Cavatica Stout - Fort George Brewery + Public House

Fort George Brewery + Public House visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-15-2007

The Latin root of Cavatica is cave, crevice, abyss or a dark place. Just like a stout should be.
4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cavernous, shaddowy and inky, all things black are summed up in this one single ale. Their self-described ale of abyss, crevice and cave-like character certainly doesn't back down from any of those ominous aspirations.

Dark, inky and pitch black, the ale layers into the glass with tar-stained legging and a dense mocha froth. Lavish espresso, dark chocolate and burnt sugar greet the nose while its dense and cakey sweetness is of molasses, burnt brown sugar and toffee.

With the ale warming and the tastebuds acclimating to its strength, the stout begins to shed its deep and dark secrets. Those wonderfully burnt sweetnesses are savory with molasses and brittle, then woven with bitter baker's chocolate, roasted walnuts, burnt toast and earthy turkish roast coffee. Its powder-fine cocoa character trends bitter, earthy and rootish with peps of licorice and grilled grape to close.

Full, lavish and sultry, the beer's boisterous creaminess is charming with its dry char and light mesquite-like finish. Its roast-derived tannic balance and woodsy hop bitterness offset the sweetness and usher in a warm, bourbon-like mouthfeel with burnt toffee lingering in aftertaste.

4.26/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a snifter from a 16 oz can -

Color is jet black with a thin khaki head that fades to a wispy coating. Aroma is a bit of dark roasted coffee and some anise - it smell like I want my stouts to smell. Flavor is similar - a nice bitterness and maltiness combined with some dark fruit. Body is medium/full with low/medium carbonation. Overall a very good stout.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good beer. nice roasted malt, hints of chocolate, and a wonderful bitterness. the alcohol is undetectable. this stands up well to alot of other double stouts I have had.

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a fairly dark brown color with a one finger off-white to tan head. Light stringy lacing runs into the beer after the head dissipated.
The smell had some bitter to roasty notes. Remnants of chocolate blend into light black licorice tones.
The taste copies the smell by becoming slightly sweet and letting the roasty and bitter tones blend to balance nicely. There's a light black licorice to roasty aftertaste.
The mouthfeel is about medium-bodied with a smooth carbonation about it, allowing the roasty and licorice tones to impart subtle sticky to semi-roasty nuances to the beer.
Overall, this was a nice Imperial Stout that I wouldn't mind having again. Too bad, they're not in Idaho. I must make more trips to Oregon.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can (6/8/2015) into a tulip. Pours a clean chocolate brown/black w/ a 1-finger mocha head.

Aroma is bitter and roasty, chocolatey. Dry cocoa.

Taste follows nose. Dark bitter roast, chocolate, espresso. Sharp and clean.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, lingering bitter finish.

Overall a well-made, if not particularly remarkable, imperial stout.

4.41/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fort George Cavatica Stout, 8.8% abv

A: dark with a bit of off white head that completely vanishes after a while
S: malty, maybe I’m imagining a coffee aspect
T: caramelly sweet dark malt, vanilla, alcohol.
M: silky, creamy, with almost tannin like after feeling on the tongue
O: a very sugary sweet and highly alcoholic stout that is good for drinking slowly on this way too hot day.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16oz can dated 02/12/15 served into tulip

A – Pours a deep dark brown, nearly black, but slight brown around the edges. Head is espresso like and lacing is nicely left in its wake.

S – Dark richly roasted chocolate malts, dry dark bakers chocolate, roasty bitter goodness.

T – Light chocolate, lots of darkly roasted chocolate malt, bitter char and cocoa. Nice drinker.

M – Medium bodied, very easy to drink, wish the finish was a bit longer.

O – A nice drinking stout, no overly sweet notes and not unnecessarily thick. Nice.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black pour from draft with two fingers of mocha-colored head with staying power. Nice lacing as well. Solid but not overpowering aroma of coffee and chocolate with taste to match. Full bodied with perfect carbonation. A great drinking stout that does not come across as strong as it is.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can scared 9/26/2014. Served slightly chilled into an imperial pint glass.

