Cavatica Stout - Fort George Brewery + Public House

Cavatica StoutCavatica Stout

Fort George Brewery + Public House visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

The Latin root of Cavatica is cave, crevice, abyss or a dark place. Just like a stout should be.

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-15-2007)
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

my can said "rum" on the bottom in black ink, and i got a distinct spice and oak flavor in the beer, but im not sure they have canned the rum edition, it said nothing of the sort on the label, and some of it may be mind games, but this may be a review of the rum barrel version, could not confirm it, so it stays here under the main listing. beautiful stout, my first from fort george. crazy can with all kinds of spiders on it, yikes. the beer itself is dark brown, a little darker than root beer, but not to the hersheys syrup realm. nice frothing burlap colored head too. it smells quite sweet, maybe oatmeal in there, with a cool spice complex thats either from the yeast or from a rum barrel, and im a little surprised that i cant figure out which. the flavor is awesome, so much grain, but no bitterness at all to this roast. not sure how they pull that off, but sweetness abounds in this thing, all from the grain i assume. there is a hint of bittering hops in there, but its inconsequential really. rich feel, dark burnt sugar and candy notes on the thick liquid make it velvet going down, and only minimally boozy, just enough. i have not had much stout like this, and am surprised its not scored higher on here, its so decadent yet easy to drink, a dangerous combination for guys like me. i am infinitely curious about fort george now, and am eager to get my hands on some more of their stuff. this is just great.

StonedTrippin, May 27, 2014

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

darian, Mar 29, 2014

aasher, Mar 29, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -8%

A big thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of light chocolate, some coffee. Taste is coffee, bitterness, some chocolate, a bit of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

tone77, Mar 20, 2014

Kyroqz, Mar 15, 2014

510a, Feb 27, 2014

RHVC59, Feb 13, 2014

Mphis, Feb 12, 2014

Devi0us, Feb 09, 2014

TaborTime, Feb 05, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Many, many thanks to msubulldog25 for having sent this to me in the furtherance of The CANQuest (TM)! It became a part of my seemingly unmovable backlog until now, but at 8.8% ABV, I am sure that both it and I will be fine.

From the CAN: "Taxonomy: Cavatica (kuh-VAT-ick-uh)"; "1. Cavatica cervisiam [-] A lively anthropod whose habitat is the round, wooden kaggis [italicized] where natives store their traditional beverages."; "2. Cavatica stoutus [-] Strong in body and powerfully built, this thick-bodied creature exudes a distinctly bold and delicious nose."; "3. Cavatica fortus Georgium [-] A rare subspecies of cask spider, C. fortus Georgium subsists solely on discarded grains from brewery vats and spins un[CAN]nily beautiful, though lopsided, webs."; "4. Cavatica astorius [-] The White Spider of Astoria thrives in adverse [CAN]ditions, dwelling in damp [CANneries, shipwrecks, and dilapidated jetties. See also Cavatica goonius."; "5. Cavatica biberat [-] When exposed to dark, foamy liquids, this usually placid spider hollers pirate songs, cheats at cards, and argues politics with its fellow arachnids."; "Unfiltered. Expect sediment at bottom of CAN. Drink fresh. Do not age. Keep refrigerated."

Well, I aged it, but at least I had it in the refrigerator. I promised The Ex-Old Lady that I would utilize the gentlest of Glugs if the CAN indicated that such was in order and I remain a man of my word even as she reduces in my rear view mirror. The Crack! revealed yet another brimful craft CAN, but I could not celebrate with an inverted Glug. My gentle Glug filled my glass, but only produced a brief amount of dark-tan head that quickly CANverted to wisps. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was smoky, roasty, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, leather, sherry, everything that one expects in better iterations of the style. Mouthfeel was medium, but my inadvertent aging had not put a dent it its flavor! In addition to the melange of smells now translating to tastes, it still had some heat going. Phew. I had just awakened from a nap before I started in on this and it suddenly began to seem as though I may need to lay down again. The alcohol was really prevalent, trumping the smoky chocolatiness on the tongue. Finish was dry and somewhat hot, reminding me of a mixed drink in a way, but I could not lay my finger precisely on it. I am not a huge fan of the style, preferring AIPAs as a self-avowed hophead, but I was fascinated by the way that this had not only held up under my mishandling, but it retained its flavor nicely and the heat makes me wonder how intense it might be when fresh. I would put it next to Ten Fidy and defy anyone to put it in their cooler when headed to the beach. An intense beer, no doubt, but not my cuppa tea.

woodychandler, Jan 31, 2014

jmccraney, Jan 23, 2014

apf, Jan 17, 2014

aelinnar, Jan 17, 2014

Kurmaraja, Jan 07, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Tall boy can to snifter.

A: pours jet black with thick brown head. Leaves wonderful lacing.

S: interesting mix of licorice, dark fruit, chocolate, oats and hops.

T: chocolate covered fruits with a bit of woody char.

M: rather full body, but not overwhelming. Light carbonation, and a dry finish.

O: this is a bargain stout that is tasty, and dangerously drinkable at 8.8% abv. Pick some up.

South2NW, Dec 11, 2013

chossboss, Dec 01, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

16oz can into shaker pint. canning date on bottom of can is September 13 2013
A: a little light passes through as I pour and it shines deep reddish brown. In the glass the beer is opaque. 2fingers of frothy brown head rise and slowly fall leaving a sheet of lace down the glass.

S: without even putting my nose to the glass I am smelling roasty darkness. A sweet hoppy nose at first followed by hints of darkness. Not as aggressively dark smelling as I had anticipated.

T: at first it is not taking me in any one direction. As the flavor sits on the palate for a second it becomes darker tasting. Hints of that black malt show then the cascade hops in it take charge and finish a little hoppier than I am used to in a stout. Very drinkable and dangerous at 8.8%

M: Heavy but not thick. Great sessionable body for a stout. Not going to weigh you down but still feels like you are drinking stout.

O: Delicious beer and at $3 a pint unbeatable price. Also spiders are awesome.

N3rdM3t4l, Nov 26, 2013