White Storm - The Brew Keeper

good

The Brew Keeper visit their website
Ohio, United States

Cream Ale |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Ricochet on 08-22-2008)
Reviews by Ryan011235:
3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into a snifter on 9/10/09

A - Dark reddish-brown, similar to colas. ¼ inch head that quickly died to a thin layer. Weak lacing.

S - Big vanilla presence upfront with coconut & marshmallow (wtf?). Hints of candied fruits & sweet malts. There's a booziness in the nose, too.

T - Vanilla, coconut & rum is the discernible culmination of what's going on. Bits of toasty malt & caramel notes.

M - Full-bodied with moderate carbonation. A decent amount of heat from the alcohol, but not too bad. Slick on the tongue.

D - All in all, I think it tastes pretty good & makes for a nice after dinner mint. It's certainly grown on me.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks for this hitchiker bakerslp. Pour a whitish big foamy cup. Coconut-vanilla aroma, with some funky yeast. Creamy mouthfeel that is a cream-yeast concoction. Alcohol is warming. This must be shared, but I did drink it myself. Unique.On the sweet side but not cloying.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - a thick looking pour, the beer pouring like thin syrup. A little roughness gets a scant layer of dirty white foam. A slightly hazed orange/amber color. Not much lacing, a few dots here and there.

Aroma - a bit buttery, a touch of vanilla. the vanilla takes over after some setup time.

Taste - sweet grain, on par for the style on steroids. Some light caramel flavor with warmth, but the sweet vanilla flavor dominates, layered in there along with a little diacetyl. The aftertaste and finish are sweet, slightly fruity, and quite wet.

Mouthfeel - slick, fairly big body and lower than average carbonation. Works for a cream ale of any strength.

Drinkability - better on tap, but the bottles were easier to share with a number of fine folks during sand vball. Popular stuff, vanilla goes with everything!

4.8/5  rDev +29%

This is a fantastic taste and will completely change your perception of cream ales. This beer has a wonderful light caramelized taste to it and although high in alcohol, it is by no means a part of the taste. The nose also features a scent I can only relate to a cream soda dum dum pop.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber courtesy of ogglethorp poured into a tulip.

Pours a dark slightly hazy amber with a small bubbly beige head that recedes almost immediately despite an aggressive pour. There is a tiny collar that hangs on for a while and leaves no lacing at all.

The aroma is sweet cereal grains and butter. There are some underlying toasted malts as well. It's not altogether unpleasant but nothing that would make me look forward to the beer.

The taste is more of the same with a sugary sweetness dominating the taste with a little bit of caramel malts and lots of toasted barley. The finish is crazy sweet, overly sweet actually and keeps the drinkability low.

The mouthfeel is medium to full and very slick with a pretty low carbonation. Sticky sweet overall and not necessarily in a good way.

I can't say I've ever tried an imperial cream ale but I was not that impressed with this beer anyway. It's got a fairly nondescript aroma and taste dominated by a sugary sweetness that doesn't sit exactly right with me. Glad I tried it tough.

3.2/5  rDev -14%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a nonic.

A- Slightly hazy orange/copper. ~1 finger of head, which quickly fades to a thin, oily smattering.

S- Sweet, corny/apple juice booziness.

T- Grainy / apple sweetness. A hint of vanilla and a fairly alcohol flavor. Bitterness is low.

M- Moderately low carbonation, medium feel, and quite slick.

D- Decent. Not wowed at all by the flavor and smell, but it is very easy drinking for it's high ABV%.

Future outlook: I've tried it, and now I can move on to something else. No need to repeat.

4.65/5  rDev +25%

Imperial Cream Ale. 11% Insane? Wow. I don't like cream ales, the few micro brewed are always high ABV and medium flavored, like a yellow beer, only strong. Not my thing. When I saw this, it was in a sampler so I figured it would be sample and move along. It was my first time sampling the Mad Brewer's wares. This is one of the beers that makes the place the best in Cleveland.

This pours a hazy lighter brown that you can't see through. The lace stays, the head was small. Very slight carbonation. Smells, well, alcohol and roasted malt. Real light, but nothing like I've had. Maybe a little cinnamon, otherwise, deceiving.

Mouth is creamy, as advertised, but the heat generated from 11% on the tongue announces this is not your daddy's Genny Cream. Bitter aftertaste is slight as well as sweetness and alcohol. What a blend.

Butterscotch is the big flavor here. Butterscotch beer? I have had some scotch ales, and it leans that way, but the butterscotch disc melting on the tongue, not being sweet, but mellow and combining with alcohol, hops, malt and even a wine like bitterness, this is simply the best cream ale I've had.

Best beer at the Brew Keeper period.

I am not a fan. This beer started out promising enough with a deep, rich, brilliant amber color and a tall white head. However, both aroma and flavor were a sickeningly sweet cereal graininess. This is about my least favorite flavor note present in beer, so I was not a fan of this one. Way too over-the-top sweetness and a sticky sweet mouthfeel ensured this beer would not be one of my favorites.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a real life picture of lightning storm over North Ridgeville. I find that some what funny because a white storm usually refers to a snow storm instead of a regular thunder storm. At the top of the label is the name of the beer in bold black letters. In the middle of the label is a beaker set with the initials MB in between the beakers. Then in the lower right hand corner is where you can find the ABV of 11%! That sounds just a bit excessive. On the far edges of the label is where you can find all the mandatory US information. It seemed a little weird at the time, but I served this beer in a Unibroue Tulip.

