A Shot In The Dark Espresso Stout - The Shed Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

The Shed Restaurant & Brewery
Vermont, United States

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: NoLiberty on 11-28-2005)
Reviews by NoLiberty:
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

I heard a lot about this stout prior to brewing, so it was with much anticipation that I finally tried this rich beer. It was at the brewers house after a session of Dark Lord, 4 year old Chimay and Rodenbach Grand Cru that I finally had my first glass, not pint. And why not? This beer swells with espresso and must be approached with the sincerity of one who knows his fate. Mine was an early morning.

Despite the previous samplings my palate was still mightily impressed by the rich roasted malt, slight bitterness and fully rounded nutty flavor. This is a beer that comes from a brewer well versed in overly strong - 10% - imperial stouts. And while this espresso stout doesn't register nearly as high is with a keen touch toward balance and full flavor that this beer is made.

Drink happy and with time on hand.

NoLiberty, Nov 28, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Appears black with a dark brown soapy head. Considering grassrootsVT grabbed a growler off of a nitro pour for me, I wasn't expecting much but it gave me an ok head on the pour. I understand how this would normally be though on a nitro pour.
Smell is of creamy smooth double shot of roasted espresso...rightous!
Taste is very rich of espresso and it is a joy to drink as an digestif.
Mouthfeel is smooth, sweet, roasty, with mild coffee bitterness.
I drank this in the company of one of my best friends who manages a Starbuck's. He was amazed at how well the aroma and taste was with this. Yet another killer brew from the Shed. Shaun Hill is the number one contender in the Green Mountain state. There is more and more to come from him...trust me.

weeare138, Dec 11, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Off the tap this beer was an opaque black color. The one-finger head was oak-barrel colored and comprised of tiny bubbles. The retention, from cap-to-skim, was good and it left decent lacing. The aroma was of alcohol, roasted malt and espresso bitterness. The flavors were dark and rich but not sweet. It started on a doughy malt note then I tasted a flash of citrus hop bitterness followed by coffee, roasted malt and the long, espresso finish. Very acidic and a lot more tart than one would hope for in a stout; this is a problem I have encountered with several coffee-beer combinations. The mouthfeel was smooth but oily, the body full and the carbonation light.

thekevlarkid, Apr 16, 2009
A Shot In The Dark Espresso Stout from The Shed Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.