Hop'solutely - Allentown Brew Works

Allentown Brew Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yourefragile on 11-07-2009

Has a really hazy look to it I assume from all the hopping but I like that look. The smell reminds me of Nugget Nectar actually with a really sweet tropical fruit/grapefruit like smell. On the taste its really smooth with a sweet tropical fruit flavor all from the hops. The hop flavor is off the charts. Very sweet from the malts and hops coming together in a fantastic unison. On the finish I get such a nice pine/herbal green hop taste and strong bitterness.

The bitterness comes through in a piney green herbal taste. Very delicious. I actually really don't taste that much alcohol and that's awesome for being a 11.5 percent beer. The only hint of it being that high in alcohol is the slight burn it gives you on the way down and the buzz it gives you...wow.

Like I always say.. get this beer, you won't be disappointed. Pennsylvania brews some quality beers wow. The only way you'll be disappointed is if you don't like hops and can't handle a really bitter bite.The IBU's are off the chart here. I'll be sure to definitely try more beers from this brewery. Awesome job Fegley's. To me this is an A plus beer perfect scoring beer to me.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

For my second (and third) rounds at Allentown on 26JAN10, I opted to go DIPAing. And I was not let down! Had 2x of these for $6.50 per 13oz tulip.

My glass was holding a deep golden liquid, with some haze. Slow carbo meandered upwards, creating a fine, creamy white head. Foam was thin, but lasted, and left very nice lacing behind. Nose had lots, and I mean lots, of citrus. Loads! Wow. That was quite the enticement! Body was more than medium; quite viscous for the style. And as it traversed the tongue? Exceedingly smooth. Top-shelf mouthfeel, right here, folks!

Surprisingly, there was some malt evident upon tasting this sucka. It was a touch sweet, bready and toasty. Then? Hops!! And more hops! X10!!Citrus, pine, resiny character - they all coat the palate. Damn, I love this! Way, way too bad I had to up and drive on, else I'd have quaffed more of this and melted away in a lupulin-induced haze. Top-friggin'-shelf!

Zum Wohl!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +22%

12 oz bottle labeled "Triple India Pale Ale"

Pours a deep clear gold into my Duvel tulip. With more light, orange comes through the color. A little haze, but, still really clear. During the pour, a finger and a half head rose up. However, it dissipated very quickly to less than half a finger.

Not a big nose to this one. The hops are floral with sweet citrus - orange, more tangerine. The sweetness is mainly from the malts. Some alcohol in the nose. All of these aromas are subtle. A nice, balanced nose.
-later note- the sweet alcohol and floral hops get bigger as it warms.

Loads of sweetness from the malts on the tip of the tongue and a lingering bitterness on the middle of the tongue in the finish. The lasting bitterness is pleasant and not harsh by any means. Definitely an alcohol presence in the taste, but, it's easily forgotten. I really enjoy how the sweetness comes through in this beer. It keeps the bitterness from wrecking the palate. The hops are both floral and earthy.

The feel of this beer is light, but, not thin at all. It could have been a lot higher in ABV, but, the residual sugar give it a nice body. A little stickiness to it, but, I'm liking it.

A sipper. Too light-bodied to be a barleywine, but, it has the strength and fresh hoppiness of an American BW. This is not a beer that's tough t drink. Too easy for the strength, but, the alcohol notes remind you to take it easy. I'm glad I didn't see the 750 bottles, or else this one might have taken all night.

Seek this out.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Purchased by my fiance for Valentine's Day 2011.
She purchased at Wegmans in Warrington, PA.
The cost was: $8.99/4pk
Enjoyed in DFH Signature Glass.

A - Pours a deep, golden amber color, rather translucent. Pours with a thick, one finger head that quickly dissipates into a creamy covering on top of the beer. A good amount of sticky lacing coats the side of the glass as I enjoy!

S - Awesome citrusy, hoppy smell. One of the best smelling IPA's I've ever had the pleasure of sampling. I have a really good feeling about this already!

T - An awesome combination of cirtusy goodness, very grapefruity, with an unbelievable amount of hoppiness to back it up. Slightly on the sweeter side with a great backbone of maltiness round out this outstanding tasting beer!

M - A far amount of combination gives a nice bite after each sip. A full bodied, moderately heavy beer. Not a session beer due to the high ABV and slight heaviness of the brew.

