but very subtle, completely giving way to the bright crisp citrus in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and slick overall. A little bit oily really.

I really liked this one even if it's not as crazy hoppy/bitter as some other PAC NW IPAs. Another great canned beer.

04-14-2011 01:25:03 | More by gford217
caskstrength

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Extra from ramnuts. (always trying to get me hooked on Oregon IPAs, Frank)

Cool name, cool can. We MN BA'ers are suckers for IPAs in 16oz cans with cool graphics and names.

Dark orange/yellow pour. Very hazy with lots of sediment and particles, would have liked less junk floating around in the yellow haze.

Smells were just OK . More citrus than pine. Candied oranges, tangerine (sweeter, rather than zesty and sharp) and some mango/pinapple too. Didn't have that pungent zest I crave in an IPA.

Malty and candied citrus follow on the tongue, with the above mentioned tropical aspects too. Not much pine. Not much of a pithy bite. Still tasty and it's hovering close to the mark, just not quite zoned in.

Could have used more carbonation to lift it off the tongue and move the flavors around. Ended up drinking on the heavier side for the style.

Reading other reviews, maybe they're still working on translating this from draft to can. I should try it again down the road.

04-08-2011 19:42:33 | More by caskstrength
jdense

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

16 oz. can (!) purchased in 4 pack $11.99 from Whole Foods PDX Hollywood, poured into the big Judas tulip 3.31.11.

1 1/2 fingers white broken head, medium dissipation with above average lacing. Hazy orangish amber body, visible floating yeast particles (can-conditioned?). Nose is citrusy orange pith, some mango tropical notes and crystal malt fruitiness. Taste is citrusy up front with good dose on pine resin, the same orange pith as in the nose, got increasingly bitter on the back end as it warmed. Medium mouthfeel, not much effervescence. Overall the mouthfeel was a bit flat and the yeasties detracted from visual appeal, but an easy drinking IPA. IMHO, I prefer the tap version, may still have some 'bugs' to figure out with the canning process.

03-31-2011 15:15:33 | More by jdense
loren01

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Pours an orange color, nice 2 finger width head great lace
S: Very citrusy, lots of grapefruit
T: Slight malt up front followed by tons of grapefruity hop flavors. You can taste the ETOH in there. This is listed at 7.4% seems to me like its a bit more.
M: Medium bodied beer, carbonation is right on.
D: Be careful with this tasty brew a few of these will make you tipsy. Could easily pass as an imperial IPA. Great beer!!

12-21-2010 01:56:57 | More by loren01
ralree

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +17%

A: Gold, large bubbles

S: Super-hopped. Grapefruit like mad.

T: Really bold grapefruity hops, light malt, nice hop aftertaste. One of the best ones I tried at the festival.

M: Dry, clean, good carbonation, a tad of astringence.

D: Pretty good, very rich, so it's a little hard to drink.

Enjoyed at the Oregon Brewer's Festival 2010

07-26-2010 07:06:44 | More by ralree
smulkowski

Idaho

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A draught pitcher, poured into a mason jar at the Astoria brewery and public house

A: a bit cloudy, golden, relatively light head retention

S: orgasm in a glass- bitter orange with piney resins mellowing into a soft floral whiff

T: light for the ABV, but wonderful. Billed at 97 IBU, very clean malt flavor accompanies a striking hop jolt.

M: a bit oily, light

D: soft and supple with a kick, glad I wrote the review prior to getting down to business with this pitcher

07-20-2010 04:34:29 | More by smulkowski
Docer

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On-tap yesterday at their brewpub in Astoria. Served in a mason jar.

- Nice somewhat clear, red/orange/amber (very west coast looking).... nice lacing all about, thin white head.

- Huge citrus and floral hops... grassy, earthy... good. Slightly sweet caramel malt base... and a slight green olive scent... vinegar. Perhaps dirty lines or something... just a bit offsetting.

- Great hop bomb with lots of floral and herbal flavorings... thin malt base, and a heavy rich complex earthy finish. Still can't get past the green olive flavor and scent riding up front.

- Overall a bit resinous.. chewy bitter... medium bodied.

- A very hopped up IPA that I am sure I would review better if it wasn't for the off flavor of green olives. I don't know what causes it, but it has happened to me at many places. Perhaps a sanitizer or something...

01-19-2010 17:44:36 | More by Docer
Sharpie30

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at their public house. Served in a pint size mason jar..I would prefer a quart! Pours golden hazy pint with a thin head. Good hop aroma showing the classic citrus notes. Taste is straight forward IPA with a good bite, but not overbearing. Drinkablility is key on this brew, I could drink several without being thrashed all a while satisfying my hop tooth. Good stuff here.

08-01-2009 16:30:53 | More by Sharpie30
apaltrineri

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Served in chilled glass, very small white head with plenty of lacing throughout the drink. Dark amber to copper color,

S - Sweet citrusy nose up front, with hints of ash and earthy malts after about half a glass. Not overpowering hoppiness, but definitely there.