Cavatica is a nearly black stout with thin tan colored head. It's head settles quickly and leaves little lacing beind.

Aroma is pleasantly roasty with a little milk chocolate and latte-like character.

Flavor is fairly neutral for a stout without all the intense hoppiness or booziness that many others display. Well rounded roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate all come together nicely.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus bodied and appropriately carbonated for the style. Balanced and very drinkable given how strong it is.

Overall an excellent straight up stout.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a tallboy can into a nonic pint glass. 9/29/14 canning date.

A- Exceptional looking beer. Massive foamy, chewy and sudsy head with a color like the interior of a malt ball. With the pitch black body, there's the exterior to the aforementioned malt ball. 4.75

S- Chocolate, vanilla, toffee and faded tropical hop aroma. Heavy doses of dark malt and hops give this aroma I associate with Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPAs. It's nice but more heavy on hops than I'd expect from a stout. 4

T- Bitter dark chocolate and abundant hop flavor. The hops are diverse, adding citrus, pine and resinous spice. There are light notes of caramel but really, I don't find the flavors here as true to a stout as they are to what one would expect from a Cascadian. 3.5

M- Again, the mouthfeel is more IPA-like due to a lighter than expected body, thinner feel and a bit of bubbly carbonation that accentuates the spice of the hops. 3.5

As stouts go, this doesn't hit the spot for me. As a Black IPA, this is a decent version. But it seems this beer is confused as to what it's supposed to be. I can't imagine how it would be fresher, as it seems to me it would only be heavier on the hops and more CDA-like. Hmm... Anyway, still good enough to enjoy and it drinks pleasantly enough for a nearly 9% beer.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Now this is a solid drinking man's or woman's stout and it pours as black as the night. Robust flavor that hits the palette just right, its evident this beer is made with quality ingredients and I'm a fan. This stout doesn't try and dazzle you with exotic flavors or powerful chocolates or coffees, it is an extremely well-balanced, full bodied stout that wants to come right at you and I really like that. I had a 16 ounce can that had a bit more carbonation than I like which leads to a finish thats not quite as smooth as I would prefer, but that's about the only knock I have on it. At 8.8% ABV this brew can definitely sneak up on you if you aren't careful. Fort George Brewery in Oregon got it right with this beer. I have had this beer a number of times and needless to say I'll be drinking it again in the future. If you are a classic stout fan you should enjoy this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Cold 16oz can into tulip

Appearance - A pour through light reveals a deep, dark brown with a bit of clarity: otherwise, black as night in the glass. About 1 finger tan head recedes fast, but a persistent foam cap leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Dark, toasty and roasty malts, earthy and a bit of sweet cocoa, slightly vinous and fruity

Feel/Taste - Really creamy and smooth fully body, carb is light and gentle on the palate. Up front, lots of smooth, roasty bittersweet chocolate maltiness and a bit of charred grain coat the tongue. A complex tinge of estery, vinous, sweet dark fruits and grassy/citrus hops reveals itself towards the finish, then finally finishes off-dry with roasty but light lingering bitterness, a faint alcohol warmth in the throat.

Overall - Stouts aren't a favorite of mine, but I know enough to know this is a damn good one. Big, complex, roasty flavors coat the tongue... This brew begs to be sipped and savored. It's a stout sure to please any stout lover.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Opaque black body with an off white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. The smell is of roast and coffee. Background bitter chocolate and faint sweetness. The taste is like how it smells. Light roast, coffee, background bitter chocolate, and sweetness. The sweetness is dominant. This stout is smooth all-around and the mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is medium-light, and everything blends well together. With this amount of roast, I would expect a bitter aftertaste.

This is a solid stout.

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

16oz can. Received in a trade. No dating on can so unsure of the age. The bottom of the can is stamped with "RUM".