D - A fantastic tasting beer. A classic IPA taste but packed so full of hops. At 11.5% I know I shouldn't drink more than one or two of these but, damn, these are fantastic! The alcohol, even at this high amount, is phenomenally disguised.

Overall - One of the best tasting DIPA's I've ever laid lips to. A top-5 beer in every sense. A trip to Wegmans to pick up more is definitely in order. Highly recommended!

Follow-up - I can't stop buying this beer! Really, one of my go-to, top-5 beers! I've bought may, many 4-pks since this initial review.

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle picked up last week at the Beer Store.

A-A beautiful pour. Crystal clear amber with a generous amount of white head which has great retention and some stickiness. My favorites of this style have this exact color and clarity.

S-Lovely citrus hops. Tangerine and orange with some nice pine zest as well.

T-Very nicely balanced. Sweet malt stands up very nicely to the juicy hoppiness. Orange citrus fruit takes the lead with a nice finishing bitter/sweet combo. A bit of warming heat in the back of the finish but, hey, it's fresh and 11.5%.

M-Medium bodied and surprisingly light on the tongue. Not tiring to drink at all.

D-As drinkable as a beer this big can get. Holla!

I readily admit to having been a skeptic on this beer. I like Brew Works ok as a rule but would go no farther. I only picked it up when a Philly beer writer said it was as good as PtY, figuring he was out of his mind. It's not *as* good, no it's not. But it's *damn* good, and I will be happy to have it around in the 11.5 months of the year I can not get Pliny.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

12oz bottle, no date. labeled "Triple IPA".

appears a hazy orangish amber color, nice white head 1/4" thick that hangs around. good lacing.

a variety of hop aromas - piney, earthy, but mostly citrus. grapefruit? hops definitely dominate the taste, but are not overpowering, a nice balance of malt. aftertaste is sticky and sweet.

nice level of carbonation moves it across the palate. body is about right for the style. no hint of the massive 11.5% abv. surprisingly easy to drink.

Don Russell (beer writer for Philly Inquirer and BA Mag) named this his 2010 Beer of the Year, calling it a good local alternate to Pliny the Younger, without all the hype. I've only had the Pliny the Elder, but its definitely close in the quality. And for $9 a 4-pack.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE - Bubbles, light, clear, foamy, 2FH that lasts, a lot of lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, pine, grain.

TASTE - Hops, malts, nutty, pine.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Good carbonation, dry, bubbly, clean, light, crisp.

VALUE - 4-pack $11.99. Great buy.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Just a hint of boozy, but still quite a pleasant Imperial.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A six pack of hops, a six pack of alcohol and seemingly a six pack of glass in this remarkably thick glassed cork bottle.

Nice clear deep gold color with a frothy head if you're not careful with the pour.

A nice take on a triple IPA as far as I'm concerned. Malt backbone strong enough to let the heavy, almost tangy hops shine above it. Both balance the strong alcohol content niceley

As you sip this over a good long time, the hop effect stays strong and never dulls. I' m impressed. It's not up there with my all time favorite doubles, but I would put it up there as a recommended try, and is an outstanding effort from an East Coast brewery.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

Hop'solutely pours a darker cooper color, with a good lacing head. The aroma is very strong, very hoppy, but a sweetness makes it way through. The taste is sheer bitter. Very hoppy, sharp on the tounge, alot of floral flavors. Very strong bold flavor, not for the fainthardted. Overall a great IPA, very strong, I dont think it is as good as a hopslam, but very enjoyable never the less.

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow this was so frigging good last night. Grabbed 2 bottles part of a pick 6 Allentown Wegmans. No bottle date and I did worry was this the oldest broken down 4 pak in the store? I did have one once must have been so old it was just terrible.

Popped the cap and the hops just jumped out of the bottle, smelled very fresh. That's a good start. Pretty color, big aroma bitter grapefruit, bitter orange, little pine. And that's exactly what it tastes like, big bitter, long lingering after taste. Nicely malted for balance, but letting the hops shine through. Smooth and very strong. Delicious.