This Imperial Cream Ale poured a lightly hazy cherry amber with some minor lemon yellow highlights along the sides of the beer. There wasn't much of a head of foam at first, but then out of nowhere, up rises a 1/4 to 1/2 inch cream colored head of foam. This small head of foam had decent retention that left behind a tiny string of rings and 2 blots of lace around the glass.

I've had other Brew Keeper beers where the aroma was dead on and some where they have been out of this world and I don't mean that in a good way. This one was one of those out of this world ones. I hate to say this, but I can describe the aroma in the two short words, lightly sour. Lightly sour with fruits? No, it was just sour! Even when the beer warms up a bit, it still had the same aroma. I guess I can say that it was a sour cream (Ale) aroma.

After the sour aroma, I thought the sourness was done and gone. The taste proved me wrong. The taste kicked off with a slight cherry/ orange sourness and then mid way through the taste, this fruity sourness turned into a dry sourness. A Cream Ale with two different kinds of sour? I'm thinking something has to be wrong with this beer and it's not my fault. After the 2 sour tastes, the taste then finishes up with a subtle wheat taste. I thought this beer was going to have more of a wheat presence in it, but I guess I'm wrong.

It was in the mouthfeel where this beer shined like a diamond. There's no way in hell you could tell that this beer had a whopping 11% ABV if they didn't list it on the front label. You could easily drink a whole bottle of this and never would have guessed that the ABV% was set that high. This beer did have an aftertaste, but like the aroma and the taste, it too was lightly sour. I don't feel like getting into that, but this beer did hide it's high ABV%.

After drinking this bottle, I have to go back to the Brew Keeper to try this beer again to see if the another bottle or the draft version tastes like this bottle. I'm doubtful, but after having a few different Brew Keeper beers, I wouldn't be surprised if this beer really tastes like my bottle.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Bright pumpkin with honey bee colored trim. I was expected something lighter, more yellow. The slim slice of beige colored foam is essentially featureless and leaves the glass virtually untouched. Since the ABV might have something to do with the appearance, I've cut the score some slack.

The nose is equally unremarkable. What I can appreciate smells like American malt liquor, although with almost no apparent ethanol. Warming brings a slight sweetness and subtle vanilla-like notes, making me think that I could have picked the correct style after all... if given at least three guesses.

White Storm definitely does not taste like American malt liquor. Against all odds, it really does taste like an Imperial cream ale, so points for that. Whether it's worthwhile beer is another story. Maybe it's my big beer bias talking, but I'm actually starting to enjoy this burly brew.

I'm also reminded of a big bock, but beer of that style doesn't taste this much like sugared vanilla beans. The sweetness is right on point, staying well away from cloying. Additional flavors include a flash of honey and a bit of butterscotch. The 11.0% ABV drinks like no more than 8.0%.

The body/mouthfeel would be even better if it was bigger, but that doesn't mean it isn't impressive. All those malt sugars (and candi sugar?) give the beer a medium-full character that has just enough chewiness to satisfy. Well done here as well.

White Storm is just about as good as an Imperial cream ale can possibly be. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up in style exactness and drinkability. This is a good choice to get the natives through those long, northern Ohio winters, where the 'white storms' are legendary. In fact, I battled through one during the drive into Cleveland several weeks ago.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

Reviewed on 06/04/2009. Bottle at PPRBSG09. This beer pours a murky brown with a small white head. Aroma of sweet, sticky malt. Flavor of sweet light malts, very sweet, no wonder this is 11% (didn't know at the time). Still, it's a little bland and overpowering.

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a hazy dark copper to amber in color with a medium sized white head that slowly dissipates. Aroma is some nice caramel and butterscotch sweetness; honey, lemon, and sweet berries. Some belgian yeastiness and spice as well. Flavor is more of the bready, toasty yeast and spice up front along with a bit of caramel, slight perfuminess mid taste, with a cream soda and vanilla flavor in the finish. A little warmth of alcohol and some lemon-lime flavor in the finish as well. Mouthfeel is medium in body, soft and somewhat creamy carbonation, a slightly dry finish with just a little tanginess to it. This is definitely a unique beer, unlike anything I've tried, sort of like an alcoholic cream soda, but more on the beer side of that description. Very good, and the alcohol is well masked for the stated 11%. Very glad I was able to try this and look forward to more from the brew keeper. Thanks to George for the opportunity.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Live review. Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into my Brewery Ommegang tulip glass or snifter. Purchased for $7.99 at Reider's Market in Painesville about 2 months ago. No observed "best by" or "freshness date" found by me on label or the bottle. 11.0% ABV

A Nice golden orange body under an off white creamy head that was about 1 cm and dissipated down to trace within one minute. 4.0

S Not a strong smell (a bit of a surprise given the alcohol) except that there was a pleasant barley malt smell of gentle sweetness. I like this smell but it is a bit distant. 4.0

T I don't know...this is an odd beer. There is the malt presence and a kick of alcohol (it certainly comes through in the taste if not in the smell) but there is also a kind of candy barley taste that I do not recall tasting in any other beer. As the beer warmed there was a bit of Crème Soda malt sweetness. 3.5

M Big with alcohol, sweetness as mentioned. 3.5

D Well this is a big beer and so I will just drink the bomber. It is not particularly drinkable (not a session beer) but I am not sure that it was the intention. All things considered, it has enough interest for me to enjoy drinking it a bit above average. 3.5

White Storm from The Brew Keeper