Hop'solutely - Allentown Brew Works

Hop'solutelyHop'solutely

good

Allentown Brew Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 11-07-2009)
2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

750ml corked & caged bottle courtesy of ShanePB via the Hotter than Hot BIF. Served in a Jester King snifter.

Hopsolutely pours with a somewhat lackluster, brassy-golden body--hazy from the bottle conditioning and the white head is minimal. The aroma definitely picked things up a bit, delivering sweet, boozy notes of caramel & cotton candy, plus lots of hoppy goodness. Tropical fruit notes of peach and papaya. If Hop Candy existed (which it probably does), it would taste like this beer smells.

Unfortunately, the flavor takes an abrasive turn after an initially pleasing burst of pale malts, tropical hop flavor, and sweet boozy yeast esters. Alcohol and hop bitterness sting the back of the palate and linger long after each sip with a harsh, medicinal twang. Aside from the finish, the mouthfeel is decent with a medium-thick body and appropriate carbonation level. Not too syrupy or overly heavy on the palate. I really wanted to like this IIPA, but the one-two punch of ethanol and alpha acids on the back end of each sip really left me struggling to get through half the bottle.

wagenvolks, May 26, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Pours a hazy gold with a slight amber hue; almost no head is visible and has a sticky film that clings to the side of the glass. No carbonation is visible.

N: Rich caramel, cough syrup, sugar and a little toffee. No hops are apparent.

T: Sweet toffee, caramel, sugar, cough syrup, Tootsie Roll and a slight booziness. No hops and no bitterness.

M: Full bodied, chewy and sticky.

O: They should really change the name of this beer. I understand there might be a lot of hops in this but that's only balancing the maltiness and it's still on the sweet side. This beer has barely any hop presence so if that's what you're looking for skip this beer. This tastes closer to an English Barleywine rather than any kind of IPA. It hides the alcohol presence pretty well and is still a decent brew just don't expect any hops.

justintcoons, May 20, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -16%

A - Very nice yellow-ish foamy head. Brew is orange/yellow, slightly murky. Lacing isn't bad, but not amazing.

S - Smells super sugary; is it a sugar bomb? Very pineapple, apricot, and raisin. Smells bitter.

T - WOW, super sugar bomb! Tastes exactly like it smells. Heavy heat on the back end of this brew with extreme sweetness on the front.

M - Heavy and HOT! Fluffy brew with hard to trace flavors. morderately hard carbonation that does't break down too well...

O - A good brew that could be vastely improved with subtle changes. This brew could stand to age AWHILE!!! A good brew in a good trade! Thank you brendaniel!

Cheers!

chugalug06, May 17, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle

Pours a slightly hazy, dark golden orange color with a 1.5 finger frothy off-white head that slowly settles into a lasting cap. Sporadic chunks and streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Sweet citrus hop aroma with lots of tropical fruit and citrus rind along with some subtle earthy, floral pine, booze and pale malt. Lots of mango, papaya and pineapple with some orange ring and grapefruit. Slightly grassy and floral with some biscuit and graham cracker malt character underneath. Smells great.

Chewy full body with a decent balance of sweeter citrus/tropical fruit and sticky, resinous hop bitterness. Drier than expected with a prominent grassy pine needle character that is bit strong, coating the tongue and slightly overpowering the sweeter notes. Hints of citrus and tropical fruit, especially mango, pineapple and orange rind give it some nice sweetness but there's also a very sweet and hot boozy presence that takes away from the hop flavor. The high ABV is not very well masked resulting in plenty of heat throughout and warmth in the finish. Kind of harsh but still decently drinkable. Pale malt underneath provides some balance with hints of grainy graham cracker, caramel and biscuit.

Overall, this beer was pretty much what I expected. It looks okay and smells great but at the 11.5% it's too ht and boozy, distracting from the complex hop flavors. Not bad but not something that I would g out of the way to seek out again. I'm very happy that I went with the 12oz over the 750.

corby112, May 04, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Picked this up via the single bottle in Totowa. I love IPA's and the beers that I had a few years ago at the Bethlehem Brew Works in Pennsylvania were decent, while certainly not the best that I've enjoyed. That being said, this did *not* feel like a Double or a Triple IPA and as others have said, this is a monster...probably to the point of being a monster-like Barleywine.

Nice head to the pour and a bright copper hue to the beer as I let it settle. Not much of an aroma to this - just faint citrus notes and a heavy, earthy hop presence. The taste was that of sweetness and alcohol. Actually, make that lots of both. This had such a warming effect to it without any burn or puckering that I had to check the bottle several times while going through this. Was that rye I tasted? Why didn't the pine last for more than a few seconds? Why did the aftertaste feel so sugary with just a hint of caramel, drowning out whatever hop notes were in this? I don't know but I had to pace myself so I didn't end up on the ground by the end of my drinking session.