A: A nice black, thick pour giving me a good expectation for this beer. No noticeable head even with an aggressive pour gives me a little bit of concern.

S: Very surprising. Some dark chocolate but mostly dark fruits and sweetness. No smokiness, roastiness, or coffee evident which is a little surprising for an almost 9% stout.

T: Wow, not what I expected from a stout at all. Very sweet. Get a little bit of chocolate but it is getting drowned out by the sweetness. It's just too much - heavy, sticky, and buttery all at once. I enjoy a nice sweet milk stout, but this is just too much sweetness. Absolutely do not get any of the roast or hop bitterness that other reviews speak of.

M: Full body and thick. Definitely the high point for this beer.

O: I received this beer in a trade so I have no idea of the age on it. The can states that this beer should not be aged, so I highly suspect that I got an old can since I got none of the hop bitterness and roast that other reviews talk about. If my assumption are correct and I got an old can, I highly suggest to others to heed the directions on the can and do not age this beer. It needs the hop bitterness to offset the overly sweet taste that I got from my can.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

my can said "rum" on the bottom in black ink, and i got a distinct spice and oak flavor in the beer, but im not sure they have canned the rum edition, it said nothing of the sort on the label, and some of it may be mind games, but this may be a review of the rum barrel version, could not confirm it, so it stays here under the main listing. beautiful stout, my first from fort george. crazy can with all kinds of spiders on it, yikes. the beer itself is dark brown, a little darker than root beer, but not to the hersheys syrup realm. nice frothing burlap colored head too. it smells quite sweet, maybe oatmeal in there, with a cool spice complex thats either from the yeast or from a rum barrel, and im a little surprised that i cant figure out which. the flavor is awesome, so much grain, but no bitterness at all to this roast. not sure how they pull that off, but sweetness abounds in this thing, all from the grain i assume. there is a hint of bittering hops in there, but its inconsequential really. rich feel, dark burnt sugar and candy notes on the thick liquid make it velvet going down, and only minimally boozy, just enough. i have not had much stout like this, and am surprised its not scored higher on here, its so decadent yet easy to drink, a dangerous combination for guys like me. i am infinitely curious about fort george now, and am eager to get my hands on some more of their stuff. this is just great.

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of light chocolate, some coffee. Taste is coffee, bitterness, some chocolate, a bit of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Many, many thanks to msubulldog25 for having sent this to me in the furtherance of The CANQuest (TM)! It became a part of my seemingly unmovable backlog until now, but at 8.8% ABV, I am sure that both it and I will be fine.

From the CAN: "Taxonomy: Cavatica (kuh-VAT-ick-uh)"; "1. Cavatica cervisiam [-] A lively anthropod whose habitat is the round, wooden kaggis [italicized] where natives store their traditional beverages."; "2. Cavatica stoutus [-] Strong in body and powerfully built, this thick-bodied creature exudes a distinctly bold and delicious nose."; "3. Cavatica fortus Georgium [-] A rare subspecies of cask spider, C. fortus Georgium subsists solely on discarded grains from brewery vats and spins un[CAN]nily beautiful, though lopsided, webs."; "4. Cavatica astorius [-] The White Spider of Astoria thrives in adverse [CAN]ditions, dwelling in damp [CANneries, shipwrecks, and dilapidated jetties. See also Cavatica goonius."; "5. Cavatica biberat [-] When exposed to dark, foamy liquids, this usually placid spider hollers pirate songs, cheats at cards, and argues politics with its fellow arachnids."; "Unfiltered. Expect sediment at bottom of CAN. Drink fresh. Do not age. Keep refrigerated."