T - As sharp and smooth as an IPA should be, with just a hint of honey along with the bright hops. A little licorice taste at the end is a nice surprise. Quite pleasant, but nothing earth-shattering.

M - Slick and lacking the carbonation of lesser IPA's - very nice.

D - If you're an IPA fan, you could drink this all night. I would rather have a little less hops in the nose and a smoother aftertaste.

Pairing - I enjoyed this beer with peppercorn ahi carpaccio from my local joint, and I couldn't imagine a better pairing!

10-17-2008 01:05:25 | More by apaltrineri
josiahschlender

4.1/5  rDev +1%

My first experience with Ft. George Brewery at Belmont Station was a good one! Nice looking, very hazy IPA. Dark copper/bronze color, with an average head that left a little bit of lacing. The company website doesn't have much info on their beers, but it did mention that none of their beers are filtered, which I'm sure lent to the hazy appearance.

Nice smelling IPA, very prominent sweet pine resin hops and some citrus. Lots of sweetness on the nose, I'm guessing some coming from the malts, but hard to discern amid the pungent evergreen.

Taste is very concentrated, I noted a lot of the piney hops again, with surprising sweetness. Instead of the bitter, lemon-peel bitterness I often notice in IPAs, this has more of a mandarin sweetness, mixing with what I'm guessing are an abundance of caramel malts. Very little bittering for an IPA. Not typical, but I like it.

Feel is slick, with just right amount of carbonation to disperse the hops.

Overall, I like this well-brewed beer quite a bit. An interesting take on how hoppy Ft. George could make an IPA without making it very bitter.

03-18-2008 20:17:33 | More by josiahschlender
msubulldog25

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this one on tap at Morrison Hotel in SE Portland, a pint-full.

A: Hazy golden with a touch of orange. very little rising carbonation makes tis seem full and thick. Capped with a foamy, white-as-driven-snow head that's about 1/2 finger at best.

S: Aroma of fresh oranges, a little pithy. Gooey caramel backing with a balancing hop presence.

T: Lots of citrus hoppiness. Orange and grapefruit give a slightly soured and bittered flavor. Sweetness of caramel and subtle floral/herbed nature, with a pleasingly aged fruitiness. Well-balanced and nicely bittered in the finish.

M: Medium-bodied and quite creamy. Just enough carbonation to fill the mouth and to satisfy he tongue. A little gumminess towards the end; concluding slightly bitter and with much citrus hopping.

D: A good beer, bordering on 'very good'. Won't blow someone away with over-the-top flavors, but will satisfy in every way. A solid choice, worthy of recommending.

10-23-2007 23:14:54 | More by msubulldog25
John_M

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Had this on tap at Concordia Alehouse the other day.

My initial impression of this beer was not that great, but it slowly grew on me as I worked through my first glass.

The beer pours a rich copper color, not what I usually associate with an IPA. Head retention is pretty good, and lacing is decent.

I don't get a lot on the nose, just some cherry, apple and light citrus. No off aromas and the beer smells pretty good. I think the reason my initial impression was so poor is that this beer was entirely too sweet, and not nearly hoppy enough to be considered a NW IPA. I still feel that way, but as I drank more and more of this beer, I was increasingly impressed with the balance and drinkability of this beer. Yes, it's entirely too sweet for an IPA I suppose, but nevertheless there were some lovely flavors of fuji apple, ranier cherry and light citrus. The beer is medium bodied and is very, very drinkable. I'm assuming the abv. is not very high, but in any event it's very well disguised. The beer finishes well, with no off flavors and nice crispness.

I guess the folks at Fort George figured no one would buy it if they called it a red ale or an amber ale, so they decided to call it an IPA. (probably a smart move in my case, as I never would have tried it otherwise) In any event, this was a very nice beer, one I wouldn't hesitate to order again.

09-17-2007 14:12:38 | More by John_M
RedDiamond

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

The scent of Fort George’s Vortex IPA, once inhaled, rushes to the primal hop receptors of the brain reserved exclusively for this purpose stimulating a release of neurotransmitters that are apt to cause reflexive gestures of giddiness and spontaneous cries of “Yes! Yes!” from those of us afflicted with hop dependency. It’s a perfect smell. It deserves its own goddess, a piazza fountain, and perhaps an epic poem or two. It’s a wonder anything this good is still legal.

And that’s just the smell.

Vortex is warm honey gold, unfiltered, and likely of modest IBUs. The hops would seem to be concentrated on late kettle additions. Behind the robust hop flavor and habit-forming aroma, Vortex harbors a relatively sweet disposition – perhaps even too sweet for some.

Alas, the smell, like many of the better things in life, tends to dissipate before long. So get it while you can.

07-13-2007 03:31:35 | More by RedDiamond