This is strong, really strong and it tastes really strong on top of that. This was not a bad beer but something was amiss for it to taste totally different than what I expected and what the style tends to be like. The mouthfeel was balanced somewhat well but there is so much "loudness" going on here that I never got a chance to enjoy this. Could this beer be an example of what's wrong with the hop-bomb arms race? Possibly. If I ever need something in the winter after dinner to end the night and warm me up, I'd pull for this but otherwise, I'd steer clear and just go for what I want next time. This has a major identity crisis that needs to be worked out first.

JerzDevl2000, May 02, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark hazy amber colour. 3 fingers of creamy off white head that sticks around with nice lace.

S: Mostly dark sweet fruits in the nose. No hops, just sugary fruity sweetness. I like the nose, but not typical of a DIPA.

T: Hops are muted in the taste as well. Dark fruity sweetness up front. Slightly bitter but mostly boozy finish.

M: Medium body with low carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel.

Overall a below average DIPA. Very atypical. Not much in the way off hops. Sweetness dominates.

muletrane, May 02, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -25.7%

Looks just fine coming out of the bottle, golden with a frothy head and some decent lacing. Smells at first of pine citrus, sweet bread and a bit of booze but as it warms the booze becomes more prominant. LIke a hoppy Sherry almost after about 10 minutes.
Taste is sweeter and boozier than any other Strong IPA I've ever had. Not bad but not what I wa slooking for. The hops are there but subdued by the Sherry Booziness and sweet bready flavors. Mouthfeel was just fine, medium body and nicely carbonated. Overall, this is not what I want in a Double/Imp IPA. Too much booze and sweetness, not enough stiicky pine, floural tastes or aroma's and no balence to it just too much going on. I would NOT buy this again

thepeter, Apr 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -16%

I had this sit out for about forty-five minutes after I had taken it out of the fridge. Not by choice, had a little bit of an emergency. Anyway... on with the review...

Off white creamy head that doesn't seem to disappear rapidly at all. Light copper color body. Slow paced moving bubbles on the bottom, about midway they speed up.

Citrus, piney hops and a breadiness comes through. Smells nice.

The tastes are pine, booze, booze, some more booze, maltiness and some bitterness. There wasn't a booze aroma at all very well hidden for such a boozey taste.

Medium body, light carbonation, total alcohol warmth going down as if I took a shot of vodka.

Two thirds done and I have to step away for a little bit. Alcohol is very dominate and takes away from most of the taste. At first sip I thought I was sipping rubbing alcohol... what a shame, really thought this was going to taste great.

9InchNails, Apr 28, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: Very hazy, dark golden/brown undertones; murky. Bubbly 1.5 inch head that quickly dissipates but features great retention. Lacing is moderate.

Smell: Hop aromas up front appearing as a fresh orange zest note. The hops, however, struggle to compete against very sweet malt aromas which come off as a cotton candy sort of scent. Faint whiff of solvent-like alcohol hangs out in the background. Not as complex and pungent as I expected, but still a nice fresh hop aroma.

Taste: Malt backbone is most apparent and defeats the hops. I think they tried to go too big here in creating a "triple" IPA. It's overly sweet, and only mildly bitter in the finish - something I would not expect of this style that's supposed to be generously hopped.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and creamy, but slightly flat on the carbonation. No real syrupiness which is nice.

Overall: Not really that impressed. I think they were swinging for the fences here. It's somewhat drinkable because the high ABV is masked, but it really doesn't strike me as anything innovative and epic as far as imperial IPAs go. This needs some major work before it's serious competition.

turnstile, Apr 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

nice dark gold appearance. big head that stayed put until the drinking began, then quickly dissipated.

Piney, malty,boozy, slight citrus aroma.

Shocked at the malt presence, but at 11.5 abv, I guess I shouldnt be. Very prominent malt/boozy backbone. I would say it even overpowers the hops. Could be the sweetest IPA Ive ever had. Sweet as in sugary sweet. A Bitter hoppy finish comes in and is again overpowered by boozy malty sweetness as the aroma and initial head fade.

Mouthfeel follows as above, at 1st few sips, I thought I could drink this all nite. Becomes extremely belgian-y as you finish.

A nice beer, dont know that I would feel comfortable branding this a tirple IPA, but a great beer.

BabySnakes, Apr 22, 2011

A - Rich golden body with a nice thin off white head.

