Cavatica Stout - Fort George Brewery + Public House

Cavatica StoutCavatica Stout

Fort George Brewery + Public House visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.80% ABV

The Latin root of Cavatica is cave, crevice, abyss or a dark place. Just like a stout should be.

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-15-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

TaborTime

02-05-2014 00:10:41 | More by TaborTime
woodychandler

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Many, many thanks to msubulldog25 for having sent this to me in the furtherance of The CANQuest (TM)! It became a part of my seemingly unmovable backlog until now, but at 8.8% ABV, I am sure that both it and I will be fine.

From the CAN: "Taxonomy: Cavatica (kuh-VAT-ick-uh)"; "1. Cavatica cervisiam [-] A lively anthropod whose habitat is the round, wooden kaggis [italicized] where natives store their traditional beverages."; "2. Cavatica stoutus [-] Strong in body and powerfully built, this thick-bodied creature exudes a distinctly bold and delicious nose."; "3. Cavatica fortus Georgium [-] A rare subspecies of cask spider, C. fortus Georgium subsists solely on discarded grains from brewery vats and spins un[CAN]nily beautiful, though lopsided, webs."; "4. Cavatica astorius [-] The White Spider of Astoria thrives in adverse [CAN]ditions, dwelling in damp [CANneries, shipwrecks, and dilapidated jetties. See also Cavatica goonius."; "5. Cavatica biberat [-] When exposed to dark, foamy liquids, this usually placid spider hollers pirate songs, cheats at cards, and argues politics with its fellow arachnids."; "Unfiltered. Expect sediment at bottom of CAN. Drink fresh. Do not age. Keep refrigerated."

Well, I aged it, but at least I had it in the refrigerator. I promised The Ex-Old Lady that I would utilize the gentlest of Glugs if the CAN indicated that such was in order and I remain a man of my word even as she reduces in my rear view mirror. The Crack! revealed yet another brimful craft CAN, but I could not celebrate with an inverted Glug. My gentle Glug filled my glass, but only produced a brief amount of dark-tan head that quickly CANverted to wisps. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing zero light penetration. Nose was smoky, roasty, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, leather, sherry, everything that one expects in better iterations of the style. Mouthfeel was medium, but my inadvertent aging had not put a dent it its flavor! In addition to the melange of smells now translating to tastes, it still had some heat going. Phew. I had just awakened from a nap before I started in on this and it suddenly began to seem as though I may need to lay down again. The alcohol was really prevalent, trumping the smoky chocolatiness on the tongue. Finish was dry and somewhat hot, reminding me of a mixed drink in a way, but I could not lay my finger precisely on it. I am not a huge fan of the style, preferring AIPAs as a self-avowed hophead, but I was fascinated by the way that this had not only held up under my mishandling, but it retained its flavor nicely and the heat makes me wonder how intense it might be when fresh. I would put it next to Ten Fidy and defy anyone to put it in their cooler when headed to the beach. An intense beer, no doubt, but not my cuppa tea.

01-31-2014 22:58:15 | More by woodychandler

Kurmaraja

01-07-2014 19:14:01 | More by Kurmaraja
South2NW

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tall boy can to snifter.

A: pours jet black with thick brown head. Leaves wonderful lacing.

S: interesting mix of licorice, dark fruit, chocolate, oats and hops.

T: chocolate covered fruits with a bit of woody char.

M: rather full body, but not overwhelming. Light carbonation, and a dry finish.

O: this is a bargain stout that is tasty, and dangerously drinkable at 8.8% abv. Pick some up.

12-11-2013 03:44:11 | More by South2NW
chossboss

12-01-2013 21:41:43 | More by chossboss
N3rdM3t4l

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can into shaker pint. canning date on bottom of can is September 13 2013
A: a little light passes through as I pour and it shines deep reddish brown. In the glass the beer is opaque. 2fingers of frothy brown head rise and slowly fall leaving a sheet of lace down the glass.

S: without even putting my nose to the glass I am smelling roasty darkness. A sweet hoppy nose at first followed by hints of darkness. Not as aggressively dark smelling as I had anticipated.

T: at first it is not taking me in any one direction. As the flavor sits on the palate for a second it becomes darker tasting. Hints of that black malt show then the cascade hops in it take charge and finish a little hoppier than I am used to in a stout. Very drinkable and dangerous at 8.8%

M: Heavy but not thick. Great sessionable body for a stout. Not going to weigh you down but still feels like you are drinking stout.

O: Delicious beer and at $3 a pint unbeatable price. Also spiders are awesome.

11-26-2013 02:24:40 | More by N3rdM3t4l
Sir_Goatman

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

11-24-2013 06:44:24 | More by Sir_Goatman
NOLTERN

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

I have had this beer both on tap and in a can. This time is the latter. I pour it from the can into an imperial pint style glass.