Well, I aged it, but at least I had it in the refrigerator. I promised The Ex-Old Lady that I would utilize the gentlest of Glugs if the CAN indicated that such was in order and I remain a man of my word even as she reduces in my rear view mirror. The Crack! revealed yet another brimful craft CAN, but I could not celebrate with an inverted Glug. My gentle Glug filled my glass, but only produced a brief amount of dark-tan head that quickly CANverted to wisps. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was smoky, roasty, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, leather, sherry, everything that one expects in better iterations of the style. Mouthfeel was medium, but my inadvertent aging had not put a dent it its flavor! In addition to the melange of smells now translating to tastes, it still had some heat going. Phew. I had just awakened from a nap before I started in on this and it suddenly began to seem as though I may need to lay down again. The alcohol was really prevalent, trumping the smoky chocolatiness on the tongue. Finish was dry and somewhat hot, reminding me of a mixed drink in a way, but I could not lay my finger precisely on it. I am not a huge fan of the style, preferring AIPAs as a self-avowed hophead, but I was fascinated by the way that this had not only held up under my mishandling, but it retained its flavor nicely and the heat makes me wonder how intense it might be when fresh. I would put it next to Ten Fidy and defy anyone to put it in their cooler when headed to the beach. An intense beer, no doubt, but not my cuppa tea.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tall boy can to snifter.

A: pours jet black with thick brown head. Leaves wonderful lacing.

S: interesting mix of licorice, dark fruit, chocolate, oats and hops.

T: chocolate covered fruits with a bit of woody char.

M: rather full body, but not overwhelming. Light carbonation, and a dry finish.

O: this is a bargain stout that is tasty, and dangerously drinkable at 8.8% abv. Pick some up.

3.89/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can into shaker pint. canning date on bottom of can is September 13 2013
A: a little light passes through as I pour and it shines deep reddish brown. In the glass the beer is opaque. 2fingers of frothy brown head rise and slowly fall leaving a sheet of lace down the glass.

S: without even putting my nose to the glass I am smelling roasty darkness. A sweet hoppy nose at first followed by hints of darkness. Not as aggressively dark smelling as I had anticipated.

T: at first it is not taking me in any one direction. As the flavor sits on the palate for a second it becomes darker tasting. Hints of that black malt show then the cascade hops in it take charge and finish a little hoppier than I am used to in a stout. Very drinkable and dangerous at 8.8%

M: Heavy but not thick. Great sessionable body for a stout. Not going to weigh you down but still feels like you are drinking stout.

O: Delicious beer and at $3 a pint unbeatable price. Also spiders are awesome.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

I have had this beer both on tap and in a can. This time is the latter. I pour it from the can into an imperial pint style glass.

The appearance is outstanding. This is a deep, dark black colour with a toffee hued tan head. The head dissipates slowly and leaves a beautiful consistant ring throughout the experience.

The smell is layered and complex. I am struck with decadent chocolate, roasted malt and floral cascade hops. The taste is even greater than the smell sensory-wise, as the chocolate descends deeper and darker; the roast is more prevalent and I also detect fruit notes as well. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, rich and silky, and the alcohol is warm and almost entirely undetected until the glass remains half full. At this point, I am compelled to reach for the second can, for the night remains young.

Overall, this Imperial Stout is a beautiful representation of the style, and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. Bravo Fort George, Bravo.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pounder can pouree into a standard pint. Even at excessively cold temps, this one was a gusher. Poured down the side of the glass carefully, it fills the glass with foam. Several pours later, a black brew rests in the glass. The cap maintains rediculous volume and as it fades, leaves patches of lace on the glass.

The aroma is roasted with notes of coffee, earth, char and minerals to carbonic quality. Some dark fruitiness and hints of raisony alcohol mixed with molasses come out as it warms up. It is a little grassy and vegetative with hops.

The flavor is roasted with notes of earth, tobacco, char, leather and coffee. A citrus component before warming alcohol and some molasses-like sweetness blending with a hint of fruity alcohol.