S - Lots of pungent hop aromas. Big nose of bitter grapefruit and some citrus rind. Sweet and fresh hop flower here.

T - A big bite of well rounded hops. Slight hop spice and hop crispness. Nice compliment to the hop bite is a nice mingling of bitter/fresh grapefruit.

M - Medium body and easy carbonation, this beer is pretty smooth for the amount of hops used. Slight hop dryness making you want to sip more.

O - A very nice choice here, a triple IPA. The hop character doesn't rip your tongue out but packs plenty of flavor and punch.

BeerForMuscle, Apr 17, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Light tangerine-copper pour with a smallish head

Smell: Citrus and booze with some off flavors

Taste: This beer is disgusting, something wrong with the hops (and I love DIPAs). They tried to get creative but it backfired. Also a pure sugar (not malt) taste to it.

Mouthfeel: Off carbonation, thin feel.

Drinkability: I dumped this one.

craytonic, Apr 17, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

I picked this up at Quick Six Mt Rose in York, PA -the bottle says it was bottled at Allentown brew works ( I had to check since the Bethlehem version is on BA too)Poured chilled into a stange.

The color is amber like apple juice bordering on red with good clarity and visibly carbonated with a thick white head that falls fast and turns into a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks well. The smell is mild with floral and fruit notes until it gets more toward cellar temp where is morphs into a caramel and alcohol dominated aroma -not the best for this style. The feel lets you know the aroma was not far off with moderate bitterness but balanced by a large amount of caramel sweetness and carbonation is low for the style which makes the feel seem more sweet with a lot of alcohol in the feel and semi-dry finish.

I was not sure how the draft version could be so different from the bottle, sure the hops are there, but it is not suffering from age -it was only in the fridge for 10 or 12 days. It may have been sitting on the shelf for a couple of weeks, but I sampled my own homebrewed Triple IPA which was brewed mid-January side by side and it had not degraded at all so It may just be variance between batches. I don't consider this a bad tasting imperial IPA at all - nice pithy citrus and floral hop accents, but there could be a bit less caramel in the taste. The sweetness is more of a mouthfeel preference -I generally like big IPA's dry, but I only took off a 1/2 pt for that. I think it doesn't really have any 'obvious' flaws, just misses the mark on the fullness and bitterness of the hops slightly. overall I would not purchase this again in the bottle -I can think of 1/2 a dozen other Imperial IPA's I would rather drink without the extremely high alcohol and more hop flavor - if you do try this I would suggest getting it on draft it is almost night and day the difference in flavor.

Slatetank, Apr 13, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

A- Clear golden amber with a creamy off-white head that lasts, leaving soapy lacing down the glass.

N- Big caramel malt aromas surrounded phenols, bubble gum, and ripe bananas. Very strange.

T- Really weird flavor. Sweet caramel malt with that distracting phenolic bubble gum character. Also some tropical fruit underneath, but it's very hard to get past the phenols. Grassy/herbal hop bitterness is very dry and clings to the tongue. Aftertaste of dry powdery hops and grapefruit.

M- Medium-bodied, creamy carbonation, with a bone-dry finish.

D- Overall, an incredibly strange beer. Tastes like they use a belgian yeast, and I am not a fan of phenols, so I really did not enjoy the experience.

KevinBrewer, Apr 12, 2011

Big thanks to Ed at Half Time for scoring me this, and trading me for a hb since I'm temporarily unemployed (and nearly broke). Cheers, Ed!

Golden amber with a cloudy look, topped by a half finger of off white head, then a bubbly skim.

Nose is dank and vegetal all the way, baby, some pine hiding in there, a bit of peach, alcohol, and neutral sweet. Has the smell of a monster!

Big taste! Starts with a bitch slap of alcohol, vegetal, mango, alcohol, a dollop of syrupy caramel sweet, crazy hop tones beyond description, really herbal bitter at the end. It finishes with a vapor rush of alcohol and deep bitter and pine resin. Man this is serious hoppiness and ethanol ferrsure! Not as refined and complex as others, but who wants a refined and complex monster.

In the mouth it's every bit as monstrous as the nose. Nicely low carb., highly viscous, super cling which doesn't clear, and a finish that is alcoholic and dangerously strong. Not as clean as many others, but who wants a clean monster anyway?

Not to repeat, but overall this is a monster and if you like monsters like I do you are sure to like this monster.

Impression: If you're a monster hunter, be on the lookout for this one.

cavedave, Apr 07, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Pours a murky copper color with a nice egg shell colored head. Head has pretty good lacing and leaves some nice lacing down the glass.