This is an old favorite from early craft days 2010. While (with just the one above mentioned) always good, last night's beer must have just hit that perfect spot where the hops have mellowed just enough to create an outstanding experience. One of my favorite IPAs and so easily available. Did I mention this was $2 a bottle. Better than alot of more expensive beer.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

A- Bomber poured into a dfh snifter. Nice reddish brown color, mediocre head that disappears shortly. Nothing here to give you a big clue.
S- Unusual for a big ipa. Malt is quite prominent in nose, hops secondary.
T- Very good malt dominates, but hops are present in adequate quantities. The alcohol is well hidden for a 11.5 abv beer. Guessing ibus are low 70s.
M- Great, malt, hops, not too heavy on tongue/palate
D-Easy to drink, but at 11.5 abv don't have more than 2 bombers or you will be stumbling and having difficulties conversing.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Well I hope I got this right... I saw it listed under Bethlehem Brew Works as well, but the label reads Allentown. Additionally, this bottle is corked and caged, and the picture currently on the site is simply capped. Is this contract brewed? Perhaps at Sly Fox? Anyway...

Poured into an Imperial pint Nonic glass (perhaps not a great idea at 11.5% abv) it displays a surprisingly clear golden-amber body beneath a frothy head of bone white. There is some haze to it, but it's surprisingly minor, especially given that it's a very hoppy beer. The label reads "bottle conditioned" but there's very little sediment. I'll guess that it's only slightly bottle conditioned, starting with a pretty good carbonation level of about 2.4 volumes to begin with. The head retention is really quite good, and it'll hold a fairly thick and solid cap across the surface throughout at least the first half of the glass. Solid walls of lacing round it out and bring it to a first-class appearance.

The aroma is obviously hoppy - how could a "triple" IPA not be? It's not a stunner though. It's fresh and bright, and resinous but it doesn't knock you over. It's fruity but only mildly citrusy (pineapple/orange) with some grassiness and a hint of pine needle .... I can't quite pick up the hop, or the blend, but I'm sensing Cascade and Amarillo, with perhaps some Goldings to round it out. I find it kind of an English/American mix, but at the same time there is a raspy edge that I associate with west coast beers, namely Port Brewing, so I don't know... Some yeastiness also comes through. Forgetting that it's supposedly a "triple" IPA it scores pretty high for aroma. As a "triple" I'd say it lacks - there are single IPAs that match the volume of aroma found here.

The body is good. It's not over-done and malty as one might expect of a "triple" IPA. But let's get rid of that descriptor, it's not a "triple" IPA. It's a double. If anyone can come up with just cause as to why this is a "triple" IPA over all of the the double IPA s that are already on the market I'd love to hear it. BUT, even as a double IPA, it's finely tuned and balanced. There's enough malt to balance the hops, with just enough sweetness and body to get you there. Kudos!!!

Onward to the taste... well, everything that's come before pretty much follows as it's not over-done, and it's nicely rounded and balanced. There are some nice caramel and dark sugar notes amidst the soft maltiness to give it a full character without becoming cloying. Some yeasty presence is there as well, and then the raspy fruitiness of the hops steps in. It's not overly bitter - and, in fact, it's actually fairly soft and accessible for a double IPA. I find it pleasantly lingers on the palate with a bit of spiciness and pungent hops amidst a delicate malt base; and to be honest, that's what makes it - it starts firm, rises across the palate, and then gently settles in the finish. Which brings us to drinkability...

... it's a solid beer. It's very drinkable. It's NOT a triple IPA, but it is a REMARKABLE double IPA that's nicely done and well worth trying. I'd pair it with some spicy and herbal BBQ, or some toasted bread and blue cheese - even some Gorgonzola for a more minty mix. And I'll even just throw in almost anything Mexican because it can stand up to the heat and balances the tomatoes a little bit.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer again for the first time in about three years. Pineapple on the nose and a fruity flavor that was delicious on the tongue. This is a grossly underrated brew. Should easily be in the score 95+ category at this site.

4.29/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a crisp, clear, deep gold color with a massive billowing three finger rocky head.

The aroma is dominated by a sweet, oily, greasey hops. Aside from the inviting hop aroma there's fruity citrus, along with a spicey hop oil character with not much malt. For an 11.5% beer, the ABV is practically undetectable.

