1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cavatica Stout - Fort George Brewery + Public House

Cavatica StoutCavatica Stout

Fort George Brewery + Public House visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

The Latin root of Cavatica is cave, crevice, abyss or a dark place. Just like a stout should be.

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-15-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 138 | Reviews: 46 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by djbreezy:
djbreezy

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

appearance - massive carbonation, 50% head in glass, some spots of lacing once dissipated, dark and opaque, tan head

smell - notes of roasty malts and chocolate

taste - chocolate up front followed by a nice a malt backbone, overall very tasty, some alcohol noticeable in the finish

mouthfeel - medium body and carbonation

overall - not a bad stout, good flavor, easy to drink

01-05-2012 06:41:15 | More by djbreezy

03-29-2014 00:18:13 | More by aasher
tone77

3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of light chocolate, some coffee. Taste is coffee, bitterness, some chocolate, a bit of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

03-20-2014 11:26:12 | More by tone77

TaborTime

02-05-2014 00:10:41 | More by TaborTime
woodychandler

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Many, many thanks to msubulldog25 for having sent this to me in the furtherance of The CANQuest (TM)! It became a part of my seemingly unmovable backlog until now, but at 8.8% ABV, I am sure that both it and I will be fine.

From the CAN: "Taxonomy: Cavatica (kuh-VAT-ick-uh)"; "1. Cavatica cervisiam [-] A lively anthropod whose habitat is the round, wooden kaggis [italicized] where natives store their traditional beverages."; "2. Cavatica stoutus [-] Strong in body and powerfully built, this thick-bodied creature exudes a distinctly bold and delicious nose."; "3. Cavatica fortus Georgium [-] A rare subspecies of cask spider, C. fortus Georgium subsists solely on discarded grains from brewery vats and spins un[CAN]nily beautiful, though lopsided, webs."; "4. Cavatica astorius [-] The White Spider of Astoria thrives in adverse [CAN]ditions, dwelling in damp [CANneries, shipwrecks, and dilapidated jetties. See also Cavatica goonius."; "5. Cavatica biberat [-] When exposed to dark, foamy liquids, this usually placid spider hollers pirate songs, cheats at cards, and argues politics with its fellow arachnids."; "Unfiltered. Expect sediment at bottom of CAN. Drink fresh. Do not age. Keep refrigerated."

Well, I aged it, but at least I had it in the refrigerator. I promised The Ex-Old Lady that I would utilize the gentlest of Glugs if the CAN indicated that such was in order and I remain a man of my word even as she reduces in my rear view mirror. The Crack! revealed yet another brimful craft CAN, but I could not celebrate with an inverted Glug. My gentle Glug filled my glass, but only produced a brief amount of dark-tan head that quickly CANverted to wisps. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was smoky, roasty, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, leather, sherry, everything that one expects in better iterations of the style. Mouthfeel was medium, but my inadvertent aging had not put a dent it its flavor! In addition to the melange of smells now translating to tastes, it still had some heat going. Phew. I had just awakened from a nap before I started in on this and it suddenly began to seem as though I may need to lay down again. The alcohol was really prevalent, trumping the smoky chocolatiness on the tongue. Finish was dry and somewhat hot, reminding me of a mixed drink in a way, but I could not lay my finger precisely on it. I am not a huge fan of the style, preferring AIPAs as a self-avowed hophead, but I was fascinated by the way that this had not only held up under my mishandling, but it retained its flavor nicely and the heat makes me wonder how intense it might be when fresh. I would put it next to Ten Fidy and defy anyone to put it in their cooler when headed to the beach. An intense beer, no doubt, but not my cuppa tea.

01-31-2014 22:58:15 | More by woodychandler

Kurmaraja

01-07-2014 19:14:01 | More by Kurmaraja
South2NW

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tall boy can to snifter.

A: pours jet black with thick brown head. Leaves wonderful lacing.

S: interesting mix of licorice, dark fruit, chocolate, oats and hops.

T: chocolate covered fruits with a bit of bourbon.

M: rather full body, but not overwhelming. Light carbonation, and a dry finish.

O: this is a bargain stout that is tasty, and dangerously drinkable at 8.8% abv. Pick some up.

12-11-2013 03:44:11 | More by South2NW
chossboss

12-01-2013 21:41:43 | More by chossboss
N3rdM3t4l

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can into shaker pint. canning date on bottom of can is September 13 2013
A: a little light passes through as I pour and it shines deep reddish brown. In the glass the beer is opaque. 2fingers of frothy brown head rise and slowly fall leaving a sheet of lace down the glass.

S: without even putting my nose to the glass I am smelling roasty darkness. A sweet hoppy nose at first followed by hints of darkness. Not as aggressively dark smelling as I had anticipated.

T: at first it is not taking me in any one direction. As the flavor sits on the palate for a second it becomes darker tasting. Hints of that black malt show then the cascade hops in it take charge and finish a little hoppier than I am used to in a stout. Very drinkable and dangerous at 8.8%

M: Heavy but not thick. Great sessionable body for a stout. Not going to weigh you down but still feels like you are drinking stout.

O: Delicious beer and at $3 a pint unbeatable price. Also spiders are awesome.

11-26-2013 02:24:40 | More by N3rdM3t4l
Sir_Goatman

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

11-24-2013 06:44:24 | More by Sir_Goatman
NOLTERN

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

I have had this beer both on tap and in a can. This time is the latter. I pour it from the can into an imperial pint style glass.

The appearance is outstanding. This is a deep, dark black colour with a toffee hued tan head. The head dissipates slowly and leaves a beautiful consistant ring throughout the experience.

The smell is layered and complex. I am struck with decadent chocolate, roasted malt and floral cascade hops. The taste is even greater than the smell sensory-wise, as the chocolate descends deeper and darker; the roast is more prevalent and I also detect fruit notes as well. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, rich and silky, and the alcohol is warm and almost entirely undetected until the glass remains half full. At this point, I am compelled to reach for the second can, for the night remains young.

Overall, this Imperial Stout is a beautiful representation of the style, and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. Bravo Fort George, Bravo.

11-22-2013 05:44:54 | More by NOLTERN