S- Bready malts, sweet caramel, tropical fruits and piney hops. A great mixture and balanced very well.

T- Piney hops, alcohol, tropical fruits pack a nice punch right of the start. The malts are here but kind of buried unlike the nose.

M- Medium in body and carbonation seems a bit higher than I like.

O- Overall not too bad. A sipper for sure. I could drink this one again.

nrbw23, Mar 29, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from a 750 into a DFH snifter

A - Light amber pour with an inch or so tight, white head. Good retention with a webby lace.

S - Scents of grapefruit, orange and tropical fruit. Slight hints of alcohol with a solvent edge.

T&M - This is a very sweet, tropical accented IIPA. My palate is smacked with passion fruit, pineapple and grapefruit with a pithy edge, and tangerine. Alcohol I think heightens the fruity character, and gives a warmth in the back of the throat. The hoppy, pithy tang is felt all the way down to my stomach...I'm not entirely sure in a really pleasant way. There is some balance from the malt, but additional sweetness with a bit of caramel as well. This is heavier bodied, and the finish is sweet with a somewhat chalky feel.

O - Not really my bag...I've read some other reviews that seem to suggest the bottle is the least preferred way to sample this brew. I'm finding this to be exceptionally heavy with a sweetness that builds over time and starts to render it less appealing. I like tropical and I like passion fruit, but this is just too much.

ZeroSignal, Mar 26, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

On cask, via gravity fed firkin, @ the 2011 Philadelphia Real Ale Invitational (Yards Brewing in Philadelphia, PA) on 3/20/11. Served in a tasting glass.

Pours a deep murky burnt orange (with some gold edging) in the glass, with a rich and frothy bright-white head that stays robust and soaps the sides with some heavy lacing. The aroma smells like straight-up grapefruit juice (not surprising, since it looks like it to), mixed with notes of pine and spice. Ripe tropical fruit and sweet sugary grains balance that more aggressive hop character across the back of the nose, while the whole nose is wrapped up in a powerful floral feel. That grapefruit is the big winner here though.

The taste also has a TON of pithy grapefruit flavor to it, that spreads a good bit of resins and spice out into the mouth. Sweet fruit and malts are confined to the back of the profile but still do a great balancing out the bitterness here while still keeping the focus on those robust hop flavors. A hearty lingering bitterness is evened out by leftover sugars, leaving behind a moderate dryness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a softer carbonation on the edges that makes this feel lighter than that bigger ABV would indicate. This does mostly feel on the sharper side in the mouth though, which really brings all of that pine out on the tongue. Naturally there is some alcohol warmth across the back of the feel here for an 11% beer but this it's honestly nothing outrageous feeling. I will say that this does hide it a lot better on cask than it did out of the bottle.

You know, I was a little iffy on this beer having only had it so far out of the bottle, but the cask conditioning here really showed me the potential of the fresh hop flavors that this thing is packing. Hey, I'm a sucker for robust grapefruit flavors in beers, and this brought it in spades. I'm not sure if the alcohol would be wearing on the palate after a full glass but taking this is several 4 oz samples was a real treat. I would definitely try this again if I saw it on cask.

Kegatron, Mar 24, 2011

Had this on 2011-03-19 in Columbia, PA

A - Hazy, amber-orange with a 2-finger head (that fades quickly_ and good lacing into a nonic glass.

S - Pine and tropical fruit. Could smell it immediately after cracking the top. The aroma doesn't fill the room but it's not a shrinking violet either.

T - A bit odd and kind of boozy. Too-sweet caramel malt, pine, citrus then more sweet grain and cough syrup. It is followed by a decent amount of lingering bitterness and citrus but I can't get past the sweet-medicinal and metallic tastes.

M - Light to medium body and light carbonation. Too thick. Resinous and a bit prickly.

O - Well, I'd certainly rather have it than lots of commercial brews, and it does have its good points but I think I'll wait for a formula tweak before I try it again.

Tucquan, Mar 20, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

JUST received this brew from Gibby out of Philly. He's been raving about this brew for quite some time so I better review! Drank from my Surlyfest mug while watching the NCAA tourney.