Taste is similar to what was picked up in the nose, the hop taste is absolutely magnificent. Lots and lots of tangy, sweet, acidic hop oiliness dominates with some apple, pine, and citrus to round things out. Up front there's a quick hit of malt and it immediately gets buried under the hops. This beer ends nicely starting with oily bitterness morphing into a citric, dry metallic-like finish. At this point, the alcohol still isn't that detectable, amazing.

Hop'Solutely has a heavy medium body, a little sticky sweet, is semi-smooth with small amounts of prickliness, and drinkability runs very high.

For those of us who are hop addicts, it's by far the best beer to date from the Brewworks. I'm enjoying this in a snifter and the only thing I can compare it to is the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid off the tap. I absolutely love this beer and I tip my glass to Bo on this one. How can you cram this much ABV in a beer and not taste it? Wow! Although I'm confused because this is the best value case price for a beer of this magnitude but yet one of the pricier growler fills. Still, I think it's better than the overall rating

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

One of the most complex beers I've had lately. The bitterness is followed by a lovely sweet aroma and aftertaste. Pours virtually no head but the lovely amber color of the brew compensates for it.

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer looks, smells, tastes and feels like it was made too. A huge mess of pine, citrus, sweetness with a bit of booze at the finish line. You're not gonna find an Imperial IPA w/ this ABV that makes everyone happy. As a Hophead I would go to this beer over just about any DIPA or TIPA that I have had lately based on the taste and $$ value.

Overall: Met all expectations of what I was expecting and after dropping $53, I don't regret one sip......

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

(no dates on the bottle - poured into a tulip)

A: fairly clear, fiery amber hued liquid... spongy, sticky off-white foam atop... I saw somewhere where this is supposedly bottle-conditioned - I'm not sure that's the case with this bottle, as it poured remarkably polished for a hop bomb

S: melange of citrus aromas with an acidic edge to them... zesty, grassy... perhaps a bit of a mild toasty, caramelized character in the background - mid-dark crystal malt covered in citric acid?... the alcohol is pretty well-tempered by the juicy malts that come more to the fore

T: the alcohol does, however, surge right on through to the back of the throat upon first sip - medicinal, with an unrefined, cheap vodka quality to it, and it sets up shop back there for the duration... luckily, this is met in brashness and boldness by the pungent, pith-y citrus tones of the hops... light showing of pale and light crystal malts in the aftertaste, a bit of black pepper as well... quite bitter and spicy-hot hops hold on the back of the tongue, with a slight vegetal, tannic nuance to them, kinda like putting some whole-flower hops in your mouth and just sucking on them... but, all in all, the taste is pleasingly well-tailored and crisp, with the booze doing its fair share to keep the volume loud

M: medium-full bodied up front, but excellently dry in the finish... easy as hell to knock back, not at all weighty

O: exceeded my expectations, I suppose... actually fine work for an IPA of this magnitude... I'd certainly recommend it for hop lovers looking to have their palates shredded

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Beautiful golden in color. Small fizzy head. And slightly murky. The color does it.

S: Pine and flower hops. Honey. A little alcoholy. Pretty malty for an IIPA. Vanilla pudding. Vanilla icing. Slight, slight woody. Butter. A buttered roll.

T: Buttery. Flowery. Caramely. Vanilla. Really sugary sweet.

M: A little oily. Thick and chewy tho. Good coat on the tongue.

O: We drank this next to Capt Lawrence's IIPA, Hop Slam, and Hop Riot; and this hung with 'big boys' for sure.

4.19/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Unknown bottled date but I know it's a few months old.
last of my 4-pack

Vigorous pour, little head. Slight haze, light gold.

Fruity and earthy. Having this outside just after cutting the grass so leaning more earthy, grassy. Remembered the other three more on the citrus spectrum.

Tangy and a touch bitter on first sip. Some alcohol burn but barely. Hides the abv well. a bit of lemon and orange and fresh cut grass again. Pineapple. Not much malt, a touch of biscuit, but not overly hoppy either

Medium body and medium to high carbonation. Pretty clean and crisp for such high abv. Surprised.

This is a pretty good surprise beer. Was expecting this to be overly boozy but it's a really flavorful and refreshing DIPA. Under-rated in my opinion. Seek this one out.

