2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Terrible Two Barrel-Aged Brown Ale - Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom

Terrible Two Barrel-Aged Brown Ale
No picture uploaded.

Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Arbitrator on 10-28-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3 | Reviews: 3
Reviews by ccrida:
ccrida

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +39.3%

Served snifter at Double Mountain, Terrible Two is dark brown with a creamy, sand colored head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is exceptional, huge coconut, caramelized sugar, with plenty of bourbon, not getting the phenols the previous reviewer panned, the alcohol comes out as it opens, but it's clean.

Taste also has a ton of coconut barrel character, the bourbon is definitely a component, but doesn't overwhelm sweet malty brown ale base, northern English style. There's some heat on the finish, but overall the beer is clean and not overwhelming. I've had this a few times now (including in a beer float at a Double Mountain brewer's dinner, which was awesome), and really like it, a special beer for sure.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick, with a lightness to it, and somewhat but not overly dry finish.

Drinkability is high, as I find it go down dangerously easy. Incredible beer, so delicious, so smooth, so complex, and so satisfying. I'd like to note I'm typing this from notes, and I scored it as is before I read the previous review, so I don't want anyone to think I'm try to off-set that (in my honest opinion outrageously) low score. Obviously different strokes for different folks, but I highly recommend it.

01-18-2010 00:34:43 | More by ccrida
sprucetip

Alaska

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

From notes. Deep brown, almost black, with thin tan head that stays a while. Patchy lacing

Mostly bourbon in the nose, with boozy heat alongside. There is a hint of malty sweetness. I like it, but most inputs are buried under the bourbon.

Strongly bourbon and boozy like the nose, but with a bit more complexity. Malty sweetness barely shines through, though still in the background.

Strong heat and warming, full bodied, and rich. Fairly clean, slightly bitter finish.

Relatively smooth and easy drinking for a big, boozy, bourbon tasting beer. I appreciate the ballsy attempt, even if there are some kinks to work out.

04-29-2010 02:35:09 | More by sprucetip
Arbitrator

1.55/5  rDev -53.9%

10oz in a snifter. On tap at the Green Dragon in Portland.

A: Poured with a half-finger of light tan head, which retains poorly and winds up collapsing into a thin collar on the brew. As I drink, I realize the body is actually a translucent mahogany color with ruby tones against the light. A bit dark, but generally ok, for a brown ale.

S: Oh dear lord. This is a bourbon bomb with the rubbery ethanol that I typically associate with Dogfish Head. Damn. It is pungent even when cold, and gets worse as it warms.

T: When cold, it's bourbon, booze, and grapes. As it warms, the grapes remind me heavily of port or brandy; there is an underlying anise flavor, along with vanilla, nuts, caramel, and light toffee. But mostly it's a bourbon bomb. Kind of a kick in the teeth, really.

M: Medium-full bodied. Pretty flavorful. Not at all shy about the ABV, which is a total deal-breaker.

D: I left some of the glass on the table, and I'd skip it if I saw it again. A nice attempt at a bourbon brown, but they put too much emphasis on the bourbon and forgot the brown. Definitely in the worse half of all the brown ales I've tried, and a poor example of barrel-aging in particular.

10-28-2009 06:22:30 | More by Arbitrator
Terrible Two Barrel-Aged Brown Ale from Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.