Appearance- Pours a darkish ruby orange with a nice half finger bubbly off-white head. A bit of random lacing is strewn about along with a beautiful cap and collar.
Smell- Pretty damned intense nose as a huge, almost buttery, caramel maltiness is noticeably in charge. The sweetness smells like it could be a bit much as the candy aspect is full of red licorice and butterscotch. A definite hoppiness is present but it's melded with the malt and just adds a fruity touch to everything. Sort of orange-ish as it warms as well.
Taste- Starts with an intense, almost harsh, bitterness that bites the back of the throat almost instantly. It's sort of fruity with a bitter grapefruit and pineapple hoppiness that is literally tongue shredding. I haven't had such a hoppy, bitter in quite some time. I wish the sweetness was toned down just a hair though. Caramel and even a tinge of vanilla toward the finish along with plenty of alcohol.
Mouthfeel- Really not the best part of the beer as it's too thick and syrupy. A light spritzy carbonation really isn't enough to lighten up the brew.
Drinkability- I feel like they use malt extract in this brew because it's SO syrupy. It's too sweet and feels a bit under attenuated but all in all I do like it. It's so bitter and brash that I'm just sort of drawn to everything. It's definitely more Barleywine than IPA but that's okay. Thanks much Jeff!!

younger35, Mar 17, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle, no date. labeled "Triple IPA".

appears a hazy orangish amber color, nice white head 1/4" thick that hangs around. good lacing.

a variety of hop aromas - piney, earthy, but mostly citrus. grapefruit? hops definitely dominate the taste, but are not overpowering, a nice balance of malt. aftertaste is sticky and sweet.

nice level of carbonation moves it across the palate. body is about right for the style. no hint of the massive 11.5% abv. surprisingly easy to drink.

Don Russell (beer writer for Philly Inquirer and BA Mag) named this his 2010 Beer of the Year, calling it a good local alternate to Pliny the Younger, without all the hype. I've only had the Pliny the Elder, but its definitely close in the quality. And for $9 a 4-pack.

jmdrpi, Mar 16, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Reviewed solo, served into a short pint glass.

Appearance: pours a slightly cloudy light amber brown with 1 finger of fine and coarse head.

Smell: I got a ton of chinese herbal roots, as well as musty caramelized hops.

Taste: starts with a strong yeasty and candied malt as a sharp hop and grassy profile dwarfs the malt backbone. I bunch of earthy profile emerge at this brew warms. This amplifies the ABV in this brew which finishes the brew leaving a grassy and hop bittness on the palate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a slick oily consistency which I attribute to the ABV and style. Medium carbonation with a warming finish,

Drinkability: Unfortunately a one and done for me.I recommend this to those seeking a syrupy Triple IPA with an intense flavor profile.

capra12, Mar 16, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours an amber body with orange/golden hues beneath a thin, yet dense off-white head that quickly dissolves but leaves a thin layer of lacing for the duration.

Aromas consist of floral and herbal hops with faint hints of sweet malt and citrus.

The taste is quite different than some of its peers coming across with spicy herbal and floral hop notes up front to a malty sweetness mid-palate combined with fruits that are citrus such as mango or orange, and then resorting back to the spicy hops.

Medium body and medium carbonation with an oily coating and bitey finish.

This beer seems to be inconsistent, yet tasty all at once. Perhaps not as well developed as some others in the category, yet very respectable.

CHADMC3, Mar 11, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

12 oz bottle labeled "Triple India Pale Ale"

Pours a deep clear gold into my Duvel tulip. With more light, orange comes through the color. A little haze, but, still really clear. During the pour, a finger and a half head rose up. However, it dissipated very quickly to less than half a finger.

Not a big nose to this one. The hops are floral with sweet citrus - orange, more tangerine. The sweetness is mainly from the malts. Some alcohol in the nose. All of these aromas are subtle. A nice, balanced nose.
-later note- the sweet alcohol and floral hops get bigger as it warms.

Loads of sweetness from the malts on the tip of the tongue and a lingering bitterness on the middle of the tongue in the finish. The lasting bitterness is pleasant and not harsh by any means. Definitely an alcohol presence in the taste, but, it's easily forgotten. I really enjoy how the sweetness comes through in this beer. It keeps the bitterness from wrecking the palate. The hops are both floral and earthy.

The feel of this beer is light, but, not thin at all. It could have been a lot higher in ABV, but, the residual sugar give it a nice body. A little stickiness to it, but, I'm liking it.

A sipper. Too light-bodied to be a barleywine, but, it has the strength and fresh hoppiness of an American BW. This is not a beer that's tough t drink. Too easy for the strength, but, the alcohol notes remind you to take it easy. I'm glad I didn't see the 750 bottles, or else this one might have taken all night.

Seek this out.

ajfa531, Mar 09, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -6%

Bright medium copper color with good head and excellent lacing.

Rye bread and alchohol on the nose. Herbal and citrus hops compete with sweet darkish malts for attention. Medium sweet finish.

Juicy medium body with good carbonation.

Not a bad big IPA. Kind of boozy, especially as it warms up.

CliffBrake, Mar 08, 2011