4.19/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this one on Sat, Feb 27. Split a bottle with a friend over dinner. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Golden color with a gigantic head that overflowed the glass. Wasn't poured too fast, and glass was clean. Seemed like something I made once that was just over carbonated. Head settled to about three fingers. Lots and lots of citrusy hops in the nose and something sweet in there as well. First sip is not what I expected. Tasted more like a wine at first. Thought it may be an older bottle, but after that, BAM! hops like I couldn't believe. They were for sure still there. As for being 11.5% ABV, you would never know by the taste. Finishes very sweet and lasts a long time in the mouth. Almost have to was out with something before the next sip.

Overall, a pretty good brew. If it was sold around here, I would probably keep a few in the fridge for something different.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

A- This beer was poured into a pint glass. Has a white foamy inch of head. Moderate lacing

S-You can smell that it is packed with hops it smells potent.

T- For being 11.5 percent alcohol it does hide it very well. It goes down smooth for being so potent.

overall- It will sneak up on you and get you. After 6 or 7 you should be feeling alright.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle in a stemmed tulip glass.

A- poured an effervescent copper-amber color, slight haze, 1F linen white colored head that left wispy lacing.

S- Citrus hops up front, sugared grapefruit. Some earthiness with the mild warming alcohol, like herbs and a touch of onion.

T- Big malt flavor with some alcohol singe to start. Citrus hops and a touch of sweets catch up.

M- Lots of body, syrupy, tingly carbonation. Dry hoppy pucker finish.

O- Excellent. Not too sweet or boozy, which is a pleasant surprise from an IPA above 8.0% abv. Much easier to drink than many other big IPAs that I've tried, and still packs a punch.

4.17/5  rDev +13%

On cask, via gravity fed firkin, @ the 2011 Philadelphia Real Ale Invitational (Yards Brewing in Philadelphia, PA) on 3/20/11. Served in a tasting glass.

Pours a deep murky burnt orange (with some gold edging) in the glass, with a rich and frothy bright-white head that stays robust and soaps the sides with some heavy lacing. The aroma smells like straight-up grapefruit juice (not surprising, since it looks like it to), mixed with notes of pine and spice. Ripe tropical fruit and sweet sugary grains balance that more aggressive hop character across the back of the nose, while the whole nose is wrapped up in a powerful floral feel. That grapefruit is the big winner here though.

The taste also has a TON of pithy grapefruit flavor to it, that spreads a good bit of resins and spice out into the mouth. Sweet fruit and malts are confined to the back of the profile but still do a great balancing out the bitterness here while still keeping the focus on those robust hop flavors. A hearty lingering bitterness is evened out by leftover sugars, leaving behind a moderate dryness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a softer carbonation on the edges that makes this feel lighter than that bigger ABV would indicate. This does mostly feel on the sharper side in the mouth though, which really brings all of that pine out on the tongue. Naturally there is some alcohol warmth across the back of the feel here for an 11% beer but this it's honestly nothing outrageous feeling. I will say that this does hide it a lot better on cask than it did out of the bottle.

You know, I was a little iffy on this beer having only had it so far out of the bottle, but the cask conditioning here really showed me the potential of the fresh hop flavors that this thing is packing. Hey, I'm a sucker for robust grapefruit flavors in beers, and this brought it in spades. I'm not sure if the alcohol would be wearing on the palate after a full glass but taking this is several 4 oz samples was a real treat. I would definitely try this again if I saw it on cask.

4.17/5  rDev +13%

Bought a 4pk over the summer on vacation in PA. The 1st one...Amazing! Hop Overload! Great citrus, pine and grapefruit overtones! Reminds me much of Bell’s Hopslam. At 11.5% this tastes well balance and masks the Alcohol perfectly. Sat on the remaining couple....like all IPA the hops have mellowed out a tad. Still very good, balanced and potent!

4.17/5  rDev +13%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a globe glass.

Appearance: a rather clear golden yellow with a big two finger thick head that lasts and leaves rings of lacing as I drink it.

Smells: there is a mild malt character through the citrus/pine hops.

Tastes: A big pine hop that has orange zest and a little malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: weighing in at 11.5% this is a super smooth brew with little burn and great carbonation.

Overall: I really enjoyed this one, and at $8 a four pack I would make it a regular if it was always around

Hop'solutely from Allentown Brew Works