Cavatica Stout - Fort George Brewery + Public House

Fort George Brewery + Public House visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-15-2007

The Latin root of Cavatica is cave, crevice, abyss or a dark place. Just like a stout should be.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 197 | Reviews: 54

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Now this is a solid drinking man's or woman's stout and it pours as black as the night. Robust flavor that hits the palette just right, its evident this beer is made with quality ingredients and I'm a fan. This stout doesn't try and dazzle you with exotic flavors or powerful chocolates or coffees, it is an extremely well-balanced, full bodied stout that wants to come right at you and I really like that. I had a 16 ounce can that had a bit more carbonation than I like which leads to a finish thats not quite as smooth as I would prefer, but that's about the only knock I have on it. At 8.8% ABV this brew can definitely sneak up on you if you aren't careful. Fort George Brewery in Oregon got it right with this beer. I have had this beer a number of times and needless to say I'll be drinking it again in the future. If you are a classic stout fan you should enjoy this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Cold 16oz can into tulip

Appearance - A pour through light reveals a deep, dark brown with a bit of clarity: otherwise, black as night in the glass. About 1 finger tan head recedes fast, but a persistent foam cap leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Dark, toasty and roasty malts, earthy and a bit of sweet cocoa, slightly vinous and fruity

Feel/Taste - Really creamy and smooth fully body, carb is light and gentle on the palate. Up front, lots of smooth, roasty bittersweet chocolate maltiness and a bit of charred grain coat the tongue. A complex tinge of estery, vinous, sweet dark fruits and grassy/citrus hops reveals itself towards the finish, then finally finishes off-dry with roasty but light lingering bitterness, a faint alcohol warmth in the throat.

Overall - Stouts aren't a favorite of mine, but I know enough to know this is a damn good one. Big, complex, roasty flavors coat the tongue... This brew begs to be sipped and savored. It's a stout sure to please any stout lover.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Opaque black body with an off white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. The smell is of roast and coffee. Background bitter chocolate and faint sweetness. The taste is like how it smells. Light roast, coffee, background bitter chocolate, and sweetness. The sweetness is dominant. This stout is smooth all-around and the mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is medium-light, and everything blends well together. With this amount of roast, I would expect a bitter aftertaste.

This is a solid stout.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.18/5  rDev -18%

16oz can. Received in a trade. No dating on can so unsure of the age. The bottom of the can is stamped with "RUM".

A: A nice black, thick pour giving me a good expectation for this beer. No noticeable head even with an aggressive pour gives me a little bit of concern.

S: Very surprising. Some dark chocolate but mostly dark fruits and sweetness. No smokiness, roastiness, or coffee evident which is a little surprising for an almost 9% stout.

T: Wow, not what I expected from a stout at all. Very sweet. Get a little bit of chocolate but it is getting drowned out by the sweetness. It's just too much - heavy, sticky, and buttery all at once. I enjoy a nice sweet milk stout, but this is just too much sweetness. Absolutely do not get any of the roast or hop bitterness that other reviews speak of.

M: Full body and thick. Definitely the high point for this beer.

O: I received this beer in a trade so I have no idea of the age on it. The can states that this beer should not be aged, so I highly suspect that I got an old can since I got none of the hop bitterness and roast that other reviews talk about. If my assumption are correct and I got an old can, I highly suggest to others to heed the directions on the can and do not age this beer. It needs the hop bitterness to offset the overly sweet taste that I got from my can.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cavatica Stout from Fort George Brewery + Public House