This is a medium bodied brew that is excessively carbonated to the point of being distracting. Initially it opens up bad and a little off but as it warms up, it really becomes enjoyable. Im glad I gave this one some time to breath and really ended up enjoying it after the initial "yuck" impression. Would drink again.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured jet black with a nice, frothy brownish cap which leaves some decent lacing and bubbles as it settles

S: Mainly dark chocolate, a nice roastiness, almost a burnt/scroched like element, light coffee with some licorice notes to it

T: Initial heavy roasted black barley which lends a hand to a blend of light coffee, dark chocolate and licorice. A little booze sting is noticed just above the flavor profile. The finish, is sordove dry, clean, a little sweetness, some roasted bittering elements, floral hops underneath.

M: Medium to medium full body. The Munich malt is distinguishable as is the wallop of black roasted barley. Carbonation is good. Nice pseudo creaminess mouthfeel

O: Some other reviews have mentioned "whiskey/bourbon" elements. This not a BA stout, while there is BA version of this(which I have tried) it was not canned. Secondly, comparing this to a CDA is not justification for a beer that does a decent job of hitting all of the guidelines of an Imperial Stout. A good beer for the price point.

3.19/5  rDev -18%

I do love a good stout when the weather begins to turn cold and damp here in the pacific northwest.
So I picked this one up in a four pack from Pint Defiance in Tacoma on a whim. The prospect of an Imperial Stout was particularly inviting, although I did raise an eyebrow at the 8% abv. So rush home and crack open a can to be transferred to a 16oz pounder. Granted, not ideal, but seems adequate since most beers I am introduced to are from pubs/bars and would be the standard glassware. I digress, The pour yields a thick liquid terminating in a thin bubbly head that quickly fizzles out to a nice lace. A quick deep sniff brings up some fruity, herbal scents, but not too strong.
The first sip is not too pleasant. Maybe the can has some influence as it is a bit metallic, but another sip gives way to some nice dark fruit and caramel flavor,heavy whiskey alcohol punch, then the hops resounds across the palate hanging strong in the front and canceling out some promising flavor profiles. Subsequent sips yield much the same results, though as the beer warms closer to room temp I do find some fruity esters and even a bit of licorice, but that mingles with the alcohol producing a bit of nyquil original flavor. I do want to find those biscuity,malty, caramels that I associate with stout, but I really just think of this as more of the Black IPA style that has been popping up as of late due to the heavy hop situation going on. In that case I would give it some 4's, but it is a stout...
Now to be sure, hoppy is not a bad thing. The hops has a nice refreshing herbal kick, but it seems to overplay the thick malty characteristics of a good stout. I seem to see this amongst the breweries around here lately. The tendency to put too much emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle i.e. over hopping a beer style that can stand well on its own. I'm not talking down about the brewer, they did a good job and I would certainly try this again when the mood for that Black IPA strikes, but my search for this seasons stout offerings will continue.
(Side Note: One can went to a 16oz pounder, one to a Merlot glass, and one to a 16oz sport mug. One to go alongside some righteous BBQ pork! Hehe!)

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Inky dark brown and leaves a lot of beige foam in the glass. Rather winey and chocolatey. Lots of dark roast and charred malt. Sweet and fruity in an unusual way. Reminds me of persimmons with a little licorice.

A chalky taste comes to mind. Not among the best big stouts I've had. There seems to be an oxidized flavor or something that detracts from the usual smooth sweetness. but it's an interesting grainy and tangy brew. From the 16 oz can purchased at Hondo's Brew & Cork in Astoria.

3.61/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pitch black with about an inch of Khaki head after about a minute dissipated into almost nothing. Lacing all the way

Vanilla, Cocoa, Dark fruits like cherries and plums, toffee and slight alcohol.

Chocolate starts to come through despite absence in the nose but the flavor is predominated by roasted taste and dark fruits.

Moderate carbonation, lights up your taste buds on your tongue. Lingers a bit

Good beer, not great. I would definitely recommend buying some if you have the oppurtunity but not sure I would search it out. The roasted/char flavor is a bit too predominant to give it the complexity of a whale or its easier to find equivalent.

Cavatica Stout from Fort George Brewery + Public House