The appearance is outstanding. This is a deep, dark black colour with a toffee hued tan head. The head dissipates slowly and leaves a beautiful consistant ring throughout the experience.

The smell is layered and complex. I am struck with decadent chocolate, roasted malt and floral cascade hops. The taste is even greater than the smell sensory-wise, as the chocolate descends deeper and darker; the roast is more prevalent and I also detect fruit notes as well. The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, rich and silky, and the alcohol is warm and almost entirely undetected until the glass remains half full. At this point, I am compelled to reach for the second can, for the night remains young.

Overall, this Imperial Stout is a beautiful representation of the style, and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. Bravo Fort George, Bravo.

11-22-2013 05:44:54 | More by NOLTERN

Georgia

11-14-2013 17:09:01 | More by sendbeer
stakem

3.66/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pounder can pouree into a standard pint. Even at excessively cold temps, this one was a gusher. Poured down the side of the glass carefully, it fills the glass with foam. Several pours later, a black brew rests in the glass. The cap maintains rediculous volume and as it fades, leaves patches of lace on the glass.

The aroma is roasted with notes of coffee, earth, char and minerals to carbonic quality. Some dark fruitiness and hints of raisony alcohol mixed with molasses come out as it warms up. It is a little grassy and vegetative with hops.

The flavor is roasted with notes of earth, tobacco, char, leather and coffee. A citrus component before warming alcohol and some molasses-like sweetness blending with a hint of fruity alcohol.

This is a medium bodied brew that is excessively carbonated to the point of being distracting. Initially it opens up bad and a little off but as it warms up, it really becomes enjoyable. Im glad I gave this one some time to breath and really ended up enjoying it after the initial "yuck" impression. Would drink again.

11-14-2013 15:09:58 | More by stakem

cjpalist

09-29-2013 17:47:01 | More by cjpalist
barleywinefiend

3.64/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured jet black with a nice, frothy brownish cap which leaves some decent lacing and bubbles as it settles

S: Mainly dark chocolate, a nice roastiness, almost a burnt/scroched like element, light coffee with some licorice notes to it

T: Initial heavy roasted black barley which lends a hand to a blend of light coffee, dark chocolate and licorice. A little booze sting is noticed just above the flavor profile. The finish, is sordove dry, clean, a little sweetness, some roasted bittering elements, floral hops underneath.

M: Medium to medium full body. The Munich malt is distinguishable as is the wallop of black roasted barley. Carbonation is good. Nice pseudo creaminess mouthfeel

O: Some other reviews have mentioned "whiskey/bourbon" elements. This not a BA stout, while there is BA version of this(which I have tried) it was not canned. Secondly, comparing this to a CDA is not justification for a beer that does a decent job of hitting all of the guidelines of an Imperial Stout. A good beer for the price point.

09-25-2013 17:28:48 | More by barleywinefiend
CoolKayak1978

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

I do love a good stout when the weather begins to turn cold and damp here in the pacific northwest.
So I picked this one up in a four pack from Pint Defiance in Tacoma on a whim. The prospect of an Imperial Stout was particularly inviting, although I did raise an eyebrow at the 8% abv. So rush home and crack open a can to be transferred to a 16oz pounder. Granted, not ideal, but seems adequate since most beers I am introduced to are from pubs/bars and would be the standard glassware. I digress, The pour yields a thick liquid terminating in a thin bubbly head that quickly fizzles out to a nice lace. A quick deep sniff brings up some fruity, herbal scents, but not too strong.
The first sip is not too pleasant. Maybe the can has some influence as it is a bit metallic, but another sip gives way to some nice dark fruit and caramel flavor,heavy whiskey alcohol punch, then the hops resounds across the palate hanging strong in the front and canceling out some promising flavor profiles. Subsequent sips yield much the same results, though as the beer warms closer to room temp I do find some fruity esters and even a bit of licorice, but that mingles with the alcohol producing a bit of nyquil original flavor. I do want to find those biscuity,malty, caramels that I associate with stout, but I really just think of this as more of the Black IPA style that has been popping up as of late due to the heavy hop situation going on. In that case I would give it some 4's, but it is a stout...
Now to be sure, hoppy is not a bad thing. The hops has a nice refreshing herbal kick, but it seems to overplay the thick malty characteristics of a good stout. I seem to see this amongst the breweries around here lately. The tendency to put too much emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle i.e. over hopping a beer style that can stand well on its own. I'm not talking down about the brewer, they did a good job and I would certainly try this again when the mood for that Black IPA strikes, but my search for this seasons stout offerings will continue.
(Side Note: One can went to a 16oz pounder, one to a Merlot glass, and one to a 16oz sport mug. One to go alongside some righteous BBQ pork! Hehe!)

09-25-2013 06:54:46 | More by CoolKayak1978